¡DOS! Album

Liam

So i haven't seen a TRE topic so i'll ask here, does anyone else think we'll get a TRE preview via Angry Birds on Wednesday?? they did the same with DOS so idk just a thought??

It's pretty likely.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the sales predictions for DOS?

120k US (top 5), 300k worlwide first week.

So i haven't seen a TRE topic so i'll ask here, does anyone else think we'll get a TRE preview via Angry Birds on Wednesday?? they did the same with DOS so idk just a thought??

I certainly hope so!

a very helpful person posted the lyrics for this album ITT, but it's buried now. can anyone bring it back up or even repost them because that would be vurr helpful

got this in the mail yesterday! Listening to it today! I really like this album. Songs are great.

Ok, after a month of listening to ¡Uno! and a week of listening to ¡Dos! I'm ready to review them completely (of Uno too because I forgot it in the Uno thread)

¡Uno!

Nuclear Family - I simply love this track. I knew it have would been a favourite since I listened to an instrumental in late 2011. A great opener for ¡Uno! and for all the trilogy. Mike plays also some nice basslines on there. Also, I love the 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 5-4-3-2-1! thing. 9.6/10

Stay The Night - The instrumental on this one is good, and the acceleration on the intro is a perfect example, but I don't really get the voice melody. So monotone and flat. On a positive note I love the solo and the bridge (especially the Hey-ho!), and it fits perfectly after Nuclear Family. I also think this is better than live versions, but sorry guys, it's my last favourite track on ¡Uno! 8.5/10

Carpe Diem - A bit commercial track, but it's not bad at all. The lyrics are very appropriate, and it's very catchy. And the bridge is pretty. 8.9/10

Let Yourself Go - Love this one. Probably my favourite from ¡Uno!. Once again, Green Day lyrics are the best to insult people. It's the catchiest song on ¡Uno!, and I love the crazy "Gotta let it go!"and the "Shut the fuck up!" in the background. Definitely the standout track of this album. 9.8/10

Kill The DJ - Nice experiment in there! Holy shit, Green Day can make a dance song without making it sucks (especially the solo, it's BADASS). Putting after an awesome track, another awesome track is simply badass. And making both singles is perfect. 9.5/10

Fell For You - The love song that has to be in every record! A simple, soft, romantic Green Day song, with a nice guitar riff, a good drum rythm and perfect lyrics. 9/10

Loss Of Control - Another favourite! Like LYG, Green Day have written a "1-2-fuck-you" song, that generally are the ones that I love (besides another kind of good track, obvious, but I always love them) 9.6/10

Troublemaker - Green Day had a little drop in this one. Well, it's not THAT bad, but I don't really get that. On a positive note, it's catchy as hell and the solo is fucking perfect. 8.9/10

Angel Blue - After that little drop Green Day rallied immediately! Another soooooo catchy song, this is fucking perfect. 9.5/10

Sweet 16 - Another dreaming track, a fork stuck in the road (did you see what I did there? :P) No, seriously, this is a turning point. Represents the releasing of all the violence, that won't be back in ¡Uno! since this. But I love this song. The lyrics, the riff, the solo. All here is fucking perfect. 9.5/10

Rusty James - Green Day singing about therselves, 25 years into music and fan favourite, and I love it too, but it's not my favourite. Amazing track anyway. 9.2/10

Oh Love - Can I know what so much hate for Oh Love? Yes, it's not that good, BUT IT ISN'T EVEN THAT BAD. Yes, it's a bit boring and repetitive, BUT JUST A BIT. I don't love it, I just don't hate Oh Love. And it's a perfect album closer and a PERFECT song live. Stop hating it. 8.6/10

The Verdict - ¡Uno! is a beautiful, classic Green Day album. Except some songs, I really love this album, and I think it's the 3rd in my album classific (which you can see under this).

Dookie

Insomniac

¡Uno!

¡Dos!

American Idiot

¡Uno! = 110.6/120 = about 9.216/10 , but my rating is 9.3/10

Songs from the best one to the worst one.

Let Yourself Go

Nuclear Family

Loss Of Control

Sweet 16

Angel Blue

Kill The DJ

Rusty James

Fell For You

Carpe Diem

Troublemaker

Oh Love

Stay The Night

¡Dos!

