¡DOS! Album

Liam

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King For A Day, similarly, is absolute nonsense. And if you hate K4AD, I'm baffled for you.

Fuck Time is a total gag. Can never not laugh at the way Billie kicks into that chorus so sincerely.

I actually like King for a day, but you missed the point i was trying to make, because for me King for a day does work as a fun song and doesnt seem idiotic like fuck time. The song kind of makes fun of sexuality bla bla...there are many Green Day songs which could seem like nonesense like the song Brat which talks about a kid waiting for his parents to die, and the good thing about Green Day is that they manage to make that song seem fun dark and honest in an efective way. On the other hand Fuck time has a stupid theme to it..but no only that the song has this very generic rock sound and this is what really makes it seem bland and unecessary.

I actually like King for a day, but you missed the point i was trying to make, because for me King for a day does work as a fun song and doesnt seem idiotic like fuck time. The song kind of makes fun of sexuality bla bla...there are many Green Day songs which could seem like nonesense like the song Brat which talks about a kid waiting for his parents to die, and the good thing about Green Day is that they manage to make that song seem fun dark and honest in an efective way. On the other hand Fuck time has a stupid theme to it..but no only that the song has this very generic rock sound and this is what really makes it seem bland and unecessary.

King For A Day isn't idiotic? Wha?

This song is definitely 'unnecessary', but hell a lot of things about this trilogy are if we wanna go down that path.

I understand that you don't like this song but on the other hand you are very excessive talking about a song like "Fuck Time" and analyzing so much.It's just a dirty,happy and silly song.

We don't need some pompous analysis.This album doesn't intend to do something like "American Idiot"."Fuck Time" fits perfectly into the overall style of Dos. :shy:

I didnt think my comment was a thorough analysis of the song, but if it helps you understand ,I think it sucks a lot and although it kind of fits in it doesnt mean it is good on its own or should go in the album, in my opinion of course :). Oh and im not expecting an album that intends the same like American Idiot, because lazy bones is not a 9 minute song or really complex and its absolutely great! ^^

Loving iDos! so far here. Really only one track that I don't connect well with. Quick capsule reviews of each song:

See You Tonight - creepy, "stalkerish" lyrics set to a sweet Simon & Garfunkel -esque folk melody played on a solo guitar is absolutely chilling. 10/10

Fuck Time - We all know this one already. Silly, trashy, raunchy, with lyrics that are as hysterically fun as they are tongue-in-cheek misogynistic. The 80s southern rock vibe is executed well, even as it's borrowed right out of The Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" -- and in that there's a piece of black humor waiting for us that I think some of the professional early reviewers are totally missing. Remember, "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" is all about a guy who ain't gettin' no lovin' from his honey 'cause he ain't put a ring on her finger yet.....so incorporating a slice of that rhythm to back up an ode to no-holds-barred, lustful "Let's get it onnnnnn, baby!!" is a piece of satiric genius. Lyrically, it has its moments (I love "I'm a beggar but I don't want a dime") but it's far from Green Day's best. Real fun song anyway. 8/10

Stop When The Red Lights Flash - First of several real pump-ass garage rockers on the album. Has overtones of Billy Squier's "Everybody Wants You" riff, and Tre's machine-gun snare fills are ear candy to the 10th power. Love this one start to finish. 9/10

Lazy Bones - Funny lyrics that I can TOTALLY identify with. The hint of "Give Me Novacaine" is as perfect as it is deliberate; it hammers home the element of "make it just fucking STOP already" that the lyrics allude to without explicitly stating. Lyrical wordplay highlight: "I can't stand for falling down, I'm too sick to throw up". Not *quite* as blow-the-speakers powerful as SWTRLF, yet still very entertaining and enjoyable. 8/10

Wild One - Visually compelling songwriting ("I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, I jumped on the grenade" tells you everything you need to know about willfully following your heart into a place where you *know* it doesn't belong), but laid out over a whiny and droning musical theme. Sluggish, too long, almost to the point of being a snoozer in my opinion; maybe even just a slightly faster tempo would have made a big difference arrangement-wise. As is, it may grow on me over time so I'm not counting it out yet, but it's got its work cut out for it. 6/10.

