¡DOS! Album

Liam

Rep for knowing Lords of Acid!

are they the Cobras???? I know they have a new album coming out soon.... and what if the Cobras will be on tour with green day?? maybe this summer in Europe.... They could do Nightlife live then ^^ what do you think?? Is it possible?? a Green Day-Cobras tour??

Oh I would fucking love the Cobras to support Green Day. I doubt it would happen, they are probably too xrated considering a lot of GD fans at a show would be under 18. Still, one can dream.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think he means the line 'she's old enough to bleed now' which I find a bit creepy.

haha I find it kind of creepy too, but I don't think it's meant to be that way.

It bothers me that people keep taking that line at (a perverted) face value, but that's an issue for another thread.

i don't get why people think it means something perverted at all..

It bothers me that people keep taking that line at (a perverted) face value, but that's an issue for another thread.

at first i didn't think anything of it but you guys over analyze things so much i cant get i out of my head billie wants to have sex with a girl who just had her first period lol i know its not true but whatever.

i dont really care for the fillers but when tre comes out we can all pick out our favorite songs and make your own green day record. That's pretty cool if you think about it

Well, I don't think there are that many "filler" songs so far in these albums.

He knows everything...What I can't understand is why he entering into a thread to speak about an album who hates...If I hated an album wouldn't have entered to talk about it...

It's ridiculous to degrade everything...It's ridiculous to say that all songs are fillers.

It's funny that you say that, I find DOS much better lyrically than Uno. Sure, it has some silly, "empty" songs like Fuck Time or Makeout Party, but lyrics like the ones of Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Amy or even Ashley are (to me) better than any lyrics of Uno.

I know each has his own opinion, and I absolutely respect that, but I find it hard to believe that things like "I'm to tired to be bored, I'm to bored to be tired and the silence is so defeaning it's like picking at a sore" are empty of feeling or effort.

It's not only about the lyrics and the meaning itself, but I find it much more elaborate the puns, the way BJ "plays" with words. "This careless memory and now I could care less", or the whole Wow! That's loud song are just examples of an awesome rhetoric.

Yes! Agreed to all of this. I actually like Uno's lyrics but I find this album to be much richer, lyrically. I always love the way he plays with words, and can say so much (while leaving so many blanks to be filled in by the listener) just by the way he arranges simple sequences of words. Some things may sound silly, but to me, it actually always sounds so poetic. I mean, sometimes the meaning is very base, like Fuck Time, naturally, but so much is often conveyed in just a few words.

It's a shame that people on here aren't receiving them well because of expectations and an apparent love for introspection and the theatrical.

I actually just love good albums. Uno delivered. Dos did not.

at first i didn't think anything of it but you guys over analyze things so much i cant get i out of my head billie wants to have sex with a girl who just had her first period lol i know its not true but whatever.

i dont really care for the fillers but when tre comes out we can all pick out our favorite songs and make your own green day record. That's pretty cool if you think about it

When I first read about Drama Queen on here and saw that people thought it was creepy, I looked it up to listen to it and see what the deal was. I just kind of sighed. I didn't get that at all from that line, kind of like how everyone keeps saying "See You Tonight" is about a stalker or whatever.

I agree with you on that people can make their own Uno/Dos/Tre playlists when Tre comes out, maybe people will stop complaining and enjoy the music (finally). Personally, my Uno/Dos/Tre album will be all 37 songs, because as soon as I try to cut out the so called "filler" songs I immediately miss them and stick 'em back in there.

I respect all opinions, but I'll say again that I feel like this record is extremely inspired. Just because you assume a song was written in 5 minutes, or the riff is sort of similar to something else, doesn't prove that it's passionless or phoned in. I think the Trilogy oozes passion and emotion, people saying the opposite confuse me, but I guess everyone has their reasons for thinking differently.

I agree completely, I mean, people are allowed to think whatever, but when saying that the trilogy songs are passionless leaves me utterly confused. The albums came from having all of the energy and inspiration of writing the songs. It was because there was so much that they liked that there are three...

Haha, I never thought about Drama Queen that that was what he actually intended by that lyric... but I did think of that. I understand it to mean that she is old enough to feel pain...

I respect your opinion, but nevertheless:

>Implying I was referring specifically to you.

I know you weren't, I again just wanted to point out that the reason people might not like the albums is not necessarily that they aren't like AI or 21CB.

I like both the albums we have gotten so far. I do prefer DOS though. I have found myself skipping Loss of Control and sweet16 from UNO and Fuck Time on DOS but im realy liking everything else.

I know you weren't, I again just wanted to point out that the reason people might not like the albums is not necessarily that they aren't like AI or 21CB.

I understand completely that some people simply don't like the album, and that's totally okay. But I see quite a few people, no not just here on GDC, saying that they don't like Dos (and Uno, for that matter) because "this isn't the Green Day they know". 95% of the time these are "post-American Idiot fans" (although, as I see it, we're all fans one way or another; there is not "new", "old" Green Day, just one awesome face melting punk rock band). That's just my point of view, and even though I realize that I am generalizing a bit, I stand by that opinion.

I like both the albums we have gotten so far. I do prefer DOS though. I have found myself skipping Loss of Control and sweet16 from UNO and Fuck Time on DOS.

It's a shame that you don't like Sweet 16, that's one of my favorites and standout in my opinion. Loss of Control I understand, although I love the attitude on that song. Do you like Baby Eyes? In my opinion that's a very similar song, tonally, to Loss of Control.

