!Dos Reviews

Alfie

I'm not going to just music sites, but to blogs and forums, and non professional critic reviews. I've seen just as many people say iUno! was better than I have seen people say iDos! is, so it's going to be around the same response. And you do realize that its the job of a critic to analyze every part of an album right? And to an

extent the people who don't listen to the album in a passive way, or let the name of the artist that is making the album affect their opinion. If you're going to write a review like a lot of people here have, you have to analyze the album in order to do a proper, informal review. There's more to music than just being "catchy". And I'm getting tired of people saying to not be as critical to these records as much as AI or 21st CB. Why not? Its the same band, these albums aren't coming from a side project. They should put as much work into each album as they can. This isn't a triple album, these are 3 SEPERATE albums. Each album will be judged on its own merits, whether it's strong enough to stand on its own or not.

Because there is no reason too. No story. No statement. It's just a very fun set of albums. I completely understand the critics dissecting these albums, it's their job. But some fans are reading WAY too much into the trilogy. I think this is what Green Day wanted to get away from. Billie said he felt a lot of pressure recording 21st Century Breakdown because he felt like he needed to top American Idiot. I think this trilogy is sort of a release of suppressed "dontgiveafuckery" if I may invent a word. People who say "Fuck Time" is stupid are obviously missing the point. I just think some fans are taking these albums a bit too seriously.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because there is no reason too. No story. No statement. It's just a very fun set of albums. I completely understand the critics dissecting these albums, it's their job. But some fans are reading WAY too much into the trilogy. I think this is what Green Day wanted to get away from. Billie said he felt a lot of pressure recording 21st Century Breakdown because he felt like he needed to top American Idiot. I think this trilogy is sort of a release of suppressed "dontgiveafuckery" if I may invent a word. People who say "Fuck Time" is stupid are obviously missing the point. I just think some fans are taking these albums a bit too seriously.

You. I must hug you.

People are talking about marketing for a band like they've done it before...you're just some person on a fan site with no experience in that field..Ive said it once ill say it again im very picky and my music choices are usually eclectic but for me every song so far from both uno and dos are killer i love dos a lot more its perfect for me uno met my expectations too..I feel like im the only one who likes it all..I cant be though..

You're not the only one :D Mike was right when he said they're at a creative high point, the only tracks from the trilogy so far I would consider filler are Carpe Diem and Stop When the Red Lights Flash. Not that they're bad songs, but they're the only ones that don't have a kind of spark to them, like they don't jump out as much as the rest. Each song has a little thing about it that makes it great, such as the screams in Makeout Party, the backing vocals in Stay the Night, little things like that.

If they didn't want these albums to be taken seriously, then they should have released them on a side project, not the main band. People wait years for these albums, they're going to be taken serious. And by making comparisons to American Idiot I mean quality comparisons, not conceptual ones. Quality. The music from AI is 90% powerchords, just like iUno! and iDos!. Letterbomb, AI, Holiday, She's A Rebel, Extraordinary Girl, Whatsername, Are We The Waiting. All powerchord songs.

If they didn't want these albums to be taken seriously, then they should have released them on a side project, not the main band. People wait years for these albums, they're going to be taken serious. And by making comparisons to American Idiot I mean quality comparisons, not conceptual ones. Quality. The music from AI is 90% powerchords, just like iUno! and iDos!. Letterbomb, AI, Holiday, She's A Rebel, Extraordinary Girl, Whatsername, Are We The Waiting. All powerchord songs.

We are obviously thinking in completely different ballparks lol.

@ wrong way:

well you abviously noticed people think dos has high quality (i do). i thought uno is below average, many people thought different. its no rocket sience: some songs just hit a nerve, and some songs dont. if everybody thought the same about music that would be very boring. ok it seems critics and the majority dont like it that much. but does that mean im wrong if i like a song? no. its just people think and feel different. im not saying there arent those fans who hype everything GD puts out. but im obviously not one of them, so what do you try to convince people like me of? that we should join the hate? or just accept that they didnt do what you like this time and other times they wont do stuff i like. im pretty sure i will dislike tre and that it will be the most succesful one. and im wont say its a great record just ebcause everyone does. and im not going to say dos is bad cause veryone does. you have to accept the fact that the world is diverse. im not trying to convince you that dos is a really good album. im just feeling that way and i have no problem if others hate it....

