How has your relationship to Green Day evolved?

mbk

^ Ah, congrats. :wub: Marrying Green Day is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

...I hope they're okay with polygamy. :lol:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Ah, congrats. :wub: Marrying Green Day is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

...I hope they're okay with polygamy. :lol:

Can i married Green Day too?? i think this is pretty serious now!!! :wub:

I always liked them but I guess I really started following them around American idiot, but it was about four years ago that I would say I became a superfan and that four years have been the best ever

• 4 weeks later...

Well when I first started college I had about 60 Green Day songs in my ipod.In my second semester I have over 150 and it keeps growing.I guess its cause I stopped listening to all the other crap I used to listened to and started listening to songs/artists that actually have meanings for me.(more complex music)

I always loved Green Day since I was 9 but my love for Green Day has grown bigger.Theres still a lot more songs I got to get into!

Right now were taking it slow, I don't want to rush into things.

This is a thing i always think about. I have been "official" fan of them since December of 2007. I remember before that my friend showed me this "amazing 9 minute and something more song" called Jesus of Suburbia. I remember i was like yeah, they are so good! I didn't know English very well so i couldn't understand some words. After that i met them with Boulevard of Broken Dreams + Holiday..I was amused and everything...I must admit i was a Billie Joe fangirl.. INSANE fangirl. Don't get me wrong, i still fan-girling over them but i guess back then (i was about 14 maybe) it was WAY too much and i dont like it now in that way *cough* hormones *cough*. With time i started to listen to all the discography, knowing facts and stuff and i realized i liked them a lot. My love for them is different now..The way i see the lyrics now is different, also the albums.. i guess its because the things i have been through and that but im glad they are with me and now they are not just a band..they are more like an inspiration to me and i guess im not the only one that have been saved by them and have learnt things because of them. I guess it all became stronger when i saw them live for the first time..it was awesome! There was a point in all of this that i got "tired" of listening to them and started listening to some other bands and stuff, then every once in a while i listened to some random song of them and it reminded me how much i love their music. Also i have met great people over the world n_n. I have lot to say about this but i won't write it cause i will get way too cheesy and i have already wrote it in my blog :rolleyes:

I feel like Billie was right when he said that this band wanted to grow-old with his fans. I think i am growing old with them :shy:

I've been listening to them since the Nimrod era and until 2005 or so I checked them regularly. After that I expanded my musical horizons, started playing in a stoner/psychedelic band and kind of forgot about Green Day for a long while. I am not a big fan of 21st Century Breakdown and only briefly listened to the record. However, I enjoy the trilogy and that made me come back and listen to them a lot more than in the past 5 years.

This is a thing i always think about. I have been "official" fan of them since December of 2007. I remember before that my friend showed me this "amazing 9 minute and something more song" called Jesus of Suburbia. I remember i was like yeah, they are so good! I didn't know English very well so i couldn't understand some words. After that i met them with Boulevard of Broken Dreams + Holiday..I was amused and everything...I must admit i was a Billie Joe fangirl.. INSANE fangirl. Don't get me wrong, i still fan-girling over them but i guess back then (i was about 14 maybe) it was WAY too much and i dont like it now in that way *cough* hormones *cough*. With time i started to listen to all the discography, knowing facts and stuff and i realized i liked them a lot. My love for them is different now..The way i see the lyrics now is different, also the albums.. i guess its because the things i have been through and that but im glad they are with me and now they are not just a band..they are more like an inspiration to me and i guess im not the only one that have been saved by them and have learnt things because of them. I guess it all became stronger when i saw them live for the first time..it was awesome! There was a point in all of this that i got "tired" of listening to them and started listening to some other bands and stuff, then every once in a while i listened to some random song of them and it reminded me how much i love their music. Also i have met great people over the world n_n. I have lot to say about this but i won't write it cause i will get way too cheesy and i have already wrote it in my blog :rolleyes:

I feel like Billie was right when he said that this band wanted to grow-old with his fans. I think i am growing old with them :shy:

This is completely off topic, but I just want to say I love, love, love your gif signature. It's the best Billie dance I've seen in a while (yes, better than sheperd's bush).

