!Dos Reviews

Alfie

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the leak was posted last night i haven't seen any reviews for DOS, so i thought that i would give it a shot!

See You Tonight: As an opener for an album starts off nice! A nice little acoustic demo warmup into a killer album with some soothing vocals and a nice sounding guitar!

It's Fuck Time: I think we can all agree this is a song we have looked forward to! A slow buildup into a song which just makes you want to dance! with the crashing cymbals and the really nice drums by tre. Billie continues on with his crazy solos throughout all the songs but the solo reminds me of the solo from My Chemical Romance's 'Teenagers'

Stop When The Red Lights Flash: We all heard this on CSI and Need for Speed so it isn't really a completely new song, but i love it! A nice buildup with the snare drum into an awesome guitar riff again!

Lazy Bones: Lazy bones sounds really nice as a song midway through the album. I noticed after several listens that the chords and strumming sounds similar to Give Me Novacaine. My theory for the song is about Billie Joe and his life (after his past and the recent events) but a great song!

Wild One: A Semi-slow song, Wild one really shows how Green day can turn Something so similar into a real piece of work and something to be proud of! I really like the guitars in it and although the bass isn't as prominent it is really good bass work!

Makeout Party: Makeout Party has a really nice Bass work by Mike, and as a drummer i really like the use of Tre's drumming! Great guitar work by Billie and a really cool solo done by him! Stray Heart: I was actually really impressed by the Live version, and although i'm not a big fan of the Studio version i still really like the bass work! The chorus gets me really happy and its a really upbeat song which makes you want to dance!

Ashley: Kind of the same song as Makeout Party, with a hard guitar and drum sound in it, a really nice song on the album!

Baby Eyes: As i didnt hear anything about this song before the album release i thought this would a slow soft song (Cause of the word Baby) but i was surprised for a heavy track!

Lady Cobra: A Real nice track with heavy drums, find of reminds me of 'Loss of Control', it is an awesome track near a closing, as its showing getting into the party and a really get-up track!

Nightlife: I was actually REALLY surprised! i thought that i wouldn't like this song as it's a different track compared to the 'usual' Green Day, but now that i have listened to the full song i really like it! Great song with a prominent bass line, a real good song for a party and real catchy!

Wow! Thats Loud!: I heard this song first live and i didn't think that it was the best of songs and i wouldn't enjoy it, but it is actually a real nice song! I don't particularly enjoy the opening guitar riff which is repeated

Amy: A really nice ballad track for the late Amy Winehouse,this track is a real nice wind down from the Album and a nice starter for Tre!

Hope everyone else enjoys Dos!!

See You Tonight 2.5/5 Kind of boring and weird. Not a great intro.

Fuck Time: 4/5 Catchy as fuck, funny as well.

Stop When The Red Lights Flash: 4/5 Really catchy, and great guitar, little bit boring in some parts

Lazy Bones: 4/5 Really good, catchy, great lyrics, good music.

Wild One: 3/5 Long, slow and boring at the start, bizzarely catchy in the middle.

Makeout Party: 3/5 This is one catchy motherfucker, lyrics are alright, but a bit young for Green Day though, I really love the solo and bass solo part, the bass bit sounds like something out of one of the early Crash Bandicoot games.

Stray Heart : 4.5/5 Very nice, Catchy, good lyrics, great ending.

Ashley: 5/5 Where its at, Catchy and great lyrics. Really good song.

Baby Eyes: 4/5 Catchy as fuck once again, good lyrics as well, bit short.

Lady Cobra: 5/5 Really nice song here, catchy as fuck, good lyrics.

Nightlife: 2/5 The chorus is great I don't really like Lady Cobras bit, not cause I don't like rap, I do, but she just seems like a massive slut.

Wow! That's Loud: 5/5 Amazing Riff, Great solo, good lyrics and very catchy, is now my favorite song on the album

Amy: 2/5 A real big Pshhhhh right here.

I am extremely happy about this record, to say the very least.

See You Tonight: Unexpected treat, great way to start off the auditory fellatio. This is what Simon & Garfunkel playing at CBGB would sound like.

