¡DOS! Album

Liam

Anyone else notice how Billie's writing grew really darker in Dos? I can't help but notice in his lyrics and correlate them with him falling into some type of possible addiction i.e. going to rehab.

Mike said in an interview recently how the band noticied things were getting bad with Billie while writing the trilogy. Notice in the lyrics

Wild One:

"She, little wild (white?) one, my heart is a chaser (alcohol), she's strung out on razors (cocaine?) now"

Also, I feel like this Lady Cobra might have had an effect on him...

Lady Cobra:

"She just wants to get me high, stick a needle in my eye"

Now on to Nightlife, I find this song to be the most interesting song thus far. I feel like "taking a ride to my old haunt" is going down old roads of addiction. And her lyrics are full of lust and temptation. "I got the thing that you want, the fix that you need, chase this with a little lust and greed".

And as we all know, Amy Winehouse died an addicts' death. Plenty of artists die, but why her? Maybe she was someone Billie could relate to, Billie may be reaching out for help. "Do you want to be a friend of mine?"

Who knows, I could very well be reading into these lyrics too much, but Billie has always wrote down his "inner demons" on paper and made them into lyrics. But I find this installment in the trilogy extremely beautiful, creepy, haunting, and down right f**king awesome.

Thoughts and prayers to Billie Joe, cannot wait until this album comes out.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really don't understand the excessive hate for Nightlife.....just cos it's different doesn't mean it's a bad song?!?!?! the bass line is soooooooooooooo good!

For some reason, the opening chords of See You Tonight remind me of Boots of Spanish Leather by Bob Dylan...

Ehhh, I don't know how I feel. I don't hate it, and I think it'll be a grower; I hope it'll be a grower. Wow! That's Loud actually hurt my ears (and I don't necessarily hate noise; for fuck's sake, I'm seeing Sleigh Bells tomorrow!). I enjoyed Lady Cobra's parts in Nightlife and I think I would actually like the song as a whole were it not for the terrible effect on Billie's voice (again, it kind of hurt my ears). I love the Tubbies but that was basically a love at first listen situation and I'm not getting that here.

Right now, Stray Heart and See You Tonight are ones I can truly say I love. I like Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones and Wild One. Fuck Time was never a favorite, and tbh I just love the opening riff, everything after that I can take or leave.

I think it's just not my favorite parts of Green Day, if that makes sense. But the fact that this is a band that has so many different sounds that they can have an album for each of them is pretty fucking cool, so I'm grateful for that, even if I'm not loving this album right now.

I apologize that I sound like an old coot [/get off my lawn] :lol:

Billie loves all music. When Amy died he felt that it was a huge loss of potential to the music industry. So even though he didn't know her he felt like the whole music industry was affected.

Yeah, You're right. That's what I thought :) Her death was a loss for music industry.

I'm not sure what I think of the album yet. I hope it is a grower. I like the music and I love the way Billie sings the stuff, but somehow the lyrics don't really click with me. I liked Uno better after the first listen.

The lyrics to the first track are actually pretty creepy. Very Tre-like song in that it's built around quiet guitar chords, innocuous vocals and lyrics that, if you listen to them, have some kind of twisted sickness to them.

:ninja: Maybe I should give it another listen

well ill start off by saying i thought uno was good an a solid start to a trilogy, in my opinion 8/10.(best songs:rusty james,stay the night,sweet 16 and oh love) an as for dos ill start by saying i think its better than uno, love the raw gararge sound.

See You Tonight: reminds me of song of the century. its a song i think most of us can relate to,i mean when u go out or something an u really wanna see that one person u like, but anyway my only critisism of this song is that its too short, i think it sets up a full on album like this well

Fuck Time: silly stupid song, but still aa good listen, llove the guitar in this song, its just pure rock n roll (reminds me of the rolling stones)

Stop When The Red Lights Flash: love the drums an guitar at the beggining, bit repetitive but still a hard hitting catchy song (really like the live preformances ive seen)

Lazy Bones: instant gd classic for me, personally a song i can really realate too, great lyrics, amzing chourus, amzing everything to b honest, nearly a perfect song!

