Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

Would You Consider ĄDos! a Concept Album?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Kuwanger

Kuwanger

Welcome to Paradise

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined Nov 03, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

¡Dos! has been referred by the band as the "party" album of The Trilogy Albums.

...yet is it also a CONCEPT album?

Your thoughts?

#2 blitzkriegdeb

blitzkriegdeb

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2008

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

POPULAR

The whole trilogy is a sort of "concept", in the loosest terms. It totally not American Idiot or 21stCB concept style, but there is a little bit of a theme between the 3 albums:

Uno: Getting ready for the party
Dos: The out of control party that ends with a hint of regret.
Tre: The reflection that, hey, I probably shouldn't have gone to that fucking party.

Individually, no, the albums don't really have a concept. All together, they do have a little bit of a similar concept going on. Again, using "concept" in the loosest terms (no characters or anything like that).
  • localinsomniac, gerardsangel4977, Heisenberg and 7 others like this

#3 nah

nah

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Not really.

#4 Lulu Flowers

Lulu Flowers

Brat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

The songs are all somehow related, but it I wouldnt consider it a concept album.

#5 !

!

Supermodel Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Concept album no, loosely related songs yes.

#6 Malleus

Malleus

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,982 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

The whole trilogy is a sort of "concept", in the loosest terms. It totally not American Idiot or 21stCB concept style, but there is a little bit of a theme between the 3 albums:

Tre: The reflection that, hey, I probably shouldn't have gone to that fucking party.

Individually, no, the albums don't really have a concept. All together, they do have a little bit of a similar concept going on. Again, using "concept" in the loosest terms (no characters or anything like that).

/thread
  • localinsomniac and Pieces of Truth like this

#7 X_Kid

X_Kid

Little One

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Joined Apr 16, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

exactly

#8 TheGrouch33

TheGrouch33

Brat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Up until now ive enjoyed the new songs, but god! when will Green Day do an album that is not a concept or a kind of concept like the trilogy like the band says, because its a bit silly to hear them constantly say that the first album is like going to the party the second is bla bla bla. Sometimes it seems that now they are forced to describe their albums as conceptual and all sorts of stuff just because of the last to records. I hope the day will come when Green Day make another album that speaks on its own without having to state anything about its "dialogue". I know, I sound bitter. Oh and answering the question of the thread, Ill answer with another question was Insomniac conceptual?

Edited by TheGrouch33, 09 November 2012 - 02:50 PM.

• drrrnn likes this

#9 Gregorovich

Gregorovich

Supermodel Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Dos doesn't fit the definition of a concept album, and neither does the trilogy as a whole. AI and 21CB were concept albums - they followed defined characters through a discernible storyline and raised important recurring themes. In a different way, Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns is a concept album - it deals with the problem of nuclear warfare from 1945 (Oppenheimer's speech at the opening of the album) to the present day. The trilogy doesn't come close to either of these.

#10 ThibautDookie

ThibautDookie

Die hard fan of rare interviews and rare pics of Green Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,702 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2012

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Before opening new threads, you can talk about this on there :

http://www.greendayc...910-ados-album/

#11 boringdays

boringdays

Little One

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2009

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

UNO or DOS are as much concept albums as any of their albums prior (cept'n AI or 21). Billie's always said they're in the business of making albums. By that he means not just a collection of songs, but more or less a general theme. I might not be wording it quite right but for instance I read that Do Da Da was dropped off Insomniac because it was too upbeat compared to the darker harder insomniac. What I'm getting at is "at the party" isn't really more of a concept (in the traditional terms) then "dark and hard."

edit: Also I think by now they're basically pigeon holed as the "concept album" band. I don't even think this question would be asked if another band released these albums or the hadn't done the two concept albums before.

Edited by boringdays, 09 November 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#12 Clockwise

Clockwise

Running on fruit snacks!

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

I think you could definitely look at it that way. DOS is a concept oriented album more so than UNO, and probably TRE. We can so clearly follow this journey through this hell party, and there actually are characters along the way.
  • gerardsangel4977 likes this

#13 Cob

Cob

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

POPULAR

The Trilogy is a concept. A lot of you guys are misinterpreting the definition of a concept album. A concept album isn't always going to be a rock opera.

concept album- noun an album whose recordings are unified by some theme(instrumental or lyrical or narrative or compositional)

Technically, since the songs were purposely placed together based on theme, genre, "party" etc. the trilogy as a whole is a concept. However, it is not a rock opera like American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Every rock opera is a concept album, but not every concept album is a rock opera, if you get my meaning.
  • localinsomniac, Broccoli Bob, gerardsangel4977 and 4 others like this

#14 farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher

Best Thing In Town

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Nope and I think a lot of people are making too much of a story and finding too much of a theme in these albums. I know the band have said it's about getting ready for the party, being at the party and the aftermath, but that is pretty much just so they can make it flow nicely and box the songs into their appropriate albums. Specially since songs like Drama Queen are being related to the 'story' and that song was written for 21CB.
  • TheGrouch33 and Gregorovich like this

#15 Todd

Todd

Sweet and Sour Children

• Members
  • 13,069 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

No. It's just an album. That's it
  • TheGrouch33 likes this

Advertising

#16 gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977

Pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

The Trilogy is a concept. A lot of you guys are misinterpreting the definition of a concept album. A concept album isn't always going to be a rock opera. concept album- noun an album whose recordings are unified by some theme(instrumental or lyrical or narrative or compositional) Technically, since the songs were purposely placed together based on theme, genre, "party" etc. the trilogy as a whole is a concept. However, it is not a rock opera like American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Every rock opera is a concept album, but not every concept album is a rock opera, if you get my meaning.

