!Dos Reviews

Alfie

Naw man, I agree with you. Kerplunk, Nimrod and 21CB go to 18 songs each. There's a significant amount of fat that they could have trimmed from these two albums. Regardless of the songs being "their babies", bands have to do it all the time - often not even for publicity reasons but for self discipline on their end.

Will post review later in the week.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm whinning because I'm saying it wouls have been smarter, not only in a musical perspecitve but also a marketing one, to release one album composed of the bests songs that would wind up on the trilogy? You're making it sound like I'm saying for them to write new songs. I NEVER said that. What you said is in fact kind of questionable. Make 3 albums that may have a lack of quality control, over one album composed of songs ALREADY WRITTEN and compiled into something that could be truly great. So, I'm asking for too much for a band to try to make the best possible album they can? So I should lower my standards for a band, which is basically admitting to a decline in quality, rather then hoping they'll create something truly great? Oh sorry for trying to make Green Day out to be a good talented band, thanks for making me realize that I should look at them as potential that'll be wasted.

If I missed the point of your post than you missed the point of mine even more.

Why do you think they need to keep topping themselves? That's the thinking that got them into the mess that was 21st Century Breakdown. They've already released musically great albums like Warning, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown. They decided it was time to take a step back, a step in a new direction away from convoluted arrangements and extras, and out came something new and fresh that sounds like something they've never done before: Dos.

And what the hell does marketing matter? That's exactly what's wrong with mainstream music today. The music industry is too busy trying to release profitable, manufactured products. It's a good thing, at least to me, that Green Day took a stand and said "let's release 3 albums 2 months apart from each other in a climate where people A) don't buy albums and B) don't buy music".

It's okay for you to not like Dos and Uno. Not everyone is going to like everything. But to try to degrade it, to say its "not musically great" is not only pretentious but also way beyond you. That's the same thinking that made people hate Warning and Nimrod, because they weren't "great like Dookie". And now over 10 years later people are calling that their best work. It's what made people not like 21st Century Breakdown, it wasn't as "good as American Idiot". And now people are starting to like it. Hind sight is 20/20, and in 2 or 3 years you're going to be begging for something like Uno and Dos.

Well think about. 2 of the songs on Dos are being considered the worst they ever wrote, that's bound to drag the record down. That's worse then having a few duds or generic tracks, so it'll have a bigger impact. None of the songs on Uno were put into that much of a negative light.

"Kill The DJ" was called their worst song by many critics. Far from it in my opinion.

wow, i cannot believe people would judge green day based on the critics. I like reading reviews but to say green day should do quality control because critics dont like it? it almost sounds as if you people care about green days sucess then themselves! I dont care if you personally dont like it but dont let authority tell you what or how to think. Please and i see this one guy keep saying what green day should have done or shouldnt have done. Well guess what, i would much rather have bunch of songs because more songs for me. I dont want to sacrifice any songs that are on all three trilogies. it may not attract more people such as dookie or american idiot did but these songs bear green dsy, and to attract those crowd who does not like green days core sound, they would not appreicate no matter what anyway.

wow, i cannot believe people would judge green day based on the critics. I like reading reviews but to say green day should do quality control because critics dont like it? it almost sounds as if you people care about green days sucess then themselves! I dont care if you personally dont like it but dont let authority tell you what or how to think. Please and i see this one guy keep saying what green day should have done or shouldnt have done. Well guess what, i would much rather have bunch of songs because more songs for me. I dont want to sacrifice any songs that are on all three trilogies. it may not attract more people such as dookie or american idiot did but these songs bear green dsy, and to attract those crowd who does not like green days core sound, they would not appreicate no matter what anyway.

Who's to say they couldn't have released the cut tracks as a free EP download on their website? That way all the songs would still be released, but the main album would still have great quality.

i like rap music but i would say Nightlife was experimental and even though I have no bias against other gernes of music, i agree that Nightlife is too flat. I enjoy instrumentsl. and I fucking love fucktime. I think critics would be happy if green day put BOD for all tracks in the album. Good to know their opinions but undermining fuck time for being too simple and bold is underminig rockandroll values; simple and its about love(whatever the form of love that might be)

If I missed the point of your post than you missed the point of mine even more.

