Press Release: December tour canceled; Jan & Feb dates postponed

jtdscape

I really don't know if I believe Tre's statement that they're giving it to us a month early just to make up for the canceled dates. Did that decision really just come from the band or was it something Warner wanted to do? Hmm.

Definitely Warner. I'm not sure if a band is even allowed to decide when a new album is going to be released.

This whole BJ - story gives them a lot of promotion, but most of it is bad which is why they want to catch the Christmas - boom. That's just my theory though...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not TOO bad... I don't fully agree with the idea of releasing Tre earlier, I think it's good to be able to anticipate something like that, but hey, more Green Day!

It makes me wonder if the band realized Billie was on some sort of substance during the recording, or the short live tour...? I just wonder when he began, and when the band became aware.

I think after he gets out, he'll be in a way healthier state of mind as well. As in, I don't think this sort of thing will happen again. So that's good!

And IF they move the Seattle date to a larger venue then I MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO GET TICKETS. Who knows? That would be AMAZING.

I don't know if he was on a substance. The way Mike talked about it, it seemed like Billie had been fighting demons for quite some time, even before the trilogy.

I'm guessing that, whatever problems he had, the pressure of doing shows/promoting 3 albums just escalated the situation more.

I'm not surprised, but it's actually very sad news. I'm sorry for fans in the USA and I hope that no more shows will be canceled.

somehow i got the impression that the band was falling apart a little bit during the time before and right after the announcement of Billies rehabilitation, so i'm actually a bit relieved that they arent going on tour right now. I'd rather wait a while longer for live shows than risk the entire band

well this puts a damper on my day. got a hurricane coming my way and now gd canceling shows. :sad:

Gah! Stay safe up there!

I don't know if he was on a substance. The way Mike talked about it, it seemed like Billie had been fighting demons for quite some time, even before the trilogy.

I'm guessing that, whatever problems he had, the pressure of doing shows/promoting 3 albums just escalated the situation more.

That's true, it does seem more than the drugs, if drugs were a part of it at all. It just seems bizarre to me that they would do this crazy promotion and release three albums and plan a year long tour if they, especially Mike and Tre, knew about Billie's health. No disrespect to them at all, I'm just wondering at what point they knew about it, or if they didn't at all. Billie probably tried to make it seem less important than it was.

Damn, this sucks! This trilogy was supposed to have the biggest tour ever! Even though Tre is being released 1 month earlier, its just sad for the people whose shows are cancelled.

But hey, nothing is more important than Billie's health, and Mike and Tre are such awesome friends. :3

All we can hope for is that Billie gets well soon and everything is back to normal!

Thought it might be something like this. I got the text in my ethics seminar and was worried it could be worse! I'm glad to see that Billie's getting better though.

Rob cavallo and the record company are crapping their pants, mikes hair is turning grey worrying about his friend, the fans are in the fetal position in the corner over cancelled tour dates and Tre... well, he's been out fishing. haha he's just so carefree, i love it

A tad dissapointed. However, later dates mean no blizzards or sub-zero temps! Also glad to hear Billie is doing well.

yes, I agree! Except now we're probably going to have to wait till they're done touring Europe. Although, it will be well worth the wait in the end. :D

This is what I thought might happen, and have thought since September. There was no way he could go from two months treatment to being out on tour - it'd have undone everything he did in getting better. This is good news, and i'm happy that it was the guys' idea to bring the album release forward.

That was the first thing I thought the moment they announced that he was going to rehab. I found it odd actually that they didn't postpone anything right away. This kind of stuff does normally take quite a few months.....sometimes a solid year even.

That's true, it does seem more than the drugs, if drugs were a part of it at all. It just seems bizarre to me that they would do this crazy promotion and release three albums and plan a year long tour if they, especially Mike and Tre, knew about Billie's health. No disrespect to them at all, I'm just wondering at what point they knew about it, or if they didn't at all. Billie probably tried to make it seem less important than it was.

