Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Drop Dead Hideous

Drop Dead Hideous
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Joined Sep 03, 2010
  • 525 rep
Now that the new OS of Microsoft is available to public. Who's gonna try it out? Opinions?
  • Harry Potter. likes this

Dalya

Dalya
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined Jul 25, 2012
  • 142 rep
I am going to update it on Windows 8 soon, but I am a little worried about its compatibility with some software that I used to work on Windows 7. I will wait till people have a full grasp of what this OS really represents. If you have any useful information, let me know.

stuart_and_the_ave

stuart_and_the_ave
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2009
  • 922 rep
I used the beta/trial version for a while but changed back to Windows 7. I think it would be quite good if you have a touchscreen but otherwise it's kind of annoying.

There is no start bar but you can get a plugin to get it back. All apps/programs open in fullscreen so switching between programs isn't a simple/quick as before.

I can't really remember anything else but I won't be upgrading. Maybe if I took the time to get used to it it would be better.

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,836 rep

I am going to update it on Windows 8 soon,

Think twice. I've heard so many bad things about it, like that you can't find shutdown button (it's in the Settings, WTF), and there're so many incompability with software and everything else. And we all know, that Microsoft does their systems one after another, XP was good, Vista sucked, then again 7 was good and 8 seems to suck so far.
Spoiler

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, I'm a big Apple fan and mostly a mac user, although I have to use Windows in my oficce, so probably my opinion is not to fair to Microsoft :lol:

Edited by angry_robot, 26 October 2012 - 12:46 PM.

• Dalya likes this

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,757 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,673 rep
I think it looks ugly and I don't like change so I see no reason to update.

Not to mention I have no clue on how to update an OS anyway :lol:

Dalya

Dalya
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined Jul 25, 2012
  • 142 rep

Think twice. I've heard so many bad things about it, like that you can't find shutdown button (it's in the Settings, WTF), and there're so many incompability with software and everything else. And we all know, that Microsoft does their systems one after another, XP was good, Vista sucked, then again 7 was good and 8 seems to suck so far.

Spoiler

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, I'm a big Apple fan and mostly a mac user, although I have to use Windows in my oficce, so probably my opinion is not to fair to Microsoft http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Thanks for the advice. I heard that most people complain about W8 because of its completely new UI, but overall it has a better security and faster speed. I will wait till June probably because you can update it for $15, and it's much cheaper than now ($69). The video made me laugh hard :lol: My parents gonna hate W8. but I still think people should give it a shot.

:)

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,836 rep

Thanks for the advice. I heard that most people complain about W8 because of its completely new UI, but overall it has a better security and faster speed. I will wait till June probably because you can update it for $15, and it's much cheaper than now ($69). The video made me laugh hard http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... My parents gonna hate W8. but I still think people should give it a shot.

Yeah, sure, why not, it's still an upgrade, so there has to be many improvements in stability and security (let's hope so) I myself find the whole idea of Metro interface very nice, but probably they could have make it better, I work with the guys who develop software for Windows 8 and I tested in on tablet and on a PC for a while, there's so many things they absolutely NEED to improve (in terms of developement also), so I will certanly wait at least for SP1. But that's because I have much work to do and I just need my computer to be stable and don't have any problems. I mean, if I was at school, I would probably already installed it, cause I had lots of free time and I loved digging into new software, y'know, trying different programs, improving system etc. Right now I just need my Adobe suite to work stable, so no experements :lol:
  • Drop Dead Hideous and Dalya like this

whatshername0303

whatshername0303
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Joined Jul 18, 2010
  • 155 rep
I like my Windows 7 and I don't think I'll upgrade because Windows 8 seems difficult to understand...:o

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep
I'm staying with 7 as long as I can. I don't want a tablet OS on my desktop tower, thank you very much.
  • 3's and Marius Pontmercy like this

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

Spoiler

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, I'm a big Apple fan and mostly a mac user, although I have to use Windows in my oficce, so probably my opinion is not to fair to Microsoft http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...
Microsoft had problems also with previous versions of Windows. 95 was pretty good (my first pc). I remember that I haven't got the first version of 98, just 98SE cos my mom was waiting with upgrading. Then were Windows 2000 and ME and with one of them were problems. Then they Microsoft create the best software imo. I still have Win XP on my old PC.

I won't upgrade to Windows 8, cos I have many programs which might not be compatible with it. However, if I decides to buy netbook, I think I would choose windows 8 to see how it works.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep
2000 was primarily for workstations and was good in that capacity. Using it on home computers would've been...weird. WinMe was an absolute, abject failure, based on an outdated platform. If you're old enough to remember having used it, you'll no doubt agree that the thing was as stable as Charlie Sheen. There's a reason it was replaced one year later, an extremely fast timeline by Microsoft standards. XP, tbqh, was the shit. Vista was meh. Not my favorite. Too many DMCA protections that made even legal stuff hard to do sometimes. 7 is damn solid. Not as good as XP was, but damn solid all the same.

8 is basically a cell phone UI, ported to tablets and PCs. Scary.

Drop Dead Hideous

Drop Dead Hideous
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Joined Sep 03, 2010
  • 525 rep
well here's an article that says windows 8 is better than expected

http://www.businessi...-8-tour-2012-10

I am going to update it on Windows 8 soon, but I am a little worried about its compatibility with some software that I used to work on Windows 7. I will wait till people have a full grasp of what this OS really represents. If you have any useful information, let me know.