See You Tonight - I like this one. It's the perfect way to start this album. 8.8/10

Fuck Time - :creep: :creep: :creep: A funny song, I love it. And riff in the solo is PERFECT. Perfect lyrics also. 9.2/10

Stop When The Red Lights Flash - It's proably my least favourite in the album (if you don't count See You Tonight and Amy), but it fits well after Fuck Time. I don't really hate SWTRLF, but I wish it could be better 8.9/10

Lazy Bones - Good track. Not my favourite, but it's really mature from Billie Joe writing a song like this (especially given recent circumstances) and I like it. Standout track (but not my favourite), and it's gonna be a fan favourite. 9.2/10

Wild One - Here's a song that's growing on me. I didn't like it very much at the first listen (it bored me), but now I like it. The "hello" makes me eargasm every time, and I love the solo. Billie's lyrics are a little pessimistic, but cool. 9.2/10

Makeout Party - WOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Here's my favourite from this album and probably from the trilogy. I simply love this track, especially the solo (that I think it's THE ALL-TIME BEST SOLO FROM GD, with One For The Razorbacks and American Idiot. That melody returning over and over is an amazing thing.) and the bridge, where Mike performs a BADASS bassline. 9.9/10

Stray Heart - Another song that grew on me. Mike is at his best with is track, and it fits more on Dos than on Trè. And I love this solo. 9/10

Ashley - This is pretty cool - I love the lyrics, and the voice melody, especially the chorus. Billie wrote an amazing track here. Probably my 3rd favourite after Makeout Party and Wow! That's Loud. 9.6/10

Baby Eyes - This track fits quite well after Ashley. I think this is the explosive duo that has to be in every good album (for ¡Uno! it was Let Yourself Go/Kill The DJ). 9.4/10

Lady Cobra - Very fast track, and an awesome one. Billie never stops here, it's another "1-2-fuck-you" song. 9.1/10

Nightlife - I'm ready to review the most controversial track in Green Day history. Well, personally I like it. Not love, but like. It's pretty amazing, the rap isn't bad, and the solo is sooooo amazing! 9/10

Wow! That's Loud - My second favourite from ¡Dos!. Sounds a lot like My Generation. I just love the riff, the solo, the weird bridge, the chorus, ALL. A trivia: I call the part after 3:14 the "Titanic Orchestra" part, because the riff continues playing with all the rest that's fucking up, like the Titanic Orchestra, that continued playing also when the Titanic was drowning. 9.7/10

Amy - A bit boring and repetitive, but a perfect closing track. 8.8/10

The Verdict - Dos is a pretty cool album, but ¡Uno! was a bit better imo. It has some awesome tracks and some less good tracks (but still awesome).

¡Dos! = 119.6/130 = 9.2/10, which I think it's the perfect rating for this album. (¡Uno! was 9.3/10)

Songs from the best one to the worst one:

Makeout Party

Wow! That's Loud

Ashley

Baby Eyes

Fuck Time

Lazy Bones

Wild One

Lady Cobra

Stray Heart

Nightlife

Stop When The Red Lights Flash

Amy

See You Tonight

I hope you enjoying reading as much as much I enjoyed writing. :)

a very helpful person posted the lyrics for this album ITT, but it's buried now. can anyone bring it back up or even repost them because that would be vurr helpful

Not sure if it's the same ones or not but there's a thread with all the lyrics here

on GDA in the 'Music' section there are all the lyrics from the songs.. i think are the official ones :happy:

This album is now available in the UK - I got the link sent to me for my download at literally one minute past midnight. Shocking!

got this in the mail yesterday! Listening to it today! I really like this album. Songs are great.

Simple. To the point. I like it.

Just got my official download link from the Ultimate Box Set, so couldn't resist firing up the laptop and getting a high-quality version rather than the leak. Have to say I'm really glad it's officially out now.

Does anyone find themselves appreciating 21st Century Breakdown a lot more since Uno and Dos have come out? Not that I particularly disliked it to begin with, and not that Uno and Dos make that album seem great, it's just that we've now gotten two enormous breaths of fresh air that sound nothing like that album, so we're now 2 albums distant from it where we can really start to appreciate it for what it was.

I understand the point you're making but no, if anything I appreciate 21stCB a little less, or certainly no more than before. Once the initial wow factor of new songs and a new album wore off I realized that it was a very average album IMO. They found something that worked on American Idiot (which I loved) and tried to do the same but bigger next time around, and it didn't really work.

Overall, I feel like I lost even more appreciation for the AI/21CB era through the first 2/3 of the Trilogy. It's refreshing to hear the band writing songs more akin to the Nimrod/Warning era; rocking out with the occasional experimentation, without feeling the need (or pressure?) to make everything grandiose and huge. Especially with 21CB, everything felt forced into being "bigger" and more "epic" than AI, and it really just amounted to piano intros/outros being tacked-on to sterile sounding pop-punk. It was an album that I was impressed with on first listen, but I really find tough to listen to today.