Green Day is a family that has an alcoholic (or worse) brother. If and when they do come back, they will be changed from having gone through this experience; that is, I would not expect them to act or perform the same way that we've been accustomed to over the past decade. I agree that sending Billie back out before he's had a chance to figure out how he got off the rails, and more importantly what he has to do to stay on them even when he's immersed in a rock-star touring bubble, would be a disaster for all of them and would risk Billie's life again. This is a process that takes months and years to work through, not weeks. PR or no PR, they are clearly putting Billie's recovery first and foremost. In the short run it sucks for us, but it gives Billie's recovery a better chance for long-term success. I do not envy what any of them are going through right now.

It makes me wonder if the band realized Billie was on some sort of substance during the recording, or the short live tour...? I just wonder when he began, and when the band became aware.

My limited understanding is that Billie started drinking again around the time that American Idiot on Broadway was wrapping up in NYC. It's complete speculation as to whether that led to other substance abuse as well, but regardless, one thing has got to be clear to his mates and family now: Never, ever, ever leave Billie Joe Armstrong alone with his thoughts in New York (remember, his D.U.I. in 2003 came after he returned from a few months alone in NYC, even though that time led him to write BOBD which eventually led to American Idiot -- see a pattern?) He epitomizes the statement that "idle hands are the Devi's playground" -- and there's just way too much temptation there for someone with a history of addiction and substance abuse. Trouble will find him, and then St. Jimmy comes roaring back from out of the woodwork.

Anyway, if that timeframe is true, it's more likely than not that he'd have been pretty juiced in the studio. Again, they're a family with an alcoholic brother -- you make do, explain away, cover as best you can....until you can't anymore. Then it's time to get help...and they're all damn lucky that there was still time enough for that.

To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with this. We're getting Tre more than a month early, and although Billie's 'illness' is pushing back appearances from the band, at least he is making a visible recovery and will be on the road again in no time. Good luck, man. And sorry to all those who have had their tour dates pushed back. But hell, we get TRE!

Better than canceled!

I know that feel man... :/

So, for those of us who have had their show canceled, how to do we go about getting our money back?

I just emailed Goldenvoice, the promoter for the December 4th show, and Green Day's customer service asking who will be distributing refunds and such, but if anybody has anymore information or has ever been in a situation like this please provide more information!

Ugh, seriously? My first time seeing them and it gets fucked up. Whatever. Hope Billie gets better.

I was kind of expecting it tbh, I'm just glad that they're not rushing to get back out there and not let us down etc. because that could be so much more detrimental to Billie right now. At least, we know that when they do come back hopefully in the Spring, Billie will be back on top form and they'll pump out some of the best live shows ever. I think it's really sweet of them to move the release date of Tre for us though, they didn't need to do that but they did because it's a real bum-out for anyone who's bought show tickets etc.

I knew they would cancel the November and December dates once Rob hinted that he didn't know if he would see Billie before Christmas but to be honest i am shocked about the Jan and Feb dates. I've said a thousand times and now a thousand one if it takes a year or ten...Billie's health is all that matters. So sorry for those with tickets to the cancelled shows though or those with flights etc. As for Tre! being moved forward... im actually not wild on the idea. While i love the gesture from the guys i feel it will be an even longer gap between the last of the albums and the start of the tour and also sales wise it may be too close to Dos! for some people especially with little promotion (and im guessing since they cancelled dates they won't be out flogging the media circuit). Personally even though i have the boxset preordered i would rather spread it out a little as it is the last one (who knows when we will get a new album after all this!).

I've said it once and I'll say it again:

Take as long as you need, Billie. We'll still be here...

That's right!! We just hope Billie gets better as soon as he can!! Until that we'll have two more albums to enjoy every second and I'm sure Green Day will rock the world in 2013 and it's gonna be a GREAT year for all the Green Day Family!!! :D

so fucking sad that the Seattle show at the Paramount got cancelled. Now instead of being 1 of 2800 people, ill have to be 1 of 16,000. Fuck

Archived