Would You Consider ¡Dos! a Concept Album?

Kuwanger

¡Dos! has been referred by the band as the "party" album of The Trilogy Albums.

...yet is it also a CONCEPT album?

Your thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole trilogy is a sort of "concept", in the loosest terms. It totally not American Idiot or 21stCB concept style, but there is a little bit of a theme between the 3 albums:

Uno: Getting ready for the party

Dos: The out of control party that ends with a hint of regret.

Tre: The reflection that, hey, I probably shouldn't have gone to that fucking party.

Individually, no, the albums don't really have a concept. All together, they do have a little bit of a similar concept going on. Again, using "concept" in the loosest terms (no characters or anything like that).

The songs are all somehow related, but it I wouldnt consider it a concept album.

The whole trilogy is a sort of "concept", in the loosest terms. It totally not American Idiot or 21stCB concept style, but there is a little bit of a theme between the 3 albums:

Tre: The reflection that, hey, I probably shouldn't have gone to that fucking party.

Individually, no, the albums don't really have a concept. All together, they do have a little bit of a similar concept going on. Again, using "concept" in the loosest terms (no characters or anything like that).

/thread

exactly

Up until now ive enjoyed the new songs, but god! when will Green Day do an album that is not a concept or a kind of concept like the trilogy like the band says, because its a bit silly to hear them constantly say that the first album is like going to the party the second is bla bla bla. Sometimes it seems that now they are forced to describe their albums as conceptual and all sorts of stuff just because of the last to records. I hope the day will come when Green Day make another album that speaks on its own without having to state anything about its "dialogue". I know, I sound bitter. Oh and answering the question of the thread, Ill answer with another question was Insomniac conceptual?

Dos doesn't fit the definition of a concept album, and neither does the trilogy as a whole. AI and 21CB were concept albums - they followed defined characters through a discernible storyline and raised important recurring themes. In a different way, Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns is a concept album - it deals with the problem of nuclear warfare from 1945 (Oppenheimer's speech at the opening of the album) to the present day. The trilogy doesn't come close to either of these.

UNO or DOS are as much concept albums as any of their albums prior (cept'n AI or 21). Billie's always said they're in the business of making albums. By that he means not just a collection of songs, but more or less a general theme. I might not be wording it quite right but for instance I read that Do Da Da was dropped off Insomniac because it was too upbeat compared to the darker harder insomniac. What I'm getting at is "at the party" isn't really more of a concept (in the traditional terms) then "dark and hard."

edit: Also I think by now they're basically pigeon holed as the "concept album" band. I don't even think this question would be asked if another band released these albums or the hadn't done the two concept albums before.

I think you could definitely look at it that way. DOS is a concept oriented album more so than UNO, and probably TRE. We can so clearly follow this journey through this hell party, and there actually are characters along the way.

The Trilogy is a concept. A lot of you guys are misinterpreting the definition of a concept album. A concept album isn't always going to be a rock opera.

concept album- noun an album whose recordings are unified by some theme(instrumental or lyrical or narrative or compositional)

Technically, since the songs were purposely placed together based on theme, genre, "party" etc. the trilogy as a whole is a concept. However, it is not a rock opera like American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Every rock opera is a concept album, but not every concept album is a rock opera, if you get my meaning.

Nope and I think a lot of people are making too much of a story and finding too much of a theme in these albums. I know the band have said it's about getting ready for the party, being at the party and the aftermath, but that is pretty much just so they can make it flow nicely and box the songs into their appropriate albums. Specially since songs like Drama Queen are being related to the 'story' and that song was written for 21CB.

The Trilogy is a concept. A lot of you guys are misinterpreting the definition of a concept album. A concept album isn't always going to be a rock opera. concept album- noun an album whose recordings are unified by some theme(instrumental or lyrical or narrative or compositional) Technically, since the songs were purposely placed together based on theme, genre, "party" etc. the trilogy as a whole is a concept. However, it is not a rock opera like American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Every rock opera is a concept album, but not every concept album is a rock opera, if you get my meaning.

THIS. Was literally about to say just that....The terms "concept album" and "rock opera" get used interchangeably so often that I think people often confuse the two and start to forget that there is, actually, a difference. Like a square vs a rectangle. A concept album is any album that was made with a unifying conceit in mind, whereas a rock opera tells a story. Queen's "Night at the Opera", for example, is universally recognized as a concept album despite not really having an overarching narrative. Or, to use a more recent recording, My Chemical Romance's "Danger Days" is a concept album without being a rock opera. There is no narrative to those songs, but they were constructed with a specific idea in mind (a radio broadcast from a futuristic, post-Apocalyptic society).

