¡DOS! Album

Liam

warner sucks at promoting I mean no banner on itunes REALLY?!! whatever label taylor swift or rihanna are on they would never let that shit happen. also bad single choices their singles were on point during american idiot era i dont know what happened

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say that, i said that if Green Day THOUGHT it were a better idea that Warner would probably let them decide what would have been better

I didn't say that, i said that if Green Day THOUGHT it were a better idea that Warner would probably let them decide what would have benn better

But we don't know that that wouldn't have happened.

I agree with you 100%, Warner has always shown great confidence in how Green Day and Reprise handle their music. But in today's music market and awful climate, profits are maximized as much as possible, hence the ties to Twilight, the promotion on big, non-rock festivals (iHeartRadio), and them allowing Green Day to release three albums (it is cheaper to release three, "separate", $10 dollar albums than one, $25 double album).

And also i think that if Warner didn't trust Green Day to handle with their music the whole trilogy idea to begin with would have been shut down without any second thoughts.

warner sucks at promoting I mean no banner on itunes REALLY?!! whatever label taylor swift or rihanna are on they would never let that shit happen. also bad single choices their singles were on point during american idiot era i dont know what happened

The band has say so on whats singles...

I strongly disagree. I find most of the material on the new albums to be strong. Just because you don't like it all, that doesn't mean that the band didn't feel strongly about all of the material.

I hate to get into a war here or something, but look at Green Day's back catalog. Look at the songs on Dookie up through 21st Century Breakdown. This band wrote every single one of those songs, lyrics and music. I'm not the only one who feels this way. These albums are not being extremely well critically received. But back to the point, if you're going to put out three albums, then you should have enough really good songs to fill at least two albums plus another track or two on the third. I haven't heard anything on Tre except The Forgotten, which I liked, so I'll exclude that, but it's really hard for me to believe the band that wrote all of those albums I just mentioned honestly thought they had even two albums to fill. You could condense the good songs on Uno and Dos and still be short a full album. I find it hard to keep any more than 8 tracks overall. Many of these songs, like Loss of Control for example, feel so hard like they're trying to fit into a mold that they lose all potency. It's as if Billie Joe thought he'd found a formula. Try to put these songs on another one of Green Day's albums by trading an old song for a new one. I struggle to even fit two or three that I'm legitimately attached to enough to replace an old track, whereas with American Idiot, I would have easily been able to fill all thirteen slots.

They haven't been planning a trilogy for awhile. The idea came up during 21st Century Breakdown of a "three part story"; that became the three "acts" of that album. This trilogy came from the idea that "hey, we're writing all this music and we like it, its fun and simple, so let's release it all, at least for the fans". To me it seems like these have been their most fan-driven albums and their most personally-driven albums. It's a shame that people on here aren't receiving them well because of expectations and an apparent love for introspection and the theatrical.

One of my friends pointed out that they thank the fans at the end of the trilogy lyrics booklets and this was the first time they had done something like that... is that true?

I wan't under the impression that people expected a "back to basics" album with Dos.... at least, they shouldn't have anticipated that. Uno was supposed to be a "back to basics" record more similar to their earlier stuff, but they always described Dos as being more experimental and garage-y and Foxboro-y. People should have have been expecting an album that sounds like what Dos is, because that's how it's been described all along.

The thing with changing your sound and doing a more experimental, different album is that it will always be polarizing. So given that Dos is so unlike Green Day's previous material (I don't find it that different, but some people do, I think), I expected that there would be a lot of division of opinions about it. (Even though it's hard for me to understand not loving it! :lol: I just love it so much - but that's the polarizing thing. I'm on the way positive end in this case.) It can be hard for people to accept change, and sometimes the change is for something we don't necessarily like. We all like Green Day's older stuff (or at least some/most of it), and now we have a new side of them to get used to. I hope everyone keeps an open mind. It might not be your thing, but then again it could grow on you. It's just another aspect of Green Day to (hopefully) embrace.

I think Uno was meant to be a more fun record though. Dos wasn't meant to be so fun, and that's why it may not sound like they're having as much fun all the time. Songs like Fuck Time and Stop When The Red Lights Flash are fun, and the band sounds like they're having a good time - I mean, Billie's laughing throughout Fuck Time. But a lot of the songs are dealing with heavy topics. It's fairly dark despite the fun, party veneer. So I think it wasn't supposed to sound as "fun" exactly.

