!Dos Reviews

Alfie

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I wonder if it might do some good to have a dedicated thread for reviews? Might be easier to find them?

YES

Actually, I wonder if it might do some good to have a dedicated thread for reviews? Might be easier to find them?

Yes please!

NME does not hate everything Green Day does.

Uh, 8/10 for 21st CB doesn't sound very hateful to me.

Seriously, iUno! would never have gotten the scores that people on here have given it (i.e. most here gave it between a 9-10, I'm sure there's some inflation involved there due to personal bias). That's near masterpiece or magnum opus terrority, and I don't care how biased you are I don't think you can say with good faith that iUno! is a masterpiece. iDos! will probably score a 7, MAYBE an 8 by NME.

Yeah, where is this propaganda against NME coming from? I checked and of the 3 studio albums they reviewed (Warning - 5/10, American Idiot 8/10, 21CB 8/10)... that doesn't seem particularly anti-Green Day at all, it seems consistent with general reaction to those albums. Is it just "the way they say it" that's the problem? Is it that they give Green Day decent scores but are so aggressive with their word choice that we assume they pan Green Day every time? Obviously that review of Dos comes across as hyper-critical, but in the end they somehow admit it's a good album. I think they just can't decide.

We all know NME sucks Muse's dicks (even though I love Muse so much <3) and for some reason they hate GD.

We all know NME sucks Muse's dicks (even though I love Muse so much <3) and for some reason they hate GD.

Where is this "hate Green Day" come from? NME just a very critical website when it comes to any band, not just Green Day. Much prefer them to be critical of the band then to be ass kissers, because ass kissers just get plain annoying, and are only supported by other ass kissers. Considering this is a Green Day fansite, I'm sure any critisism aimed towards the band in any way is likely to be blown out of proportion, or just labeled as "bullshit, they have no idea what they're talking about!".

How hypocritical of some people to say that they don't care about reviews, or that they're fine with other people's opinions only to lash out at someone who gave an opinion some don't agree with. Have any of you heard the full album yet? What's that? No? Oh well there you go. You can't say anything. Sure you might have heard most of the album through live songs, but not the full studio versions.

Just as some people say "Don't judge a song as bad before the studio version is out!" you can also say "Don't judge a song as good before the studio version comes out."

http://m.ew.com/arti...0643803,00.html

Entertainment Weekly review of iDos!

B+ = 8/10.

Thanks for the link. I wish they'd elaborate a little more, but at least it's a good score right? I'm excited that Baby Eyes has gotten love in both reviews I've seen so far because I haven't heard any of it yet and it really makes me want to listen.

Dos will probably be better than Uno. From "Stray Heart", "Stop When the Red Lights Flash", and that handful of bootlegs and previews we have, I'm feeling that Dos will be stronger in terms of melody and lyricism. It even seems like it might be a little more original, although I use that phrase lightly (I don't agree with everyone comparing all the new songs to old stuff, it's getting too nit picky).

The critics are probably going to rate Dos in that 8-9/10 range, seeing as Uno was in that 6-7/10 range (don't get me wrong though, I fucking love the album). Tre will be the critical favorite, just because it's shaping up to be a true successor to AI and 21CBD. Musically it might be the best too; I get the feeling Green Day is going for a "save the best for last" type thing here.

NME is a poor excuse for a magazine/website. They couldn't write a proper review if their lives depended on it.

I am not hitting nor supporting NME but the judgement of a review for fans like us, is to go back and read it after you have had many listens. Let us take UNO! as an example: Here is an excerpt from NME's review;

Yet reviewing ‘¡Uno!’ isn’t as straightforward as you might think. Yes, it’s essentially a return to the Green Day of old – as meat-and-potatoes and uncomplicated a record as they’ve made since 2000’s ‘Warning’. But it’s also the first instalment of a hugely ambitious triple album whose staggered release (‘¡Dos!’ and ‘¡Tré!’ will follow in the coming months) renders it oddly incomplete. However successful the whole endeavour might end up being, ‘¡Uno!’ can only be judged on its own merits, and those merits are somewhat erratic.

Strangely enough, the singles are the most conspicuous letdowns. ‘Oh Love’ would be serviceable at half the length, but the average listener’s attention threshold for poorly disguised ‘All Right Now’ knockoffs just doesn’t stretch to five minutes . ‘Kill The DJ’, meanwhile, is an uncomfortable sashay into four-on-the-floor indie disco that, if we’re being generous, could be said to resemble an unusually gauche Franz Ferdinand B-side. The hardcore will no doubt rush to its defence, but the song is what it is: 40-year-old millionaires attempting to recreate a sound they’ve mistaken for being edgy.

The annoying part is, any one of the opening trio of songs on ‘¡Uno!’ would have served as a better – and more honest – introduction. The pyrotechnic power chords, stop-start clatter and reassuringly phlegmy sneer of ‘Nuclear Family’ is classic, unreconstructed Green Day, while ‘Stay The Night’ and ‘Carpe Diem’ both fizz with impossibly adolescent brio – indeed, the latter’s rallying-cry of “Are we all too young to die?” is the album’s best chorus.

Those songs – as well as the knock-kneed power-pop of ‘Fell For You’ (“Woke up in a pool of sweat/At first I thought that I’d pissed the bed”) and snarling last-gang-in-town-isms of the Rumblefish-referencing ‘Rusty James’ – form the good half of an old-fashioned, bipartisan, parent-maddening Green Day album. The others, by and large, form the rest of it, and therein lies the problem: the likes of ‘Trouble Maker’ and ‘Let Yourself Go’ are enjoyable, but basically unmemorable.

I would say that is a pretty good assessment of UNO!, unfortunately NME top and tail the review with a mix of intelligent and really trite comments. I think NME's mark is too low, not all of UNO! is brilliant but there are no duffers, and they have a habit of closing on a negative note - like they just cannot help themselves, although to be fair I don't think that is just for Green Day. The quality of NME's journalism is so varied; it tries to be the Observer (UK serious paper) of the music press but just cannot stop itself being the Sun (UK tabloid) as well.

So I think we should assess NME's and any other DOS! review only after we have heard the album.

To be perfectly honest, I see nothing wrong with NME's reviews. The UNO! one was completely honest and did make some very good points. I personally give UNO! a slightly higher score but that's as maybe. The DOS! review looks fairly reasonable as well - nothing anti-Green-Day in there. As a general rule of thumb, I'd up NME's scores by 1 to get what I thought of the album (eg. I;d give Warning a 6, the rock-operas a 9 each etc.)

NME love Green Day, a 6 for Uno was pretty generous. Although no doubt they'll change their opinion at some point and deem their entire catalogue shit.

Three sentences and a 21CB era picture from EW is not a job well done. By the magazine or Warner. Kudos to GD for scoring the B+.

I don't think the NME article is that negative, some snarkiness and feeling the need to look for/invent negative things just for the sake of being edgy and not only saying positives is a bit tiresome but it's to be expected from them. In any case the details they mention about the songs sound great to me so whatever their opinion of it the review has made me very excited for the album!

How about we all just ditch the idea of reading a review and give it a listen yourself, make your own judgements on the album and develop your own opinion . It's more sensible seeing as how everyone's take will be different.

On topic, I've been loving what I've heard so far of this album (aside from "See You Tonight" "Baby Eyes" "Ashley" and "Wow! That's Loud")

Archived