Why do you think they need to keep topping themselves? That's the thinking that got them into the mess that was 21st Century Breakdown. They've already released musically great albums like Warning, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown. They decided it was time to take a step back, a step in a new direction away from convoluted arrangements and extras, and out came something new and fresh that sounds like something they've never done before: Dos.

And what the hell does marketing matter? That's exactly what's wrong with mainstream music today. The music industry is too busy trying to release profitable, manufactured products. It's a good thing, at least to me, that Green Day took a stand and said "let's release 3 albums 2 months apart from each other in a climate where people A) don't buy albums and B) don't buy music".

It's okay for you to not like Dos and Uno. Not everyone is going to like everything. But to try to degrade it, to say its "not musically great" is not only pretentious but also way beyond you. That's the same thinking that made people hate Warning and Nimrod, because they weren't "great like Dookie". And now over 10 years later people are calling that their best work. It's what made people not like 21st Century Breakdown, it wasn't as "good as American Idiot". And now people are starting to like it. Hind sight is 20/20, and in 2 or 3 years you're going to be begging for something like Uno and Dos.

"Kill The DJ" was called their worst song by many critics. Far from it in my opinion.

You don't understand what I'm saying. Why do you keep bringing up Dookie and American Idiot and saying I shouldn't expect albums like that? Are you not paying attention to anything I'm saying? I'm saying take the best songs that are in the trilogy, the songs ALREADY written, the best simple songs and the best more complex songs and put them into a single album. Its wouldn't be another American Idiot or Dookie, it would be almost like those two combined. The simplicity with the complexity. One album. I'm saying this would have been the best thing they could have done. An album that is acclaimed, an album that pleases both old fans and newer fans, an album that would bring in new fans, and it would still be composed of songs the band themselves seem to like. The best of all worlds.

Who's to say they couldn't have released the cut tracks as a free EP download on their website? That way all the songs would still be released, but the main album would still have great quality.

I know that would have been good for Green Day, as far as taking on the world vibe goes. But that requires cutting songs out which requires quantifying the song (scaling it) The problem arises here. Now green day favour songs that genersl population does not. But to cut out songs that Green Day may like because it is less musically sucessful and less "poppy?" You see , I guess thats the difference between you and me; I dont care whether other people like Green Day or not. I in fact would not want them to write songs because of other people. They have wrote many songs, and they are going to advertise it. People are going to take it or leave it.

@ wrong way:

that is the nature of double or tripple albums. you personally can make a list for the best single album they have ever done out of the three. but i'm missing a lot of songs in there and for others in your list i dont care. everybody would make a completly different album with 37 songs given to us. and thats is why it is good to have those 3 albums if you have that much songs. everyboday can choose their own favourites. who says green day would have chosen your songs? maybe they would have chosen fuck time and nightlife and leaving 2 of your favorites out? what happens then? you say again how those two songs drag the ultimative album down????

for me dos alone is far better then your list of songs.... and you wouldnt approve with my list. so why not leave everyone their choice and dont act like you know everything better? i didn't like uno and i said why. people where insulting me after that for not being a green day fan (i think you were one of them). but i just stated my opinion.

you on the other hand are trying to dictate to what music everyone should listen cause you pretend to know exactly what quality is and what not. big difference between criticismn and arrogant annoying behaviour. and this behaviour gets even more ridiculous when it shines through that you base your opinion about music on critics from other people.

You don't understand what I'm saying. Why do you keep bringing up Dookie and American Idiot and saying I shouldn't expect albums like that? Are you not paying attention to anything I'm saying? I'm saying take the best songs that are in the trilogy, the songs ALREADY written, the best simple songs and the best more complex songs and put them into a single album. Its wouldn't be another American Idiot or Dookie, it would be almost like those two combined. The simplicity with the complexity. One album. I'm saying this would have been the best thing they could have done. An album that is acclaimed, an album that pleases both old fans and newer fans, an album that would bring in new fans, and it would still be composed of songs the band themselves seem to like. The best of all worlds.

Your argument would have been more valid if Uno and Dos were all mumbo jumbo with no distinct colour to it. Than I may consider, just make one album that has a theme and cut songs because that would actually give more quality. But, you have not heard Tre yet and Tre alone can draw a crowd if it is pleasant to the masses.