Oh yes, nothing about ¡Dos! was overly surprising to me. I expected it to be my least favorite of the trilogy after hearing a snippet of Nightlife and realizing how experimental it would be. I'm not upset about it or anything like that. I'm a Green Day fan 'til the end, regardless of what they release. I applaud them being willing to experiment. They're releasing a trilogy -- why the hell not test out some new-sounding material? However, just because they're experimenting doesn't mean I necessarily have to be thrilled with the results. I like ¡Dos!, don't get me wrong, it's just not epic, ground-breaking, or near the top of my favorite Green Day CD list.

And my comment about "back to basics" was directed at a previous poster a while back who said "this was the album fans have been waiting for," claiming it went back to basics with a faster sound like Insomniac. I disagree with that statement. Hope that clears things up a bit.

I totally read this as, "The band has no say on what's singles" and I was like... "...wha?" Like, that doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, the band does have say on what are singles. The singles chosen, I think, were actually pretty decent... But the promotion rather stinks. Because there just isn't enough, in the traditional places like iTunes and other music outlets.

I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what else comes from this album, and from Tre.

I hate to get into a war here or something, but look at Green Day's back catalog. Look at the songs on Dookie up through 21st Century Breakdown. This band wrote every single one of those songs, lyrics and music. I'm not the only one who feels this way. These albums are not being extremely well critically received. But back to the point, if you're going to put out three albums, then you should have enough really good songs to fill at least two albums plus another track or two on the third. I haven't heard anything on Tre except The Forgotten, which I liked, so I'll exclude that, but it's really hard for me to believe the band that wrote all of those albums I just mentioned honestly thought they had even two albums to fill. You could condense the good songs on Uno and Dos and still be short a full album. I find it hard to keep any more than 8 tracks overall. Many of these songs, like Loss of Control for example, feel so hard like they're trying to fit into a mold that they lose all potency. It's as if Billie Joe thought he'd found a formula. Try to put these songs on another one of Green Day's albums by trading an old song for a new one. I struggle to even fit two or three that I'm legitimately attached to enough to replace an old track, whereas with American Idiot, I would have easily been able to fill all thirteen slots.

Looking at their back catalog... I truly don't see what you're trying to say, because I thoroughly enjoy most of the songs from both Uno and Dos, and the rest I think are songs without which the albums would be incomplete. The fact that I can feel strongly positive about it indicates that it is likely the band is also capable of having that same strong positive feeling, about each and every one of those songs. Just because you don't think that there are many good songs, doesn't mean that the band didn't think so. There is absolutely no reason that they would have put out three albums, if they felt they only had a few good tracks. And I really can't appreciate the analogy of switching old songs for new ones. The new material is just that - new - and it isn't meant to take the place of anything else. I just can't agree with anything that you're saying, in fact I am quite confused by it.

That would be fine if the music quickly came out of nowhere, but we know that a lot of these songs, in one form or another, have existed since the long winded 21stCB tour and since well after. I don't see anything that would discredit the fact that the band developed songs at very different times from one another, and this is pretty evident in how different the albums sound. When an album is written at different times, it shows in the music, and Dos and Uno have proven this well.

I also don't see how this is them trying to appear "progressive," either. If they wanted to keep progressing, they would have just made another American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. The trilogy is them in a "reset mode", it's the closest we'll get to a self-titled, "self-defining" album. This is the segue into a new era of Green Day, they're done with everything they've already done; the know there is no going back, something that they have made pretty clear in interviews and such.

And "there is not enough good material for one album" is your opinion, just like all this has been mine. If you don't like the songs that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the songs aren't worthy of an album, that's for the band to judge.

I know Stay the Night is old. Old enough that it could actually be an outtake from 21st Century Breakdown. Drama Queen was an outtake from that album. Other than that, I don't remember hearing too many of these songs anywhere up until about a year ago. Also, it wouldn't be progressive to repeat two old albums, but it would be regressive had they just released Uno or Dos on their own, can't comment on Tre because I haven't heard it. So in the absence of a big, inspired album that would take real chances and mature, they shrugged their personas off and asked people to look at them differently again. The band can certainly judge if they think songs are worthy of an album or not, but I think the sales speak for themselves. The people buying these records are Green Day fans and not much else. Dos is doing so poorly in part because the people who purchased UNO were disappointed. A new album from a outspoken political band just over a month before a Presidential election in their country and they suddenly decide they're twenty again? That could definitely have been a letdown. I don't really buy into this whole lack of promotion thing. Everyone that bought Uno saw Dos' cover right there on the inside. If they were at all interested they would have found out about Dos' release. So while the quality of songs may be my opinion, I think it's fairly justified.