I've been a fan since American Idiot and I listened a lot to them back then. Well, it took 5 more years to release 21st Century Breakdown which is why I discovered lots of other good bands in the meantime.

21st Century Breakdown was a huge disappointment in my opinion, I still attended two shows though, one in 2009 and one in 2010 and I was blown away. I really enjoyed Awesome as Fuck and loved what they were doing with their setlists so that I listened to them a lot again. Mostly their old stuff or live shows though.

Well, they went back into the studio and I hoped they would go back to their roots with the new record. They announced the trilogy and I remember being very skeptical, especially after the release of Oh Love. I still went to the Berlin show last year and it was still pretty amazing, but then the three albums came. I like Uno, but the rest is pure crap in my opinion :( How often did I listen to Tre? Maybe three times...

They don't release good music anymore which makes me pretty sad, but there's nothing I can change about it. I'd still probably go and see them live (depends on the setlist), but I'm not that much into them anymore. There are lots of other bands I enjoy listening to more.

I'll always be a Green Day fan, no matter what. They got me into music, gave me hope for life's troubles and got me through the otherside. However, my music tastes have evolved as I've got older, other favourites include Rammstein, Bullet for my Valentine, Yashin, Disturbed etc. For me, my relationship with Green Day has got to the point where I can go a while without listening to their songs, but always find myself having to have a big listening sesh with my CDs. I've still got my posters on my wall (in the same place as where I placed them in 2005). One of the posters is torn over Tre's face... damn cat ripped it when trying to open the door handle of my room. I have the Kerplunk flower logo tattooed on my neck, and whenever people compliment it, I'm always quick to tell them it's a Green Day tattoo, which normally spikes a conversation over what songs are our favourites.

I'm addicted to seeing them play live. Even if I'm broke or have vowed to save my money, I'll find a way to make it to their shows on each tour. For me, seeing them live can't be beaten. From the music, to the bands energy, and seeing familiar faces in the crowd, their shows are so memorable years down the line. That's where my relationship with the band is. Memorable, yet current and still enjoyable. I hope it never ends.
[/cheesyness].

Got into the band back in 97 when I saw the video of Hitchin A Ride. Bought Nimrod that christmas year and insomniac. Rest has been history. What makes me a fan of the band is the fact that if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have gotten into other bands. Old school rock such as the beatles, led zeppelin or metallica. Furthermore because of the chances they took, I also became open to hip hop that makes you think. Aka wu tang, nas, rakim, boogie down productions. So its one of those things that with any type of music. I would think that if Green Day open to trying different things, they can help you broaden your horizons on different music to an extent. The person I was back in 97 would have not listened to hip hop that I listen to now nor NIN or linkin park for that matter.

This is completely off topic, but I just want to say I love, love, love your gif signature. It's the best Billie dance I've seen in a while (yes, better than sheperd's bush).

hahaha! n_n well thank you! that's an old dance of him :P it is from 1992 :)

The release of Boulevard of Broken Dreams brought me to GD :happy: I loved this song so much, that I (my parents) bought me the single, so I listened to it every day.

I had a lot of posters hanging in my room, mainly from BJA. I found him so beautiful and I loved him so much :wub::wub: (like now)

After few years I listened a few other bands/singers (like TH :dry: ) SADLY :angry

Afterwards I started to listen to GD again, I fall in love with them again more than before :wub::wub::wub::wub:

NOW I'm a HUGE fan of them and love them over all

And BJA :wub::wub::wub::wub:

It would be long if I were to explain mine... well. So, it all started when I was 12 or so when my friend made me listen to American idiot- not the whole AI album but the song-. I really liked it, but didn't go any further. I was barely a music fan back then anyway.(which I can't survive a day without now) and... after about a month or so, I heard the same song being played at a store. I looked up American idiot, found out it was made by some band called Green Day, and listened to it for more than six damn months. and when I say six months, I mean it. with one album. (and yes, I am VERY slow at listening to something new or becoming a real fan of a certain musician.) That was the point where I googled 'Green day' and looked at there profile. I didn't even know their names until then. And everyone knows how it advances from there- just the typical thing- look up their old stuff, get confused for a moment, start to like that, have 21cb and aaf released, watch live concert video, look up pics, join GDC, and then...someone says BOOM. I've got a good news. You're a diehard fan now and your homework will not get done because of Green day. and than... the same thing until a few months ago, listening to their songs over and over again.

