Favourite Green Day Moment (That You've Seen Live)

Hawx

I was fortunate enough to be at the Denver 2010 show to see the first public performance of Cigarettes and Valentines. I nearly shit my pants.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to hear a 2000 Light Years Away and Going to Pasalacqua at my very first show. 2 of my favorite old songs

Oooh, that's a tough one. Either when they played King For a Day and Billie came out in a cape and crown and threw things into the audience, or when they played Longview and had people come up and sing it with them.

My favorite moment: In '09 I saw Green Day in CT and when they started playing BOBD the whole entire crowd sang the first verse and chorus alone and it was the most eerie and euphoric feeling ever. Billie didn't join in until after the first chorus, but us, the crowd alone were so LOUD it was amazing, I've never experienced anything like it at any other concert.

The Green Day show that I attended was on 2010 at Rio de Janeiro. During Tré's part after King For A Day he spitted inside his pants and a guy next to screamed something like "oh no he didn't!". I laughed so hard :D

They also improvised a song called Rio (the lyrics were basically "Rio, Rio, Rio de Janeiro") and after that Billie said "This is a new single, called Rio. From our new album called Rio. From a band now called Green Rio." It was so funny and awesome at the same time, I can't even.. Then when they started playing JOS Billie threw away his guitar and took his shirt off right before Dearly Beloved, I just went nuts!

SO. MANY. MEMORIES.

Here are some videos for the JOS thing and the Rio thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_eyozQiWYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwhnRgCSpI

my fovourite moment is from the first green day concert I went on, in Berlin August 30th 2012. When they played BOBD and the audience were singing the song and Billie just played his guitar, it was such a macigal moment and I need to cry every time I see it.. :)

Here is a video from this beautiful moment : http://m.youtube.com/watch?hl=de_DE&client=mv-google&gl=DE&v=qoBQ3FsPKog

I totally know how you feel, the same thing happened at the show I went to in Connecticut, and it really is magical. It's my favorite moment also.

Too many moments to choose from!

I was lucky enough to meet them backstage at the Conan O'Brien show in 2001. This would be the highlight as I got to take photos with the band. As for favorite moment during a performance I've been to, probably getting to go on stage with a crowd of people during The Foxboro Hot Tubs show at Don Hills in NYC. During Broadway, I put my arm around Mike Dirnt and sang the words to "El Camino" with him. This was also the show where they debuted It's Fuck Time.

At the concert I went to (Mansfield, MA August 2010), they were doing King For a Day and Billie sent Jason Freese up to sing, and took his saxophone. When Jason went to do the "I want you to knowwww" part Billie blew on the saxophone too early and Jason turned around and said "Not now!" and Billie started laughing for like 10 minutes :lol:

well, I've only seen them once here in Chile in 2010, and it has to be when Billie ended the set with Good Riddance.

I cried throughout the entire song

For me it would either be Green Day playing an hour long set after the last performance of American Idiot on broadway in 2011, or the first time Drama Queen was played live back in 2009.

Back on the 21st CB tour I saw them in Kansas City and towards the end of the first encore (before Billie's Acoustic encore) a guy jumped up on stage on the side and shook Bille's hand. Billie was so cool about it, he shook it and continued singing without missing a beat!

After saving a little girl during EJN:

Billie: "Mikayla. You're upstaging me. That's now cool. Now get your ass off my fuckin stage! ...I HOPE YOU GET TOOTH DECAY!"

:lol:

I'm from Brazil and been to all the eight shows they played here (four in 1998 and another four in 2010).

I was never lucky enough to be called up on stage so my favourite moment would have to be when, in the Rio de Janeiro concert, in the 2010 tour, right after Geek Stink Breath, they played a special song for the city...not my home town but the city I've been living in for almost 10 years. That was very special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAOgfporVkU

Another great moment was in the very next concert of the 2010 tour, in Brasilia, when, during the first chords of BOBD, Billie saw one of the guys who were there promoting Cup Noodles and he asked the guy for the costume he was wearing, then he sang part of the first verse of the song dressed up as a Cup Noodles. It was very funny!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHxuvdmtrCEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHxuvdmtrCE

Just wondering if anyone has a favourite time at a concert that they've been to.

