Used to run an officially endorsed Green Day site, ask me anything

JAS0N

*bows down*

We're not worthy, we're not worthy.

No, seriously though, that must have been a pretty awesome experience.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL thank you for reminding me that geocities existed and was once a part of my life :lol: That and, what was it... angelfire? :lol:

What do you mean accidentally leaked a song? Explain that part

There was a song, by some troll, and rumor had it that it was Green Day (even though it sounded nothing like them) and he posted it on the website saying it was Green Day-and everyone got mad at him

LOL thank you for reminding me that geocities existed and was once a part of my life :lol: That and, what was it... angelfire? :lol:

Geocities angelfire tripod lol

After all your communication with them, you bailed! :lol:

When did you talk to Adie last?

It's been many years, I tried to DM her on twitter but she never responded

Me=Jealous! Not only did you get to talk to Billie and Adie..but they GAVE you FREE stuff? :o

However, did you ever get to talk to any of the other members..specifically Tre or Mike? xD

that's really cool. oh my god geocities LOL.

Very cool.

Do you have any screenshots of the old website design? I'd love to see what was "cool" back then :P

that's really cool. oh my god geocities LOL.

Very cool.

Do you have any screenshots of the old website design? I'd love to see what was "cool" back then :P

You can see it on waybackmachine.org if your search for GreenDay.net, 1999 is the only year they have (and it doesn't show the side frame). Unfortunately that was just before the complete redesign, which was actually cool - the site there is very basic haha

Wow. that site is so out of date now. So interested in what else you have to share with everyone else.

How long did it take for the site to start picking up pace and getting notoriety? Do you regret selling the site knowing about the state that it's in now?

Obviously you must have been a huge fan of the band back then. Are you still a fan of their newest material?

They are still my favorite band, I love the new stuff - Uno was great to me because it reminded me of their earlier stuff that I fell in love with. I will admit though that 21 Century Breakdown was my least favorite album, I was really happen that the trilogy is more classic GD.

Did Billie, Mike, or Tre have an account secretly to your site that only you knew about? Meaning, were they members, and no one else knew it was them. Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Nope, at the time the Internet was not nearly as much of a way of life as it is now though. I remember Adrienne commented that Billie doesn't really use the computer much - I was very surprised when he started on twitter and Instagram, but I'm happy to see they've embraced Instagram I'm particular and hope they keep up with it.

How long did you talk to Billie? Was he cool?

Adrienne would periodically ask me if I had questions for Billie and tell me to come up with some stuff to ask him and he'd reply with an email answering everything I asked - only spoke to him once when I met him in person.

What do you mean accidentally leaked a song? Explain that part

A guy sent in a couple songs, one was called 'Listen Son' I think, and said they were leaked Green Day songs. I was an idiot and ran with it, a few radio stations played one of the songs and every single big music site reported on it (like Rolling Stone as mentioned). The next day Adrienne emailed me and said it was not Green Day. Just looked it up here is the full story on detail:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Green-Day-Hoax

I just read the interview i linked with the guy who did the hoax and I feel like even more of a fucking idiot, wtf was I thinking.

Oh I remember the 2005-2006 version! I used to go there a little bit.

Haha it is a really basic site. Damn

Wow. that site is so out of date now. So interested in what else you have to share with everyone else.

How long did it take for the site to start picking up pace and getting notoriety? Do you regret selling the site knowing about the state that it's in now?

Yes - so much. I never knew how good I had it then, looking back it was an amazing experience. I was 18 though and they offered $5000 US which at the time was $7,500 Canadian, so i can understand why I sold out but I do regret it, especially when I view really cool pages on the site like Billie's Corner and Police File which have had no new additions since I left.

Oh I remember the 2005-2006 version! I used to go there a little bit.

Haha it is a really basic site. Damn

It looks worse there then it was since it had frames, the entire right frame with all the site content is missing.

You are the subject of all of my envy right now.

I appreciate that - was hesitant to start the thread cause I thought I'd get knocked down for trying to brag or something but really just wanted to share my experience.

tell Adie to fuck off is like tell mother mary to.. omg

that's so cool, do you keep some visual image can be shared?

gimme an idea maybe we can ask Andres has any personal contact with the band :ninja:

Adrienne would periodically ask me if I had questions for Billie and tell me to come up with some stuff to ask him and he'd reply with an email answering everything I asked - only spoke to him once when I met him in person.

Wow! :wub: Was he nice? I would give almost anything to meet Billie! I'd love to meet Adie too! She seems so sweet! You're so lucky! :D

In the spirit of Reddit and at the urging of a GDC member who thought it would be interesting for you guys, feel free to ask anything about my time running the biggest GD site on the net from 1995-1999

Some background - Started a site called 'Corner of Stuart and the Ave' on Geocities with the goal of making it the best GD site on the net, my main competition was GreenDay.com which at the time was fan run. Soon took over GreenDay.net and the site exploded in popularity. I communicated several times a week with Adrienne (and occasionally BJ) made the first official Adeline Records site at the request of BJ, once fucked up and posted a song I was sent that I thought was a leaked GD song but I was scammed - Rolling Stone referred to me as 'Net Nimrod' for that, received cool shit from the band - including merchandise (like the Sweet Children EP) and backstage passes, got in shit from GD's publicist because we always had the latest news before any media because Adrienne would leak it to me, etc etc

If anyone wants to ask about anything feel free, if the mods think this is a dumb idea go ahead and delete :-)

:shok:

They are still my favorite band, I love the new stuff - Uno was great to me because it reminded me of their earlier stuff that I fell in love with. I will admit though that 21 Century Breakdown was my least favorite album, I Was really happy the trilogy is more classic Green Day

Cool, lots of people share that view about 21st Century Breakdown. Thanks for sharing your unique experience :)

Archived