I understand completely that some people simply don't like the album, and that's totally okay. But I see quite a few people, no not just here on GDC, saying that they don't like Dos (and Uno, for that matter) because "this isn't the Green Day they know". 95% of the time these are "post-American Idiot fans" (although, as I see it, we're all fans one way or another; there is not "new", "old" Green Day, just one awesome face melting punk rock band). That's just my point of view, and even though I realize that I am generalizing a bit, I stand by that opinion.

No, I agree with you, actually. I guess all the people I've talked to about not liking it haven't really used that as a reason. I love getting new stuff, new styles of music, I just don't feel like Dos pulled it off. I'm still glad they tried, and it's not a bad album either, it's just mediocre.

i think he means the line 'she's old enough to bleed now' which I find a bit creepy.

I can't understand how this would be creepy, I actually find that particular line beautiful.

I can't understand how this would be creepy, I actually find that particular line beautiful.

Maybe because of the inherent implication that he's talking about menstruation, which would mean the girl was around 13 years old.

i really enjoyed this album, more than Uno. It had more of a FBHT type feel of fun, sex and love rather than politics and story with 21st CB. I'm so glad they dropped the whole political thing after 21st CB, it should have been finished after AI really. I do get what some people are saying about some songs being fillers on Uno but i like them all on Dos. Also I drew a weird parellel with this record to Queen's Night at the Opera, because of the range of genres. Also I was so impressed with See You Tonight, don't think I've heard a Green Day track thats acoustic (well basically) and isn't downbeat.

edit: and i really dont think Billie Joe Armstrong wants to fuck a 13 year old

i just gonna quote myself

it's all your fault!!!!!! (not you ofcourse) :happy:

someone should just ask bilie then we can all get the image out of our heads that billie is a pedofile :lol:

It's a shame that you don't like Sweet 16, that's one of my favorites and standout in my opinion. Loss of Control I understand, although I love the attitude on that song. Do you like Baby Eyes? In my opinion that's a very similar song, tonally, to Loss of Control.

Sweet 16 is ok but i dont think i would choose to listen to it anymore, but if it came on randomly i might. Loss of Control just does nothing for me and yes i do like Baby Eyes alot.

Stop When The Red Light's Flash is a perfect example of phoning it in.

Sounds like Billie wrote it in 5 minutes and the riff is almost reused from Homecoming.

I just want to point out: Didn't Billie say he wrote Boulevard Of Broken Dreams in 5 minutes? That song seems pretty profound and personal - not phoned in.

Just because a song came out quickly doesn't mean it lacks passion or effort. On the contrary, I'd say that in many cases that's when the artist is more inspired and that's why the words come to them so fast. I wouldn't say that always happens, but it's certainly possible.

I don't think that time spent composing a song necessarily correlates with the song's quality or degree of profundity.

But I really don't think this is the "back to basics" album everyone was anticipating. Actually, it's unlike anything they've ever done before (besides Foxboro Hot Tubs), which explains its polarizing nature.

I wan't under the impression that people expected a "back to basics" album with Dos.... at least, they shouldn't have anticipated that. Uno was supposed to be a "back to basics" record more similar to their earlier stuff, but they always described Dos as being more experimental and garage-y and Foxboro-y. People should have have been expecting an album that sounds like what Dos is, because that's how it's been described all along.

The thing with changing your sound and doing a more experimental, different album is that it will always be polarizing. So given that Dos is so unlike Green Day's previous material (I don't find it that different, but some people do, I think), I expected that there would be a lot of division of opinions about it. (Even though it's hard for me to understand not loving it! :lol: I just love it so much - but that's the polarizing thing. I'm on the way positive end in this case.) It can be hard for people to accept change, and sometimes the change is for something we don't necessarily like. We all like Green Day's older stuff (or at least some/most of it), and now we have a new side of them to get used to. I hope everyone keeps an open mind. It might not be your thing, but then again it could grow on you. It's just another aspect of Green Day to (hopefully) embrace.

Yeah, I mentioned Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Amy and Wow! as songs that I think are good. And again, the lyrics on Uno weren't great, but at least it sounded like the band was having fun playing those songs. I don't get that feeling from Dos, except on those aforementioned tracks.

I think Uno was meant to be a more fun record though. Dos wasn't meant to be so fun, and that's why it may not sound like they're having as much fun all the time. Songs like Fuck Time and Stop When The Red Lights Flash are fun, and the band sounds like they're having a good time - I mean, Billie's laughing throughout Fuck Time. But a lot of the songs are dealing with heavy topics. It's fairly dark despite the fun, party veneer. So I think it wasn't supposed to sound as "fun" exactly.

That's a twisted interpretation :lol:

Um...how else would you interpret it?

I think Uno was meant to be a more fun record though. Dos wasn't meant to be so fun, and that's why it may not sound like they're having as much fun all the time. Songs like Fuck Time and Stop When The Red Lights Flash are fun, and the band sounds like they're having a good time - I mean, Billie's laughing throughout Fuck Time. But a lot of the songs are dealing with heavy topics. It's fairly dark despite the fun, party veneer. So I think it wasn't supposed to sound as "fun" exactly.

That's a very fair point.

With this trilogy Green Day does what they do best: divide the hell out of the fans. They do it with every single release and I think it's hilarious. To me it just shows that they still know how to make music that gets people talking, whether they think it's good or bad.

Archived