What is the song "Wild One" about?

GZUSofSuburbia

FYI information, Adrienne is not religious at all. Billie said it in an interview in 1995 :) but her parents are. ( Source: Billie's interviews : )

And this song seems so 80ish to me!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I thought when I first heard the live recording was that it could be about Amanda. The first part of the lyrics is similar to "She", a song we know is about her.

Wild One: She, she's my wild one

She: She, she screams in silence

I kinda interpret the lyrics as him liking a girl (My heart is in panic, my heart is a chaser..) that used to be religious (She gave up on Jesus, for livin' on Venus) and is now a party animal (Wild One). He sees her at a party and he's scared that someone else other than him might take her away (My heart is in danger, from shadows and strangers now), then the chorus (I'm drinking the kool-aid/I jumped on the grenade/All my mind's gonna blow, hello) is sorta like being scared and building up the confidence to go talk to her, and the ''hello'' in the end is when he finally does it.

Don't know, just my idea for it. It sorta makes sense with the whole party thing on Dos! and I don't really like the cult idea. :P

Yeah you could say it is about Adrienne because she is very religious. See Church on Sunday.

she isn't religious, just her parents are. that's why "she gave up on jesus"

but maybe it isn't even about her, i dont know xD

One thing I thought when I first heard the live recording was that it could be about Amanda. The first part of the lyrics is similar to "She", a song we know is about her.

in my opinion. Ashley is for Amanda ( maybe he used a Nickname just becouse he had already a song named Amanda)

Okay thanks for clearing that up. She once probably was religious though so I think it is possible. I mean it does say, "She gave up of Jesus, for living on Venus."

Okay thanks for clearing that up. She once probably was religious though so I think it is possible. I mean it does say, "She gave up of Jesus, for living on Venus."

yeah :)

in my opinion. Ashley is for Amanda ( maybe he used a Nickname just becouse he had already a song named Amanda)

The reason I don't think the character is Amanda is because Amanda I don't think was ever religious. He could be making it up to Addie calling her she and not putting so much emphasis on past girlfriends in the new albums.

I don't think is this about Adrienne or anyone in particular. I also don't think Ashley is about Amanda :lol: Billie mentioned in an interview that he was writing about "imaginary ex-girlfriends." Ashley could be one of those. As for Wild One, I think it's just the concept, and the individual doesn't matter and is irrelevant. "Gave up on Jesus" doesn't have to be literal either, it's just a way of demonstrating her transition to the wild side, not necessarily because this person was actually religious before.

Doubtful. Seriously, Amanda and Adrienne aren't the only two women in existence that Billie has ever known :P

Where are people even getting the cult stuff from?

And yeah you can't assume every single song is about Adrienne unless stated other wise. It could be about anyone, or no one. He's not exactly going to come out and say when he just pulls a song out of his arse and it has no meaning, is he? (which i'm sure he's done plenty of times)

This song is an interesting one! Seriously though people...not every song Billie writes is about Adrienne or Amanda...give him some freaking credit! So much of this record (Dos) and the last (Uno) hints at temptation and unfaithfulness (Stray Heart, Oh Love, Nightlife, Troublemaker and even Fell For You suggests panic and denial about your sudden realised emotions). There are tonnes more songs none of which are straightforward and none of which sound like they could possibly be written to Adrienne unless she has split personality disorder (in the case of Stray Heart!). Seriously though why would Billie be writing a "lusting after you" type song to somebody he has been married to for nearly 20 years?! Logic fail. So whats my point? Billie is an epic song writer...to suggest every song on this album is "about partying" because it is referred to as being at the party is sillyand a little patronising to his talent. Look at Lazy Bones, Amy, Baby Eyes etc. Wild One has dark lyrics...it doesnt sound like he has seen someone at a party and she is wild and partying etc. To me he sounds deeply concerned "my heart is in panic" but he has still fallen for this person. I think when he says "Hello" we are to assume this relationship is fresh...like he is going to throw caution to the wind despite the girl s problems. As for people mentioning cult references...i see those too and some are quite obvious so i doubt its accidental. Billie has often referenced religion...maybe in this song he is writing about falling for someone who is into a cult and he is even willing to "drink the Kool Aid" to be with her..

This is what I wrote about the song in my Dos commentary/interpretation. I just took it as being about the same "forbidden" girl as Fell for You, Angel Blue, etc. I don't think it really has anything to do with a cult.

In Wild One, the relationship the narrator sought is flowering now. Despite the lust and desire that overshadow most of this album, he's obviously falling more in love with this girl the more he gets to know her; even though he's not supposed to and it's putting his heart in danger. I don't think She gave up on Jesus / For living on Venus is literal, but more of a metaphor for the girl abandoning her "normal" life for love and lust. They both know it's wrong but they don't care. I jumped on the grenade... but ...Now that my mind's gonna blow, hello anyway.

That's just my personal interpretation though, it doesn't have to be what Billie had in mind. There'll be loads of people in his life that we don't know about and it could be about any of them, or not even directly related to him.

Where are people even getting the cult stuff from?

Basically, taking some expressions very literally ;)

I personally think the 'Wild One' could be Billie's drug dependancy (Sorry if you think this is controversial) and it's saying that the drugs made Billie question religion and when he has a hit it's like jumping on a grenade. Also he says his minds 'gonna blow' which would be the effects of the drug.

Also his 'heart is in danger' could be literal as well as the covered in 'angels and demons; could be the highs and the addiction

Probably wrong but it's just a thought

I personally think the 'Wild One' could be Billie's drug dependancy (Sorry if you think this is controversial) and it's saying that the drugs made Billie question religion and when he has a hit it's like jumping on a grenade. Also he says his minds 'gonna blow' which would be the effects of the drug.

Also his 'heart is in danger' could be literal as well as the covered in 'angels and demons; could be the highs and the addiction

Probably wrong but it's just a thought

I think the only part of this can be called wrong is the "drugs made Billie question religion" part. That is definitely not true as he's said before he's never really bought into it.

I think the only part of this can be called wrong is the "drugs made Billie question religion" part. That is definitely not true as he's said before he's never really bought into it.

Fair enough, but I still think the rest is plausible :shy:

• 2 years later...

Have you seen his new surf board...

Archived