!Dos Reviews

Alfie

A 7 just for being fun? The Transformer movies are fun, but does that mean they're high quality movies? And I see numerous people overrating this album here. 9s and 10s galore, that's masterpiece territory. I guarantee that if you ask anyone who is not a Green Day fanatic or blinded by GD (and everyone here who rates these songs and albums so highly claim to not be, but it's obvious many are) they'll most likely say the album is either ok-good (6-7, maybe an 8) or bad-average (3-5).

how can i be GD blinded if i rate uno 4/10 and dos 8.5/10?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 7 just for being fun? The Transformer movies are fun, but does that mean they're high quality movies? And I see numerous people overrating this album here. 9s and 10s galore, that's masterpiece territory. I guarantee that if you ask anyone who is not a Green Day fanatic or blinded by GD (and everyone here who rates these songs and albums so highly claim to not be, but it's obvious many are) they'll most likely say the album is either ok-good (6-7, maybe an 8) or bad-average (3-5).

that is my point. Lets not ask green day fans for objectivity, but lets not ask somebody who openly criticises the band for external factors. You see, i have a different standard for a movie such as the Campaign and the Beautiful Mind. I did not watch watch the campaign to find some moral truth to it, but rather to laugh at it. I did not watch the Beautiful Mind to laugh my ass off. I completely agree with you that people throw 9 and 10 like a bone for a dog. but i had a good time listening to the album but it is not a masterpiece. The album met my expectation, unlike uno, and im quite satisfied with it. the musicwise, i had fun as much as when i first heard american idiot. yet american idiot, i would happily give ten out of ten, because it was fun, and meaningful.

Of course people in here overrate the thing to fuck. Way too many people who have posted their track by tracks with an 8.5 as the lowest rated song. That said I love the album and would give it a 7 overall. So the critical panning it's gotten has surprised me. I think part of the blame goes down to the way they were marketed over the last decade. I've said it in here for years that they are horribly misrepresented by the AI and 21st CB promotion campaigns. Uno and Dos are more reflective of the Green Day sound and image where they're at. They don't take themselves seriously at all, yet the way they were marketed with music videos and ads and interviews featuring Billie-Joe's thoughts on political issue X,Y and Z during 2004-2010 you'd think it was a different band. It's easy for me to love Dos because I know it's true to what the band stand for, but critics who are only versed in the last two albums and Dookie may see it as being a bit contrived since it's so far away from the style of the concept albums.

Did I say everybody was?

Uhhhhhhhhhh....no.

I cant believe you keep coming back. Stfu and discuss Dos reviews, as per the theme of the thread. If you don't agree with someone, you don't have to argue with every single post, just state your own ONCE - we all know what it'll be anyway...

I cant believe you keep coming back. Stfu and discuss Dos reviews, as per the theme of the thread. If you don't agree with someone, you don't have to argue with every single post, just state your own ONCE - we all know what it'll be anyway...

Da fuck are you talking about? I wasn't stating an opinion. Why don't you shut the fuck up (yeah acronyms are for pussies, or if you're too lazy (like me, yep partheneses inside of parthenses (I don't think that's how you spell parthenses correctly, but screw it)) to spell it out) and pay attention to what someone is saying in its context, rather than blindly quoting me then shit talking me for no reason because you have some sort of vendetta against me. You just made yourself sound like a titty baby and you appear condescending. Or breast baby if the word titty offends you for some odd reason. And how about YOU stay on topic? You hypocrite. You ain't fancy, you ain't a mod.

http://m.hitfix.com/news/album-review-green-days-dos-blasts-through-the-midnight-hour

http://www.metacritic.com/music/dos!/green-day/critic-reviews

(Now I'm technically still on topic)

the main reason this is getting such bad (or weak for you sensitive souls) is because compared to 21st CB, it'a overall extremely immature, which critics don't like. yeah, it's fun, but by no means a masterpiece, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still enjoyable. Besides, it's not like they were aiming for a critically acclaimed lyrical masterpiece anyways, so by those means, it's fine.

the main reason this is getting such bad (or weak for you sensitive souls) is because compared to 21st CB, it'a overall extremely immature, which critics don't like. yeah, it's fun, but by no means a masterpiece, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still enjoyable. Besides, it's not like they were aiming for a critically acclaimed lyrical masterpiece anyways, so by those means, it's fine.

In a couple years critics are going to call this a bright spot in their career because of how unique it is.

I think I'm just not gonna read the reviews anymore. I've got my copy of DOS, and I happen to enjoy listening to it, so why do I even give two shits about what the critics say?