Another thing about Uno/Dos...it's nice to hear Mike playing bass again, after noticeably missing on the last two albums... :D

This!

There seems to be a lot of overlap between this and the review thread, so apologies if this is in the wrong place. Just wanted to get my thoughts down!

As with Uno, I held off from listening to the leak, so I'm a week behind everyone else. My first listen to Dos was a bit disappointing... quite a few of the songs merged together, and literally only Fuck Time, Lazy Bones and Stray Heart made any impression at all. But I've had it on constantly since then, and its flavour has really started to come out. This is definitely the second Foxboro album, but most of it has clearly had more time put into it than anything on Stop, Drop and Roll. There's nothing as insane as the saxophone on Pieces of Truth, but it's a pretty cohesive record overall.

Dos has about the same good:bad ratio as Uno did, and here - as then - there are only one or two songs I'd have cut, and about the same number I'd change anything about.

See You Tonight (5/10)

Good: Echoes of 'Song of the Century', providing (in the context of the album) a contrasting lead into Fuck Time.

Bad: Not quite the Simon & Garfunkel serenade I was hoping for, and completely breaks continuity between Oh Love and Fuck Time.

Fuck Time (7.5/10)

Good: I could listen to Billie doing the fret slide in the solo all fucking day :D

Bad: Probably a better live song than it is a studio one, but getting it recorded properly makes it more likely to become a live staple, which will be amazing. FUCCCKKK TIMMMEEEEEE *fret slide*

Stop When The Red Lights Flash (6.5/10)

Good: So much better than I feared from the earlier live version. Great riffing, loads of energy.

Bad: Slightly unimaginative chorus, but not as repetitive as some of those on Uno, so no big deal.

Lazy Bones (9/10)

Good: Amazing. Right now, this feels like one of the best Green Day songs ever. It has that frantic energy I associate with their best songs (Letterbomb), background claps, and great vocals; lots of nice intonation. Also, the pause, then breakdown! "I can't takkkeeee it annymmoooorreee" :D

Bad: None

Wild One (7/10)

Good: This feels a little like Rotting, but with an added injection of passion. Really like the minor, steady feel to it, which they achieve without it seeming overly plodding.

Bad: Maybe a little long; could have done with losing the last chorus.

Makeout Party (5/10)

Good: Mike gets to show off in a great bass solo, which almost has a dueling banjos feel to it

Bad: Totally forgettable. Reminds me too much of the worst Foxboro stuff.

Stray Heart (8.5/10)

Good: Lives up to the pressure generated by those great live performances all those months ago! Borrows the bass riff, of course, but what a bouncy love song to shake your ass to :bunny: . Years of speculation about Billie cheating on Adie follow.

Bad: That I'm not listening to it right now

Ashley (6.5/10)

Good: There's a theme in Dos of Billie doing some great things with his voice, and this is another example. Love the whole run ending with "You're looking like hell and you're no fucking saint"

Bad: Feels a bit like Makeout Party, in the sense it doesn't make much of a impression. The chorus is the problem here, because the verses are great.

Baby Eyes (7.5/10)

Good: Carries over the fun verses of Ashley, but pairs them with a better chorus. Good energy. "Because baby baby, I was born to killlllll"

Bad: The riff after the chorus is straight from Christian's Inferno, which carries some bad associations :lol:

Lady Cobra (6/10)

Good: Incessant, pounding rhythm.

Bad: Incessant, pounding rhythm.

Nightlife (?/10)

Good: The kind of experiment that triple albums exist for. If you're not going to do things like this, why bother? Spooky solo too, surely designed for nightime sexing.

Bad: If I wasn't a diehard fan, would I think this was horrible? Because it may well be. This is Dos' Troublemaker, but with less obviously good points.

Wow! That's Loud (6.5/10)

Good: This couldn't get anymore 60s if it tried. Everything about it. The breakdown with that guitar lick is delicious.

Bad: Feels too derivative, and - again - very reminiscent of the less inspired moments from the Hot Tubs.

Amy (7/10)

Good: So, so pleased they didn't fuck up the production of this. While I doubt this is actually taken from Billie's demo, they've certainly kept that feeling, and didn't run all over it with an orchestra as they could've. A great wistful end to the album.

Bad: Feels a little odd to hear him singing about a real 'celebrity', as opposed to characters or just anonymous people he knows. I wonder how this will age?

