Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Where to Start With J-Rock, Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep
Hey y'all, for a while i've been kinda curious about j-rock but haven't a monkeys where to begin. It seems to be rarely mentioned in the alternative music press over here (or at least what i read of it). I really like the occasional opening/ending of anime shows, like that l'Arc~en~ciel song that is the first Fullmetal Alchemist opening, some of the Naruto opening/endings and a couple others. So yeah, know of any good bands? Of course, i might just end up finding most of j-rock REAL boring but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If ye happen to know of any good j-pop artists/songs, you can throw them in if you so wish... Though i really don't think most of it's my thing i'm willing to give that a try too.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,567 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,671 rep
Yui, asian kung fu generation, Miyavi.. If you just check out artists from anime openings/endings, you'll find a lot! :3

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,522 rep
the pillows are nice and entry level band since they're highly influenced by American bands like Nirvana and such. They're pretty light in places though. The good news with them is that you can find all of their albums on youtube in these here playlists. The pillows are most known for doing the music for FLCL, and that's the stuff I really really like by them, so you might want to check out Happy Bivouac, Runners High, and Little Busters.

On the complete opposite end is my favorite Japanese band Maximum the Hormone...they identify as J-Punk. While their style isn't everyone's cup of tea since it blends...everything including screamo and rap...they're pretty much never unexciting. Lemme just say this, the screamo style is much better when it's in a different language for whatever reason. The great thing about this band is that it's not an overdose of it either. They're amazing because they can switch styles mid song and make it work unlike anything I've seen elsewhere in the world. Plus their bassist is Japanese Flea, more or less. If you've seen Death Note, you might recognize this one.

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,514 rep
I listen to this band called FLOW. They're Japanese. They're rockish. Are they J-Rock? :lol:

They have some pretty cool jams.

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep
I love FLOW! I agree they have some really nice tunes. I don't know much about J-Rock, I only discover J-Rock bands when they do an anime opening that I like and then discover their albums.

I also like the Beat Crusaders (they did the opening for Kappa Mikey). But I think they broke up recently.

I know Maximum the Hormone from Death Note and I really like it when they sing or rap, but the screaming is just too much for me :lol: Even though I listen to some bands that have screaming like Linkin Park and Rise Against, but Maximum the Hormone is just way too heavy haha :runaround:

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,447 rep
I don't know if Dir en Grey counts...they're pretty heavy

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep
Thank you all! Will be sure to check these out when i get time today!

Yui, asian kung fu generation, Miyavi.. If you just check out artists from anime openings/endings, you'll find a lot! :3

Cheers! :D

the pillows are nice and entry level band since they're highly influenced by American bands like Nirvana and such. They're pretty light in places though. The good news with them is that you can find all of their albums on youtube in these here playlists. The pillows are most known for doing the music for FLCL, and that's the stuff I really really like by them, so you might want to check out Happy Bivouac, Runners High, and Little Busters.

On the complete opposite end is my favorite Japanese band Maximum the Hormone...they identify as J-Punk. While their style isn't everyone's cup of tea since it blends...everything including screamo and rap...they're pretty much never unexciting. Lemme just say this, the screamo style is much better when it's in a different language for whatever reason. The great thing about this band is that it's not an overdose of it either. They're amazing because they can switch styles mid song and make it work unlike anything I've seen elsewhere in the world. Plus their bassist is Japanese Flea, more or less. If you've seen Death Note, you might recognize this one.

I have never seen FLCL but have a strong desire to do so after just hearing the soundtrack. I'd watch it for that i think. Carnival <3
And yeah, i think there is something about hearing a song in a different language. Maybe with screamo, the language doesn't sound as annoying but i find that even not having a clue what the vocalist is singing about makes it more fun. If a song has no semantics for you then you're free to solely enjoy both the musical qualities of the instruments and the vocals. Kinda like when you hear that Sígur Rós guy sing in a made-up language that was devised just to sound musical. And perhaps to know what the lyrics mean would even be a disappointment in some cases.