THIS. Was literally about to say just that....The terms "concept album" and "rock opera" get used interchangeably so often that I think people often confuse the two and start to forget that there is, actually, a difference. Like a square vs a rectangle. A concept album is any album that was made with a unifying conceit in mind, whereas a rock opera tells a story. Queen's "Night at the Opera", for example, is universally recognized as a concept album despite not really having an overarching narrative. Or, to use a more recent recording, My Chemical Romance's "Danger Days" is a concept album without being a rock opera. There is no narrative to those songs, but they were constructed with a specific idea in mind (a radio broadcast from a futuristic, post-Apocalyptic society).

By the same token, one could easily make an argument that Money Money 2020 and Stop, Drop, and Roll are concept albums because they involved the creation of alternate personae and a concerted effort to replicate a certain sound that would be appropriate for those groups, even though the individual tracks don't really contain story-telling elements. As far as the trilogy is concerned, I would say that Uno, by itself, could not really be considered a concept album, since it's main premise was to go back-to-basics with the classic Green Day sound. Dos, though, is more akin to Stop, Drop, and Roll (literally) in that it is intentionally reaching for that vintage garage sound and sleazy party feel. Tre has yet to be seen. But the trilogy, as a whole, is certainly conceptual because of the deliberateness with which it was constructed.....and the additional liner notes from Special Edition books almost seem to give it a loose narrative feel on top of that, where someone could even try to argue that there is more than a loose party concept.
  • Ingrid, No Rhyme Or Reason, KarlyLovesGD and 1 other like this

#17 Todd

Todd

Sweet and Sour Children

• Members
  • 13,069 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

THIS. Was literally about to say just that....The terms "concept album" and "rock opera" get used interchangeably so often that I think people often confuse the two and start to forget that there is, actually, a difference. Like a square vs a rectangle. A concept album is any album that was made with a unifying conceit in mind, whereas a rock opera tells a story. Queen's "Night at the Opera", for example, is universally recognized as a concept album despite not really having an overarching narrative. Or, to use a more recent recording, My Chemical Romance's "Danger Days" is a concept album without being a rock opera. There is no narrative to those songs, but they were constructed with a specific idea in my mind (a radio broadcast from a futuristic, post-Apocalyptic society).

By the same token, one could easily make an argument that Money Money 2020 and Stop, Drop, and Roll are concept albums because they involved the creation of alternate personae and a concerted effort to replicate a certain sound that would be appropriate for those groups, even though the individual tracks don't really contain story-telling elements. As far as the trilogy is concerned, I would say that Uno, by itself, could not really be considered a concept album, since it's main premise was to go back-to-basics with the classic Green Day sound. Dos, though, is more akin to Stop, Drop, and Roll (literally) in that it is intentionally reaching for that vintage garage sound and sleazy party feel. Tre has yet to be seen. But the trilogy, as a whole, is certainly conceptual because of the deliberateness with which it was constructed.....and the additional liner notes from Special Edition books almost seem to give it a loose narrative feel on top of that, where someone could even try to argue that there is more than a loose party concept.

Okay, yeah. I change my mind. Dos is a concept album, but Uno and Tre aren't

#18 Cob

Cob

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I would say Uno is concept because those songs were put together on purpose because they all encompassed a simpler, power pop genre. And it's meant to have that theme of getting yourself prepared for something, whether it be living your life or a "party".

#19 gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977

Pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I would say Uno is concept because those songs were put together on purpose because they all encompassed a simpler, power pop genre. And it's meant to have that theme of getting yourself prepared for something, whether it be living your life or a "party".

Yes....when I said Uno, by itself, wouldn't really be a concept album, I meant more if it had been released as a singular entity. As part of the trilogy, it definitely fits within conceptual definitions. But if Green Day had just said "Here is our new album" and gave us Uno without anything else, it would not be much of a concept; just Green Day being Green Day. I hope that makes more sense :)

#20 JaHawk2009

JaHawk2009

Chump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2010

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I would say DOS is not a concept album, but if you wanted to then you could put a story to it. As I did on a 3-hour bus ride on Thursday.