I don't care about reviews, but I mean how many people were saying when AI came out that they wish Green Day would go back to being snotty and silly? And now they have, those same people are probably glorifying the AI days while ranting about how immature they are now. That pisses me off, but hey whatever, you can't win. Might as well just enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same.

That's constructive discussion if ever I've seen it.

WWTS is right. Warning was not as critically-panned as we believe it to be. I remember seeing lots of places call it Green Day's weakest effort to date, but I don't recall all that many just saying that it outright sucked. A lot of the Warning hate came later on, post-AI, when people like me actually listened to it for the first time and said, "That's really the same band that wrote American Idiot? Wow...and not in a good way 'wow'...".

It was never critically panned as you mentioned - not sure why people think of it that way - it was simply the low point of their major label career popularity wise. It was surprising it sold so few albums as Minority spent I believe 7 weeks at #1 on the rock charts. At the time however it was a huge departure for them. I still remember how much news was made of the violin on Hitchin A Ride and horn section on KFAD, not to mention a ballad to close the album on Nimrod, so I think people got really freaked out but the changes on Warning which in retrospect are minimal.

I don't think a lot of fans on this forum understand this evolution of the band, the fact that so many on here panned Uno I think really shows the separation between the fans who have been around for a long time and the AI - now era fans, Uno was a welcome return to a sound we grew up with whereas newer fans just didn't like the simpleness of it, it lacked the huge arena rock anthems they grew up with on AI and 21st. This is not meant to knock fans who came on in the later era just an observation.

As for Dos, I like it now after many listens but I had to grow into it. I think the most telling thing for me with this album was that it was the first one they put out that I only gave 2 listens on the first day i got it and had basically forgot about it by the next day. I had to remind myself that there was a new GD album to listen to, this was very odd for me.

I don't care about reviews, but I mean how many people were saying when AI came out that they wish Green Day would go back to being snotty and silly? And now they have, those same people are probably glorifying the AI days while ranting about how immature they are now. That pisses me off, but hey whatever, you can't win. Might as well just enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same.

I agree with you completely, but I will say that I see a difference between the snotty and silly approach of the 90s and what we're seeing on the trilogy. The 90s lyrics were self-deprecating and witty snot. We got some of that on Uno and it was great, but most of the "silly" here is coming from a darker, sexual, sometimes violent place, and it's actually less amusing. The lyrics may be as ridiculous, but "you're so precious you're a fucking delinquent" is a lot less entertaining than most of the snotty descriptions on older albums.

I agree with you completely, but I will say that I see a difference between the snotty and silly approach of the 90s and what we're seeing on the trilogy. The 90s lyrics were self-deprecating and witty snot. We got some of that on Uno and it was great, but most of the "silly" here is coming from a darker, sexual, sometimes violent place, and it's actually less amusing. The lyrics may be as ridiculous, but "you're so precious you're a fucking delinquent" is a lot less entertaining than most of the snotty descriptions on older albums.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I thought they were the same, just that I think the reasoning behind most people wanting them is. You're right though.

This review is fucking hilarious, its from a user on Sputnikmusic

"I had a future, once. People watched me pass and said "That boy's going to be president one day." "He's going to be a saint," others said. "He's going to be your mom!" still others said. I basked in the glow of their words, and knew them to be correct. I was the holiest of the holy, set apart as though by divine decree for the review of music.

But it was not to be - I did not have the strength for the task I had been given. I lay in bed that fateful night, and there I had a revelation, a vision. Kanye West hovered before me, clad in the white robes of an angel, his great wings beating the air. And when I saw him, I fell to his feet as though dead. "Behold, homeslice," the angel spoke with his silken words. "I got this mad swag line for y'all to hear - it's the end of the world, so you best shed a tear." He gestured beyond me, to a great golden door which swung wide.

Through the door strode the four horsemen of the apocalypse: Billie Joe Armstrong, whose tongue was a two-edged sword, which swept over the world and destroyed a third of its inhabitants, gleefully screaming "¡Uno!". Mike Dirnt, who carried a great axe, which swept over the world and destroyed another third of its population. "¡Dos!", he cried. Tré Cool, who rolled great stones over the earth, destroying the final third of its population, shouting "¡Tré!". Finally was Jason White, who kind of stood there and tried to look like he was helping. I watched, helpless, as all I knew plunged into eternal dark, and the four riders laughed as one, shouting, "ONE MORE ALBUM!". I looked on in faithless wonder as the universe was betrayed by these rogue musicians, and in that moment I knew death, but that grim spectre would not accept the soul of one so tainted.