And that's when I really started to enjoy music itself. I started to listen to other bands, and the relationship with GD slightly decreased as I got into other bands- mainly MCR and similar stuff. I still love Green day the most, though.

To what I remember the first time I heard them was around American Idiot had came out. It was summer and me and my friend were in her familys car driving back home. I think she had the songs on a cd or the radio was on. I was probably about 11 years old and my friend was a fan of theirs so she had posters of them and we listened to the music. As I was young I didn't really undersand what they were singing but I started to read about them and play the music on youtube. I really loved Good Riddance and Macy's Day Parade (which is my favorite song). I didn't like Brain Stew at all! I thought that the video was just weird an ugh.. Ha. I remember watching their music videos and being all dreamy... I thought I would never see them live because of where I live. At 6 grade I kept a presentation about their history and played Letterbomb.

As years went on I got more and more into it, but at some point I kinda forgot them. I remember this because when 21 Century Breakdown was coming or came out I kinda "found them again." ( I don't think I ever really forgot them though... I guess?) Anyways, the cd came out and I got it. Then, 2010, I was reading someting and BOOM! There was people talking that they migh come here and that the band decision (there were other band names mentioned so we were waiting who they picked) would be announced soon. I was at school that day and went on the internet to check it out. I can in all honesty and shame tell you that I was shouting and jumping in happiness. Then came the horrible time of waiting for the tickets and it's the worst time ever. My hands were sweating and I was tryng to be as fast as I could. I think I got the tickets 9:03. I was so god damn happy. The show was in the summer and it really has been one of the happiest times in my life. It made me feel so alive. Tré was shooting the crowd with water but it didn't reach to me and I was trying to move foward, which he noticed, and pointed it at me. When I looked back to the stage he looked right into my eyes and got a huge smile on his face and turned to look at Mike or Billie Joe.. This show actually brought me and that girl back to friends!

Since then I have been constantly checking the news and their music. It means a lot to me, though I don't think that the trilogy is the best shit they have made. I guess I was little disappointed when I got the cds and listened to them.. But I think this is one of those times when I need time to get more into it. Like with Brain Stew, at first it didn't hit me but later it did. I'm still planning to get a small lyric tattoo on my leg when I have the money and time.

Oh, and these guys are one of the only ones I still listen to from those days.

Sorry if this is too long!

The first time when I hear Basket Case, I instantly liked them

and I liked all their other songs,

but now that I got older and experienced more things in life I can actually relate to allmost all of their songs.

Well growing up as a kid I knew all of the singles & music videos from the 90s from MTV and the radio and my parents and all that...

I really started to get into them in 2004 (yes, when AI came out, I know I know)... I was like 10 though, a baby.

But really diving in and getting into the music kind of broadened my horizons to music in general and everything. I remember reading billie joe quotes about bisexuality and about women and I found it enlightening.

When I was like... 12 & 13 I went through some traumatic deaths of loved ones and I had lots of GD on my mp3 player at the time and would cry and listen.

Around 13/14 I got into collecting all of my favorite bands music and knowing every song and being all obsessive... So yeah. From then on, listen to their music constantly..... get merch... go to the shows. My relationship with Green Day now is just a great admiration and love for the art. The music. When I was younger it was more of a fixation.. "omg BJ is soooo hawt L0L" on myspace kind of thing. Ahahah. Kiddin, guys. but yeah now they're just one of my favorite bands... I really enjoy the concert. They're great people. I just loooove the music. I feel like they evolve and I evolve too and connect to their music in different ways and at the same time they're just music I like.

My boyfriend (@stuffismessedup) & I will be going out for 4 years this year- we kind of started talking on the basis of him seeing I was into cool music on my myspace and deciding to say hey whats up to me. We go to the shows together and everything. At the Pomona show we were both rocking out together and I'd hold his hand and we'd have quick kissys between songs. So I also have like a 3 way relationship with GD and my BF too cause it's like we both really love Green Day and it's sweet that we enjoy them together.

