¡DOS! Album

Liam

I'm not personally affected by his opinion one way or the other. He does make a good point about the impatience of people who can't wait the extra week, filling up pages and pages with complaints about there being no leak and grievances over false reports of a leak. It can be tiresome, but we're free to skip those posts if we choose. ('MERICA!)

In your shoes, I would be irked by the fact that the piece seems to bring the whole team into it, when he was only speaking his own mind.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why call it a newsletter then? I haven't received it this time, but from what I've read in here it seems awfully judgmental of people like me who downloaded the leaked version. If he wants to get his point across like that we have blogs or forums for it. He shouldn't have access to such a large reader base who like me probably just signed up to stay informed of happenings in the Green Day world.

I really don't understand how anyone can defend Nightlife.

Very simply: I love the song. I personally don't understand how anyone can defend half the shitty songs I hate on Nimrod, but I'm not going to make that statement because I believe everything is personal taste and y'all have a right to think Haushinka is a decent song when I personally want to stab my ears out with needles.

If this was a Lady Cobra song featuring Billie Joe, this forum would absolutely trash this song. Because it is trash.

Interesting, and probably true. At the very least we wouldn't give it as much of a listen. Putting it out as Green Day gives the song more meaning, it makes you think that Billie's verses are more important, but if it was released by Lady Cobra it would lose meaning entirely to us.

I have no idea how you could think that this is better than the heartfelt songs on 1039, that actually have passion in them. I do agree that 1039 has some of their worst material (Rest is real bad), but this takes the cake by a mile.

I think this is musically superior to a lot of the tunes on 1039, but I definitely admire those earlier ones more for their genuine adolescent yearning. And I love Rest. :) Still, I don't think you can say Nightlife is empty and meaningless. He said he had the line "Taking a ride to my old haunts." It's about very deep temptations and demons, and Lady Cobra just voices those in her own crass, often comedic way. Say what you want about her rapping (meh) and lines like "my favorite color's candle apple girl," but the rest of Billie's parts I would argue are LOADED with self-reflection.

In your shoes, I would be irked by the fact that the piece seems to bring the whole team into it, when he was only speaking his own mind.

I view the newsletter as I do the news on GDA. An editor is free to write what they want and sometimes people won't agree with it and they might think it's representative of the entire site. That's bound to happen. But I think as long as we continue to provide an overall good service to the fans as a whole, these things just come and go.

Why call it a newsletter then? I haven't received it this time, but from what I've read in here it seems awfully judgmental of people like me who downloaded the leaked version. If he wants to get his point across like that we have blogs or forums for it. He shouldn't have access to such a large reader base who like me probably just signed up to stay informed of happenings in the Green Day world.

I think if I told all of our editors to avoid any opinions, our stuff would just be very stale. Everything we do individually adds our own touch of personality to it. On the news posts we often praise the stuff that we like individually. I think people aren't concerned with opinions, but just opinions they don't already agree with.

I think if I told all of our editors to avoid any opinions, our stuff would just be very stale. Everything we do individually adds our own touch of personality to it. On the news posts we often praise the stuff that we like individually. I think people aren't concerned with opinions, but just opinions they don't already agree with.

Granted I haven't read them all start to finish but I don't remember the newsletters ever being that opinionated. Sure there's always been a personal slant to it, and that makes for better reading, but I don't think it should be used by one guy as his mouthpiece. It's speculation at this point but I'd like to think I'd say the same regardless of whether I agree or disagree with that argument.

Dos is the mp3 album of the week and is currently sat at number 1 on the amazon.co.uk mp3 album chart :D

The GDA newsletter's take on the DOS leak annoyed me. It made it seem like those people who chose to download it early were pissing on some kind of ancient, religious ritual. Seriously? It's a bit of music which we're all going to buy on the release date anyway. We're members of a Green Day website because we're such huge fans, so it's not as though it's our goal to exploit the band.

According to the article I am the average, 20 year-old fan who has many years to listen to the music. It doesn't really matter what time I choose to listen - I'm actively supporting the band and have done for years. Having spent months anticipating this release after UNO, yes, I jumped at the chance to get to listen to the new material before the time I was expecting. I really don't see what difference that makes in the grand scheme of things. It's not as though me, and the rest of the downloaders were forcing others to listen or stomping our feet and bitching about the date until there was a leak. It happened, so we downloaded it then talked about it amongst ourselves. Big deal.

I mean, if the article focussed on how because of the leak, lots of people will be able to access the music for free (exploiting the band) then that's a fair point. Personally, I am going to buy the CD (and various trilogy-related things which come with it, such as concert tickets, merch, etc), because I want to add to my Green Day collection, but lots of other people won't, and that's sad. However, it didn't focus on that at all. I realise that the newsletter isn't supposed to be a serious piece of journalism which is why I'm not bashing it for having opinions - I'm just disagreeing with one which was presented a little more harshly that us downloaders deserved.

The only people bitching about the leak are the people who chose not to download it. You don't see one ones who DID listen a week early bashing others about not doing so. Just come off it, please. Getting sick of it.