Waking in a gibbering panic, I sought to calm myself, to convince myself that it was a dream, just a dream. My mind whirled in a heated debate between reason and belief. In an attempt to distract myself, I turned to my computer, and pulled up the latest news. "NEW GREEN DAY ALBUM RELEASED," it spat back at me, and the walls of reality crashed down upon me. I know not when the end will come, nor how it may be avoided. I know only that it is coming, and it is soon.

I like the album a lot. Couldn't give a fuck if people love it or hate it really. Don't regret spending money on it, bring on Tre

This review is fucking hilarious, its from a user on Sputnikmusic

"I had a future, once. People watched me pass and said "That boy's going to be president one day." "He's going to be a saint," others said. "He's going to be your mom!" still others said. I basked in the glow of their words, and knew them to be correct. I was the holiest of the holy, set apart as though by divine decree for the review of music.

But it was not to be - I did not have the strength for the task I had been given. I lay in bed that fateful night, and there I had a revelation, a vision. Kanye West hovered before me, clad in the white robes of an angel, his great wings beating the air. And when I saw him, I fell to his feet as though dead. "Behold, homeslice," the angel spoke with his silken words. "I got this mad swag line for y'all to hear - it's the end of the world, so you best shed a tear." He gestured beyond me, to a great golden door which swung wide.

Through the door strode the four horsemen of the apocalypse: Billie Joe Armstrong, whose tongue was a two-edged sword, which swept over the world and destroyed a third of its inhabitants, gleefully screaming "¡Uno!". Mike Dirnt, who carried a great axe, which swept over the world and destroyed another third of its population. "¡Dos!", he cried. Tré Cool, who rolled great stones over the earth, destroying the final third of its population, shouting "¡Tré!". Finally was Jason White, who kind of stood there and tried to look like he was helping. I watched, helpless, as all I knew plunged into eternal dark, and the four riders laughed as one, shouting, "ONE MORE ALBUM!". I looked on in faithless wonder as the universe was betrayed by these rogue musicians, and in that moment I knew death, but that grim spectre would not accept the soul of one so tainted.

Waking in a gibbering panic, I sought to calm myself, to convince myself that it was a dream, just a dream. My mind whirled in a heated debate between reason and belief. In an attempt to distract myself, I turned to my computer, and pulled up the latest news. "NEW GREEN DAY ALBUM RELEASED," it spat back at me, and the walls of reality crashed down upon me. I know not when the end will come, nor how it may be avoided. I know only that it is coming, and it is soon.

Greatest. Review. Of. All. Time.

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-et-ms-1113-green-day-dos-20121113/

Not sure if anyone has posted this but I really liked this review. Whoever wrote it actually sounded like they knew some background on the band and the recording process.

What they said about it "wanting to be over" or something, I kind of see where they're coming from but I believe that once the band is back on the road this period will be forgotten and the tour will be their best yet.

This is my review track by track of Dos

See You Tonight 7/10

Fuck Time 8/10

SWTRLF 8/10

Lazy Bone 7.8/10

Wild One 9/10

Makeout Party 8.5/10

Stray Heart 8/10

Ashley 7.5/10

Baby Eyes 4/10

Lady Cobra 8/10

Nightlife 2/10

Wow! That Loud 8/10

Amy 8.5/10

Most of the song are awesome some are terrible but overall is a really solid album

Final Verdict 8/10 for ¡Dos!

I don't get it anyway. Seems to me like it's getting some pretty good acclaim. What's all the bitching about? Also, who gives a shit what some PERSON thinks about what you like?

Anyway, the reviews have been pretty good so I don't get all the fuss. Maybe you guys should switch to pads because the tampons are twitching your moods or something. Life is short, stop sweating the small shit.

You don't ever go back to being a listless teenager when you're a grown man with kids and a wife. Billie the writer is an actual person who is an adult dealing with issues of carnal desires from sex to drugs (which landed him in rehab).

So when you're a teenager dealing with the angst of masturbation losing it's fun vs. being a man and dealing with the drugs that were once fun and now turning your life in to a wreck, the lyrics are going to show the difference. AI could never have been written in 1994 and either could have Dos. You know what could have been written in 1994? Dookie. So there you have it. Shit, if you guys think these are dark lyrics, I got some bands to turn you on to. This is fun music and Dos is off the charts great. One of their best showings.

You cannot turn back time and hell if I'd want to. All Green Day ever does is keep making it hard for them to top the last thing they did. As Letterman once profoundly said, they are single handedly keeping Rock N Roll fun.

i think my message came across differently than i meant for it to; everyone was wondering why it got such bad reviews, so that's my reasoning. however, that doesn't mean that i necessarily agree with the critics, as I myself enjoy the album for what it is. take every critics opinion with a grain of salt.

Archived