But yeah! That's how it's revolved. Got into them when I was tiny, was a fan girl for a while, now I have a deep love for the music and how it's been there for me growin up. There's also a stage in our 'relationship' that was solely Green Day rock band. Ahahaha.

• 2 weeks later...

At first I watched 21guns video and I really enjoyed it

so I listend to 21st cenyury breakdown album and it was great

since then i became a greenday fan :D :)

I am a fan since American Idiot. This album was awesome to me. I listened some old songs before, and I liked them, but when I listened AI, I had to hear all their albums. My fangirling is in his big point now, and now I'm here, waiting for a Barcelona date like crazy. And that's all. :happy:

I first heard Green Day back in '99-'00 with Minority and Good Riddance. Then I lost focus. My friend in the 7th grade showed me American Idiot. I fell in love. Lost interest again til 10th grade. Bought International Superhits. Cranked JAR and Pop Rocks and Coke on full blast and constantly. My sister then made me a copy of American Idiot, Dookie, Nimrod, and 21STCB. They definitely help me expand my music tastes. At one point I would not listen to anything but GD. But then Evanescence came out with their 3rd studio album, i've lost some interest in green day. But don't get me wrong, I love me some Green Day.

i definitely can relate to some of Green Day's songs. Most of my people who didn't know i loved green day were more distant, and yes i lost friends because of my fangirling hahah. but screw them. It's their loss.

I got into Green Day by accident actually, I was choosing myself an album for my birthday present and in the store there was a place where you could listen to them and by accident I took Green Day with myself and decided to give it a try. I fell in love with the first sounds and had to buy it. It was in American Idiot era and people said it was Green Day’s big comeback and I remember thinking “woah, those guys were on the radio all the time!” even though I couldn’t recall any of their older songs.

It was pretty intense for me for first couple of years, because I met my best friend through some Green Day forum and together we were OBSESSED. I used to buy all of the newspapers which had even a tiny picture of them and stuff like that.

Then it wore off a bit, mostly because of 5 years of waiting for 21stCB. When this album came out we went absolutely insane all over again and I saw them for the first time at Wembley and it was huge experience for me. Actually I don’t think that anything else in the world could trigger so many emotions in me, like that night did.

I’m seeing them again in three months and it’s gonna be even better, because I will finally see them in my own country. Really can’t wait for that.

I don’t even refer to them as my “favourite” band. It’s a bit of understatement for me, because they are much more than that. I can have many favourite bands, but I will always feel Green Day is above them, even if in that hypothetical moment I don’t listen to them so intensely. And even when it is like that, no matter what happens, I always smile when I hear them :D . Huh, it sounds really cheesy, but they just automatically set off all the positive emotions and it’s absolutely great.

• 2 months later...

Welll actaully that is quite a story haha, I love this question :)

It all started when I was like 14 or 15 or something and we had to do a presentation for English class at school, I had to be a presentation about a song and back in the days I didn't liked music at all (I actually just disliked all the music on the radio). A friend of mine did his presentation about the song American Idiot, at first I was felt unsure but later on I started to listen to it more and more I really started to like the song. I went on the internet (on LimeWire xD) to search for some songs of Green Day and found out about songs like, Basket Case, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Boulevard Of Brokendreams and Minority and especially Minority caught my attention, I really love(d) it and started searching Youtube for all kind of Green Day songs. At a certain point I decided to go to a store in the centre of Rotterdam (Media Markt) where I bought my first album American Idiot, I kept playing and playing it and after some time I decided to go back and buy another one (I guess that was Dookie) and so on an so forth untill I bought all of the albums on CD. When I started to notice I like collecting them I told myself to stop after buying the albums, I couldn't be spending to much money (cause I didn't have that much). After about a 1 or 2 years when I started to collect Green Day albums I found out they were to release a new one (21st Century Breakdown) and I decided not to wait a second and went to the local recordstore to buy the album on the release date. While waiting in line for the pay desk I noticed something Green Day-ish was right there, it was the new single Know Your Enemy and it was only €5,- (about $6,50) and I decided to buy it. After that I bought 21 Guns, 21st Century Breakdown and Last of the American Girls, untill I found out about a second hand store in the centre of Rotterdam selling singles of Green Day for like 1 or 2 euro each, that's where I bought my first non-21st Century Breakdown single Stuck With Me. Christmas that year I asked for the Ultimate 7" single box of Green Day and since then I started collecting vinyl. About a month ago I first ordered cassettes (Dookie and Insomniac) and well I couldn't be more happy with my collection.