This is actually interesting. Once ¡Tré! comes out I plan on compiling my favorite trilogy songs into a playlist to see what I come up with and what just a single, "perfect" CD could have sounded like. But I never thought about "trading" new songs for old ones. Granted, it does sometimes take a while to become "attached" to a song... but you bring up a good point, even if we disagree about the thought process behind the trilogy.

really? I thought i saw an interview when they said they didnt care about that and they let the label choose but that was years ago

so if thats the case they should definitly let the label decide the singles since GD don't know what the hell they're doing.

lord you guys are so thorough with analyzing the records i dont how you guys do it

i guess im not smart enough but its very helpfull though

I totally read this as, "The band has no say on what's singles" and I was like... "...wha?" Like, that doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, the band does have say on what are singles. The singles chosen, I think, were actually pretty decent... But the promotion rather stinks. Because there just isn't enough, in the traditional places like iTunes and other music outlets.

I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what else comes from this album, and from Tre.

Looking at their back catalog... I truly don't see what you're trying to say, because I thoroughly enjoy most of the songs from both Uno and Dos, and the rest I think are songs without which the albums would be incomplete. The fact that I can feel strongly positive about it indicates that it is likely the band is also capable of having that same strong positive feeling, about each and every one of those songs. Just because you don't think that there are many good songs, doesn't mean that the band didn't think so. There is absolutely no reason that they would have put out three albums, if they felt they only had a few good tracks. And I really can't appreciate the analogy of switching old songs for new ones. The new material is just that - new - and it isn't meant to take the place of anything else. I just can't agree with anything that you're saying, in fact I am quite confused by it.

It's interesting that part of the discussion going on in this thread also revolves around how much say Green Day has regarding their music and the answer seems to be- a lot. With that in mind, what often happens to people given that much praise and liberty is what we're seeing here. They overestimate themselves, gamble, and lose. The records are not selling. Uno had pretty poor numbers for a major label commercial band, especially in comparison to other Green Day records. It spawned one very moderate radio hit. Every other album up until Uno released on Reprise had at least one hit single and often times more. Not really true of Oh Love! I haven't heard Stray Heart anywhere and it seems that people were so disappointed with Uno that they've decided to boycott Dos. When I hear about how quickly Billie recorded the vocals I feel a little cheated. There are quite a few flimsy lines and he's even off key at the end of Amy. Am I supposed to be impressed that he sang the album so fast that he made mistakes? The lyrics for Uno and some of Dos read like they were stolen from a middle school journal. What I think we've seen over the past few months is Billie getting too big for even himself. He was in a successful Broadway musical and did very well. He's had numerous platinum albums and at least one diamond. He's had too many hit singles to count. It was probably hard for him not to explode like he did at iHeart during band rehearsal. The rant from iHeart was nothing more than entitlement. He felt entitled to success, entitled to applause, entitled to praise, entitled to whatever and it just didn't work anymore.

This is actually interesting. Once ¡Tré! comes out I plan on compiling my favorite trilogy songs into a playlist to see what I come up with and what just a single, "perfect" CD could have sounded like. But I never thought about "trading" new songs for old ones. Granted, it does sometimes take a while to become "attached" to a song... but you bring up a good point, even if we disagree about the thought process behind the trilogy.

You're right, it's not a perfect system, but I think it does show the strength of even the 'filler' songs on albums like Dookie and Insomniac. Just about all of those songs had something to say, like they would grab you by the shoulders and shake you on a street corner and just scream, "Hey, listen up, I've gotta get this off my chest!" Does Fuck Time really do that for people? Does anyone know what Stop When the Red Lights Flash is even about? Is Makeout Party just laced with meaning? Sure these songs have a point, Fuck time is about Fuck time, Makeout Party is about a Makeout Party and Stop When the Red Lights Flash is probably also about fucking with maybe a few seamy prostitute references thrown in for good measure, but it doesn't feel genuine. I would be embarrassed to hear a twenty year old say 'It's fuck time' much less a forty year old. Or maybe I'm just passed the point in my life where the "F" word is rebellious and humorous by nature.