Fuck Time: Anthemic. Epic. Perfectly executed. Bestsongonthealbumbestgreendaysong

Stop When the Red Lights Flash: Another great song. Exciting intro, powerful riff. "I'll make you surrender" has been lingering in my head for days.

Lazy Bones: Yes, it reminds me of Novacaine; that's not a bad thing at all. It's hookier than Vice City, and it's a nice departure from the hedonistic theme of the album.

Wild One: A bit slow, but JUST LISTEN TO THOSE BACKUP VOCALS

Makeout Party: Dirty, wet and full of great lyrics, just like Shakespeare in a strip club. A favorite of mine.

Stray Heart: Sounds like a jingly, uplifting Christmas song to me. The chorus is the best one on the album. Sing this one at the top of your lungs and dance flamboyantly, you feel awesome.

Ashley: Sometimes, even the filler on an album is enjoyable.

Baby Eyes: Catchy and short, in typical Green Day fashion.

LADY COBRA: OH MAN DO I LOVE THE EVERLOVING FUCK OUT OF THIS SONG

Nightlife: Three years ago, I would've detested this song passionately. I enjoy it a lot. This sounds like it would be from the same band that Kill the DJ was trying to sound like.

Wow! That's Loud: Best song title on the album. The opening riff sounds like it was made on GarageBand, it gets extremely annoying. The rest of the song is heavenly.

Amy: This is beautiful. One of BJ's crown jewels. "Amy don't you go, I want you around" sounds like All I've Got to Do by The Beatles.

Well, I posted this in the Dos thread, so it may as well go here too. I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of in depth reviews (or reviews at all for that matter) that Dos is getting from people outside of GDC. For some reason, i'm kind of obsessed with reviews, and list rankings, like what Rolling Stone has (ex. 500 Best Albums). Frankly, I don't have a lot of money to spend, so if i do dare to use up some of my treasured cash, it's only on something that good great reviews. That being said, i'm pretty bias considering that i'd buy any music put out by Green Day, even if it was utter shit somehow. Anyways, here's my review.

Well, being the weak, pathetic soul I am, i broke down and downloaded it. I've decided that after I listen to each singular track, i'll write my first impressions on them. Here goes nothing.

See You Tonight- If only this song was longer. The guitar is very early bob dylan, and the vocal effects leave a very simon and garfunkel taste, which for a folk lover, is pretty fucking cool. Very Calm, serene opening track to what is going to be a hell raising album.

Fuck Time- This song pretty much sounds like what you would expect it so sound like as studio produced. of course, i like many others will always have a special place in their hearts for the live version, because his voice shows more emotion, and i just frankly prefer raw vocals. that being said though, the guitar sounds fantastic, as does the solo. the laughing and moaning does add to the song, although it can be rather...creepy? ;)

Stop When the Red Lights Flash- This song has so much potential, especially that riff. GOD I CAN'T STOP SAYING I'LL MAKE YOU SURRENDER. The fact that this song is over repetitive is outweighed by how short and catchy it is. The song would've been 100x better in my opinion if raw vocals were used, like on nimrod. however, that hasn't exactly happened since AI, so i'll live.

Lazy Bones- ABSOLUTE FAVORITE SONG OFF OF DOS, HANDS DOWN. The lyrics are so relatable to anyone who's feeling a bit irritable, which is basically me 24/7, being the angsty, horomonal teenager i am. the best part THERE IS NONE. I can't decide between mike's backing vocals (i assume it's him), the drums in the beginning, or the strokes like guitar tone, OOH or the stop...yeah, i don't know. it's just amazing, ok.

Wild One- I honestly don't understand why so many people don't like this song. It's so..relaxing. Billie's vocals are exceptional in this, and i love the delayed, trippy guitar feel. the solo is also one to note. maybe it could've been better if it was a little shorter, who knows. i personally like it at it's current length.