Makeout Party - The wake-up call after Wild One. Aggressive garage rock straight out of Foxboro Hot Tubs, spicy, energizing lyrics with a simple yet blitzkreig chorus ("Anyhow, anywhere, kiss me there!"), great percussion from Tre, and one of the best bass solos I've heard from Mike in AGES (Jason's guitar solo here isn't anything to sneeze at either). Love this one. 10/10

Stray Heart - Our nameless narrator gets caught with his pants down, literally, and now he needs to make amends even as he knows his heart's not in it anymore. More great drum fills and another excellent bass line backing it all up, this time over a pop song structure instead of garage rock. Very enjoyable and well-placed in the loose storyline. And the video is fucking hysterical. 8/10.

Ashley - This one is the surprise of the record (at least for me) -- when I first heard it I didn't think I'd actually come to enjoy it as much as I do. I think it has some echoes of Social D's "Another State of Mind" in it -- punchy music with some melodic yet dark, sinister lyrics. I still need to get deeper into these lyrics; at this point my takeaway is that "Ashley" is naming our narrator's love interest who is dragging him into the abyss, while identifying what's so enticing and dangerous about her -- Angel Blue, yet darker. 8/10

Baby Eyes - Mike's bass line drives home this equally dark and sinister song to Ashley. The vocal melody elevates it a bit more but there's no escaping this one's garaged-up punk core that seems to borrow slightly (as did Let Yourself Go on iUno!) from Christian's Inferno. Another solid 8/10.

Lady Cobra - The third of the standout rockers on the album (in addition to SWTRLF and Makeout Party). Foxtubs garage rock to the max with a jive rhythm that evokes Green Day's excellent cover of the Stones' "Rip This Joint" on Jimmy Fallon a few years ago. Explosive yet incredibly tight rhythm and bass, with lyrics that set up a bookend with Amy ("I just wanna be your friend"...."do you wanna be a friend of mine?") 10/10.

Nightlife - Distorted vocals that are all TOO autobiographical given Billie's recent substance abuse issues that came to light. It's set to an urban hip-hop four-on-the-floor rhythm that features yet another killer bass line and bookends iUno!'s Kill the DJ, thus completing Green Day's bitterly sarcastic poke at modern party culture. Mystic Knights' Lady Cobra guest-raps a duet with Billie, including toward the song's end a call-and-response between the two sharply different vocal styles that is as effective as it is chilling. I didn't know how this one was going to turn out, but I'm really liking it so far. 8/10 for overall quality, plus a bonus point for pushing the envelope. 9/10.

Wow! That's Loud - This one opens with the lead guitar being played like a fiddle, infusing an Irish or Scottish-like theme that reappears several times through the course of the song. The upbeat rhythm and "ooooh oooooh" backing vocal harmonies borrow a bit from FBHT's "27th Avenue Shuffle" while amping it up another notch in terms of lyrical punch. After staggering through his doped-up haze, our narrator seems captivated by his lust object's appearance or attire (Wow, that dirty dress is so loud"), and about halfway through the song we sense from some musical noise that something is about to go very, very wrong. The rhythm, the percussion, the guitars all break apart from each other and blur together again in a distorted haze, over gentle vocals that slowly bring us -- briefly -- back to the original rhythm. I'll need a lyric sheet to figure out all that's going on in here, but "like a bottle rocket in the sky" at first glance seems to be a (maybe perverted?) call-back to Carpe Diem on iUno! -- maybe the "fuck it all" optimism that burst out of Carpe Diem comes crashing back to earth as our narrator now finds himself not just close to the edge, but over it. "You're such a beautiful mess tonight" leads to a reprise of "wow that dirty dress is so loud", and then into a repetition of the "oooh oooh oohhh" harmonic backing vocal chorus that plays out for a few measures before grinding to an unnerving, blinding, grating, guitar-screeching halt. The party is suddenly over, and the deliberate distorted feedback is presumably placed here to indicate that somebody either dies or winds up in some not-so-good place. Perhaps not our narrator, perhaps not his lust object (Angel Blue/Ashley?), but maybe some other unnamed bystander loosely associated with them. 9/10