@ wrong way:

well you abviously noticed people think dos has high quality (i do). i thought uno is below average, many people thought different. its no rocket sience: some songs just hit a nerve, and some songs dont. if everybody thought the same about music that would be very boring. ok it seems critics and the majority dont like it that much. but does that mean im wrong if i like a song? no. its just people think and feel different. im not saying there arent those fans who hype everything GD puts out. but im obviously not one of them, so what do you try to convince people like me of? that we should join the hate? or just accept that they didnt do what you like this time and other times they wont do stuff i like. im pretty sure i will dislike tre and that it will be the most succesful one. and im wont say its a great record just ebcause everyone does. and im not going to say dos is bad cause veryone does. you have to accept the fact that the world is diverse. im not trying to convince you that dos is a really good album. im just feeling that way and i have no problem if others hate it....

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm defending my opinion, and explaining where I'm coming from, and where others are coming from. It seems like there's always an excuse from people on here whenever Green Day's music is being criticized, because some people can't seem to handle it. Once an album is released

most aren't going to care about its pretenses or how the band meant for it to be viewed. Once its released it's going to be judged on its own merits. Whether the band intended for the albums to not be taken serious or not is irrevelant. That's something the band keeps to themselves. Its like they said, once an album is released its no longer there's. It's ours, to interpret it as we please. And I'm not talking about just lyrically, but musically as well. There are no wrong misinterpretations, as there are no wrong opinions. Of course a lot of people don't seem to realize this. Its the nature of the beast known as art. Everyone is ignorant, and no one is 100% right.

The album is by no means perfect, though. Stop When The Red Lights Flash is an unremarkable song on the whole. Ashley, pretty much ditto. There's good premise with Baby Eyes, but it doesn't fully follow through. Otherwise, this is a very good 7/10 and a significant step up from the first release of the trilogy.

It's a shame that you don't enjoy "Baby Eyes" or "Ashley". Those songs aren't as unique as the rest of the songs on the album, but they're still great, at least in my opinion. I also like that they give us some more definite "Green Day" on an album filled with so many unique sounds.

I love the dark lyricism on "Ashley" and the menacing guitar riff on "Baby Eyes", it's almost like a better version of "Loss of Control" off Uno. They sort of blurred by on my first 3 or so listens, but now I can't get them out of my head. I hope they grow on you as time goes on though.

As much as I adore this record, you can't deny Green Day, probably unintentionally, kind of stole some of their own songs.

Fuck Time has the same chorus chords and almost the same melody as East Jesus Nowhere, Welcome To Paradise, Sally and Dark Side Of The Night.

Lazy Bones has parts that are almost the same as Give Me Novacaine and Favorite Son.

Stray Heart has some similarities to Mother Mary.

Amy has melodies that are exactly the same as Walking Alone and Shoplifter.

I'm not bashing the record, but I just wanted to point this out. I think the record's fuckin awesome and I'm not really distracted with these similarities. It's just that now and then they pop up and make me wonder if this really is Green Day's best work like they say?

I think it is. By the way, those songs you say that sound the same, are probably because it's the same band.

I normally don't care for music reviews, but I'm absolutely flabbergasted by the website reviews you guys are posting here.

I understand the dislike for songs like "Stop When the Red Lights Flash", "Fuck Time", and "Nightlife" (even though I enjoy them) but writing off the entire album because of 3 songs?

All I can say is fuck that shit. That's 10 other great songs, 9 if you only count "See You Tonight" as the intro. "Makeout Party", "Lady Cobra", "Wow! That's Loud", "Lazy Bones", "Stray Heart", "Amy" those are some unique and great songs! Even the punk tracks , "Ashley" and "Baby Eyes", are better than some of the other punk pop tracks they've written. Ugh, sorry for losing my cool guys but my jimmies are definitely rustled.

Someone wrote on amazon: "Three power pop tracks and the other ones are just pure mainstream" ..I can understand if some hates this record, I can understand if someone says this record is no punk, but I can't fucking understand if someones says that this record is mainstream. This record is anything but fucking mainstream.

Someone wrote on amazon: "Three power pop tracks and the other ones are just pure mainstream" ..I can understand if some hates this record, I can understand if someone says this record is no punk, but I can't fucking understand if someones says that this record is mainstream. This record is anything but fucking mainstream.

That's hilarious.

Stray Heart and Amy could be considered mainstream.

Maybe SWTRLF as well, but that's basically it.

Just by reading the first sentences you can tell the reviewer doesn't like Green Day.

This reviewer is freaking ridiculous..

Some of my "favorite" lines from this review..

"Green Day, who has spent the last 18 years living in the shadow of their best-selling album Dookie"

UNTRUE.

