Guitar picks straight from the studio - Idiot Club exclusive

Australian1diot

All of you moaning about it being US only, read the post they made on the IC forum. It explains everything.

http://idiotclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19671

The thing is, if it wasn't for the people moaning here no non-US resident would know that the IC is really targeted at an US-audience.

I know how complicated these contests are, I've once set up a contest to win an iPad and more little prices, but I know my target users are either Dutch or Belgian, so I make sure to follow the laws for these countries. The IC has a worldwide user base and nowhere they tell you that most things are US-only. That's kind of the biggest problem of the IC - they'll put up a message saying there's a "big announcement coming for all Idiots" and it ends up being an American tour. That's not that much of a big announcement for the non-US people (because it was general knowledge that there was a US tour coming, the only interesting things were the dates itself). They somehow should take better care of their non-US users in my opinion.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing is, if it wasn't for the people moaning here no non-US resident would know that the IC is really targeted at an US-audience.

I know how complicated these contests are, I've once set up a contest to win an iPad and more little prices, but I know my target users are either Dutch or Belgian, so I make sure to follow the laws for these countries. The IC has a worldwide user base and nowhere they tell you that most things are US-only. That's kind of the biggest problem of the IC - they'll put up a message saying there's a "big announcement coming for all Idiots" and it ends up being an American tour. That's not that much of a big announcement for the non-US people (because it was general knowledge that there was a US tour coming, the only interesting things were the dates itself). They somehow should take better care of their non-US users in my opinion.

I agree, it's not their fault if they can't offer contests to everyone for legal reasons but they should just be clear and upfront about it. If everyone was made well aware before they joined or as soon as a contest was announced then less people would be disappointed and less people would complain. I always make sure to post about it on the IC when this problem happens again, hopefully if enough people do the same they'll listen one day lol.

Edit: Oh my an IC representative has just responded to my suggestion about making the US only thing clear when they post a contest and when they post about upcoming contests on gd.com, and has said they'll do it! Have to wait and see if that happens of course but it's promising! Right I can stop moaning about the IC for a while now :D

so the UK and us contests wont be happening?

The pick contest is only for the US. They've said they're working on sorting out UK only contests for the future though. And they've just told me they'll work on being more clear about who contests are open to, which would be good. It's all in this thread on the IC, best to talk about the UK/international contests issues there rather than here since it doesn't directly relate to the pick contest (and it's more useful there since IC people might see it):

Well that took long enough. I entered....it would be nice if I won, but I never win Green Day related contests.

Well that took long enough. I entered....it would be nice if I won, but I never win Green Day related contests.

Being that negative it will be hard to win something :whistle

Good luck! :)

If you guys are upset about it being US only, I encourage you to post it in this Idiot Club topic. No need to spam up our topic with it. A lot more useful over there.

Damn I was just coming over here to post that announcement, as everyone seemed to miss and jumped straight to torches and picketing.

Sent my entry! Kinda cheated by giving my dad's adress because I'm not a resident as of now but I'll be in March! But they don't have to know that :ninja:

The pick contest is only for the US. They've said they're working on sorting out UK only contests for the future though. And they've just told me they'll work on being more clear about who contests are open to, which would be good. It's all in this thread on the IC, best to talk about the UK/international contests issues there rather than here since it doesn't directly relate to the pick contest (and it's more useful there since IC people might see it):

So the world consists of the US and the UK.... GREEEEEAAATT!!. Fucking pathetic

Good luck to those entering btw! I hope to see some GDCers winning.

So the world consists of the US and the UK.... GREEEEEAAATT!!. Fucking pathetic

I agree, but I guess they have to start somewhere if it's really only possible to have contests for one country at a time. Until they can sort it out for everyone I think the important thing is that they make sure people from other countries know that contests won't be available to them before they decide to join/whenever a contest is announced instead of being sneaky and misleading about it. Really hope they'll make some changes to address that.

Anyone annoyed by this issue should definitely post about this on the IC too rather than just here, I'm pretty sure the reason they finally added "(where applicable)" to their promise of having presales for shows on the sign up page was because of people complaining about the issue on the IC. Worth making a post over there whenever a problem like this comes up.

Wow, I'm not online for a little over 24 hours and the contest is on? :o Anyways. That was easy. I hope I'm one of the winners! :D

or contacting one of the mod team so we can pass this on. ;)

Even better :D

Wow, I'm not online for a little over 24 hours and the contest is on? :o Anyways. That was easy. I hope I'm one of the winners! :D

Bad news I'm afraid, the contest is only open to US members so your entry won't count unfortunately. Check out this thread on the IC for an explanation as to why contests are only for US members:

http://idiotclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19671&sid=5037cb18ac0b187906636698228e5f6a

Even better :D

Bad news I'm afraid, the contest is only open to US members so your entry won't count =/ . Check out this thread on the IC for an explanation as to why contests are only for US members:

http://idiotclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19671&sid=5037cb18ac0b187906636698228e5f6a

I know. I'm gonna move to the US in a week, so I entered with my new address. By the time they send them out, I'll be all settled in in my new home. :D

I know. I'm gonna move to the US in a week, so I entered with my new address. By the time they send them out, I'll be all settled in in my new home. :D

Ahh I see! Well that's excellent :D

Matt/Herminone: the link to the IC blog can only be seen if you have a username and password, which I don't. Could you give a brief overview of what it says for us non-members? Thanks. :)

Matt/Herminone: the link to the IC blog can only be seen if you have a username and password, which I don't. Could you give a brief overview of what it says for us non-members? Thanks. :)

I can't see any reason why not to post what's written there, so:

We know you guys keep asking why we can't do international contests. Please take a look at below. We are working with local counsel in the UK to try and do UK only contests soon. We are really sorry... but contesting laws are very strict and we need to make sure Green Day is running everything the proper way!
Check it out:
Contest law varies even more between different countries. If you were to open up a contest to people all over the world, you would have to research the law in every single country on earth, to avoid getting yourself in legal trouble. For a typical promotional contest, this is just too much work. The legal fees for the required research would be much more than the payoff of the promotion. Additionally, there are some problematic legal questions inherent in any international contest. For example, if something were to go wrong, -- say, the prize was lost in shipping -- what court would the contest winner go to? It would be a very tough legal question just figuring out who had jurisdiction.
After all, the typical rules and regulations of a contest running only in the United States take up 20 or so paragraphs. Just think how small a company would have to make the print to cover itself internationally!
Further reading:

So yeah as they've said before it's a legal thing. Nice to get a more detailed explanation though.

I can't see any reason why not to post what's written there, so:

So yeah as they've said before it's a legal thing. Nice to get a more detailed explanation though.

Thanks!

I'm really regretting getting IC membership (I mean, I didn't pay, but it was a waste of money for my aunt) It's a rip off if you aren't a US member. Other than that, you get the occasional interview and then once a tour you get tickets slightly earlier.

Alright, things are getting a bit too far off the topic of the pick contest now (and I'm partly to blame!). Let's keep this thread for talking about the contest, and if you wanna talk about the Idiot Club in general use the Idiot Club thread :)

I'm really regretting getting IC membership (I mean, I didn't pay, but it was a waste of money for my aunt) It's a rip off if you aren't a US member. Other than that, you get the occasional interview and then once a tour you get tickets slightly earlier.

Yeah, but actually the cost of the membership was $10 if you bought the boxset :lol:

Those videos with Mike were lovely, and it sucks that non-members couldn't see them. After all, most of the stuff end up on GD.com, so... :ermm:

EDIT: Oh sorry, I'll stop. Got nothing else to say about the contest, really... :sorry:

Archived