Yes, yes, yes! I think fans who choose to download it earlier are sort of borrowing it for a little while, until they can buy a copy :happy:

I'm one of those who waits for the release date (while I can, because I'm usually too tempted to download it :lol: ) But what's the big deal about listening to it before it comes out?

I view the newsletter as I do the news on GDA. An editor is free to write what they want and sometimes people won't agree with it and they might think it's representative of the entire site.

He said "We at the GDA Newsletter headquarters" and "those of you not joining us in the leak boycott" though. An editor giving their opinion is fine, but he should've just presented it as his opinion instead of speaking for the entire site. That's the only problem I see with it.

Sorry for the rambling post, but it feels so good to be back - it's been ages since anything Green Day related has made me happy. I'm happy today :wub:

this entire post and especially that last line was ME. like you don't understand, uno had me questioning whether i was the same person any more, and had i really changed so much in three years that i couldn't enjoy green day any more?! but yeah, dos made me sane. and very happy :D

And again, I keep hearing 'worst song ever' for Nightlife. Have you people not heard like half of 1039/SOSH?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

going to pasalcqua, at the library, 16, dry ice, the judges daughter, only of you...

they are one of GD bests songs EVER! (in my opinion)

Makeout Party makes me think of Prima Donna (in a good way), especially when he says "kiss me there" haha. Awesome rock and roll song.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

It's not that crazy to think songs that were written and recorded when the band were teenagers are their worst songs, surely? I think they all have their charm but it's not that outlandish to think songs like 1000 Hours or Rest are among Green Day's worst compared to the quality of their later work.

He said "We at the GDA Newsletter headquarters" and "those of you not joining us in the leak boycott" though. An editor giving their opinion is fine, but he should've just presented it as his opinion instead of speaking for the entire site. That's the only problem I see with it.

Heh, I actually really liked that. He was right. The entire team at the GDA Newsletter HQ is boycotting the leak.

Oof, didn't know that would fire people up.

Frankly, I'm not fussed enough to defend each of the words I used in the newsletter. The only thing I can see as wrong was using an absurd myriad entity such as the 'GDA Newsletter headquarters' as a front for my personal opinion.

Lol now I realize "GDA Newsletter Headquarters" was just referring to you that's quite funny :lol:. I was thinking that meant the GDA team, I guess others probably did too. Well then aside from that being a little misleading I have no problem with the opinion being expressed, although I disagree with the opinion.

Makeout Party makes me think of Prima Donna (in a good way), especially when he says "kiss me there" haha. Awesome rock and roll song.

It's not that crazy to think songs that were written and recorded when the band were teenagers are their worst songs, surely? I think they all have their charm but it's not that outlandish to think songs like 1000 Hours or Rest are among Green Day's worst compared to the quality of their later work.

just because they were teenagers they couldnt do a good album? thats bullshit. if you have a talent for songwriting the melodies will be great no matter what experience you have. thats why many bands first album is their best or one of their bests. they never done it before and just fire out everything they have in mind. music is not about perfection. perfection can kill music actually...

lyrically 1039/... is on a a lower level, thats true. its pretty one dimensional. but the combination of really catchy melodys, awesome guitar riffs, old rock'n'roll style solos, unic harmonys played fast and punk like is unreached in my opinion.

i like insomniac more, but it wasn't that creative. lyrically its one their bests though (no pride!) and mikes bass play has never been better than on insomniac.

just because they were teenagers they couldnt do a good album? thats bullshit. if you have a talent for songwriting the melodies will be great no matter what experience you have. thats why many bands first album is their best or one of their bests. they never done it before and just fire out everything they have in mind. music is not about perfection. perfection can kill music actually...

lyrically 1039/... is on a a lower level, thats true. its pretty one dimensional. but the combination of really catchy melodys, awesome guitar riffs, old rock'n'roll style solos, unic harmonys played fast and punk like is unreached in my opinion.

i like insomniac more, but it wasn't that creative. lyrically its one their bests though (no pride!) and mikes bass play has never been better than on insomniac.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's not crazy for some people to have the opinion that some of the songs on it are worse than Nightlife or their worst songs.

Oof, didn't know that would fire people up.

Frankly, I'm not fussed enough to defend each of the words I used in the newsletter. The only thing I can see as wrong was using an absurd myriad entity such as the 'GDA Newsletter headquarters' as a front for my personal opinion.

I just think a newsletter should be exactly that. No problem sticking in a joke or two, but you shouldn't guilt trip people because they don't share your view. If you want to express an opinion that is obviously going to be a little topical, you should do so in a personal capacity.

cannot wait to buy it.....seems like it was only yesterday i was excited to hear they announce the first single to uno , man how time flies!

i'm really enjoying this album! i think it's fun and chill at the same time. i would also love to hear some of these song in a rockabilly version (with a stand up bass) i think it could sound pretty cool!

I cannot get enough of this album. Every song is, in my opinion, awesome. Only taken about 20 playthroughs to reach this conclusion and my CD hasn't even arrived yet.

Heh, I actually really liked that. He was right. The entire team at the GDA Newsletter HQ is boycotting the leak.

Didn't you guys listen to the Uno leak?

I think I can see Fuck Time being like the first full band encore song. Anyone else?

Archived