"There is not a single standout track to be found on Dos. The fact is that this album is one hundred percent throwaway."

NO. GTFO.

"One can only hope that Green Day have hoarded all of the key tracks for the release of Tré! in some fucked up Andy Kaufman ruse. In my opinion, that’s the only chance for them to save face from the disastrous shitmess that this release has caused."

YOUR OPINION ISN'T VALID.

tumblr_mddm0bE1eX1rthj1po1_400.gif

I took myself the liberty of translating a danish review I read just one hour ago while on my way home on the train, with iDOS! actually playing in my earphones.

I want to share it mainly for sympathy with how it seems most of my fellow danes think of Green Day...

The review was published in the daily newspaper "MetroXpress" which is free and distributed around all public transportation throughout the whole country.

My attention was grabbed while listenening to iDOS! from front to back, which has been a habit of mine for the last week. I think I was on "Wow! That's Loud" when I read somewhere on the front page; Green Day gets a "dos" . Completely amused by the very smart meta reference, I turned the page and read the thing, which goes as follows:

The lyrics sounds like something taken from a chinese fortune cookie

Green Day

'Dos!'

Label: Warner

Score: 2/6 (Globes)

BY CHRISTIAN WOLKOFF/SOUNDVENUE

It almost goes without saying that the material isn't going to keep up all the way through, when you like Green Day decide to release a whole trilogy of albums within a year. Still, it amazes - so far with 'Uno!' and now 'Dos!' on the speakers - how thoroughly uncreative and unambitious the american pop punkers sound by the year of 2012. "I'm too tired to be bored / I'm too bored to be tired" Billie Joe Armstrong sings on 'Lazy Bones', and it is with an indifference in the vocals, which continues throughout the album's boring, foot-stomping drums and generic choruses.

This second installment of the trilogy is supposed to be a garage inspired party soundtrack, but most of all it sounds like the background music to a bad american college comedy. That kind of band who plays in the living room, while the protagonist tries to pick up a girl with some lame comment.

Just take 'Makeout Party' in which Armstrong sings about the kissing game 'truth or dare' over a more than arkwardly clumsy guitar riff and the same uninteresting drums, or also the pseudo-rebellious entitled 'Fuck Time', which is cheesy rock 'n rock in an untasteful way.

Of course it is punk to not seem to care, but both musically and lyrically it seems like the americans have made a halfhearted approach with this record, and especially the lyrics seems like something taken out of a pile of chinese fortune cookies.

The fact that 'Lady Cobra' is almost a complete rip-off of "Fell in Love With a Girl" by The White Stripes, doesn't help either.

'Dos!' is the soundtrack to a party I for one wouldn't want to spend my friday night on.

(Also accompanied with a red carpet photo of the band from the VMA's, badly cut out with what seems to be Paint)

I actually think his point about the fortune cookies could be rather spot on. But I thought those were meant to be small peotic sentences about life and philosophy, which seems to be something a good song would also be. Besides that I think this is an old man stuck with writing a review of a party record on a friday night, when he knows his party days are over, or non of his friends have invited him out... An obviously biased douchébag.

I don't remember what they gave iUNO!, but I think it was 3/6 or 4/6. A little better, but not much, which I don't get, cause I think iDOS! is best so far.

I'm really sad with how it doesn't seem that people get this record.

I don't mind when critics write "bad" reviews, as long as what they write makes sense and is not fully based on personal taste.

I can get so annoyed when I read a review (of any artist or band - even those I don't like) and all they talk about the album includes only 2 sentences showing their huge dislike and filling up the rest with irrelevant information that does not even regard the album they are reviewing to begin with.

Like with Uno, in a Dutch magazine the main part of the review said that it is a bad year for the Armstrongs, Neil died, lance lost his trophies and Billie Joe went to rehab.

And those people are getting paid for writing that kind of shit. If you write something critical, justify it and make sure it makes sense for crying out loud.

Review of iDos!

