Do you like both old and new Green Day?

GreenDay98

I personally fucking love both. Every GD album has its own unique sound to it (wich is why I love Green Day). So hbu? I also think that if you dont like both then youre not a true fan. By new GD I mean AI and up

I personally fucking love both. Every GD album has its own unique sound to it (wich is why I love Green Day). So hbu? I also think that if you dont like both then youre not a true fan.

True fans come in all shapes and forms. If you had asked me 5 years ago if I preferred new or old, I'd say I only liked new. If you had asked me 3 years ago I would have said I only liked old. Now, I like both. A true fan identifies with an aspect of the music, and truly loves the band for it. Slavish devotion to every song does not a true fan make. I still a true fan of Green Day, even if I think Restless Heart Syndrome sucks donkey dick.

I can't say i see it as a new and old Green Day. Green Day are Green Day, each album is different, and their are similarities with some etc, but i like everything pretty equally, it depends on what i want to listen to and what mood im in etc, but i can see why people class it into Old and New Green Day and i totally understand it.

I don't even seperate new and old Green Day. Every album is just Green Day, and they're all amazing.

Jesus Christ. There is no such thing as "old" or "new" Green Day. It's all the same Green Day, from 1987 to now. Green Day in general is fucking amazing, there's no doubt about it but I'm sick and tired of people dividing bands into their old stuff and new stuff.

I like both, I am a true fan.

Although, I think each album is greatly different from the next, so you would have to have Super old Green Day, Very Old Green Day, Old Green Day, After Breakout Green Day, Middle Green Day, Newer Green Day, New Green Day, Very New Green Day, Super New Green Day, and Squeaky New Green Day

the only reason i would want to go back to the old days if because i didnt get to experience it. i like where theyve been and where their going

I like all Green Day. It really bothers me though when people do separate "old" from "new". Like when i tell people my favorite band is Green Day, and they reply with..."well, I only like old green day music, like from dookie. Their newer stuff is garbage"...WTF is that even supposed to mean??

Personally I don't think you really truly like Green Day if you only like their "old" stuff or their "new" stuff. (I use the terms "old" and "new" because they are such ambiguous terms.) It's all Green Day. There music has changed for the better. Lyrical and musical. Obviously, it would be kind of weird if Billie, Mike, and Tre were hammering out songs just like they did in Dookie being 40 somethings...even though they don't look a day over 30 ;) There are songs from every album that I am just like meh about and there are some songs on every album I could listen to non-stop. And honestly Mike said in an interview that anyone can join the Green Day party! It isn't some competition to see who has listened to Green Day the longest..or who the "truer" fans are. Green Day fans must unite and not be split into "new" or "old" fans.

Just my two cents :P

I love both their past and current stuff. I got into them by listening to their current music, but it made me check out their back catalogue. I don't think one era is better than another or something that. Each one has it's share of great songs I say. I look at it as the more Green Day music I have, the better :)

how can you separate one single band into 'two' bands?! i only new Green day...not 'old' and 'new' GD

But yes ... AI is old ... so from 1,039 to Warning it's like super-old gd, from AI to 21STCB it's old gd, and trilogy is new gd? :D

Personally I don't think you really truly like Green Day if you only like their "old" stuff or their "new" stuff. (I use the terms "old" and "new" because they are such ambiguous terms.) It's all Green Day. There music has changed for the better. Lyrical and musical. Obviously, it would be kind of weird if Billie, Mike, and Tre were hammering out songs just like they did in Dookie being 40 somethings...even though they don't look a day over 30 ;) There are songs from every album that I am just like meh about and there are some songs on every album I could listen to non-stop. And honestly Mike said in an interview that anyone can join the Green Day party! It isn't some competition to see who has listened to Green Day the longest..or who the "truer" fans are. Green Day fans must unite and not be split into "new" or "old" fans.

Just my two cents :P

Ambiguous is the exact term for defining "old and new" stuff. It depends on point of view. I mean old could be anything that is not popular right now (from UNO down), old could be all the stuff released before you got to GD (for me it´s from AI down). I think true fan doesn´t distinguish from what´s new or what´s old. And I think a group that wants to avoid extinction, has to be popular (even mainstream) if that is the reason why to divide their stuff into old and new. And it´s really great that GD can still speak to younger and younger listeners, although they´re getting old. It´s just a little guarantee for all fans they´ll be around for some time and their music will still be alive and expected.

if you dont like both then youre not a true fan.

the fuck?!?!

there's no such thing as a "real" and "not real" fans when it comes to what songs/albums they like/dont like.

If you love only ONE album, you can still consider yourself as a fan. If you like all albums and every song they've ever made, you're a fan.

Some people may not like every song/album... they can't force themselves to like EVERYTHING just because it's Green Day.

We all have different opinions on songs and stuff

personally, I love every album Green Day have ever made :) also, there's no old and new Green Day, it's just Green Day ;)

there is no such thing as old or new green day.. it's just Green Day and they're the greatest band in the world.

I love all their albums but for different reasons and in different ways.

Not sure what the purpose of this thread is. Did you make it to read what people think about "old or new Green Day", or did you want to read about people saying they don't like "both", in your words, saying they're not a "true fan"? We've had many threads like this before, and every time it ends up in a pointless discussion. What is a true fan? Is there a new and old Green Day? Everything's been said already looking at the posts here, again. You basically said it yourself: personally. Everybody has their own opinion about which songs they like and don't like. That's great. Can't we just stop with threads like this and enjoy the music? :D I'll go ahead and close this thread.

Green Day is Green Day, by now you could even say we have "middle Green Day" with AI until now, with the trilogy being "new". :lol: It doesn't matter. It's still Green Day, and disliking one album doesn't make you a bad fan or whatever. That's what's great about GDC. We're here for the community and some people like everything about Green Day, while some prefer certain albums. Does this mean they're not fans? No. :)

Archived