!Dos Reviews

Alfie

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was this review posted yet? http://rock.about.co...w.htm?r=twitter

I like this quote: "Weirdly, one of the strongest criticisms you can level at this album is that it's almost too good at what it does."

I love paradoxical statements like that, and it totally applies to how I feel about Dos. It sounds like that has to be a compliment, but it's not. It's how objective people would look at a group like One Direction----they're MASTERS of being a boy band, whether or not you think they're complete shit, they have it down, for whatever that is worth. "For what it's worth, it was worth all the while..." well, if it wasn't worth much to begin with, then who really cares? Dos is worth something, but if you aren't really on board with what's being offered (garage-y, party concepts, stupid topics like "fuck time"), then you're not going to like the fact that it's so successful at what it's trying to be. It's for that reason that I have a lot of respect for what Dos is, but not a lot of reason to personally embrace it. It's a weird experience.

They have rated the albums pretty much as I would've. Nice to see that someone might have a similar taste to me.

Yea even though i personally would rate Dos a little higher than Uno but i always respect Rolling Stone's reviews cause they seem to know what they're talking about most of the times :)

I love paradoxical statements like that, and it totally applies to how I feel about Dos. It sounds like that has to be a compliment, but it's not. It's how objective people would look at a group like One Direction----they're MASTERS of being a boy band, whether or not you think they're complete shit, they have it down, for whatever that is worth. "For what it's worth, it was worth all the while..." well, if it wasn't worth much to begin with, then who really cares? Dos is worth something, but if you aren't really on board with what's being offered (garage-y, party concepts, stupid topics like "fuck time"), then you're not going to like the fact that it's so successful at what it's trying to be. It's for that reason that I have a lot of respect for what Dos is, but not a lot of reason to personally embrace it. It's a weird experience.

I agree. I think Dos does exactly what they intended it to do, and they never stray from that vision throughout the album. Personally, I consider that a good thing. Although a lot of people aren't as into the sound or lyrics on this one, I find this to be one of their most captivating albums. I don't personally relate to almost any of the songs, but that's not how I enjoy music anyway. (I'm one of those weird people who doesn't relate songs to myself and identify with lyrics on a personal level per se - I usually just like to imagine a story with characters for the songs. I think of songs like a movie in a way.) Although Billie isn't singing about things that I have experienced or felt, he does communicate a very clear story that is both fun and grimy. I think the songs aren't as carefree as most people have taken them - there's a lot going on psychologically, and that's what really captures me about this album. I really love Dos for what it is.

Didn't want to say this last week what with it being new and all but I actually think Dos is my favourite Green Day album. Up there with Insomniac, Warning and Nimrod certainly. Hope Tre surpasses it.

But it didn't get "such bad reviews" sweetie.

That's my point. I would say it got pretty good reviews. I don't know where people are reading.

disregarding that it did get a 3.5 from rolling stone, no, it didn't get great reviews. in fact, the majority of links posted here were negative. the only people who are really enjoying the album is the fans, which is all that matters anyways. that being said, this is a reviews thread, and by reading all of the reviews, it's pretty obvious that most critics aren't reviewing it for what it's supposed to be- lighthearted, as they're taking it in as AI. that being said, i like the album, a lot actually, but i'm not oblivious to the fact that they aren't getting a high five and a pat on the back for it.

Yeah that's an awesome one. Why is she "our own" though?

Because she's on GDC. She's been here since last year I think.

http://www.bgnews.com/entertainment/media_reviews/album-review-new-green-day-album-has-hits-misses/article_16b6dc0c-2f9b-11e2-9101-0019bb2963f4.html

Here's my review that printed in my college's newspaper today.

Overall, I liked the album, but I feel it's a bit polarizing. I, personally, like ¡Uno! better as a whole package. I can replay it again and again and listen to it straight through. ¡Dos!, however, is much more difficult to listen to straight through, but has many more stand out tracks than ¡Uno! like "Stray Heart," "Lazy Bones" and "Fuck Time" that will go down as some of my all-time favorites. But I despise "Nightlife" with a fiery passion.

So it's really hard to say what album I like more. I like them both for different reasons. Really can't wait for ¡Tré! to tie it all together. But here's my review if you want to read it. Hopefully it gets the album some exposure on campus. :D [/end shameless plug]

I really like this review and love her interprations of the songs, but she got a lot of the lyrics wrong. ("She gave up on Jesus for living on peanuts!")

Yeah, she did get a lot of the words wrong. "Baby seer"?? :lol:

But other than that it was pretty good.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/dos!/green-day

This has a list of both critical and user reviews for DOS! and the opinions vary from 'excellent' to 'utter shite'. The site also contains sets of reviews for most of their albums since Warning, if you click on the link where it says Green Day at the top. And while, yes, UNO! and DOS! have normalised ratings of 67, the lowest Green Day rating here, according to metacritic, this score still suggests 'generally favourable reviews'.

So in the words of the great Mike Dirnt:

"Green Day is like sex, when were good, were really good, when we're bad . . . were still pretty damn good." :lol:/>

Archived