Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

Isnt leaking of an album bad for the bands sales and stuff?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

GreenDay98

GreenDay98
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2012
  • 6 rep
If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD not buying the CD equals bad sales and chart performances

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,516 rep
Tons of people love supporting bands they like and both download the leak and buy the album. I definitely will pick up Dos and Tre when they drop. Bands probably make most of their money from concerts and stuff anyway.
  • norwegianidiot likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,425 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,712 rep

If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD not buying the CD equals bad sales and chart performances

I downloaded the album as soon as I could. I'll also be buying it as soon as it comes out over here. I just want to hear it as soon as possible. Even if it came out without leaking, illegal downloads would be up within a few hours. Anyone who wasn't going to pay for it still wouldn't. That's the modern market. At least a leak allows them to publicize the album via streaming and other stuff.

Anyway, you can discuss this over in the main Dos thread. A mod will close this soon.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,505 rep
I download albums and buy the ones i like

I got the ultimate box set plus I'll be buying 2 copies of the regular plus 2 copies of the vinyl
  • Sam.., iRun, Cob and 1 other like this

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• 12,091 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,433 rep
I listened to the leak and already pre-ordered the CD. So its a win-win thing, right?
  • iRun likes this

Ryder556

Ryder556
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined Sep 16, 2012
  • 62 rep
I usually buy albums that I like. And I believe most people on here do to.

Also I don't think Green Day really care if people torrent the albums right now. With what's been going on with Billie I'm sure their just happy that people like the album. I think Billie even said that he didn't care how people got the albums, as long as they like them. Or something like that.

Edited by Ryder556, 06 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

• Todd likes this

iRun

iRun
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2012
  • 608 rep

I listened to the leak and already pre-ordered the CD. So its a win-win thing, right?

Same heree

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 956 rep
I think most people who would seek out a leak a week before the album actually comes out are fans who will end up buying it to support them. This describes me. I downloaded the Uno leak but still got the cd on the release and ended up buying the vinyl. I don't think it hurts too much.

Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 87 rep
I havent downloaded it, but only beacuse I would rather wait till I have the album in my hands to listen to it. If I were to download it though, I would still buy the album. The only reason I would download it first would be bacause I simply cannot conatin myself any longer :P . Also, I did buy two copies of UNO.

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,918 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,022 rep
I'm still getting the CD so I don't care

themissingxkid

themissingxkid
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2009
  • 177 rep
I listen to a leak and I buy the CD, it's not bad, unless they're a small band, but I doubt small bands get their stuff leaked.

costellok

costellok
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2011
  • 14 rep
I honestly don't think Green Day cares that much. I mean they obviously want people to get their music, but I bet they'd rather have you experience the energy and awesome show they put on

greendepent

greendepent
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Joined Jul 18, 2008
  • 231 rep
I think that leaks can even boost sales, because people can know what they are buying. I wouldn't buy an album just for a song and the rest is just garbage. Is a good way to promote things like this.

I don't know why people worry about the sales of the albums. For me, it just stupid.

SetOnOverdrive

SetOnOverdrive
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2007
  • 34 rep
I paid for Uno, Dos and Tre in July. My money went directly to Warner Records and not through a 3rd party seller. The way I see it, it's my right to download these albums they are available.

WrongWayToSalvation

WrongWayToSalvation
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Joined Aug 06, 2012
  • 530 rep
Totally, and stuff.

Advertising

tvrman

tvrman
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2009
  • 327 rep

If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD

This looks and smells like a big ugly troll but I am bored.

You see your first sentence is wrong, it is the music industry viewpoint and they will never understand. The most manic downloaders of leaks that I know of are the keenest fans and music collectors who intend to buy on release day or already have it on pre-order. I will stop there as I do not want to turn this into a diatribe about music industry executives aka 'feed the troll'.

One of the advantages of leaks though is that we can all get the album at the same time, as release dates differ from country to country.

Isabel

Isabel
  • 'You wouldn't even let me sing my own damn song!'

