Most underrated/under appreciated Green Day song on each album

desecrator09

This is an awesome idea for a thread, and I will give justification:

1039 - 16 - the song has a great beat and the lyrics are amazing. I hear those lyrics and really can't believe he wrote them when he was a teenager, what a precursor for things to come

Kerplunk - One of My Lies - I actually hear a bit of Basket Case in it and ditto what I said about the lyrics to 16.

Dookie - Is there an underrated song on Dookie? I will have to go with Emenius Sleepus. Again, good beat, the lyrics really touch home. I had a best friend in the beginning of HS who took a really bad turn and this song reminds me of her.

Insomniac - Armatage Shanks - it starts out with a cool drum solo. I think its much better than Jaded, which I am not a fan of.

Nimrod - The Grouch - I grew up next to him. It cracks me up because I swear Billie wrote this song about my neighbor

Warning - First, I think this whole record is underrated. But if I had to pick a song Hold On - I love when they use an instrument that you don't usually hear them use. I know its only a harmonica, but it sounds really cool on this song. Again, I'm being redundant, but the lyrcis kick ass.

American Idiot, - Whatsername - I think it is by far the best song on the album. I love the melody, his vocals are outstanding. The song is just mesmerizing.

21st Century Breakdown - Horseshoes and Handgrenades - The song just kicks ass, my favorite, it gets up and move from moment and doesn't stop moving until the end.

Uno - Hard to tell but I will go with Fell for You - great beat and I love when they start the song with an instrument other than a guitar.

Dos - Fuck Time - I am girl and I llove this song, great beat, lots of passion

Tre - The Forgotten, - Yes, I know its sappy and it was in one of the worst movies ever, but his vocals are so gorgeous.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I just edited my post from yesterday with more explainations

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much what Al said. The songs listed below aren't necessarily my favourite songs...just songs I find the most under-rated.

1,039 Smoothed out Slappy Hours - Green Day

Kerplunk - Android

Dookie - Pulling Teeth

Insomniac - Bab's Uvula Who?

Nimrod - Either Reject (because I think this song should have been a really popular single or something) or Prosthetic Head

Warning - Fashion Victim

American Idiot - Give me Novacaine (my favourite Green Day song)

21st Century Breakdown - Before the Lobotomy

Uno - Fell for You

Dos - Wild One

Tre - Missing You

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but whatever

1039: Disappearing boy. It stuck out to me when I first listened to the album.

Kerplunk: WWHC. I love this song. the lyrics, the music, great.

Dookie: Pulling Teeth. I love the beginning.

Insomniac: Brat: I love the fast paced beat this song has.

Nimrod: Scattered. Wonderful beat.

Warning: Church on Sunday. Once again, it stuck out to me.

Shenanigans: Rotting: I love the music.

American Idiot: Letterbomb. I love the way it sounds

21st Century Breakdown: Restless Heart Syndrome/Know Your Enemy. I loved Know Your Enemy back when it came out, and RHS pulled at my heartstrings.

Uno: Rusty James: I love the lyrics.

Dos: Baby Eyes: Probably my favorite out of all the underrated songs I put here, the underground feel to it is so good. Also, "I am the motor in your crashing car" gets me every time. Fun fact: in the demolicious version, God bless your fuckin soul was god bless your lovely soul.

Tre: A Little Boy Named Train: during the first listen, it stuck out as the best song. (Until I got to Dirty Rotten Bastards.)

talking about underrated green day songs is always a great idea.

39/smooth :evey song.but Rest is not played live.

Kerplunk: One of my lies . or android

Dookie : Sassafras Roots . despite common belief, i think this song is not a filler,it's one of the best.

Insomniac : I'm gonna go with one of the singles ,Stuck with me. 

Nimrod : every song other than good riddance. But especially the grouch,uptight.

Warning : Macy's day parade .

American idiot : letterbomb is underrated but this album is not underrated so i don't really know.

21st century breakdown: Murder city.

Uno: Rusty James . 

Dos: Lazy Bones.

Tre : X-kid . i love this song. i really love it and i think it's one of the most underrated songs of this decade.

• 5 weeks later...

Man! I've been waiting for something like this!