For short I can say it has not only been the music itself which made me love Green Day so much, it was also the magic of having a Green Day album. The super sweet album artworks and so on.

These days I was thinking about having a Green Day tattoo (the pock watch of 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours)

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to be the weirdest one you have read. :ninja: But I never told it before and now that I'm recalling it, I think it's amusing. :eyebrows:

I used to have this strange ability to remember everything until anxiety slightly lowered my capabilities in early 20s; so I remember the exact day I got into Green Day: 09th February 1995. A Thursday.

I had done my homework and, since I was in the afternoon shift in school that week, I had a lot of time to wait until I go to classes, so I turned on the TV...and changed channels solely to end up hearing somebody singing about changing channels and actually changing the channels. At first, what caught my eye was the silly dog cartoon the person was watching, the second was the person themselves; due to looking so young that I couldn't determine how many years older they actually were and due to unusually dramatic eyes. Yup, that was BJ in Longview.

Later the same day, I saw the Basket Case video, too. I liked the song and video more; but both stuck in my mind. My English at the time was so basic that I thought Longview meant longitude and basket case would be a case where one uh...holds the baskets?! In both cases, I was wondering why on Earth would anybody sing about those things. The only lines I understood and remembered were "I am one of those melodramatic fools" and "my mother says to get a job". Funny how they stuck with me.

Given that I was a strange little girl, I ORDERED myself not to listen to music that seemed too "violent"; so I spent the next two and half months going away to the bathroom or corridor each time one of their videos was on. I think it was some sort of a self-defense mechanism, to avoid getting into what was to become a long-term celebrity crush.

Then there was the European premiere of When I Come Around music video and I was hooked. The song was my favourite out of three and well, the video, y'know... :wub: I was finding excuses to watch it around my two closest friends and talk to them about it in a strange way: I made up a story about how Jason and his then-girlfriend were actually one of my friends and Rambo Petković, the football player she had a crush on.

The other friend upset me a week or so afterwards; by telling me of Billie's stage stripteases and once again, since I was a strange little girl, I remember being upset. I also thought that Maria Guzenina, then MTV VJ, now a Finnish politician, had a crush on the entire band, no more, no less.

I was keeping my crush a secret from my friends until they have provoked me into showing me some nude-rude photos from BRAVO to which I blushed, hid my head, panicked and all of that shit that little girls usually do. From then on, I was preoccupied that they would tell everybody. Subsequently, over the course of next year, everybody knew about me and my Green Day/BJ obsession, but they were not teasing me, apart from occasional times when they would call me Adrienne (!) or when they would promise me posters and magazines that didn't even exist.

I got my copy of Dookie in January 1996, as it took me a long time not to be embarrassed to buy it. I was so cute and harmless that I thought the pirate cassette seller on the street would ask me if I wanted Take That instead. The same day, one of those two friends got herself a copy of Insomniac, so since we were poor kids in a poor country, we copied each others' tapes. I think my friends weren't into Green Day at all, they were just trying to make a connection with me, as they thought I was left out for not having a local football player as a celebrity crush. Yup, we were really weird in all possible ways. :bunny:

I had this page in my diary where I would write down whenever I'd see a Green Day music video or interview on TV. We had no VCR, so sometimes it was quite an effort to catch them.

When the guys cut their tour short that spring and the magazines were giving missleading quotations on how they would never play live, I was really sad. Then it turned out to be a"1 year break". I kept counting the days for one year. In 1997, as Nimrod was slowly becoming reality, I was driving my two friends mad, as I would stop by every single seller of foreign magazines in the street to look for information. When the album came out, there were interviews and reviews everywhere, and I had no money, so I would always leave my schoolbag with the seller and take the magazine to the copy shop.