Makeout Party- Wow. Well, i'll get the small bit of criticism out of my system first. The lyric are a bit juvenile, something that NME did touch on, and I kind of see what they mean by so. But then again, that's kind of the whole point of the album, so that aside, HOLY FUCK. You can tell that Billie, Mike, and Tre are really getting better and better at their craft. Billie's solo feels so on spot, which is something that's appealing to me. Mike's bassline speaks for itself, but the hidden gem here is Tre.

Stray Heart- This song feels kind of out of place after makeout party to me. After some intense action, it's kind of weird to go from "FUCK ME NOW" to an almost "I want to hold your hand feel". It's like a transition from FBHT to the Beatles. That being said though, it is a pretty generic bassline, but it's a damn good bassline. I've already heard this song a bunch, so it's a pretty obvious thumbs up for me.

Ashley- Hm, like someone said earlier, this does resemble kind of a Saint Jimmy b-side, because it's lacking in the lyrical depth that SJ has. This is a fucking great song to mosh to though. It leans towards filler, but it's fun filler, y'know? It really does give off the vibe that was being paired with dos. (the backing vocals for thi song is really peculiar, it sounds like someone's imitating how the adults sound in charlie brown. i don't know, it jut stuck out to me, ahaha).

Baby Eyes- This song sounds very American Idiot, with the guitar tone. Like Ashley, it's another fast song that's fun, but not something remarkable. Something that did kind of catch me off gaurd was when he said I was born to....kill. i thought it was going to be born to love you or something. whoops.

Lady Cobra- Love, love, love. This is another really fun song that again, doesn't have a ton of lyrical depth, but that's not what they were aiming for. I think the drums are the key formula for this song, it's so addicting, and of course the guitar riff that won't leave my head. WAHWAHAHWAHWAHWAAHHHH.

Nightlife- This song is trippy, weird, and awesome- before lady cobra comes in. Something about her is unmistakingly cringe worthy. I think for me she comes across as a Ke$ha wannabe- sleazy, cheesy, and a horrible excuse for a rapper. I applaud them for trying to expand their horizons, and in all honesty, it was a pretty good idea. if they got an someone better to do her job, it would've been sooo much better. The bassline is the only real thumbs up for this song.

Wow! That's Loud- This may be one of my favorites off of dos. Ever since i heard that crappy live version from a few years ago, i've been in love with it. I's definitely advanced musically. Even I, being the avid lyric stickler (as shown in earlier songs) I will not like a song even if it has a great instrumental part, because of stupid lyrics. This song may not have the deepest meaning ever, but fuck it. That guitar solo, the bass solo, the drums, vocals...take me my dark lord.

Amy- This is one of my favorite green day ballads, especially because wait...IT HAS A REAL MEANING! Yay. It's such a heartfelt, real song. Billie displays his sorrow and guilt over Amy, saying how if she was still here he'd love to get to know her lost soul, and you can feel it in his voice, his passion is evident. Love the guitar- i think this song is a great ending for dos, because it kind of backs away from the sexual tension and whatnot to contemplate something his soul feels. Or...something along those lines.

Overall, SO much better than uno, which i listened to about twice and grew tired of. I can tell that songs like Lazy Bones and Amy are going to be perminant additions to green day's ever-expanding catalog. I'll give it a 8/10, comparing to what i thought of uno as a 6. just wait, tre is going to be the show stopper.

I think track by track reviews don't do this album justice. After all songs like see you tonight or baby eyes nightlife and Amy don't really stand so well on their own but they do show experimentalism and solid musical ability. To me green day isn't as much about track by track songs anymore as entire album concepts. I think that's why 21st century breakdown didn't do so well. The album was great in total but not necessarily in standalone tracks. I feel the same way about dos. As a whole it's a great accomplishment but not necessarily an album that can spawn singles.

how much did NME give dos?

I don't think there has been an official review. Only a track-by-track review.

Review of ¡Dos! from Rolling Stone Australia. (I don't have access to a scanner at the moment, so I'll type it)

"3 & A Half Stars...