The rant from iHeart was nothing more than entitlement. He felt entitled to success, entitled to applause, entitled to praise, entitled to whatever and it just didn't work anymore.

You're right, it's not a perfect system, but I think it does show the strength of even the 'filler' songs on albums like Dookie and Insomniac. Just about all of those songs had something to say, like they would grab you by the shoulders and shake you on a street corner and just scream, "Hey, listen up, I've gotta get this off my chest!" Does Fuck Time really do that for people? Does anyone know what Stop When the Red Lights Flash is even about? Is Makeout Party just laced with meaning? Sure these songs have a point, Fuck time is about Fuck time, Makeout Party is about a Makeout Party and Stop When the Red Lights Flash is probably also about fucking with maybe a few seamy prostitute references thrown in for good measure, but it doesn't feel genuine. I would be embarrassed to hear a twenty year old say 'It's fuck time' much less a forty year old. Or maybe I'm just passed the point in my life where the "F" word is rebellious and humorous by nature.

Hold on now, that's where I draw the line. No one insults Fuck Time! :mad:

Haha, nah, I'm just kidding. :lol: I love that song more than I probably should, but I understand why some people might not like it. I think it's perfect though. It's the first song where I've liked the studio version better than the live versions on YouTube (although I do prefer some of the older lyrics before they changed them).

But let's not even turn this discussion in the direction of iHeart Radio... We now know there was a lot more going on than just that one performance/rant. Not that alcohol/drugs/whatever are an excuse, but it's hard to say it was based simply on entitlement when the guy has a legitimate substance abuse problem.

It's interesting that part of the discussion going on in this thread also revolves around how much say Green Day has regarding their music and the answer seems to be- a lot. With that in mind, what often happens to people given that much praise and liberty is what we're seeing here. They overestimate themselves, gamble, and lose. The records are not selling. Uno had pretty poor numbers for a major label commercial band, especially in comparison to other Green Day records. It spawned one very moderate radio hit. Every other album up until Uno released on Reprise had at least one hit single and often times more. Not really true of Oh Love! I haven't heard Stray Heart anywhere and it seems that people were so disappointed with Uno that they've decided to boycott Dos. When I hear about how quickly Billie recorded the vocals I feel a little cheated. There are quite a few flimsy lines and he's even off key at the end of Amy. Am I supposed to be impressed that he sang the album so fast that he made mistakes? The lyrics for Uno and some of Dos read like they were stolen from a middle school journal. What I think we've seen over the past few months is Billie getting too big for even himself. He was in a successful Broadway musical and did very well. He's had numerous platinum albums and at least one diamond. He's had too many hit singles to count. It was probably hard for him not to explode like he did at iHeart during band rehearsal. The rant from iHeart was nothing more than entitlement. He felt entitled to success, entitled to applause, entitled to praise, entitled to whatever and it just didn't work anymore.

You seem to be coming from a very, very different point of view with regards to what makes music worthwhile. Personally, I think it is enjoyment, and sometimes, though not always, meaning, and being able to relate with it. But you seem to be indicating that sales and airplay are what indicate that a song is good? Regardless of the trends of the day? I just find myself completely disagreeing with everything you're saying, and most of it doesn't follow to the conclusion that you have.

Hold on now, that's where I draw the line. No one insults Fuck Time! :mad:

Haha, nah, I'm just kidding. :lol: I love that song more than I probably should, but I understand why some people might not like it. I think it's perfect though. It's the first song where I've liked the studio version better than the live versions on YouTube (although I do prefer some of the older lyrics before they changed them).

But let's not even turn this discussion in the direction of iHeart Radio... We now know there was a lot more going on than just that one performance/rant. Not that alcohol/drugs/whatever are an excuse, but it's hard to say it was based simply on entitlement when the guy has a legitimate substance abuse problem.

I don't really mean the catalyst of the rant, but I do tend to believe that drunk words are true words and the substance of the rant, what wasn't just talking about Mexican boxers lol, did come across as very entitled. Maybe I've been phrasing my theory the wrong way though. I don't really mean that they knew from the minute they walked into the studio that they were going to do three albums, but I do think they probably made about ten tracks comprised of cuts from the different albums and then decided to attempt to expand.

I haven't heard Stray Heart anywhere and it seems that people were so disappointed with Uno that they've decided to boycott Dos.

What exactly do you mean? From what I've noticed, most Green Day fans were pleased with Uno. In fact, I believe it received a more positive feedback from fans than 21CB did.