39 smooth: 16

kerplunk: 2000 light years away (don't know if this one is considered underrated)

Dookie: F.O.D:dance:

Insomniac: Walking Contradiction 

Nimrod: Worry Rock

Warning: waiting 

shenanigans: ha ha you're dead:banana:

american Idiot: give me Novocaine

21st century breakdown: 21st century breakdown

uno: nuclear family 

39/ Smooth: The Judges Daughter

Kerplunk: One For The Razorbacks

Dookie: Having A Blast

Insomniac: Armatage Shanks (although most of the album tbh)

Nimrod: The Grouch/ Platypus

Warning: Deadbeat Holiday

American Idiot: Homecoming

21st Century Breakdown: American Eulogy

Uno: Nuclear Family

Dos: Wow That's Loud

Tre: Drama Queen

Mine would be...

1039 SOSH: At the Library 

I love it as the intro to the full album, it gets me pumped.

Kerplunk: I think Android is great but pretty underrated

I really relate to the lyrics

Dookie: Sassafras Roots

I never hear anyone talking about this song, I love it mostly because of the bass haha

Insomniac: Stuart and the Ave.

I love the lyrics, i think they throw a lot of shade. And same with the bass.

Nimrod: All The Time

This song is really fun to me

Warning: Church on Sunday

This chorus has always seemed so catchy, it doesn't get enough love

Shenanigans: Do Da Da

My favorite song on this B-Side compilation, it's so cute and simple

American Idiot: Letterbomb

It goes back to their roots to me and really modernizes their punk influence. 

21st Century Breakdown: Static Age

A lot of songs I like on here seem pretty underrated but i think Static Age is really awesome and no one seems to really be into it. It's an overall good song, the only complaint i have is the chorus over and over at the end.

Uno: Sweet 16

I really like this songs tone, it's chill but really deep

Dos: Stray Heart

It's my favorite song in the album, I'm not sure if it's really "underrated" (it's a little hard to pinpoint what songs are underrated on mostly unsuccessful albums) but i know the video sure was. I loved the idea of the video and even though Green Day were not in it, it was a good idea.

Tre: 8th Ave Serenade

I just can't skip this song and Missing You, but i think this one seems the less liked. It fits the tone of the album well and while it's not a mindblowing track, it for sure is a catchy tune.

5 hours ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

This chorus has always seemed so catchy, it doesn't get enough love

21st Century Breakdown: Static Age

A lot of songs I like on here seem pretty underrated but i think Static Age is really awesome and no one seems to really be into it. It's an overall good song, the only complaint i have is the chorus over and over at the end.

Church on Sunday and Static Age are two of my all time favorite GD songs.  You are not alone.

Loss of Control isn't half as bad as it's believed to be. In fact it's killer live. Just listen to the Quatro snippet. 

39/smooth: Green Day, I got so happy when I saw they recently played it live

1,000 Hours: Dry Ice, always been one of my favorites.

Slappy: 409 In Your Coffeemaker, this song just fucking kicks ass.

Kerplunk!: No One Knows, used to always listen to this during school and I loved every second of it. Great memories doing that.
Sweet Children: My Generation, never hated this song as much as a lot of people, but back in the day I loved to listen to this track.

Dookie: Sassafras Roots, at first I thought it was just sort of okay, but it's grown on me a lot over the past 5 million Dookie listens.

Insomniac: Stuart and the Avenue, another that's always been a favorite of mine.

Nimrod: Uptight, I think this song itself represents Nimrod very well. Again, another all time favorite of mine.

Warning: Castaway, just so fun to listen to. Whenever I think about this song, I always think about being on a jetski for some reason. Anyone else get that feeling?

Shenanigans: Outsider, for the longest time I didn't know this was a cover, but I still love it.

American Idiot: Extraordinary Girl, when I first got American Idiot this was easily my favorite and the song I listened to the most. Might still be my favorite on the album.

21st Century Breakdown: American Eulogy. Personally, not a huge 21CB fan and I think there's a fair bit of filler on it, but this is one of the songs on it I really like!

Uno: Loss of Control, as someone said before, the Cuatro live performance of this song is fucking rad. Not a huge fan of the studio version though.

Dos: Lazy Bones. One of the songs I actually give a shit about here.

Tré: Missing You, I used to think the first 8 songs on this album were great, but then I realized that not all of them were. This is one of the ones I still think is great.

