Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Year abroad

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,196 rep
Have you already been abroad for a year or a few months or are you planning to do so? Where have you been, where would you like to spend a longer time? What have you done? Au Pair, studies, work & travel? Do you think an experience like that is important for your CV?

Share your thoughts. :)

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,294 rep
I have the option of adding an extra year to my degree next year by going abroad. I'd love to do it but I don't think I'll be able to afford it =/ And we've been told that there aren't a lot of law modules that we can take so that seems a bit silly.
But I could go to Valencia and try learn Spanish :( And the lecturer who gives presentations to students about it never shuts up about what a great opportunity it is and how great it looks on your CV/resume. To which I think "yeah sure, if you have the money :dry: "

Rianne

Rianne
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Joined May 09, 2010
  • 524 rep
Last year, I spent 3 months in Cambodia as a volunteer (teaching English at a school in the slums). It was a great experience. You discover more about the country and the culture this way, and you actually make a difference in the lives of people. I also did a culture project in my first month, which took me all around the country, including rural villages where tourists don't come. A usual thought of mine was "if I tell this at home, they're never going to believe me...". From a tuktuk-ride where everyone drank beer (including the driver), to one of my 5-year-old students burping the alphabet. From feeding an elephant to eating a tarantula while I'm arachnofobic. From driving an old army jeep near the temples to a 'tour' in the area of my school, where I saw very very very poor people.
I could talk about this for ages, but I'll keep it short haha. It was an awesome experience.

And I'm currently preparing to go to the USA for a year, as an au pair. I already got a host family in Philadelphia, and I'll go there in January.

These experiences might look good on my CV, but that's not why I'm going. I'm going because I want to go, for the experiences. To explore the world a little more. Now is the time for me to do it, cause I graduated uni in 2011. I haven't started a decent career yet, because I want those adventures.

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,264 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,642 rep
I would love to go abroad and do an internship, but it's almost impossible as it seems. I would need a paid position, because otherwise I couldn't afford it... and well, who pays an intern? I still hope I can somehow make it work, I'd love to go to the UK or Ireland. A warm country would be nice too, but I don't know where I'd like to go.

Anja

Anja
  • We are what we believe!

• 13,319 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 1,371 rep
I spent a year abroad in Oakland four years ago to do both an internship and visit a language school to improve my English.
And then I spent a year abroad last year/this year in Granada, Spain as part of my studies. If it's important for my CV? Definitely! That's why I went abroad in the first place because I thought it would help get a job or whatever but nope... But it was still the best time of my life ever and has taught me a lot about myself and the world.
I do think though that Spain might help me and make a good impression as I went to what they say is the best university of the country. I would argue with that but I'd be stupid if I did :lol:

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 1,993 rep
I'm kinda dreaming of doing an exchange year in the US for a year now, y'know...the typical stereotype. But looks like my parents aren't willing to pay that much (Seriously.. the prices are insane. Can't get a scholarship as well since my grades aren't good enough, neither I'm socially dedicated. Oh well. ) , so thinking of going to an European country since that's a lot cheaper, and that way I'm at least gonna learn to speak another language fluently. Let's see what happens in a year, guess that's the time to apply for it if I wanna go 2014/15, right?

Poprocks_and_Coke

Poprocks_and_Coke
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined Jan 20, 2011
  • 188 rep
It's my dream to go to California for half a year. Friends of my parents, who are wonderful people, are living over there. :) And one of them is working at a high school near San Francisco. I've asked her via Facebook if she knows some people who would want to be my exchange family. And there was no reply for about half a year. And then suddenly my mum gets an email where she's telling me that I could live at their house and go to the high school where she's working. It would be so great if that would work for next summer. <3

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,533 rep
Thinking about doing a year in Budapest (in an English university), for my final bachelor year, but I'm not sure... I've got time to think about it anyway, aha.

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep
I was going to spend a year teaching English in Kazakhstan but I got into a decent uni so I really couldn't be bothered. :happy:

Katarina.

Katarina.
  • Wanderlust

• 25,676 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2007
  • 3,064 rep
Ever since I started thinking about what to study after I'd graduate high school, I wanted to experience studying a year or semester abroad. I really want to travel anyway, to places like Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, Canada and the US. Right now I'm thinking of quitting my current study and going to another uni next year to study something else. If it all works out there's a possibility to study abroad. The uni has good connections with London, Edinburgh and Dublin and more, but I'd especially love to go to any of those cities. Not only would I get points for my study, but it'd look good on my CV and I'd love to combine it with sight seeing and other things not related to uni work. I hope I can realize (one of) my dreams one day.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Resident Tree Hugger

• 16,406 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,305 rep
I have the option to go abroad for a semester of my junior year in college. I'm thinking I'm gonna go to Germany.

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth

• 4,006 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 1,993 rep

I have the option to go abroad for a semester of my junior year in college. I'm thinking I'm gonna go to Germany.

Na dann viel Spaß mit der Sprache... :P

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

Na dann viel Spaß mit der Sprache... http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Deutsche Sprache ist ganz cool ;)

I'm thinking about spending one semester abroad under the Erasmusm. I'm gonna go to German or UK. I'm not quite sure about the country, but I want to do it in 4th or 5th semester.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Resident Tree Hugger

• 16,406 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,305 rep

Na dann viel Spaß mit der Sprache... http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Wut :lol:

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 13,834 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,654 rep
I saw this post on tumblr the other day that irritated the fuck out of me. It was like 'people NEED to take a gap year to see the world because let's face it, you don't know who you are or what you really want at 18' which oh god fuck right off. But anyway yeah, it depends on who you are. I'm not taking one, but that's just me.