Wild One: one of billies best riffs in my opinion, love the vocals an backing vocals an once again the lyrics a really good (an i could b wrong but i think this song might b about a girl with bipolar or something, as my mum suffers from it an the lyrics really remind me of her. but thats just my opinion lol)

Makeout Party: not a bad first half of the song but the second half is really were this one gets its mojo, the solo, the bass enought said!

Stray Heart: loved it since i heard the live verson like ayear ago, another instant gd classic in my opinion, love the bass in the verses, really reminds me of 60s rock or something, best song on the album in my opinion

Ashley: i dont mind it, but probably my least favourite song on the album, nice lyrics catchy verse but the chourus is a bit plain in my opinion

Baby Eyes: instant love for this one, really dark song, reminds me a little of insomniac, an i think this song is about billies son (middle name danger)

Lady Cobra: this song has balls!!!!!! loud guitar, great vocals, rude lyrics, pounding drums. LOVE IT

Nightlife: so this seems to b the love hate song of the album, i didnt like it at first but now i love, awesome bass line an catchy as fuck an a real SEXY vibe in my opinion, (wouldnt mind lady cobra singing this to me ;) haha

Wow Thats Loud: really reminds me of foxboro hot tubs, amazing guitar an solo, most underatted song on the album from what ive seen

Amy: im picking this is the good riddance of the trilogy but in my opinion its better, should b a single, sounds alot like the beatles, love this track

So as for the album as a whole i give it a 9/10, now lets just hope tre will b 10/10!

With the exception of a few songs, i.e. Wow! That's Loud, Lady Cobra and Makeout Party, I don't think it's particularly spectacular. Uno is much better over all, IMO =/

I'm starting to think that See You Tonight is almost like waking up the day of the party hoping to see that girl you've been wanting to get with. The song is so creepy in a way that it's portrayed fucking amazingly. And then Fuck Time comes in and it's just like you're first stepping in the door to a badass party. Each song actually contributes to the party theme and I love it. Dos! is perfection!

and then "wow! thats loud" is when you finally get that girl, lose all innocence and get to have way with her (with her dress on.)

Wow! That's Loud would make a good single IMO.

But they would have to cut those stupid parts with noise to make it single :D

I caved and had to listen, its soooo good <3 favourite tracks are lazy bones, make out party and fuck time.

Can't wait for the next part if the boxset!

But they would have to cut those stupid parts with noise to make it single :D

exactly, just like they did with Oh Love, after the guitarsolo.

I was also thinking of that earlier today. Fuck Time or Lazy Bones maybe?

All right here goes my review. My latest opinion on Uno is a 4/10 so with that in mind, Dos is clearly a superior record. The highs are much higher than Uno's, however, the lows are arguably some of the lowest the band has ever been. For instance, while dedicated fans may love 'Fuck Time' it would be tough to classify it even as a mediocre number. Is it maybe fun to jump around to? Sure, but that doesn't save it from rehashing a very old chord scheme along with very cheesy lyrics. Fuck Time is and will remain a guilty pleasure song for the hardcore Green Day fans. Like a Michael Bay movie or Stephanie Meyer book it won't receive any critical praise but the fans will eat it up. In addition, Nightlife is another failed attempt at experimentalism. Lady Cobra may be a good rapper with a stellar voice, but you'd never know it listening to Nightlife. The lyrics and tone become cringe worthy very early and it only makes the track drag on longer. The worst part about that is, if we deduct Lady Cobra, add new lyrics, and maybe have Mike rap/sing them in a 'Modern World' type style, the music is definitely there to carry the song. I'm not sure if this is what I've chalked up to lyrical laziness on Billie Joe's part or if it's just the direction the band actually wanted to go in regardless of the final product.