I do not agree a single bit that Uno and Dos are let-down because they obviously have their own distinctive sound to it. They have wrote certain amount of songs and they could have made it one album or 3 albums with different sounds. There is a reason why they did trilogy and its because none overcomes each other but they all have their own distinctive sounds

Those could have been one amazing and mindblowing album. It could have been Green Day's best work, something that will be remembered. It would have been much MUCH smarter, because Warner obviously isn't as prepared for this trilogy as they originally thought they were. Plus it would have been cheaper.

That's not necessarily true. They did the insane quality control when they made 21stCB, which is a good album but not mindblowing. Also, not everyone likes the same songs from the trilogy - I'm no fan of Carpe Diem, I think Stray heart and Stay the Night are average.. but those tracks seem to be really popular on this forum. So no, not necessarily.

I really enjoyed Uno and Dos. While they're definitely not the band's best albums as a whole, I'm glad that we're getting so much great material to shuffle through. If I want to hear a perfect album, I'll go listen to American Idiot or Dookie.

@ wrong way:

that is the nature of double or tripple albums. you personally can make a list for the best single album they have ever done out of the three. but i'm missing a lot of songs in there and for others in your list i dont care. everybody would make a completly different album with 37 songs given to us. and thats is why it is good to have those 3 albums if you have that much songs. everyboday can choose their own favourites. who says green day would have chosen your songs? maybe they would have chosen fuck time and nightlife and leaving 2 of your favorites out? what happens then? you say again how those two songs drag the ultimative album down????

for me dos alone is far better then your list of songs.... and you wouldnt approve with my list. so why not leave everyone their choice and dont act like you know everything better? i didn't like uno and i said why. people where insulting me after that for not being a green day fan (i think you were one of them). but i just stated my opinion.

you on the other hand are trying to dictate to what music everyone should listen cause you pretend to know exactly what quality is and what not. big difference between criticismn and arrogant annoying behaviour. and this behaviour gets even more ridiculous when it shines through that you base your opinion about music on critics from other people.

I don't even have any favorites, none of the songs from Dos or Uno have thus far risen above like, most to me are either passable or meh.

That's not necessarily true. They did the insane quality control when they made 21stCB, which is a good album but not mindblowing. Also, not everyone likes the same songs from the trilogy - I'm no fan of Carpe Diem, I think Stray heart and Stay the Night are average.. but those tracks seem to be really popular on this forum. So no, not necessarily.

I really enjoyed Uno and Dos. While they're definitely not the band's best albums as a whole, I'm glad that we're getting so much great material to shuffle through. If I want to hear a perfect album, I'll go listen to American Idiot or Dookie.

They did not have insane quality control during 21st CB, because there were songs from that album that could have been cut. When you make an album, if you actually care about the music you're making that is, you'll want to write the strongest songs you possibly can. Tweaking them, working out the kinks, improving them etc. If you're slapping them together then there's no passion. They're just there.

Your argument would have been more valid if Uno and Dos were all mumbo jumbo with no distinct colour to it. Than I may consider, just make one album that has a theme and cut songs because that would actually give more quality. But, you have not heard Tre yet and Tre alone can draw a crowd if it is pleasant to the masses.

I do not agree a single bit that Uno and Dos are let-down because they obviously have their own distinctive sound to it. They have wrote certain amount of songs and they could have made it one album or 3 albums with different sounds. There is a reason why they did trilogy and its because none overcomes each other but they all have their own distinctive sounds

Uno and Dos don't have their own distinctive sound, at least not as much as the band seemed to think they do. The only "dirty garage rock" tracks on the album are Fuck Time, Makeout Party, and Wow! That's Loud (WTL being where they pull it off the best without going overkill with being "dirty" or "edgy"). Every other track could have been put onto Uno and none would be the wiser.

Wait, I'm sorry...did anyone actually think that a 3 album set wouldn't be flawless? I don't know any 3 album sets or even double albums that don't have a few weak songs. The same arguement from back when I was a kid is rehased here. Yes, you could make the ultimate cd from this song and that song.