Verizon Center, Washington DC, summer 2009. Band takes the stage to Song of the Century, place goes nuts, they play first section of 21st Century Breakdown. Then on the "Celtic punk" instrumental (and mind you this is the *first* thing he said that night!), Billie darts over to the side of the stage, points to the hoity-toities in one of the 200-level club sections right above me, and screams "STAND THE FUCK UP!!!" at the top of his lungs. I'll never forget the look on their faces when he did that -- or on my wife's!

The concert in Gladbach in August 2012, when they started the show with "Welcome To Paradise"

• 1 month later...

I totally know how you feel, the same thing happened at the show I went to in Connecticut, and it really is magical. It's my favorite moment also.

yeah it was sooo awesome, I will never forget this moment :')

When the crowd said "eins zwei eins zwei drei vier" a trillion times in gladbach.

I would have to say a pretty cool moment was during the Chicago show in 2009. The day before, Billie had sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at the Chicago Cubs game (go White Sox!) and during their medley of covers in the middle of the set, Billie starting singing it again and had the crowd finish it. It was awesome! They then launched into Brain Stew which was fantastic!

Here's a video I found on YouTube from the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjr7mrWOqo

Man the first time I saw them in MN in July of 09. Just that whole experiencing was amazing. But I went out to Cali to visit my sister, who isn't a huge fan but came just to hang out, and saw them in August on, I think, the 31st. But there were two moments that stick out in my mind. Before playing Jesus of Suburbia Billie made a speech about growing up in a shitty small town and stuff that hit pretty close to home for me and my sister, we just kinda looked at each other like "fuck yes!" and really got into that moment of the song, but I gotta say the guy who was really drunk and got on stage at the same concert has to be my favorite. The whole night me and my sister kept laughing cause this guy was just dancing, drunk and alone, by himself and it was kinda awesome. Then Billie tells him to come on stage and he does.... the rest is in the video. It's awesome

http://youtu.be/4E8R1hEBMck

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say that my favorite moment would have to be when Billie wore my fugly ass beat to shit long jean jacket in 1997 during the Nimrod tour. It was a small venue and I was forced to be on the floor because I wasn't 21 at the time, and so the seating was only for 21 and over. Anywho, it was during a pre-Dookie song (I don't remember which one), and Billie said something along the lines of "Shit, it's cold in here. Someone hand me jacket". So peopel started throwing shirts, pants (yes pants haha), sweaters, scarves, etc. He just kept piling everything that he could fit on. Then I see my ripped up long jean jacket go flying up there. I was hysterically laughing at that point because Billie resembled a fat pidgeon. After he put my jacket on, he replied "nice jacket, I think I'll keep it." I still have that fugly jacket hanging up in the closet to this day haha. A close second would have to be again juring the nimrod tour, but at a different venue. My dad, a couple of friends, and I went to a radio festival where they played. During King For A Day, the whole stripping down to a leather thong thing happened. I was standing right next to my dad when Billie did that. Oh God, I though I was going to die of embarrassment. My only reaction was to point and laugh, as I had no idea what the fuck to do. When we got home after the show, my dad told my mom about it. Both of them still give me shit about it to this day.

ohmygod ohmygod my dads coming to see Green Day with me in April and thats exactly what I'm worried about oh well I dont think Billie gets that naked as much anymore..right?! :S:huh:

The confetti during the main set outro Minority really hit me hard. One of the best experiences i've ever had. Man that concert in Detroit was a good one! That whole night will always be legendary for me.

Well, as I've only been to one concert in 2009, I don't have that much to choose from. But one of my favorite parts was when they were all lying on the stage playing their instruments and Billie Joe shouted "This is the Green Day band drunk in Seattle!" I also really loved the very beginning when they weren't even on stage yet and Billie started singing Song of the Century before they stepped out. It was so haunting and beautiful! :wub:

At the Irving Plaza show back in September, during the climax of Holiday, Billie was up on a mid-level between the stage and the balcony: he turned around and soared back onto the crowd right next to me. It was like he was flying in slow motion. It was amazing.

ohmygod ohmygod my dads coming to see Green Day with me in April and thats exactly what I'm worried about oh well I dont think Billie gets that naked as much anymore..right?! :S:huh:

Nah, he doesn't go that far anymore. It's not uncommon to see his ass or the fake masturbation and some some sexual innuendos in there though.

Archived