I was usually doing this on Fridays and calling that "going hunting". I'd walk from my high school to the very centre of the city and mom's office, passing 4-5 magazine sellers on my way. Then we'd go to the supermarket and pick something nice and take our trolley bus home. I remember dad being pissed off when we'd be late because of me and my Green Day magazine articles obsession. :pinch: However, he was always pleased to see me with English and German dictionaries and a notebook where I was translating everything to. Frankly, I think that's how my English got this good.

I was also pissed off that they're not coming to then-FR Yugoslavia. And my parents weren't willing to take me to shows in Slovenia and Hungary. :thumbsdown: They were telling me that "it will pass me" and that "there was no use spending money on that".

In May 1998, a friend revealed to me that she had an Internet connection, which was quite expensive, slow and dial-up only back then. I begged her to use it and look for photos of Green Day and various other information about them.

By this time, I got an original Insomniac cassette in Bekescsaba, CD of Nimrod in Gyula, Kerplunk! in Budapest and my mom brought me Dookie, BBBPP and the Redundant single from Berlin. The only thing I still had on a pirate cassette was 1039, as it was impossible to find at that time.

And then, it all got quiet. I got into Formula 1 and that was taking waaaay too much of my attention. I kept on listening to Green Day throughout highs chool and university (I even knew somebody who was friends with me just to talk about them and at school she was pretending not to know me), I was joining forums and LiveJournal communities as I was using the Internet more and more; I had fanlistings for a couple of their albums in early 2000s, but my dedication just wasn't that intense. When they were back in the spotlight in 2004, I had a lot of problems with my health and the university, and I was catching up with John Frusciante's numerous albums publiished that year; so I would only catch a video or two every now and then.

However, when a former online friend from USA told me to ask her for any CD I want that's not yet available in FRY, I asked for American Idiot. I remember her going: "Yuck, a John Frusciante fan likes that stupid pseudo-punk band?" I was like: "I've been into them since I was 12." And I think her opinion of me lowered at that point. Blah.

I wanted to see them in 2004-05 and 2009, but at that point, we needed a visa to enter almost all European countries and I didn't want to go through that. Visas were abolished one month after their 2009 Vienna show and I knew there would be more stuff to come; but then dad got ill and died of cancer. That made me go completely out of the loop, to the point I was not aware of a bunch of things happening here, even though I was receiving the official newsletter for about six years at that point.

The announcement of the 27th May show in my city got me slightly interested and by the time the tour started, I was hooked again! The show just made me even more hooked. :yay:

So?

My relationship to Green Day started as an innocent little girl crush on a "bad boy" and it got me through the 90s, was sort of tamed through the noughties and then it suddenly came back, with a twist, in 2013, as a story that needed a happy ending - finally seeing their shows and making friends with their fans; and having the music and lyrics as the main force. I think it's really, really interesting when a band or an artist is present throughout one's growing up like this.

To be honest before I started listening to Green Day I used to listen to pop music and shit like that. Then around 2009 I saw some promo thing for Know Your Enemy so I went and clicked on it. I listened to it probably about 50 times that day. I then started clicking links to their other music and I thought it was great. As time went on I listened to Green Day more and more until I was addicted and they were the only band I would listen to. I loved all their music and knew the words to probably about every single song. In like September of 2012 I thought that it was kinda weird that Green Day was pretty much the only music I listened to and stopped listening to much, but I started listening to other bands that influenced them or they said that they liked. I really liked that music to and started listening to it more than Green Day. I thought that maybe I had outgrown Green Day at that point, and that they would only be a band I would listen to every once in a while. I eventually started getting more and more back into them recently, and have fallen even more in love with their music now. I feel like now I relate more to the music and understand what Billie is saying in it. Green Day has made me strive to try and accomplish so many things in my life, and be my own individual. I owe everything to Green Day and I will love them forever.

I enjoyed so much reading this, i really love your story! :wub::hug:

Archived