1) See You Tonight- Considering this is more of an intro than a song itself, I won't really rate it. Its doesn't really stand out, it just introduces the album. NR/10

2) Fuck Time- The first actual full length song of the album. In a way its sort of the sterotype of what "rock" is. With the modified vocals (that are suppose to resemble being sung from a busted speaker) to the generic "raw rock n roll" riff and sexual lyrics. Now the thing is, this song is stupid. But not stupid in a funny way, such as King For a Day. Its stupid as in, its stupid. This song kind of makes you wonder why it didn't stay as just a side project song or a live song. Considering this a full fledged Green Day LP, their main project, you'd think they'd reserve only the best of the best for their albums. But alas, this song remains a side project song, not a "main band" song. Its almost like a gimmick to enforce the "party" theme of the album. 3/10

3) SWTRLF- The 2nd song on the album is a quick guitar driven 2 and a half minutes with a repeated chorus and a memorable intro. Now the production of this song is kind of sluggish, with the guitars, drums, and bass kind of blending into one, the instruments don't sound as clean as say a song from iUno!. The solo also sounds very faint, subdued and almost hazy in a way. The backing vocals themselves are almost inaudible, and because of this they don't really add to the song as much they're meant to. Although it has flaws and is kind of generic, its a step up from Fuck Time. 6/10.

4) Lazy Bones- The most "single" sounding song on the album thus far. The lyrics are corny, and a little cliche to be upfrong "I'm too tired to be bored/I'm too bored to be tired", and the song sounds like it could have fit VERY comfortably on iUno!, nevertheless it's the strongest track so far. 7.5/10

5) Wild One- Wild One does start promising with a very Creepesque many riff and vocal delivery and some haaunting, and more promiment, backing vocals, but it does start to drag after awhile. The intro riff starts to lose its "spark" after the 3rd

time of it being played, and like Lazy Bones, the lyrics are kind of weak and cheezy "My heart is a chaser/She's strung out on razors now". This song could have used with some fat trimming. 6/10

6) Makeout Party- Now this song is basically a faster more energetic version of Fuck Time. A song that's suppose to cement this album as a "party" record. The melody of the verses and chorus are forgettable, but the guitar solo and bass solo definitley give the track a little something something. 5/10

7) Stray Heart- The song starts off with a bass line that's been used numerous times songs in the past, but in the context of this song it almost works like a sample. This song probably has the strongest melody and chorus of any song thus far, and next to Lazy Bones, definitley has a "single" feel to it. 7.5/10

8) Ashley- The fastest and most hardhitting song thus far, it wasts little to no time to get its point across. There are some memorable lyrical lines on the track, and guitars are reminiscent in a way of iUno! track Let Yourself Go. 7/10

9) Baby Eyes- One of the shortest songs on the album, there really isn't anything that makes this track stand out all that much. It's in, then it's out. Though it does complete Ashley somewhat. 5/10

10) Lady Cobra- The shortest song (not counting the intro) on the album, LC contains a main riff very reminiscent of the guitar riff used during the chorus to Longview "Bite my lip and close my eyes/Take me away to paradise". The song does have more to it than the average track on this album, and has a sort of swagger in its vocal delivery. 7/10

11) Nightlife- Possibly the most experimental track Green Day has ever done. So left field not only in itself, but the context of the entire album, that it's almost head scratching. The song uses a very apparent vocal effect on Billie's voice that gives it this really entranced, mind controlled, and monotoned sound. The rap verses at first seem well implicated, but soon become, for lack of a better word, lame. The lyrics seem to decrease in quality with each line and just aren't very funny or clever. This song definitley stands out, but stands out not as a strong song, just a weird/random one in the context of the album. 4/10

12) Wow! That's Loud- Possibly the best of example of "garage rock" done right on the album, without sounding gimmicky or over the top, this is the longest song on the album, and features a very hummable main riff and a very disorted fast solo that garners a ton of feedback, especially towards the end. This is the song that seemingly represents what Green Day wanted this album to be, yet this is the only song that fits the description the band gave while still retaining quality and not sounding like a side project type song. 8/10

13) Amy- The most nude song on the record, with a very demo type sound to it. The song is simple, sweet, with crisp vocals and a clean guitar sound. Though the melodies do resemble Walking Alone and Shoplifter. 7/10.

Overall rating: 6 out of 10 (Decent).

My rating scale:

1- This is next to impossible to get, and if anything ever does, then ill feel extremelly depressed and probably violated.

2- Terrible

3- Really Bad

4- Bad

5- Average/Forgettable

6- Decent

7- Good

8- Great

9- Amazing

10- Impossible, the scale should probably end at 9

Good review, it's almost my point of view, and we came to the same global verdict. At least there's someone who doesn't place their numbers starting from 8.5/10 (which means really bad) to 10/10.

http://idolator.com/...os-album-review

Damn, I can't stand to see my band get panned like this.

but the music on the album really isn't their best material. I don't know about you guys, but some of the songs here are just bland/flat. Somethings off here.

is this all you post about?

Archived