I won't upgrade to Windows 8, cos I have many programs which might not be compatible with it. However, if I decides to buy netbook, I think I would choose windows 8 to see how it works.

windows RT cannot run the programs before 8, only those in the store. as for the pro version, it runs pretty much everything. I'm excited to play diablo in a tablet... :))

Also, it is true that windows 8 can manage processes better, thus improving ram usage... Also for everyone complaining about the new start screen... Here's a trick that will bring back the old one.
http://lifehacker.co...nu-in-windows-8

I'm pretty sure windows 8 is a lot faster and more secure than 7. Though 8 still has many bugs

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep
I think most people forget that Windows 8 isn't designed to work well on PCs. It's really just for tablets. They won't start shipping PCs with Windows 8 pre-installed; Windows 7 will remain as the primary Microsoft OS until they bring out a new PC one.

Drop Dead Hideous

Drop Dead Hideous
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Joined Sep 03, 2010
  • 525 rep

I think most people forget that Windows 8 isn't designed to work well on PCs. It's really just for tablets. They won't start shipping PCs with Windows 8 pre-installed; Windows 7 will remain as the primary Microsoft OS until they bring out a new PC one.

uhm actually they will ship new pc's and laptop with windows 8 installed on it :D google it for yourself..

Hawx

Hawx
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2012
  • 13 rep
Im not upgrading to Win 8, Too much change...

Advertising

whatshername0303

whatshername0303
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Joined Jul 18, 2010
  • 155 rep

Today, I went to a pc store and they were selling laptops with Windows 8 or 7. :mellow:

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,516 rep
I'll stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 seems pointless. Like others have said, it should be for tablets or phones, not for laptops or desktops.

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 956 rep
The whole ui is optimized for touchscreens so it doesn't make much sense if you don't have one. I like the whole look and feel of metro, but I'm sticking with 7 for now.

pieterv

pieterv
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2011
  • 323 rep

You're wrong, it just didn't turn out all that great for regular PCs on the new interface side, but the regular Windows interface is always just a click away.

I'm a mac user and I'm a fan of Microsoft's bold decisions and design, I'm not sure if every Windows 8 decision was the right one, but I'm excited to see where this is going as they keep working on their ideas.

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep

You're wrong, it just didn't turn out all that great for regular PCs on the new interface side, but the regular Windows interface is always just a click away.

I'm a mac user and I'm a fan of Microsoft's bold decisions and design, I'm not sure if every Windows 8 decision was the right one, but I'm excited to see where this is going as they keep working on their ideas.

Windows 8 does leave out most of the original Windows 7 interface features. Yeah, you can access the desktop, but it's not really the desktop. I'm a Windows fan (I can't stand Mac OS) but replacing a PC OS with a tablet OS was a big mistake. I can't see why anybody would buy a Windows 8 PC unless it was for development purposes.

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep
Windows 8 is just the OS from the Windows Phone put in a computer. That's what I hate about cellphones in general, and I would not want to have that on my computer.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,447 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,934 rep

2000 was primarily for workstations and was good in that capacity. Using it on home computers would've been...weird. WinMe was an absolute, abject failure, based on an outdated platform. If you're old enough to remember having used it, you'll no doubt agree that the thing was as stable as Charlie Sheen. There's a reason it was replaced one year later, an extremely fast timeline by Microsoft standards. XP, tbqh, was the shit. Vista was meh. Not my favorite. Too many DMCA protections that made even legal stuff hard to do sometimes. 7 is damn solid. Not as good as XP was, but damn solid all the same.

Scary good? Cause I'm getting this shit on my new computer and a person needs to know these things

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Scary good? Cause I'm getting this shit on my new computer and a person needs to know these things

No, "scary" as in, "I'm scared of how shitty this is going to be, because somehow I fear that even my lowest expectations cannot even begin to touch the levels of pure, unadulterated shittiness that will be caused by scaling a cell phone OS up to a desktop computer."
  • Marius Pontmercy, WalkingContradictionPL and angry_robot like this

3's

3's
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2010
  • 286 rep
I'm still (and sticking with) XP.

My friend had the beta version, and it's just a complete 180 from 7. At least XP > Vista > 7 all had similar design.

mechanicalman

mechanicalman
  • 11,274 posts
  • Joined Oct 07, 2006
  • 1,542 rep
They'll never top 95. All downhill from there.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

95 was basically a Mac OS.

...you fruit-loving commie.

KarlyLovesGD

KarlyLovesGD
  • Meyohimeyoi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined Jun 17, 2011
  • 2,895 rep

I got rid of my 95 a few years ago. :( Right now I have XP and I plan on keeping it that way.

mechanicalman

mechanicalman
  • 11,274 posts
  • Joined Oct 07, 2006
  • 1,542 rep

95 was basically a Mac OS.

...you fruit-loving commie.

Was it fuck. iWanker.

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

I used 2000 and ME only few times, but it always got on my nerves. When my aunt bought PC with ME, I stayed with 98 and waited for XP. I have been using it for about 8 years, but now I see that 7 on my laptop is better then XP. Switching between windows and programs is quicker and there are more posibilities for visual changes. I know that some or even all of them are on Vista, which is used by my parents, yet I have never get like to it. At the beginning of using it many software was uncompatible with it. And the whole protection... For my mom it isn't a big problem, but I hate using her PC. Nonetheless, she doesn't care about her computer as I, so it works as it works. It's sometimes slower than my six-year-old PC.

Lucca Orlandini

Lucca Orlandini
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2012
  • 20 rep
Should work well on a 4 gb ram, 500 gb hd, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users