• 12,309 posts
  • Joined Sep 01, 2005
  • 824 rep
It's the smaller bands that get hit harder from not buying music, I feel really bad for them. But, and this is probably controversial, I don't feel bad for Green Day, they'll make millions regardless through various other channels, even if they lose out a small bit from downloading.

Ana.

Ana.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Joined Jan 18, 2012
  • 404 rep
The leak itself doesn't really change it I think, because those that don't want to buy the record will download it illegally, doesn't matter if it leaks a week before or with on the release date. Those who were going to buy it, will do so anyway.

in_your_face

in_your_face
  • jesse pinkman, biatch!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2010
  • 158 rep
yea, i've had that same thought on my mind! leaking = a bit of loss, don't you think?

The Breakdown

The Breakdown
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2009
  • 51 rep
What I ended up doing ever since 21st Century Breakdown was downloading leaked/streamed versions of the albums and would only listen to the album front to back once I buy an actual copy.
It sounds rather stupid, but that's me.

BornToLose

BornToLose
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2012
  • 106 rep
i would say no. leaking gives the opportunity for kids and not so fortunate people be able to hear their favorite bands music, and also discover new music which would gateway to new fans.

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,309 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,463 rep
I don't think that's true. There are a ton of different reasons why people go with leaks. One is to get a feel for the album to see if you really wanna pay x amount of dollars for it. Think about it; cds and music are a luxary and sometimes it's just a case of not being able to purchase the album right away (which is why I go with leaks sometimes) but that doesn't mean someone won't get the album later. It just means they can't get it now. And if people pass around the leak because it's so awesome then maybe more people will actually buy the album, especially if it's an artist they want to support. That's how I feel about leaks. I just won't download them if I know I'm buying the album, but if I know I have to wait a long time before I get it, then it's leaks away!

Marrymebilliejoe

Marrymebilliejoe
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 320 rep
I personally don't think so.
I got the leak just so I could listen to the songs now..I am way to impatient. But as soon as it comes out, I am going to buy the CD of course! I want to support them!:) and I feel like most Green Day fans who have gotten the leak will most likely buy the cd or has already bought it from the trilogy set xD
And I think Green Day is pretty set financially.
And plus, more people getting the leaks means that more people are listening to the album! And nothing wrong with that;)

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,975 rep
I downloaded both UNO and DOS but ill definitely buy the CD when it comes out . I also have the ultimate box set ordered so ill have bought it twice.
For the more casual fan, they might not buy it but if it did not leak they may have just waited till the album was officially released and downloaded it illegally then. So no i don't think it will affect the sales too much :)

gmcloughlin

gmcloughlin
  • Stand Up & Fight

• 3,257 posts
  • Joined Oct 29, 2008
  • 248 rep

Well I preordered the Ultimate Boxset so I've already paid for it, and I'll prob buy the normal CD so no, me downloading it doesn't equal those things. I just really wanted to hear the album.

localinsomniac

localinsomniac
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 425 rep
Not everyone who downloads a leak is doing so in lieu of buying the album proper. But generally, yeah- pirated music tends to translate into poor(er) sales.

I got the digital box set for the trilogy, but I'm still planning on buying all three in store. Plus the free download of Uno that came with my ticket purchase. That's essentially 7 copies of three albums.
  • Gwakington likes this

iScottie

iScottie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,565 posts
  • Joined Sep 10, 2012
  • 4,920 rep
Had the box set pre-ordered since the summer and I listened to the leak.

Nothing wrong with that.

To each his own.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,757 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,672 rep
People who were going to buy it are going to buy it regardless of when a free download is available before or after the album's released. Likewise for those who weren't going to pay for it anyway. It's going to be free to download anyway, leak or not.

If anything, if big news is made about the leak, it might make people take a listen, get interested and they might buy it after that. Those who get interested and don't buy it after that weren't going to buy it in any case so no lost profits there either.

Iminyourcoffeemaker

Iminyourcoffeemaker
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 128 rep
Got pre-sale for all three albums. Downloaded the leak the moment it came out.

No harm done.

ltrbmb17

ltrbmb17
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2010
  • 241 rep
I paid for the Box Set, concerts and merch so i feel no shame with listening/downloading/watching leaked stuff :toocool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users