I listen to this band called FLOW. They're Japanese. They're rockish. Are they J-Rock? http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...
They have some pretty cool jams.

Yeah, i'd say that's j-rock. The do an opening for the original Naruto anime, called GO!!! Real fun tune with interesting usage of Engrish!

I also like the Beat Crusaders (they did the opening for Kappa Mikey). But I think they broke up recently.

Thanks for that!

I don't know if Dir en Grey counts...they're pretty heavy

Hmmm... Have i heard that name before? Rings a bell. Never realized they were japanese!

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,975 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,514 rep

Yeah, i'd say that's j-rock. The do an opening for the original Naruto anime, called GO!!! Real fun tune with interesting usage of Engrish!

I don't watch Naruto (because it's absolutely terrible, but that's another story :whistle ) but their songs are openings for a few anime. Code Geass and Eureka Seven both have FLOW songs (E7 has two I think, not to mention the sequel's 2nd opening is a FLOW song) as their openings.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,567 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,671 rep
I forgot Flow and maximum the hormone :(

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep

I don't watch Naruto (because it's absolutely terrible, but that's another story http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... ) but their songs are openings for a few anime. Code Geass and Eureka Seven both have FLOW songs (E7 has two I think, not to mention the sequel's 2nd opening is a FLOW song) as their openings.

Ha, some of my friends glare at me for saying that the only good thing about Naruto is some of the opening/ending themes. BLASPHEMY! Watched the WHOLE original series, over 100 eps of filler and all, and then decided Shippuden would not be something i'd be watching.

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,522 rep
So today I discovered Stereopony and Unlimits and they're pretty awesome, seems like! What's with J-Rock bands and having girls in them? And why does America not do this?

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Tom's Other Lackey

• 3,594 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,430 rep
Buck-Tick are probably the best J-rock band in my opinion. You should definitely check them out! My sister is a raving fan of theirs and got me into some of their stuff, their early stuff in particular is their best. I'd say you check out the songs "Secret Reaction", "Romanesque", "Angelic Conversation", "Taboo", "...In Heaven..." and "Oriental Love Story" and then go from there.
  • Lady_Rufus and persons like this

persons

persons
  • Persons

• 3,278 posts
  • Joined Jan 03, 2009
  • 79 rep

Buck-Tick are probably the best J-rock band in my opinion. You should definitely check them out! My sister is a raving fan of theirs and got me into some of their stuff, their early stuff in particular is their best. I'd say you check out the songs "Secret Reaction", "Romanesque", "Angelic Conversation", "Taboo", "...In Heaven..." and "Oriental Love Story" and then go from there.

Yeah, Buck-Tick is definitely one of the J-rock bands you should start with! They're pretty cool! And Al's right, their early stuff is best, not too much of a fan of their stuff after Kurutta Taiyou.
  • Lady_Rufus and Big Cheese like this

Lady_Rufus

Lady_Rufus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined Mar 16, 2008
  • 208 rep

Thanks for all the suggstions. Have checked out Flow, Asian Kung Fu Generation, The Pillows, Miyavi and Maximum The Hormone. And a little bit of Beat Crusaders (Japanese Girl <3). The Pillows are like the japanese Weezer or something, and Miyavi's guitar playing is awesome (plus his look is pretty intriguing). Not keen on all of Maximum The Hormone's stuff but some of it is real fun. Like on Koi no Mega Lover, they go through like 5 genres in the one song. Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura etc. etc. is hilarious when you find out what those japanese sound-words mean. :happy: And dayum, that bass.

Yeah, Buck-Tick is definitely one of the J-rock bands you should start with! They're pretty cool! And Al's right, their early stuff is best, not too much of a fan of their stuff after Kurutta Taiyou.

Thanks, Buck Tick will be the next one i try out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users