You seem to be coming from a very, very different point of view with regards to what makes music worthwhile. Personally, I think it is enjoyment, and sometimes, though not always, meaning, and being able to relate with it. But you seem to be indicating that sales and airplay are what indicate that a song is good? Regardless of the trends of the day? I just find myself completely disagreeing with everything you're saying, and most of it doesn't follow to the conclusion that you have.

While I don't think airplay and sales are necessarily good indicators for a songs or albums in general, when you're talking about a band that people on here love to call, 'the biggest in the world' who are signed to major label and have historically always reached at least some level of platinum on their albums even through various trends, sixty thousand units in a first week is troubling. If we were talking about a Dead Kennedy's album, I'd agree that sales wouldn't correlate, but on a commercial level, which Green Day have been on for a while, Dos is definitely a flop and I think Uno is as well, although that's debatable. Also, enjoyment is a big part of what makes music great, certainly if you don't enjoy the music you won't be very inclined to listen to the band, but I don't find it enjoyable to listen to someone's midlife crisis occur over twenty-five tracks thus far. Hell, I don't find anything about the idea of a midlife crisis enjoyable, but least of all the offputting way it's being presented. They made their adolescent struggles self-deprecating, funny, and extremely relatable. Granted, they just aren't as relatable now because they're millionaires who have toured the world and lead very different lives than the average person, but I still think they could have found some common ground somewhere.

Again, that would be fine if Billie Joe never had success, applause, and praise; but guess what, he has. In fact, he's had more than his fair share. Green Day has proven time and time again that they're a great rock band, probably in the top three biggest rock bands in the world right now (Metallica, Foo Fighters, Green Day; if an event needs a rock band nowadays, they go to them). They get tons of respect from respected music journalists like Rolling Stone, and the music industry still pays a ton of attention to them. This isn't just my fandom speaking, by the way, most people, even some GD haters, would agree they are a HUGE band, even if not everyone likes their music.

The financial success of an album is NEVER an indicator of an album's quality. Most mainstream, radio friendly music these days proves this fact time and time again. By your logic, Warning is piece of shit, when now it is being generally regarded in numerous rewrites as Green Day's best album musically. Frank Zappa, an incredible musician, barely ever made a dime on from his records, and yet he is regarded as one of the greatest song writers and guitar players of the last 50+ years. There is no "boycott" of Dos, the album is hurting because of a lack of real promotion, and the fact that Stray Heart is not officially in US single rotation.

And saying that Billie Joe "cheated us" by singing the album quickly is, once again, inaccurate. Billie Joe has ALWAYS sung every album quickly. Rob Cavallo has said numerous times that he had never seen an artist record vocals so fast and professionally until he worked with Green Day on Dookie. The same happened on American Idiot (he even sang those songs with hang overs, for God's sake) and every album in between. And that bit on Amy is dissonance from the guitar, it's supposed to (and does) sound raw.

I would also like to add that the success of Green Day has never just been Billie Joe or him "getting too big for himself". Green Day is 3 guys (4 now) that come together to hammer out great songs and perform amazing live shows, Billie Joe may come up with the basic lyrics and melody, but he would have never been able to do it without Tre and Mike.

What exactly do you mean? From what I've noticed, most Green Day fans were pleased with Uno. In fact, I believe it received a more positive feedback from fans than 21CB did.

The fans on here do seem fairly pleased, but even if everyone on here bought a Green Day album, I don't think it would amount to much in the way of sales. I'm talking more about the casual listeners. As I said, even though I disliked Uno quite a bit, I still bought Dos because I enjoy Green Day historically and I want to help the band out regardless. Casual listeners don't feel that way and I think we're seeing that now.

The fans on here do seem fairly pleased, but even if everyone on here bought a Green Day album, I don't think it would amount to much in the way of sales. I'm talking more about the casual listeners. As I said, even though I disliked Uno quite a bit, I still bought Dos because I enjoy Green Day historically and I want to help the band out regardless. Casual listeners don't feel that way and I think we're seeing that now.

That still doesn't mean that the albums were thrown together, though. Just because it isn't received as positively as one might hope, that doesn't mean that the band just threw it out there.

Amy sounds like it does cause one it was recorded at Billie's apartment on his home studio...

I think Amy sounds perfect, actually. It sounds like he is on the verge of tears, very raw and heartfelt... Makes me feel like crying, too.

Archived