See You Tonight: Guy gets ready for party
Fuck Time: Outlining his desires for the night
SWTRLF - Wild One: Hitting on first girl of the night and learning she's wild, obviously
Makeout Party - Baby Eyes: Hooking up with the second girl, Ashley until he notices the third girl and kills his time with Ashley
Lady Cobra - Wow! That's Loud: Hooking up with the third girl, Lady Cobra, who seems to be using the guy rather than the other way round, as was the case with the first 2 girls. Until he realises she's using him and calls it off, reverting to his dreams of the girl he really wants
Amy: The girl of his dreams, but he can never have her. Touched upon the idea of this girl in See You Tonight & Stray Heart, and ending the story on a sombre note

#21 spark in the night

spark in the night

◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• Members
  • 29,918 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

no they're all really shallow, with the exception of a small amount of songs.

all I get from the songs are sex, sex, drinking, smoking, and sex.

#22 Malleus

Malleus

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,982 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Is it not possible to have a concept album/story about sex, sex, drinking, smoking and sex?
  • gerardsangel4977 and KarlyLovesGD like this

#23 spark in the night

spark in the night

◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• Members
  • 29,918 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

well sure, so is every GD album a concept of some sort?

#24 farley drexel hatcher

farley drexel hatcher

Best Thing In Town

• Members
  • 8,104 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2005

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

there are some songs of actual substance, but for some reason they've decided to focus on the partying and drinking side of things which is kind of sad.
  • spark in the night likes this

#25 josh_oliday

josh_oliday

Little One

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2009

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

I've actually been wondering about this myself. Yea we know the line about pre-party, party, and reflection. However I see a narrative forming as well. Without hearing Tre i can't finish the story in my head, but right now I've "read" 25 Chapters in a 37 chapter book and I can't wait for the end.

#26 gerardsangel4977

gerardsangel4977

Pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2007

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

well sure, so is every GD album a concept of some sort?

No, not really. Someone mentioned earlier that we probably wouldn't consider the trilogy to be a concept album if the band hadn't said anything about it, and this is largely true. But the reason it's true is that a large part of what determines a concept album is artistic intent. If an artist writes a bunch of songs and then picks out a handful of the best ones for an LP, even though they are generally still putting thought into which songs go together and flow into each other the best, it's not necessarily a concept album. If, however, an artist sits down and says "I am going to write a bunch of songs about ______ or that have this theme or this style (especially if that style isn't their usual sound)" and does so, then you enter concept territory. The concept can be simple or it can be elaborate, but it has to be there in order for the label to apply. Green Day has dabbled in this kind of thinking with individual songs throughout their entire career, but they didn't start to expand it to full albums until the late 90s. And it took them a few more years after that to actually be comfortable enough to release one.

#27 Cob

Cob

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

The only songs without substance are Fuck Time, Makeout Party, and Stray Heart. Those are the most straightforward. The rest of the songs are bathed in metaphor.
  • TheGrouch33 likes this

#28 TheGrouch33

TheGrouch33

Brat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2012

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

its as "conceptual" as Insomniac, so no I dont think there is a concept to it just a similar sound throught the album

No, not really. Someone mentioned earlier that we probably wouldn't consider the trilogy to be a concept album if the band hadn't said anything about it, and this is largely true. But the reason it's true is that a large part of what determines a concept album is artistic intent. If an artist writes a bunch of songs and then picks out a handful of the best ones for an LP, even though they are generally still putting thought into which songs go together and flow into each other the best, it's not necessarily a concept album. If, however, an artist sits down and says "I am going to write a bunch of songs about ______ or that have this theme or this style (especially if that style isn't their usual sound)" and does so, then you enter concept territory. The concept can be simple or it can be elaborate, but it has to be there in order for the label to apply. Green Day has dabbled in this kind of thinking with individual songs throughout their entire career, but they didn't start to expand it to full albums until the late 90s. And it took them a few more years after that to actually be comfortable enough to release one.

Sorry I disagree, the band did not make this songs with a scheme in their head they just put together the songs that had a similar vibe and sound.
  • spark in the night and Gregorovich like this

#29 spark in the night

spark in the night

◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• Members
  • 29,918 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

The only songs without substance are Fuck Time, Makeout Party, and Stray Heart. Those are the most straightforward. The rest of the songs are bathed in metaphor.

Lady Cobra and Nightlife?

#30 Elena

Elena

-Custom Title-

• Members
  • 3,985 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Okay, yeah. I change my mind. Dos is a concept album, but Uno and Tre aren't

agree with you, though in my opinion the trilogy as a whole is also a concept
...wow so Dos is a concept album in a concept trilogy :mellow: :D

its as "conceptual" as Insomniac, so no I dont think there is a concept to it just a similar sound throught the album

Sorry I disagree, the band did not make this songs with a scheme in their head they just put together the songs that had a similar vibe and sound.

true, though in my opinion it's also some kind of concept...Billie said on Uno you're getting in the mood of partying, on Dos you're at the party and on Tre you're cleaning up the mass, so it follows some kind of concept and on Dos some songs also stick together (Lady Cobra and Nightlife) and you could see it as some kind of story, though Uno and Tre (at least probably) alone are no concept albums...in my opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com