Amy - The closer is a fantastic tribute to a great soul singer who went over the edge LONG before her time. In Amy Winehouse, Billie sees some part of himself, and in asking "do you wanna be a friend of mine?" (see the contrast with Lady Cobra here?) he seems to be suggesting that "even though I never met you, we share some of the same demons -- and but for the grace of something or other, I could end up like you." The only thing that could beat the arrangement that Billie put on this album would be using an acoustic guitar and maybe some strings instead of the electric. 9/10

Overall, an first-rate piece of work. Punky, funky, innovative, deep lyrics, and a solid listen from start to finish. 9/10.

King For A Day isn't idiotic? Wha?

This song is definitely 'unnecessary', but hell a lot of things about this trilogy are if we wanna go down that path.

I said it doesnt seem as idiotic as Fuck time! hahahhaha you know! well its not going one path or another but if you agree with me that it is unecessary why put in a trilogy where every song is maybe not genuis but pretty decent! like billie would probably state???

Nuclear Family

Lazy Bones

Baby Eyes

Wild One

Stop When The Red Lights Flash

Amy

Rusty James

Troublemaker

Lady Cobra

Nightlife

Angel Blue

Stay The Night

Fuck Time

Kill The DJ

Carpe Diem

Stray Heart

Loss Of Control

Let Yourself Go

Oh Love

Sweet 16

Fell For You

Makeout Party

Ashley

Wow! That's Loud

See You Tonight

My ranking

Have you considered reviewing for a profession?

I do computer systems architecture and administration for a living -- pays better. This is my fucking hobby. :D

I said it doesnt seem as idiotic as Fuck time! hahahhaha you know! well its not going one path or another but if you agree with me that it is unecessary why put in a trilogy where every song is maybe not genuis but pretty decent! like billie would probably state???

Naw, a large part of the trilogy is just fat they didn't want to trim. He put it on there because he liked the song and wanted it on the release, just like all the others. And tbh I don't understand singling out Fuck Time as a standalone poor track.

Fuck time is holding this album back from being something great. I know Ive already said this many times, but the song doesnt work as Green Day would have liked, its certainly not the band´s best, and if you ask me its actually one of their worst songs up until now in their carreer. I understand why some people think its fun, but to me the real generic and dumb rock song of the trilogy is Fuck time, its absolute nonesense. Im sure im not the only one that shares the same feeling towards this piece of shit song that Green Day have decided to put out.

Fuck time is holding this album back from being something great. I know Ive already said this many times, but the song doesnt work as Green Day would have liked, its certainly not the band´s best, and if you ask me its actually one of their worst songs up until now in their carreer. I understand why some people think its fun, but to me the real generic and dumb rock song of the trilogy is Fuck time, its absolute nonesense. Im sure im not the only one that shares the same feeling towards this piece of shit song that Green Day have decided to put out.

I really don't see how Fuck Time or See you tonight are any different than Dominated Love Slave. Do you hate that song too? I mean it is kind of a generic rock song but a lot of green day's music is. I mean they mix so many genres it is bound to be a bit generic. Passionate and heartfelt but a big generic.

This sorta shit is why I loved reading your responses to SotW! :D

Sorry, bit misleading there. I don't mean "shit" in a judgement sense, just as a thing!

I really don't see how Fuck Time or See you tonight are any different than Dominated Love Slave. Do you hate that song too? I mean it is kind of a generic rock song but a lot of green day's music is. I mean they mix so many genres it is bound to be a bit generic. Passionate and heartfelt but a big generic.