1039 - I Was There

Kerplunk - No One Knows

Dookie - Having A Blast

Insomniac - Panic Song

Nimrod - Uptight

Warning - Hold On

AI - She's A Rebel

21St Century Breakdown - Restless Heart Syndrome

Uno -Troublemaker 

Dos - Makeout Party

Tre - Little Boy Named Train

• 3 months later...
On October 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Marrymebilliejoe said:

1039: Don't Leave Me (I say this one because it just happens to be one of my favorites! But I think it has a classic Green Day that everyone would love)

Kerplunk: One of my Lies

Dookie: Coming Clean (has one of my favorite opening lyrics..17 and strung out on confusion!)

Insomniac: Bab's Uvula who?

Nimrod: Scattered (I think it's super catchy!)

Warning: ALL OF THESE SONGS WERE! But if I had to pick one..Hold On..love me that harmonica ;)

American Idiot: Homecoming (everyone was so focused on Jesus of Suburbia)

21st century Breakdown: Peacemaker (has one of my favorite beats)

UNO: Carpe Diem

• 2 weeks later...

1039: I Was There

Kerplunk: No One Knows

Dookie: Emenius Sleepus

Insomniac: 86

Nimrod: All The Time

Warning: Macy's Day Parade

American Idiot: Whatsername

21st Century Breakdown: The Static Age

Uno: Carpe Diem

Dos: Stray Heart

Tre: 99 Revolutions

On 19.01.2016 at 0:11 AM, tacobellfan456 said:

Warning: Castaway, just so fun to listen to. Whenever I think about this song, I always think about being on a jetski for some reason. Anyone else get that feeling?

castaway sounds like a song made for car vacations

39/Smooth: Rest. It shouldn't fit, but it totally does.

Kerplunk: Private Ale. I forget the song exists at times, but it's so fucking catchy.

Dookie: Sassafras Roots and Emenius Sleepus. Side B rips, but it's (understandably) overshadowed by side A.

Insomniac: Armatage Shanks. What better way to begin an album like Insomniac?

Nimrod: Prosthetic Head. Even better than the Eyeball song of the same name (which is pretty damn good).

Warning: Misery. I honestly hate the song, but from an objective standpoint it's great for what it is.

Shenanigans: I Wanna Be On TV. It's clear that Green Day doesn't fit quite right playing hardcore, but it's a good cover. 

American Idiot: She's a Rebel. Even on their big arena rock album, they found a place to put a simple Ramones-y punk song.

21st Century Breakdown: Murder City. It's just a quick burst of energy to keep the middle section from being too plodding and slow.

Uno: Rusty James. Fittingly for the lyrics, it harks back to their old sound while still driving forward.

Dos: Lady Cobra. The song named after her is infinitely better than the song in which she's featured.

Tre: Walk Away. Pulling off a dramatic key change in such simple music is mad impressive.

• 1 month later...

Lazy bones is a hugely, hugely underrated song.  With proper promotion it could have been massive.  IMO it's the second best song on the trilogy, but I never hear anyone else talking about it.

1 hour ago, Second favourite son said:

Lazy bones is a hugely, hugely underrated song.  With proper promotion it could have been massive.  IMO it's the second best song on the trilogy, but I never hear anyone else talking about it.

Absolutely agreed. Catchy music and personal, relate-able lyrics. It could have absolutely been huge.

1039: Road To Acceptance, great lyrics and bass tone!

Kerplunk!: One of My Lies, remember me something of Dookie

Dookie: Having a Blast, one of my favorites songs all time (not just GD)

Insomniac: Westbound Sing, highlight song about "how I'm living vs. how I'd like to live"

Nimrod: Nice Guys Finish Last, I know its a success but I like it SO MUCH I can't believe it's not like an anthem for guys my age

Warning: Castaway, because I feel like dancing and smashing faces around while listening to it

American Idiot: Whatshername, the song I only here about at GDC, outside here know one knows

21st Century Breakdown: See the Light, have you EVER listened 21stCBD untill the end? It's a fucking great song, great vocals, sing a long catch chorus

Uno!: Sweet 16, lovely song

Dos!: Oh my God, everthing about this CD would be OVERrated, but I'll pick...Amy

Tré!; X-Kid, I'm seriously going to make a tatto of this song someday

Honor mention: GD, it still acceptable to shoot a video for Letterbomb ok?

14 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Absolutely agreed. Catchy music and personal, relate-able lyrics. It could have absolutely been huge.

I like it, sounds like a Strokes song every time I hear it. Maybe Billie should give it away to them.

