Used to run an officially endorsed Green Day site, ask me anything

JAS0N

In the spirit of Reddit and at the urging of a GDC member who thought it would be interesting for you guys, feel free to ask anything about my time running the biggest GD site on the net from 1995-1999

Some background - Started a site called 'Corner of Stuart and the Ave' on Geocities with the goal of making it the best GD site on the net, my main competition was GreenDay.com which at the time was fan run. Soon took over GreenDay.net and the site exploded in popularity. I communicated several times a week with Adrienne (and occasionally BJ) made the first official Adeline Records site at the request of BJ, once fucked up and posted a song I was sent that I thought was a leaked GD song but I was scammed - Rolling Stone referred to me as 'Net Nimrod' for that, received cool shit from the band - including merchandise (like the Sweet Children EP) and backstage passes, got in shit from GD's publicist because we always had the latest news before any media because Adrienne would leak it to me, etc etc

If anyone wants to ask about anything feel free, if the mods think this is a dumb idea go ahead and delete :-)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any questions right now, but that must have been pretty fucking awesome.

Wow! I remember Greenday.net!!! I used to go there all the time and read the articles... Is the site still current? Sorry I haven't been there for a while.

you lived most of the members of gdc's wildest dreams

It goes without saying, but I'd love to know more about your communications with Adrienne and BJ; are they about how you expected, or nothing like their public personas? 80 just seems like she'd be lovely :wub:

Wow! I remember Greenday.net!!! I used to go there all the time and read the articles... Is the site still current? Sorry I haven't been there for a while.

I no longer run it - sold it to a musicfanclubs.org for $5,000 many years ago, they still have it and it sucks terribly now.

Wow thats super cool! So Adrienne never minded taking up her personal life with it? What a sweetheart!

It goes without saying, but I'd love to know more about your communications with Adrienne and BJ; are they about how you expected, or nothing like their public personas? 80 just seems like she'd be lovely :wub:

Adrienne was great to deal with, she made the site what it was by slipping me all the unreleased info. She once asked if there was anything I wanted and I said the Sweet Children EP and she sent me that, several rare posters and guitar picks out of Billie's studio. Periodically she'd ask me to send questions for Billie and he'd write back. Before Nimrod was released it was noted that the lyrics for Platypus wouldn't be included with the cd, I asked why and he said "because of my potty mouth" and typed out the lyrics for the whole song, this was prior to it being released. He also faxed me the letter to a fan that you may have seen floating around before.

Wow thats super cool! So Adrienne never minded taking up her personal life with it? What a sweetheart!

No, she got in touch with me - I told her to fuck off - seriously. I figured it was some idiot messing around with me. She had someone for, Reprise verify to me it was her, so understandably I felt like a complete moron. She was great to deal with

Adrienne was great to deal with, she made the site what it was by slipping me all the unreleased info. She once asked if there was anything I wanted and I said the Sweet Children EP and she sent me that, several rare posters and guitar picks out of Billie's studio. Periodically she'd ask me to send questions for Billie and he'd write back. Before Nimrod was released it was noted that the lyrics for Platypus wouldn't be included with the cd, I asked why and he said "because of my potty mouth" and typed out the lyrics for the whole song, this was prior to it being released. He also faxed me the letter to a fan that you may have seen floating around before.

That's so cool, I always assumed the same person was still running greenday.net as had been running it then but I guess not. How did they first reach out to you, did they contact you through the site? Must have been mental

I'm going to ask what everyone else is thinking.

Did anyone ever send you n00dz?

Or maybe it was just me wondering that...

^Appropriate 1,000th post^

I'm going to ask what everyone else is thinking.

Did anyone ever send you n00dz?

Or maybe it was just me wondering that...

WTF? :lol:

How did you get involved with doing the site to begin with?

Worked my ass off making the site the best GD site on the web and then Andrew Clute who owned GreenDay.net offered to let me move the site there, it was crazy after that and soon Reprise and the band got in touch with me. I actually still have a note my mom left me - it said - "Call Jason White", at the time it wasn't cool but now I'm like damn Jason White actually called me lol

That's so cool, I always assumed the same person was still running greenday.net as had been running it then but I guess not. How did they first reach out to you, did they contact you through the site? Must have been mental

Adrienne started it - see post 11, I told her to fuck off :-)

No, she got in touch with me - I told her to fuck off - seriously. I figured it was some idiot messing around with me. She had someone for, Reprise verify to me it was her, so understandably I felt like a complete moron. She was great to deal with

Thats a good story to tell grandkids haha! So when you sold the website, did they get the connections too? Or did they just fizzle out between everyone?

Adrienne started it - see post 11, I told her to fuck off :-)

oh my god you douche! crushing our little adriennes soul! :lol:

Thats a good story to tell grandkids haha! So when you sold the website, did they get the connections too? Or did they just fizzle out between everyone?

No they got nothing but the site and domain - I started up GreenDayWeb.com after that and everyone followed me over there but due to the popularity I couldn't afford the costs on my own as a college student so the site died.

Any fun backstage story meeting Billie and Adie you'd like to share?

I had backstage passes 3 times (Edgefest, Warped Tour and a small club show in Toronto) . At Edgefest I couldn't find them, at Warped Tour I found Billie and got his autograph but I didn't tell him who I was cause I got nervous haha, Adrienne gave me shit after and said he really wanted to meet me. At the Toronto show they destroyed the stage and staff wouldn't allow anyone backstage after.

I had backstage passes 3 times (Edgefest, Warped Tour and a small club show in Toronto) . At Edgefest I couldn't find them, at Warped Tour I found Billie and got his autograph but I didn't tell him who I was cause I got nervous haha, Adrienne gave me shit after and said he really wanted to meet me. At the Toronto show they destroyed the stage and staff wouldn't allow anyone backstage after.

After all your communication with them, you bailed! :lol:

When did you talk to Adie last?

that's really cool. oh my god geocities LOL.

Very cool.

Do you have any screenshots of the old website design? I'd love to see what was "cool" back then :P

Obviously you must have been a huge fan of the band back then. Are you still a fan of their newest material?

Archived