Advertising

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Resident Tree Hugger

• 16,406 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,305 rep
I've decided I will be studying abroad in Berlin, Germany one of my semesters. Is fall or spring prettier in Germany? I'll be there half of winter either way :lol: I'm also going to need to take German as a language requirement, so if anyone could help me with that, I will love you forever.

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth

• 4,006 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 1,993 rep

I've decided I will be studying abroad in Berlin, Germany one of my semesters. Is fall or spring prettier in Germany? I'll be there half of winter either way http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... I'm also going to need to take German as a language requirement, so if anyone could help me with that, I will love you forever.

Berlin? :woot: Good choice. It's so huge, beautiful, cool.... :wub: I vacationed there this year and it was simply awesome! Totally thinking of studying in Berlin though that's on the other side of the country. I don't know where you live... I'd say it's pretty much the same as in America except we don't get shit like hurricanes etc etc.

Mary711

Mary711

• 8,267 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,196 rep
So interesting to hear about all your different views and experiences on it! Personally, I'm making plans for next year right now.

I've decided I will be studying abroad in Berlin, Germany one of my semesters. Is fall or spring prettier in Germany? I'll be there half of winter either way http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... I'm also going to need to take German as a language requirement, so if anyone could help me with that, I will love you forever.

That really depends on the weather.

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 8,978 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 951 rep
I did a year abroad in France, would have loved to go somewhere more exciting seeing as I go to France all the time but seeing as I study French it was compulsory. I disagree with people saying it's expensive though, if you do an Erasmus exchange you get about £3000 for the 9 months, and as a student in France the government gives you quite a lot of money too. Really it just depends where you go I guess.

I would love to go abroad and do an internship, but it's almost impossible as it seems. I would need a paid position, because otherwise I couldn't afford it... and well, who pays an intern? I still hope I can somehow make it work, I'd love to go to the UK or Ireland. A warm country would be nice too, but I don't know where I'd like to go.

Most internships in the UK are payed, not brilliant wages but enough to live off.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,148 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 4,730 rep
I had a couple of months in Australia during my gap yeah. That was pretty darn cool.

San Miguel

San Miguel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 371 rep
The most i've done is a month in the Maldives teaching English as a volunteer - it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I love to travel so moving from country to country for a year would be awesome, if i could afford to quit my job etc!!

*dry_ice*

*dry_ice*
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Joined Dec 13, 2011
  • 74 rep
I've been only for a few weeks studying in Spain for a little intensive erasmus project...
that has been the best experience of my five years at the university, I felt so stupid because I didn't wanted to do a longer erasmus experience before, when I had the possibility...
I don't know if it's important for the CV, but here in Italy also the university isn't considered so much for having a job :S

Anja

Anja

• 13,319 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

I did a year abroad in France, would have loved to go somewhere more exciting seeing as I go to France all the time but seeing as I study French it was compulsory. I disagree with people saying it's expensive though, if you do an Erasmus exchange you get about £3000 for the 9 months, and as a student in France the government gives you quite a lot of money too. Really it just depends where you go I guess.

I "only" got about 1000 Euros for 10 months. I don't get how they decide about that money because while I got 130€/month, a friend who went to Belgium at the same time as I was in Spain, she got 300/€. Quite unfair.

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 8,978 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 951 rep

I "only" got about 1000 Euros for 10 months. I don't get how they decide about that money because while I got 130€/month, a friend who went to Belgium at the same time as I was in Spain, she got 300/€. Quite unfair.

Strange. It might depend on the university which you're from and how many people are going abroad, seeing as they get allocated a certain amount and just divide it out. We ended up getting a small 'bonus' at the end cause they had some left over.

Anja

Anja

• 13,319 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

Strange. It might depend on the university which you're from and how many people are going abroad, seeing as they get allocated a certain amount and just divide it out. We ended up getting a small 'bonus' at the end cause they had some left over.

I did too. I got 700€ over the course of 10 months and then 300€ a couple of months later cause they still had some left.
Hmm, maybe. Might also have to do with where you're going to since some countries are more expensive and some less. I have no idea.

westendriot

westendriot
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Joined Oct 30, 2006
  • 534 rep
I'm going to study abroad in Copenhagen next semester. I just booked flights and everything so it feels really official now haha. I'm going through DIS and I'm going to be in their Medical Practice & Policy program. I looked forever for a program that was relevant to what I'm studying and I was so thrilled when I finally found one geared toward pre-med students.

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,406 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 779 rep
^
I hope you'll enjoy Copenhagen. :)

I was planning to, but my grades aren't good enough.

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,264 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,642 rep

Most internships in the UK are payed, not brilliant wages but enough to live off.

I've searched for an internship in the UK for months and all I could find was some weird organisation that employs people in their so called "HR" department only to look for new interns. I thought it was a bit weird. Maybe it's easier to find a job when you're actually living in the country, but I thought it was extremely difficult. Plus, most of the time, they wanted somebody for at least 3 months and I only had a little more than 2 months holiday, so... =/ Maybe after I'm done with my bachelor.

Mary711

Mary711

• 8,267 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,196 rep
I sent out a first application for being an Au Pair today.

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,207 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,728 rep
Oh gosh, I just found the Masters course I was looking for... I am so happy I found it! It's in the University of Dundee in Scotland! Right now I'm just over the moon, 'cause I was looking for a course like this (Medical Art) which combines Art and my current course (Biomedical Sciences) for a long time, and I didn't find anything around here so I was getting a little bit depressed.

:dance:
SO YAY, I'm going to study in the UK! It's going to be so cold, but I will get used to it (hopefully) :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users