By the same token, one could easily make an argument that Money Money 2020 and Stop, Drop, and Roll are concept albums because they involved the creation of alternate personae and a concerted effort to replicate a certain sound that would be appropriate for those groups, even though the individual tracks don't really contain story-telling elements. As far as the trilogy is concerned, I would say that Uno, by itself, could not really be considered a concept album, since it's main premise was to go back-to-basics with the classic Green Day sound. Dos, though, is more akin to Stop, Drop, and Roll (literally) in that it is intentionally reaching for that vintage garage sound and sleazy party feel. Tre has yet to be seen. But the trilogy, as a whole, is certainly conceptual because of the deliberateness with which it was constructed.....and the additional liner notes from Special Edition books almost seem to give it a loose narrative feel on top of that, where someone could even try to argue that there is more than a loose party concept.

THIS. Was literally about to say just that....The terms "concept album" and "rock opera" get used interchangeably so often that I think people often confuse the two and start to forget that there is, actually, a difference. Like a square vs a rectangle. A concept album is any album that was made with a unifying conceit in mind, whereas a rock opera tells a story. Queen's "Night at the Opera", for example, is universally recognized as a concept album despite not really having an overarching narrative. Or, to use a more recent recording, My Chemical Romance's "Danger Days" is a concept album without being a rock opera. There is no narrative to those songs, but they were constructed with a specific idea in my mind (a radio broadcast from a futuristic, post-Apocalyptic society).

By the same token, one could easily make an argument that Money Money 2020 and Stop, Drop, and Roll are concept albums because they involved the creation of alternate personae and a concerted effort to replicate a certain sound that would be appropriate for those groups, even though the individual tracks don't really contain story-telling elements. As far as the trilogy is concerned, I would say that Uno, by itself, could not really be considered a concept album, since it's main premise was to go back-to-basics with the classic Green Day sound. Dos, though, is more akin to Stop, Drop, and Roll (literally) in that it is intentionally reaching for that vintage garage sound and sleazy party feel. Tre has yet to be seen. But the trilogy, as a whole, is certainly conceptual because of the deliberateness with which it was constructed.....and the additional liner notes from Special Edition books almost seem to give it a loose narrative feel on top of that, where someone could even try to argue that there is more than a loose party concept.

Okay, yeah. I change my mind. Dos is a concept album, but Uno and Tre aren't

I would say Uno is concept because those songs were put together on purpose because they all encompassed a simpler, power pop genre. And it's meant to have that theme of getting yourself prepared for something, whether it be living your life or a "party".

I would say Uno is concept because those songs were put together on purpose because they all encompassed a simpler, power pop genre. And it's meant to have that theme of getting yourself prepared for something, whether it be living your life or a "party".

Yes....when I said Uno, by itself, wouldn't really be a concept album, I meant more if it had been released as a singular entity. As part of the trilogy, it definitely fits within conceptual definitions. But if Green Day had just said "Here is our new album" and gave us Uno without anything else, it would not be much of a concept; just Green Day being Green Day. I hope that makes more sense :)

I would say DOS is not a concept album, but if you wanted to then you could put a story to it. As I did on a 3-hour bus ride on Thursday.

See You Tonight: Guy gets ready for party

Fuck Time: Outlining his desires for the night

SWTRLF - Wild One: Hitting on first girl of the night and learning she's wild, obviously

Makeout Party - Baby Eyes: Hooking up with the second girl, Ashley until he notices the third girl and kills his time with Ashley

Lady Cobra - Wow! That's Loud: Hooking up with the third girl, Lady Cobra, who seems to be using the guy rather than the other way round, as was the case with the first 2 girls. Until he realises she's using him and calls it off, reverting to his dreams of the girl he really wants

Amy: The girl of his dreams, but he can never have her. Touched upon the idea of this girl in See You Tonight & Stray Heart, and ending the story on a sombre note

no they're all really shallow, with the exception of a small amount of songs.

all I get from the songs are sex, sex, drinking, smoking, and sex.

Is it not possible to have a concept album/story about sex, sex, drinking, smoking and sex?

there are some songs of actual substance, but for some reason they've decided to focus on the partying and drinking side of things which is kind of sad.

I've actually been wondering about this myself. Yea we know the line about pre-party, party, and reflection. However I see a narrative forming as well. Without hearing Tre i can't finish the story in my head, but right now I've "read" 25 Chapters in a 37 chapter book and I can't wait for the end.

Archived