!Dos Reviews

Alfie

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dismiss all the reviews that have personal stories to it (whether a positive one or not)

"I mean, life happens right? Over the course of two decades people undoubtedly grow up, and their influences and inspirations shift. So logically, Billie Joe and company should in no way be expected to approach life (and consequent songwriting) in the same manner at 40 years of age as they did in their 20s. I mean seriously, think back to what monopolized your time in 1994. Are you spending your days doing the same thing now? If so, you should probably stop reading this review and Google “life coach.”"

- underthegunreview

That was before even the review was began. Whole introductory paragraph was how shitty the band is and one is going to obviously look for flaws before any objectivity in criticizing the album. What matters is the music, not personal stories of the band. Though there is no doubt that music carries essence of who the band is, nevertheless, criticising music should stay in music not land in somewhere else how this lyrics does not match his lifestyle now and shits like that.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/green-day-dos/2922

This gave Dos 6/10, though I would argue that the album at least deserves 7 (because it is meaningless but nonetheless fun) but at least this one tries to stay in music. The last comment was abit sketchy "should've been edited into one strong album rather than spread out over multiple releases just for the sake of making a pun on drummer Tré Cool's name" but whatever.

It is like asking some Green Day fans to analyze Green Day music, they will give at least 8.5 to worst albums, but asking Green Day haters to analyze the album would be exact opposite of that.

I'm kind of surprised at the reactions to the album. =/ I can think a Green Day song's shit, I can acknowledge when they're being twats, I can be disappointed by them. But I really do think this album is full of brilliant songs.

Some of the reviews are just shit writers being shit, seeing as that's what journalism is these days, but still. What a shame.

Critics hated Warning, most fans love it. Reviews are pointless.

Critics didn't hate Warning. It received better reception than 21st CB.

I dismiss all the reviews that have personal stories to it (whether a positive one or not)

"I mean, life happens right? Over the course of two decades people undoubtedly grow up, and their influences and inspirations shift. So logically, Billie Joe and company should in no way be expected to approach life (and consequent songwriting) in the same manner at 40 years of age as they did in their 20s. I mean seriously, think back to what monopolized your time in 1994. Are you spending your days doing the same thing now? If so, you should probably stop reading this review and Google “life coach.”"

- underthegunreview

That was before even the review was began. Whole introductory paragraph was how shitty the band is and one is going to obviously look for flaws before any objectivity in criticizing the album. What matters is the music, not personal stories of the band. Though there is no doubt that music carries essence of who the band is, nevertheless, criticising music should stay in music not land in somewhere else how this lyrics does not match his lifestyle now and shits like that.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/green-day-dos/2922

This gave Dos 6/10, though I would argue that the album at least deserves 7 (because it is meaningless but nonetheless fun) but at least this one tries to stay in music. The last comment was abit sketchy "should've been edited into one strong album rather than spread out over multiple releases just for the sake of making a pun on drummer Tré Cool's name" but whatever.

It is like asking some Green Day fans to analyze Green Day music, they will give at least 8.5 to worst albums, but asking Green Day haters to analyze the album would be exact opposite of that.

A 7 just for being fun? The Transformer movies are fun, but does that mean they're high quality movies? And I see numerous people overrating this album here. 9s and 10s galore, that's masterpiece territory. I guarantee that if you ask anyone who is not a Green Day fanatic or blinded by GD (and everyone here who rates these songs and albums so highly claim to not be, but it's obvious many are) they'll most likely say the album is either ok-good (6-7, maybe an 8) or bad-average (3-5).

I don't even get why sputnikmusic reviews half of the albums they do. It is clear by looking at their staff picks, and really just the general consensus of the userbase, that all they listen to is underground/indie music and that very few bands in the mainstream get a good review and if they do, it's usually "eh it's ok I GUESS for a big mainstream band."

Warning only had 19 reviews on Metacritic. 21stCB had 30. If they had 30 reviews for Warning in their databse it would be more around 65... You see, some more people wouldn't like it as much, making the average score lower. :)

And just look at all the awards that Breakdown got.

So no, Warning got lower scores than Breakdown.

Warning only had 19 reviews on Metacritic. 21stCB had 30. If they had 30 reviews for Warning in their databse it would be more around 65... You see, some more people wouldn't like it as much, making the average score lower. :)/>

And just look at all the awards that Breakdown got.

So no, Warning got lower scores than Breakdown.

Awards don't have an correlation to the critical reception of the album, those have more to do with popularity. And yes, critical reception of Warning is more positive than 21st CB, there have been numerous rewritten reviews, and just the attitude towards it by non GD fans is a lot more popular than 21st CB.

Awards don't have an correlation to the critical reception of the album, those have more to do with popularity. And yes, critical reception of Warning is more positive than 21st CB, there have been numerous rewritten reviews, and just the attitude towards it by non GD fans is a lot more popular than 21st CB.

I wouldn't agree on that.

im a lil surprised at the stream of less than favorable reviews I mean who else is putting music out like this? but being a green day fan I gotta expect people critiquing it no matter how harsh cant stop it just gotta deal with it..no matter how differently I feel

im a lil surprised at the stream of less than favorable reviews I mean who else is putting music out like this? but being a green day fan I gotta expect people critiquing it no matter how harsh cant stop it just gotta deal with it..no matter how differently I feel

I'm sure there are a lot of artists putting music out like this.

The Black Keys pull off the whole garage rock thing a lot better IMO.

Because it sounds geniune, while still being unique and not sacrificing song quality.

I wouldn't agree on that.

Go anywhere on the internet, any non Green Day forum. People will say they prefer Warning over 21st CB, and I guranatee you a lot of critics would too.

It isn't as critically panned an album as lot of people here say it is.

Same as people that say NME hate GD, I wouldn't call a 6/10 hate, id call it reasonable. Much rather something be underrated than overrated, though a 6 to a 7 sounds about right.

I'm sure there are a lot of artists putting music out like this.

The Black Keys pull off the whole garage rock thing a lot better IMO.

Because it sounds geniune, while still being unique and not sacrificing song quality.

Go anywhere on the internet, any non Green Day forum. People will say they prefer Warning over 21st CB, and I guranatee you a lot of critics would too.

It isn't as critically panned an album as lot of people here say it is.

Same as people that say NME hate GD, I wouldn't call a 6/10 hate, id call it reasonable. Much rather something be underrated than overrated, though a 6 to a 7 sounds about right.

you're a towel

you're a towel

That's constructive discussion if ever I've seen it.

WWTS is right. Warning was not as critically-panned as we believe it to be. I remember seeing lots of places call it Green Day's weakest effort to date, but I don't recall all that many just saying that it outright sucked. A lot of the Warning hate came later on, post-AI, when people like me actually listened to it for the first time and said, "That's really the same band that wrote American Idiot? Wow...and not in a good way 'wow'...".

you're a towel

I don't absorb liquids. I am a liquid. I am not one that you can manipulate. Don't get comfy, because I won't keep this shape. Molecules disperse every which way.

Seriously though, I'm not a towel.

I don't absorb liquids. I am a liquid. I am not one that you can manipulate. Don't get comfy, because I won't keep this shape. Molecules disperse every which way.

Seriously though, I'm not a towel.

Pics or its not true..sorry for taking this off topic! Back on topic! well im using a towel to soak up my tears whilst i read reviews for dos...

Pics or its not true..sorry for taking this off topic! Back on topic! well im using a towel to soak up my tears whilst i read reviews for dos...

How the fuck am I going to take pics in a liquid form? I can type right now because I'm currently a solid, but as a liquid I wouldn't be able to take the picture.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkb0vpBKxC1qaqhgw.png

Archived