The fact that it takes less than two minutes for Green Day's 10th studio album, and their second release of 2012, to unveil the worst song in this group's stellar history is not a promising sign. With it's throwaway rockabilly roll, "Fuck Time" is not so much "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" as a cul-de-sac of daft ideas. Fortunately "¡Dos!'s" relentless smash-and-grab of musical styles - from Sixties-tinged rock to soaring melodies - showcase a band from whom fine songs seem to explode. Best of all, with the perfectly judged "Amy" (A tribute to the late Amy Winehouse) Green Day sign off this most ebullient album with a note of deftly handled compassion & humanity.

Key Tracks : See You Tonight, Amy & Lazy Bones"

It's pretty short but I thought I'd post it anyway :)

How can you argue that See You Tonight is a key track? :lol: I like it, I wish it was longer, but...

The fact that it takes less than two minutes for Green Day's 10th studio album, and their second release of 2012, to unveil the worst song in this group's stellar history is not a promising sign.

I can think of a few Green Day songs they haven't heard.

No way, to outsiders, Fuck Time is definitely a ridiculous track. We know the history behind it but non fans will be baffled I'm sure.

I don't get why everybody is labelling Fuck Time as 'the worst song ever'. It's fucking awesome. Just because the lyrics are almost meaningless doesn't make it a horrible track. I guarantee that if the track wasn't called Fuck Time, people wouldn't be so harsh on it.

Edit: Liking "The Empire Strikes Back of garage punk-rock revival records".

I don't get why everybody is labelling Fuck Time as 'the worst song ever'. It's fucking awesome. Just because the lyrics are almost meaningless doesn't make it a horrible track. I guarantee that if the track wasn't called Fuck Time, people wouldn't be so harsh on it.

what. has anyone said that?

I LOVE Fuck Time. it's fucking amazing :o

what. has anyone said that?

I LOVE Fuck Time. it's fucking amazing :o

It's said it in at least 2 critic reviews. NME seem to hate it.

It's said it in at least 2 critic reviews. NME seem to hate it.

uhm okay. well, i think it's awesome anyway x)

Fuck Time is supposed to be a fun song, about sex.It was'nt meant to be a Boulevard of broken dreaks or good riddiance or wake me up when september ends or 21 guns or the forgotten.These songs were themed to be serious.Fuck Time was themed to be enjoyed and not giving a fuck about how it is.It's supposed to a song that can song really good live, and it does!!The progressions are cool too.So stop complaining!!

People who think Nightlife is the worst song of the album, guess what, no critic has anything against it so far.And it's anyday better than the hip hop shit that goes on on the radio these days.

PS-Lady cobra has an incredible voice.

Fuck Time is supposed to be a fun song, about sex.It was'nt meant to be a Boulevard of broken dreaks or good riddiance or wake me up when september ends or 21 guns or the forgotten.These songs were themed to be serious.Fuck Time was themed to be enjoyed and not giving a fuck about how it is.It's supposed to a song that can song really good live, and it does!!The progressions are cool too.So stop complaining!!

People who think Nightlife is the worst song of the album, guess what, no critic has anything against it so far.And it's anyday better than the hip hop shit that goes on on the radio these days.

PS-Lady cobra has an incredible voice.

NME said that it had a "super lame" rap part on it. Nightlife is the only real dud for me on the album.

Is it the worst thing they ever wrote? No. That award goes to "Take Back" or "King For a Day" on Nimrod.

Edit: Liking "The Empire Strikes Back of garage punk-rock revival records".

Its not just the lyrics, its the whole production and sound of it. Its not an album worthy track, King For a Day was album worthy because it was just so random, and it fit the lyrics. Fuck Time just seemed obnoxious, the guitar riff is generic (sounds like Troublemaker), its throwaway. It was written as a Foxboro song, not a Green Day song. Foxboro is a side project, so they won't bother putting a lot of time into writing songs for that, because it's a side project, nothing major. It could have just been a live song, and iDos! would haven't suffered too much, in fact it would probably benefit. I think SWTRLF would introduce the overall sound of the album much more smoothly, mainly because of the intro. Fuck Time and Nighlife both could possibly drag this record down a lot, because they're bad songs in general. If you like them then that's fie, but they're bad. Like how all the Scary Movie spinoffs are bad, but people still like them even though they ARE bad.

Archived