Of course it's not all negative. Lazy Bones and Wild One are two back to back highlights of the trilogy so far. They show the band in a different light, branching out to slightly different styles than they're used to, and succeeding. The lyrics are also much better crafted in these two numbers, particularly in Wild One. Baby Eyes, Ashley, and Lady Cobra still feel like the sort of filler that one might argue is found after When I Come Around on Dookie. They aren't bad songs, but they don't really advance the album much at all. Stray Heart remains, in my opinion, an excellent choice for a first single because of its pop sensibility but garage style sound that the band is trying to promote. Wow! That's Loud! is another successful venture in my opinion. I wouldn't have minded to hear a few brass and woodwind instruments added to the breaks, but it's a solid track nonetheless. 'See You Tonight' and 'Amy' bookend the album in unspectacular fashion. Both are rather flat and don't intrigue or encourage multiple listens.

So, all in all, I'd rate Dos! 6/10 and bring the total trilogy score up to 5/10 overall. I have to say, thus far, the trilogy has been a disappointment. There haven't been enough standout tracks on Uno! and Dos! to warrant three albums unless of course Tre! is just filled to the brim with excellent material. Looking through Uno! and Dos!'s track lists though, I could easily make a stronger single album.

1. Nuclear Family

2. Kill the DJ

3. Troublemaker

4. Oh Love

5. Stop When the Red Lights Flash

6. Lazy Bones

7. Wild One

8. Stray Heart

9. Wow That's Loud

10. (Debatable but I'd say either Rusty James or Makeout Party) I don't really have a preference either way on those two, but I'd rather not include them both.

Anyway, this wouldn't necessarily be the order of the album, I just went down the track lists, but as you can see with a 5/5 or 4/6 Uno! Dos! split, we get a much stronger single album. Songs like Let Yourself Go or Loss of Control or even Fuck Time would make excellent B-Sides. The fan base would still get to hear them and enjoy them, but the albums' respectability wouldn't have to take a hit in the process. Maybe the band just got a little too attached to their own work because there really was no need for these to be two separate albums. If we look at Uno! and Dos! as a double album for the moment, it becomes apparent that it wouldn't work. On a double album at least half the songs plus one should be album worthy, otherwise, the whole point of the double album is neutralized. That's what has happened with Uno! and Dos! We got 25 tracks with big ups and big downs rather than a steady onslaught of excellent numbers.

I'm afraid Fuck Time is gonna be on my Top 25 most played & if mom notices that.... Mom don't check it plz, plz, plz! :S

( I imagine myself singing " Oh baby baby it's fuck time " & suddenly my mom enters my room... :lol: )

here is my review, track by track, but viewed in album context. i gave uno a 4/10.

1. See you tonight - i wouldn't listen to it without hearing the full album. but it just builds up atomosphere very well and followed by fuck time it's becomes clear what they wanted to do here. 5/10

2. Fuck Time - some people are saying: i know it's supposed to be stupid but i don't like the lyrics. i'm saying: you don't understand that it is beautiful trash and very ironic. "i'm a beggar, but i don't want a dime". the music is just perfect. 9/10

3. Stop when the red lights flash - i never liked this one. to slow and repetetive. in the album context it is hearable though. and the intro of the song is very good. 5/10

4. Lazy Bones - completly different style compared to the previous songs. it is the hymn of the album. catchy on the first listen and it doesn't get boring. if anyone one is refering to new green day: this is the sound they didn't do in the 90s and that could represent the good side of the "new green day sound". and this is the kind of song that brings in some diversity to the album which makes it so good. it just doesn't get boring with songs like this one loosing up the structure of the classic rock'n'roll vibe which is present in many songs of the album. 10/10

5. Wild one - this is a live song (at least for a good crowd). just imagine everybody singing along to it... this is how slow songs can be good. good lyrics too, touching a serious theme. and then there is the guitar from 2:52.... perfect. 9/10

6. Makeout Party - "like a dirty old man with babysitter", again the humourus side of the album. it's refreshing that green day doesn't take themselves to serious after AI and 21stCB. the song is ok, but nothing special. but as soon as i'm ready to say "filler" the guitar solo and bass solo show up, which make the song a lot better. and again: it fits the album perfectly. following the two different songs lazy bones and wild one it brings the fast power and fun back 7/10

7. Stray Heart - that one was my favourite from the live recordings. it's definetly a live song, too. the studio version is not that good and i probably heard it to much, but i still can tell that it is a high quality song. the bass line is classic and it gives you this good old times atmosphere, yet being fresh. the other side of classic rock'n'roll compared to the more garagy fuck time. 9/10