While the power-pop of Uno is slightly more to my taste, I enjoy the hell out of Dos. Once we have Tre and can pick out the best from all three, this is gonna be an absolutely killer selection, every bit as great as Dookie (and American Idiot, but that is a whole other entity because of the concept and associated feelings). Until then, however, it's simply another very enjoyable Green Day album, in the vein of Insomniac and Nimrod.

By this stage, the rest of the world who hasn't got iDos! must be getting excited, won't be dissappointed in it :P

Nightlife is a steaming pile of cowshit. It's not because I don't like rapping in songs. The electronic sound wasn't creative and the lyrics are even less so. The chorus had the potential to be catchy and part of an enjoyable song of there was a good bassline (there wasn't) and tolerable verses (there weren't). The song is fail.

Nightlife is a steaming pile of cowshit. It's not because I don't like rapping in songs. The electronic sound wasn't creative and the lyrics are even less so. The chorus had the potential to be catchy and part of an enjoyable song of there was a good bassline (there wasn't) and tolerable verses (there weren't). The song is fail.

It's honestly the most cringe-worthy thing the band has ever done.

I have no idea what they were thinking.. especially this late in their careers, it's embarrassing.

So much Nightlife hate up in here.

I like it, I don't even care that it's cheesy or "cringeworthy", I'm just taking it for what it is, an experimental forte into rap. I think the beat is catchy, and I can't get over how much Lady Cobra works the "devil on your shoulder" thing (which is funny considering I don't care for Mystic Knights of the Cobra). Lets face it: Green Day mixing with rap could've been 10000x worse than it was. Is it their best song? Absolutely not. Was it the worst thing they've ever done? Absolutely not. It's not like it's going to get picked up by the general masses anyways, unless they come out of left field and put it out as a single, which would be fucking hilarious.

So much Nightlife hate up in here.

I like it, I don't even care that it's cheesy or "cringeworthy", I'm just taking it for what it is, an experimental forte into rap. I think the beat is catchy, and I can't get over how much Lady Cobra works the "devil on your shoulder" thing (which is funny considering I don't care for Mystic Knights of the Cobra). Lets face it: Green Day mixing with rap could've been 10000x worse than it was. Is it their best song? Absolutely not. Was it the worst thing they've ever done? Absolutely not. It's not like it's going to get picked up by the general masses anyways, unless they come out of left field and put it out as a single, which would be fucking hilarious.

Why would you ever want Green Day to go into rap.. It just doesn't make any sense.

I have a huge love/hate thing with Nightlife. The music itself is really enjoyable and I feel like people would be singing a different tune if the parts with Lady Cobra were cut out and it was just an instrumental. That being said, the lyrics are incredibly cheesy and not in a good way. It has a dirty feel to it yes, but it also feels insanely out of place on the album. I understand why it is on the album but musically it makes you want to throw up after hearing all these stompers and then getting slapped across the face with this. Lady Cobra's parts are alright I guess, but I mean that's only because we get Billie kind of singing.

Mystic Knights of the Cobra or whatever they're called suck balls to the 10th degree, and Green Day makes Lady Cobra suck balls a little less. I'll listen to this song but only when I feel like it. Is it the worst thing Green Day has done? Yeah, in my opinion it is, but it's not that bad. It could be worse. Do I only like it because it's Green Day? Most likely.

I've determined that lazy bones is my life story soaked in a badass tune. I've been going through some tough times and that song describes exactly what I'm going through. I relate to it so well it almost helps me. Gahh I love this song.

Why would you ever want Green Day to go into rap.. It just doesn't make any sense.

I don't want them to go into rap, I'm just saying that, for incorporating themselves with rap it wasn't too bad. I'm not saying they should go out and do a collab album with Lil Wayne, but for an experiment, I thought it was pretty good.

Kind of like "I give you an A for effort" type deal.

I don't want them to go into rap, I'm just saying that, for incorporating themselves with rap it wasn't too bad. I'm not saying they should go out and do a collab album with Lil Wayne, but for an experiment, I thought it was pretty good.

Kind of like "I give you an A for effort" type deal.

A wannabe Keisha rapping horrible lyrics though... As a pretty big Hiphop/Rap fan, it's a disgrace. It's honestly Keisha bad. and I don't know how anyone here can defend that, just because it's Green Day. They're so much better than this.

I'm not even halfway through this album, but I can say that I like it far more than Uno. I am, without a doubt, head over heals in love with Wild One.

Archived