This was an experiement for Green Day and coming from the cloud of doubt after Warning that was not only hanging over the band but us fans as well...I'm glad they were able to bounce back to even have the chance to do something like this.

Hey for all we know TRE could suck too and reviews might bomb on that. Who cares, I like the albums...do I like UNO better than this, yeah...but its still a great album. Green Day has made shitty songs before, but have they ever made a shitty album....no..

Personally I can't wait to see the songs that stem from this fight Billie is going through...it might be some time before we hear if we do at all...but as a songwriter myself, the best music comes from pain

Then they need to better learn to judge their own music's quality, rather then thinking "Hey guys I wrote a song!" "Great! Let's put it on the album without really thinking about whether its album worthy or not, it at least fills the tracklist!"

They said they're their own harshest critics, yeah I call BS on that. I've read a lot harsher stuff. It's almost like when they decided to do the trilogy they threw whatever songs that they had or could quickly come up with to have 3 albums worth of material. You people need to realize that quality is always more important than quantity, but a lot of you would accept anything Green Day throws out, or overrate it since it came from Green Day. If you don't believe me then read some of the fan reviews. 10s and 9s galore. That doesn't seem very honest to me.

Uno is Green Day's lowest ranked album, and if the early critic reviews are anything to go by Dos will fare even worse. 2 okay albums and one possible great album.

Those could have been one amazing and mindblowing album. It could have been Green Day's best work, something that will be remembered. It would have been much MUCH smarter, because Warner obviously isn't as prepared for this trilogy as they originally thought they were. Plus it would have been cheaper.

I think you are missing the point of these albums. I don't think that they just pulled from a hat any song to put on these albums. There was obvious time and effort put into the songs they picked. I am not saying I LOVE Nightlife or Fuck Time (I pick those because those have been deemed to be lowering the quality of this album) but I think that they are good. I mean even as a hardcore Green Day fan as I...I certainly don't LOVE every single song they make. But I think it's absolutely silly to be quoting all these review sites and what not to tell you how to judge an album. I could care less about what this person thinks or that person. And I can sure as hell say that Billie, Mike, and Tre would say the same thing. And what makes you think that this isn't their best work? Every album is something different. I think people have been so focused on Billie having these elaborate stories and characters in his albums that they aren't used to have albums with loose..to hardly any "story" concept. I know he said that Uno was before the party, Dos was at the party, and Tre was kinda like after the party type thing, but Green Day is taking a different direction and going back to their "old" days (for lack of a better word.)

You can look at reviews all you like and make your judgement based off them, but I certainly will not. I love the fresh sound they have going on. And one last thing, I don't know why everyone is hating on the song "Nightlife." Green Day is always doing new things and I really don't consider Lady Cobra's part really as "rapping." Granted, it's not their best song, but I kinda like that they are pushing their boundaries.

Seriously your going to complain about 37 songs? Your gonna complain about two somewhat generic songs. I don't just accept every gd song just because it is a gd song. I like what I like, I don't care if it is a little generic. I think everything they do is passionate, exudes their personalities, and is written in sung in such a relatable way. It is all opinion. It isn't worth arguing too much about. Go listen to Dookie, go listen to what ever you like. Don't waste too much time blabbering about things that don't really matter. This is a green day fan site. Leave if you hate their music now. Nobody cares what you think.

I think you are missing the point of these albums. I don't think that they just pulled from a hat any song to put on these albums. There was obvious time and effort put into the songs they picked. I am not saying I LOVE Nightlife or Fuck Time (I pick those because those have been deemed to be lowering the quality of this album) but I think that they are good. I mean even as a hardcore Green Day fan as I...I certainly don't LOVE every single song they make. But I think it's absolutely silly to be quoting all these review sites and what not to tell you how to judge an album. I could care less about what this person thinks or that person. And I can sure as hell say that Billie, Mike, and Tre would say the same thing. And what makes you think that this isn't their best work? Every album is something different. I think people have been so focused on Billie having these elaborate stories and characters in his albums that they aren't used to have albums with loose..to hardly any "story" concept. I know he said that Uno was before the party, Dos was at the party, and Tre was kinda like after the party type thing, but Green Day is taking a different direction and going back to their "old" days (for lack of a better word.)

