Isnt leaking of an album bad for the bands sales and stuff?

GreenDay98

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tons of people love supporting bands they like and both download the leak and buy the album. I definitely will pick up Dos and Tre when they drop. Bands probably make most of their money from concerts and stuff anyway.

If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD not buying the CD equals bad sales and chart performances

I downloaded the album as soon as I could. I'll also be buying it as soon as it comes out over here. I just want to hear it as soon as possible. Even if it came out without leaking, illegal downloads would be up within a few hours. Anyone who wasn't going to pay for it still wouldn't. That's the modern market. At least a leak allows them to publicize the album via streaming and other stuff.

Anyway, you can discuss this over in the main Dos thread. A mod will close this soon.

I download albums and buy the ones i like

I got the ultimate box set plus I'll be buying 2 copies of the regular plus 2 copies of the vinyl

I listened to the leak and already pre-ordered the CD. So its a win-win thing, right?

I usually buy albums that I like. And I believe most people on here do to.

Also I don't think Green Day really care if people torrent the albums right now. With what's been going on with Billie I'm sure their just happy that people like the album. I think Billie even said that he didn't care how people got the albums, as long as they like them. Or something like that.

I listened to the leak and already pre-ordered the CD. So its a win-win thing, right?

Same heree

I think most people who would seek out a leak a week before the album actually comes out are fans who will end up buying it to support them. This describes me. I downloaded the Uno leak but still got the cd on the release and ended up buying the vinyl. I don't think it hurts too much.

I havent downloaded it, but only beacuse I would rather wait till I have the album in my hands to listen to it. If I were to download it though, I would still buy the album. The only reason I would download it first would be bacause I simply cannot conatin myself any longer :P . Also, I did buy two copies of UNO.

I honestly don't think Green Day cares that much. I mean they obviously want people to get their music, but I bet they'd rather have you experience the energy and awesome show they put on

I think that leaks can even boost sales, because people can know what they are buying. I wouldn't buy an album just for a song and the rest is just garbage. Is a good way to promote things like this.

I don't know why people worry about the sales of the albums. For me, it just stupid.

I paid for Uno, Dos and Tre in July. My money went directly to Warner Records and not through a 3rd party seller. The way I see it, it's my right to download these albums they are available.

If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD
This looks and smells like a big ugly troll but I am bored.

You see your first sentence is wrong, it is the music industry viewpoint and they will never understand. The most manic downloaders of leaks that I know of are the keenest fans and music collectors who intend to buy on release day or already have it on pre-order. I will stop there as I do not want to turn this into a diatribe about music industry executives aka 'feed the troll'.

One of the advantages of leaks though is that we can all get the album at the same time, as release dates differ from country to country.

It's the smaller bands that get hit harder from not buying music, I feel really bad for them. But, and this is probably controversial, I don't feel bad for Green Day, they'll make millions regardless through various other channels, even if they lose out a small bit from downloading.

The leak itself doesn't really change it I think, because those that don't want to buy the record will download it illegally, doesn't matter if it leaks a week before or with on the release date. Those who were going to buy it, will do so anyway.

yea, i've had that same thought on my mind! leaking = a bit of loss, don't you think?

What I ended up doing ever since 21st Century Breakdown was downloading leaked/streamed versions of the albums and would only listen to the album front to back once I buy an actual copy.

It sounds rather stupid, but that's me.

i would say no. leaking gives the opportunity for kids and not so fortunate people be able to hear their favorite bands music, and also discover new music which would gateway to new fans.

I don't think that's true. There are a ton of different reasons why people go with leaks. One is to get a feel for the album to see if you really wanna pay x amount of dollars for it. Think about it; cds and music are a luxary and sometimes it's just a case of not being able to purchase the album right away (which is why I go with leaks sometimes) but that doesn't mean someone won't get the album later. It just means they can't get it now. And if people pass around the leak because it's so awesome then maybe more people will actually buy the album, especially if it's an artist they want to support. That's how I feel about leaks. I just won't download them if I know I'm buying the album, but if I know I have to wait a long time before I get it, then it's leaks away!

I personally don't think so.

I got the leak just so I could listen to the songs now..I am way to impatient. But as soon as it comes out, I am going to buy the CD of course! I want to support them!:) and I feel like most Green Day fans who have gotten the leak will most likely buy the cd or has already bought it from the trilogy set xD

And I think Green Day is pretty set financially.

And plus, more people getting the leaks means that more people are listening to the album! And nothing wrong with that;)

I downloaded both UNO and DOS but ill definitely buy the CD when it comes out . I also have the ultimate box set ordered so ill have bought it twice.

For the more casual fan, they might not buy it but if it did not leak they may have just waited till the album was officially released and downloaded it illegally then. So no i don't think it will affect the sales too much :)

If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD not buying the CD equals bad sales and chart performances

Well I preordered the Ultimate Boxset so I've already paid for it, and I'll prob buy the normal CD so no, me downloading it doesn't equal those things. I just really wanted to hear the album.

Archived