I never really liked Dominated Love Slave either hahahaha... I see what you mean, but I feel that although there other Green Day albums that are generic like lets say Nimrod(which i adore), their songs work better than Fuck time. By the way i dont know why youve suddenly compared Dominated Love Slave or Fuck Time with See you tonight!!

I never really liked Dominated Love Slave either hahahaha... I see what you mean, but I feel that although there other Green Day albums that are generic like lets say Nimrod(which i adore), their songs work better than Fuck time. By the way i dont know why youve suddenly associated Dominated Love Slave or Fuck Time with See you tonight!!

I never really liked Dominated Love Slave either hahahaha... I see what you mean, but I feel that although there other Green Day albums that are generic like lets say Nimrod(which i adore), their songs work better than Fuck time. By the way i dont know why youve suddenly associated Dominated Love Slave or Fuck Time with See you tonight!!

Because they are all creep songs about sex. Fuck Time is a also has a little blues/country twang to it after the verse like Dominated Love Slave does. I mean what I got from those two songs was they were going back to making really silly songs from Kerplunk!

why?

Because it just doesn't have that same drive as Uno, it's too FHT sounding. Like garage rock or something - not interested.

Really don't like Fuck Time, Wild One or Amy at all.

Anyone else notice how Billie's writing grew really darker in Dos? I can't help but notice in his lyrics and correlate them with him falling into some type of possible addiction i.e. going to rehab.

Mike said in an interview recently how the band noticied things were getting bad with Billie while writing the trilogy. Notice in the lyrics

Wild One:

"She, little wild (white?) one, my heart is a chaser (alcohol), she's strung out on razors (cocaine?) now"

Also, I feel like this Lady Cobra might have had an effect on him...

Lady Cobra:

"She just wants to get me high, stick a needle in my eye"

Now on to Nightlife, I find this song to be the most interesting song thus far. I feel like "taking a ride to my old haunt" is going down old roads of addiction. And her lyrics are full of lust and temptation. "I got the thing that you want, the fix that you need, chase this with a little lust and greed".

And as we all know, Amy Winehouse died an addicts' death. Plenty of artists die, but why her? Maybe she was someone Billie could relate to, Billie may be reaching out for help. "Do you want to be a friend of mine?"

Who knows, I could very well be reading into these lyrics too much, but Billie has always wrote down his "inner demons" on paper and made them into lyrics. But I find this installment in the trilogy extremely beautiful, creepy, haunting, and down right f**king awesome.

Thoughts and prayers to Billie Joe, cannot wait until this album comes out.

No offense, but this is exactly what I was hoping people WOULDN'T do. It's not just you doing it, obviously, but I'm starting to see a lot of people read way too much into lyrics to try to relate it to Billie's problems, when they more than likely have little to do with it.

Because they are all creep songs about sex. Fuck Time is a also has a little blues/country twang to it after the verse like Dominated Love Slave does. I mean what I got from those two songs was they were going back to making really silly songs from Kerplunk!

ahhh ok ok! I didnt know see you tonight had a sexual theme to it! Im in love with some Green Day´s silly songs but with Fuck Time I just cant get into it.

Anyone else notice how Billie's writing grew really darker in Dos? I can't help but notice in his lyrics and correlate them with him falling into some type of possible addiction i.e. going to rehab.

My wife and I both think that the trilogy is a 37-song cry for help; it's packaged in the context of an unhealthy love/lust relationship or an affair (which more people I think can relate to) as opposed to a more express reference to alcoholism or drug addiction like the band did with some songs on Nimrod. But the subliminal references to drug use are definitely there in the lyrics, and especially given Billie's penchant for autobiographical songwriting, can't be ignored especially in light of his recent public troubles. I think Billie was going over the edge slowly as he wrote this, and maybe getting it out on paper was in a way therapeutic for him or at least slowed the decline to the point where even his best friends couldn't cover for him anymore.