You can look at reviews all you like and make your judgement based off them, but I certainly will not. I love the fresh sound they have going on. And one last thing, I don't know why everyone is hating on the song "Nightlife." Green Day is always doing new things and I really don't consider Lady Cobra's part really as "rapping." Granted, it's not their best song, but I kinda like that they are pushing their boundaries.

I'm not basing my opinions off reviews, considering I heard the entire album before any reviews came out. Typically triple albums or double albums are full of experimental songs, to keep things from at least bleeding together. The only experimental songs so far from Dos and Uno are Kill The DJ and Nightlife. The rest are drums, guitar, and bass. That creates repetition, makes songs bleed together, and sound similar. If you're going to do a triple album, then at least make each song interesting musically, so that even if weak it has its own personality. That's a major problem with Uno and Dos. They aren't musically interesting. Obviously the point of these albums are simplicity and straighforwardness, but that doesn't mean it can't be a negative against them. The sound wears thin after awhile, that was a big complaint about Uno.

Seriously your going to complain about 37 songs? Your gonna complain about two somewhat generic songs. I don't just accept every gd song just because it is a gd song. I like what I like, I don't care if it is a little generic. I think everything they do is passionate, exudes their personalities, and is written in sung in such a relatable way. It is all opinion. It isn't worth arguing too much about. Go listen to Dookie, go listen to what ever you like. Don't waste too much time blabbering about things that don't really matter. This is a green day fan site. Leave if you hate their music now. Nobody cares what you think.

Did I ever once say I hated their new music? The answer to that riddle is no. I said I liked some of it. And I don't care if nobody cares about what I think, because this is my opinion and I can express it however I want. This is the Dos review section. I can criticize the album all I want. If you don't like it, then that's your problem, maybe you should learn to better handle critisism of GD without throwing a fit. Your opinion is no higher than mine, and mine is no higher than yours. So your opinions are just as much "blabber" as mine.

And like I said this is all my opinion.

This is what I think would have been best.

Guest Trotsky

I'm not basing my opinions off reviews, considering I heard the entire album before any reviews came out. Typically triple albums or double albums are full of experimental songs, to keep things from at least bleeding together. The only experimental songs so far from Dos and Uno are Kill The DJ and Nightlife. The rest are drums, guitar, and bass. That creates repetition, makes songs bleed together, and sound similar. If you're going to do a triple album, then at least make each song interesting musically, so that even if weak it has its own personality. That's a major problem with Uno and Dos. They aren't musically interesting. Obviously the point of these albums are simplicity and straighforwardness, but that doesn't mean it can't be a negative against them. The sound wears thin after awhile, that was a big complaint about Uno.

Obviously you don't have anything better to do than to say wryly comments.Also, since you don't like any of the two albums(Uno and Dos) don't enter and irritate others who have a different view...Is irritatingly.You said your opinion.You don't have to try to convince everyone that you're right.I hope you understand what I mean.

So this is why Green Day stays away from the critics...now I understand!!!

Did I ever once say I hated their new music? The answer to that riddle is no. I said I liked some of it. And I don't care if nobody cares about what I think, because this is my opinion and I can express it however I want. This is the Dos review section. I can criticize the album all I want. If you don't like it, then that's your problem, maybe you should learn to better handle critisism of GD without throwing a fit. Your opinion is no higher than mine, and mine is no higher than yours. So your opinions are just as much "blabber" as mine.

And like I said this is all my opinion.

This is what I think would have been best.

Somehow i lost what i intially wrote but this is basically what I said: Fine, I like that this community is a rather nice place. The when someone posts overly negative comments it bothers me. Maybe we all should control ourselves and not argue and be negative. And i think you said they should never have made the trilogy? Right? Sorry if that wasn't you. I get if you feel passionate about something. I will try harder to let it go.

Obviously you don't have anything better to do than to say wryly comments.Also, since you don't like any of the two albums(Uno and Dos) don't enter and irritate others who have a different view...Is irritatingly.You said your opinion.You don't have to try to convince everyone that you're right.I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm defending my opinion, I stated my opinion, then people started saying things to me. Criticizing my opinion, I haven't criticized others. And when did I ever say l didn't like Uno or Dos? I said l like some of the songs. What, now I'm a hater even though I never said I hated anything?