8. Ashley - the punk song of the album. it does have something of the missfits, but still a classic green day punk tune, but with a completly unusual melody for green day. maybe would have fit on insomniac after panic song, too. but on dos it fits perfect too, showing another variation of green day. good lyrics, too. 9/10

9. Baby Eyes - the intro reminds me of christians inferno (which is one of my favoruite tracks of 21stCBD). melody reminds me a lot of the ramones, but with some unexpected changes in the melody. good follow up of ashley and you wouldn't notice this song on other green day albums as unusual. 8/10

10. Lady Cobra - again bringing back the vintage sound. you start to notice they placed those tracks very well. nice and fast, good live song for some pogo. 8/10

11. Nightlife - i knew this track was to come. but the casual green day listener will be suprised, thats for sure. positive or negative, thats up to everyones music taste. i love the bass, the solo and billies distorted voice. usually not a fan of studio effect on his voice, but this is the kind of music it does sound good to. i would have loved have loved a dub version of this following the normal track (for the young kids: dub doesn't have to do anythign with dubstep shit). you know something like the clash did alot, e.g with "one more time" followed by "one more dub". so do "Dublife" as a b-side please, without the rap...

the rap is not good. but it fits the song. i also sence a double meaning here: girl trying to seduce this guy=drugs. 8/10

12 Wow! That's loud - nice guitar riff. melody of billies singing is average, nothing special. but then there is still this reappearing intro riff and a damn fine guitar solo. 7/10

13. Amy - it is essential here, like for every emotinal slow song: you have to be in the mood. i wouldn't hear this too much, or it could get annoying. but some decent lyrics which are not cheezy or anything. and i prefere a sound like this for ballads to songs like the forgotten. the forgotten comes across very calculated and too cheesy for me (music whise).

the melody and chords change in the middle part of amyis very nice. 8/10

conclusion: the average rating would be 7.1/10. but you can't rate an album with the average score of songs. the tracks are placed with so much thought and the album is so full of variety but still comes across as a unit. even thoug some green day albums have better single songs, iDOS! convince me as an album not as a collection of songs. and therefore it will be maybe the only green day album i wil hear full without wanting to skipp any tracks.

green day keeping albums alive in a time where everyone is going for the big hit. they have my respect for this and also for the way they handle singles these days.

so my rating for iDos! is - 8.5/10

maybe it will get a 9 over the long term...

all albums (at the moment!):

1) 1039/Smoothed out slappy hours - 9/10

2) Insomniac - 9/10

3) Dos - 8.5/10

3) Dookie - 8/10

4) American Idiot - 7,5/10

5) Kerplunk -7,5/10

6) Nimrod - 7,5/10

7) Warning - 6,5/10

8) 21st century breakdown - 5/10

9) UNO - 4/10

Fuck time is holding this album back from being something great. I know Ive already said this many times, but the song doesnt work as Green Day would have liked, its certainly not the band´s best, and if you ask me its actually one of their worst songs up until now in their carreer. I understand why some people think its fun, but to me the real generic and dumb rock song of the trilogy is Fuck time, its absolute nonesense. Im sure im not the only one that shares the same feeling towards this piece of shit song that Green Day have decided to put out.

Fuck time is holding this album back from being something great. I know Ive already said this many times, but the song doesnt work as Green Day would have liked, its certainly not the band´s best, and if you ask me its actually one of their worst songs up until now in their carreer. I understand why some people think its fun, but to me the real generic and dumb rock song of the trilogy is Fuck time, its absolute nonesense. Im sure im not the only one that shares the same feeling towards this piece of shit song that Green Day have decided to put out.

Don't bash Green Day. On a Green Day forum. I love that song. 'Nuff said.

Don't bash Green Day. On a Green Day forum. I love that song. 'Nuff said.

I love Green Day but Im not not going to lie if i dont like one of their songs.

I love Green Day but Im not not going to lie if i dont like one of their songs.

Ok. I like that song a lot though.

Archived