Anyone else get a C&V vibe from Baby Eyes? I know that's a weird question, but I have it in my head what I assumed that album would sound like given that song and other B-sides that I think were in the same style (Hearts Collide).

I love Nightlife. It is my favorite track on the album.. I am not sure if people are really getting the song. I am wondering if people are just saying "WTF is this" and not giving it a chance. Of course this is just my opinion, but this is kind of my analysis on it. Please keep in mind this doesnt have anything to do with what happened recently with him, it's just what I think they were going for. First of all, it's obviously about an addict, whether it be alcohol, drugs, sex, whatever. I think the person it is about is just worn out, and massively depressed. I think that is what the drawn out, distorted almost moaning vocals are trying to achieve. The total emptyness and hopeless attitude of this individual. The rap part I think represents his addiction. The sexy style of vocal trying to represent the vice and attractiveness of whatever has a hold on this person. All I can picture when this song plays is some loser type driving around at 1am in the seedy part of town fighting with his concious. And this sleazy, depressing, almost "red light district" feeling type of song does an amazing job of all of that.

And any song that makes me think about what it's true meaning is rather than just moving to the next song.. Thats amazing.

Ashley - This one is the surprise of the record (at least for me) -- when I first heard it I didn't think I'd actually come to enjoy it as much as I do. I think it has some echoes of Social D's "Another State of Mind" in it -- punchy music with some melodic yet dark, sinister lyrics. I still need to get deeper into these lyrics; at this point my takeaway is that "Ashley" is identifying our narrator's love interest who is dragging him into the abyss. 8/10

Yes, I thought it sounded like Another State of Mind, too! I think Ashley may end up being my favorite off of Dos, partly because of this. I love the awesome Social Distortion-esque punk sound it has.

After listening to ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! quite a bit, I think I can safely say that I like ¡Uno! more. I think it's tighter as an album and I guess I just prefer the poppy sound. I still love ¡Dos! and the garage-rock/70's feel it has, but I don't know, it just doesn't do it as well for me. I still say that I will like ¡Tre! the most.

After listening to ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! quite a bit, I think I can safely say that I like ¡Uno! more. I think it's tighter as an album and I guess I just prefer the poppy sound. I still love ¡Dos! and the garage-rock/70's feel it has, but I don't know, it just doesn't do it as well for me. I still say that I will like ¡Tre! the most.

yeah same here

iUNO! is a little bit better than iDOS!

Because it just doesn't have that same drive as Uno, it's too FHT sounding. Like garage rock or something - not interested.

Really don't like Fuck Time, Wild One or Amy at all.

Do you dislike iDos! because it's not the type of music you enjoy or do you neutrally just think it's a bad album?

I love Nightlife. It is my favorite track on the album.. I am not sure if people are really getting the song. I am wondering if people are just saying "WTF is this" and not giving it a chance. Of course this is just my opinion, but this is kind of my analysis on it. Please keep in mind this doesnt have anything to do with what happened recently with him, it's just what I think they were going for. First of all, it's obviously about an addict, whether it be alcohol, drugs, sex, whatever. I think the person it is about is just worn out, and massively depressed. I think that is what the drawn out, distorted almost moaning vocals are trying to achieve. The total emptyness and hopeless attitude of this individual. The rap part I think represents his addiction. The sexy style of vocal trying to represent the vice and attractiveness of whatever has a hold on this person. All I can picture when this song plays is some loser type driving around at 1am in the seedy part of town fighting with his concious. And this sleazy, depressing, almost "red light district" feeling type of song does an amazing job of all of that.

And any song that makes me think about what it's true meaning is rather than just moving to the next song.. Thats amazing.

Some interesting insight there. I had just assumed the verses feat Lady Cobra in the story were the main character being provided with some St Jimmy-esque company by a fiendish party girl. I never thought about the idea that it might be his own thoughts narrating what nightlife should be. Mind you, that character being in his head is also very St Jimmy-esque!

Archived