Somehow i lost what i intially wrote but this is basically what I said: Fine, I like that this community is a rather nice place. The when someone posts overly negative comments it bothers me. Maybe we all should control ourselves and not argue and be negative. And i think you said they should never have made the trilogy? Right? Sorry if that wasn't you. I get if you feel passionate about something. I will try harder to let it go.

I didn't say they shouldn't have made the trilogy I said that I think instead of doing the trilogy they could have taken the best songs from the 3 albums and made one, and release the rest of the songs as a free to download EP or a bonus disc or something. Some people here are making me out to be some hater who is just talking shit about them, and I'm not. I'm not saying "Green Day is shit! These albums are shit!". People always seems to treat me as if I do say things like that. I explain my opinions and why I feel the way I do.

I'm defending my opinion, I stated my opinion, then people started saying things to me. Criticizing my opinion, I haven't criticized others. And when did I ever say l didn't like Uno or Dos? I said l like some of the songs. What, now I'm a hater even though I never said I hated anything?

I didn't say they shouldn't have made the trilogy I said that I think instead of doing the trilogy they could have taken the best songs from the 3 albums and made one, and release the rest of the songs as a free to download EP or a bonus disc or something. Some people here are making me out to be some hater who is just talking shit about them, and I'm not. I'm not saying "Green Day is shit! These albums are shit!". People always seems to treat me as if I do say things like that. I explain my opinions and why I feel the way I do.

Well I mean saying that most of the songs are shit, is kinda of saying you hate most of their new music. You don't hate green day obviously but you don't support the trilogy, so you should see why your getting shit for it.

Why does the stupid quote button keep doubling, tripling and now quadrupling everything I quote?

I feel like you express your unpopular and mostly negative opinions in a manner that clearly demonstrates that you don't give a fuck what we here on GDC think about them, WrongWay, and I respect that, but I really have to question why you still come here. You know the people who come here, and you know that you feel differently than like 90% of us. Of course you can come here, nobody can stop you and I enjoy reading your posts, but I still wonder why you even bother coming when you (should) know how things will play out. Maybe you just like the arguments, who knows. You probably like them better than you actually like Green Day lol.

That being said, I disagree with you (and probably a lot of other people) when you say that you think they should just take the best from the 3 and release one CD. I am glad we're getting three full albums, even if some of the tracks are blander than others because so far I (and a lot of others) don't really believe there is any really bad, throwaway tracks. Some could easily be considered filler, but not in the eyes of Green Day, but they're still quality songs imo.

Well I mean saying that most of the songs are shit, is kinda of saying you hate most of their new music. You don't hate green day obviously but you don't support the trilogy, so you should see why your getting shit for it.

Why does the stupid quote button keep doubling, tripling and now quadrupling everything I quote?

I never said most of the songs are shit. Ever. Saying something is shit usually means there's some personal vendetta going on there. And yeah, I personally don't support the trilogy so far because Uno and Dos aren't radically different from each other. They sound almost the same. Overall Dos doesn't sound like a garage rock album. Most of the tracks could have fit on Uno.

I feel like you express your unpopular and mostly negative opinions in a manner that clearly demonstrates that you don't give a fuck what we here on GDC think about them, WrongWay, and I respect that, but I really have to question why you still come here. You know the people who come here, and you know that you feel differently than like 90% of us. Of course you can come here, nobody can stop you and I enjoy reading your posts, but I still wonder why you even bother coming when you (should) know how things will play out. Maybe you just like the arguments, who knows. You probably like them better than you actually like Green Day lol.

That being said, I disagree with you (and probably a lot of other people) when you say that you think they should just take the best from the 3 and release one CD. I am glad we're getting three full albums, even if some of the tracks are blander than others because so far I (and a lot of others) don't really believe there is any really bad, throwaway tracks. Some could easily be considered filler, but not in the eyes of Green Day, but they're still quality songs imo.

I'm a masochist :P I don't know, I just sometimes get the urge to say whatever comes to my mind. If you don't agree with me then fine, I'm not gonna take it personally. A lot of people on here take things far too personal and blow it out of proportions. You never see me jumping down someones throat, I'm usually the one getting jumped.

Archived