What is the song "Wild One" about?

GZUSofSuburbia

Well, I was just listening to the song because I really like it. I was listening to the lyrics, and they're really weird. Does anyone have an idea of what the songs about?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of women characters in this album. Billie had a bunch of girlfriends that he likes to write about, but most of the time he dedicates his love songs to Adrienne. I think this one is for her as well, but I am not quite sure. Sorry :))

Billie Joe once had a pet lion cub called Leopold. But then it got too large for him to keep, and he decided to release it into the wilds of Africa. "Wild One" is Billie Joe's tribute to Leopold.

Billie Joe once had a pet lion cub called Leopold. But then it got too large for him to keep, and he decided to release it into the wilds of Africa. "Wild One" is Billie Joe's tribute to Leopold.

Seriously?! How do you know that? Haha that's crazy.

Seriously?! How do you know that? Haha that's crazy.

What, you don't know the story of Billie's pet lion? What rock are you living under?

I've seen many people say it's about joining a cult, and that actually makes a lot of sense.

I think its rather too straight-forward and you are reading it too deeply. His heart is in danger and she's strung out on razors

Ok. On the serious side, it's very likely about a someone giving up on religion and joining a cult, going by the lyrics.

"She gave up on Jesus, for living on Venus

All dressed up with nowhere to go

I'm drinking the kool-aid, I jumped on a grenade"

Sounds very much like what happens in most cults.

it think is just about meeting a girl that likes to party and following her (literally and figuratively)

not a cult... those lines more seem like expressions.

Well, She gave up on religion cause she sees no proof of Jesus anywhere. So then she joins a cult, and they commit group-suicide. Simple as that

Ok. On the serious side, it's very likely about a someone giving up on religion and joining a cult, going by the lyrics.

"She gave up on Jesus, for living on Venus

All dressed up with nowhere to go

I'm drinking the kool-aid, I jumped on a grenade"

Sounds very much like what happens in most cults.

I can think of two different interpretations for this: The cult thing certainly works, but I can't help but feel maybe it's meant more as a pervading metaphor rather than the literal translation. The reason being that "all dressed up with nowhere to go" is a phrase generally applied to Atheists (as they don't believe in any higher beings or any sort of afterlife, so when they die, they still get dressed up all nice for their funeral, but they're just gone. Their spirit doesn't "move on" or go anywhere.) Billie then says "I'm drinking the kool-aid", not her, but him.....which leads me to the alternate interpretation that, perhaps, we have a formerly religious girl who abandoned her pure, Christian upbringing in favor of indulging love/lust (Venus being the Goddess of such) and embracing that bad girl side. Billie is drawn in by her and buying into her worldview, as a result. One of the "converted" to her own flock of admirers.

I really don't think it's about joining a cult :lol: Although the Kool-Aid thing is a direct reference to the Jonestown cult, I think that was just to emphasize the actual point of the song, which is more about desire for this "wild one." She's someone who "gave up on Jesus for living on Venus," aka said "fuck convention, fuck being conservative, I'm gonna be a wild, dirty animal." All the other lyrics just refer to the fact that going for this "wild one" is destructive (grenades, presumably poison Kool-Aid), but it doesn't matter because "my mind's gonna blow" anyway, so he might as well say "Hello!" to that dangerous, wild one.

it think is just about meeting a girl that likes to party and following her (literally and figuratively)

not a cult... those lines more seem like expressions.

This. Billie kept saying how this is the "party" record so I feel that interpretation works well. Love makes you do crazy things and sometimes you want to do anything to be with someone, hence drinking the figurative Kool-Aid to be a part of her world. It's impossible to say either way though-I could be 1,000% wrong. Lyrics are always tricky since people interpret them so differently.

Could be about someone or something that is perhaps wild in the way they act or what they are. Something to do about living on Venus? And a Jesus? I don't know, could be anything wild and the one thing that is indeed wild.

What, you don't know the story of Billie's pet lion? What rock are you living under?

SO CRAZY IT MIGHT JUST NOT BE TRUE

picard-face-palm.gif

I spent 15 minutes researching an imaginary pet lion... I'm so fucking gullible...

haha it wasnt that I was reading too deeply, i mean the lyrics in itself are just odd. I dont think it's about a cult, that would just seem kind of different for this album. This is like the party album, i figured it had to be about some girl.

haha your comentary is very funny :D

haha your comentary is very funny :D

Why thank you, as well as leaving witty comments in threads, I also do children's birthday parties.

Good question! I would agree with the others and say it's about his fun times with Adrienne

Yeah you could say it is about Adrienne because she is very religious. See Church on Sunday.

Yeah, her mom is a pastor or something. So she very well could be the person Billie is describing.

Yeah I think you could also say that the song is possibly anti-religious too comparing religion to a cult. I don't know may be that would reading in too much. And he doesn't actually say she drinks the kool-aid...

Archived