1039: Why Do You Want Him 

Kerplunk: Android

Dookie: Emenius Sleepus

Insomniac: Stuart and the Ave (i'll admit i love every single song on this album)

Nimrod: Prosthetic Head

AI: Give me Novocaine

21st: Static Age

Uno: either Stay the Night or Let Yourself Go

Dos: nothing really: garbage album

Tre: nothing much minus Xkid or 99 Revolutions; garbage album as well. 

On 6/17/2016 at 3:25 PM, Second favourite son said:

Agreed. Although if it's any consolation one place it wasn't underrated was on here, almost everyone said it was the best on Dos (or one of the best on the trilogy) and it was always spoken highly of and given as an example as some of the best lyrics on the albums. When the albums were being heavily discussed there was plenty of love for it to enjoy here at least!

I think the most underrated song of 1039 is The One I Want. Such sweet lyrics and the guitar solo is my favourite one they've done, very emotional somehow. It's even overlooked just on the four song EP it started off on compared to the other three songs which I consider it way ahead of, a pity.

(Underrated by the general non-GD-fanatic public)

1039 SO/SH: I Was There

Kerplunk: Christie Road

Dookie: F.O.D.

Insomniac: Stuart and the Ave

Nimrod: Take Back

Warning: Hold On

Shenanigans: Rotting

AI: Homecoming

21CB: Horseshoes and Handgrenades, American Eulogy, or Static Age

Uno: Kill the DJ

Dos: Makeout Party

Tre: X-Kid

Here's my list 

1039 - The Judge's Daughter

Kerplunk - One of My Lies

Dookie - F.O.D

Insomniac - Stuck With Me

Nimrod - Jinx/Haushinka

Warning - Macy's Day Parade

American Idiot - We Are the Waiting

21 Century Breakdown - American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World)

Uno - Let Yourself Go

Dos - Lazy Bones

Tre - Walk Away

Shenanigans (If this counts?) - Do Da Da

(EDIT: I changed some songs and I added reasons for choosing them)

Here's my list of underrated songs

1039 - Dry Ice (That solo is legendary)

Kerplunk - One of My Lies (Sounds like a track that could've been on Dookie)

Dookie - Having A Blast (Really love lyrics to this one)

Insomniac - Stuck With Me (My favorite song in general, I especially love the guitar in this one and the bass solo is godly)

Nimrod - Jinx/Haushinka - I usually count these as one song because I really enjoy the transition from Jinx to Haushinka, I mean it's literally the cleanest transition in my opinion. I like just really like Jinx, I honestly have no reason for it. Haushinka is a great song and it's pretty cool that it dates back to the early days of Green Day.

Warning - Macy's Day Parade - The lyrics in this song have a lot of emotional substance

American Idiot - Whatsername - One of the best songs off of American Idiot, I love the song's back and forth from the light guitar to the more heavy sounding guitars and the layering vocals)

21 Century Breakdown - American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World) - An underrated song from an underrated album, I like the two parts, but Modern World is better than Mass Hysteria.

Uno - Let Yourself Go - I listen to this song when I want to get pumped, I especially love the part when Billie screams "Shut the fuck up!"

Dos - Lazy Bones - This song, Makeout Party, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, and Stray Heart are the only decent songs off of the album, I just think Lazy Bones is the best out of all of them because lyrics are pretty relatable.

Tre - Walk Away - I love the chorus to this song and the lyrics are pretty good (This was meant for the Cigarettes and Valentines along with Too Much Too Soon, Cigarettes and Valentines, and Olivia were meant for this)

Shenanigans (If this counts?) - Do Da Da - This song is great especially the vocals, I would've loved to see it on Insomniac, but I wouldn't sacrifice this for Stuck with Me.

4 hours ago, cayo said:

(EDIT: I changed some songs and I added reasons for choosing them)

Here's my list of underrated songs

1039 - Dry Ice (That solo is legendary)

Kerplunk - One of My Lies (Sounds like a track that could've been on Dookie)

Dookie - Having A Blast (Really love lyrics to this one)

Insomniac - Stuck With Me (My favorite song in general, I especially love the guitar in this one and the bass solo is godly)

Nimrod - Jinx/Haushinka - I usually count these as one song because I really enjoy the transition from Jinx to Haushinka, I mean it's literally the cleanest transition in my opinion. I like just really like Jinx, I honestly have no reason for it. Haushinka is a great song and it's pretty cool that it dates back to the early days of Green Day.

Warning - Macy's Day Parade - The lyrics in this song have a lot of emotional substance

American Idiot - Whatsername - One of the best songs off of American Idiot, I love the song's back and forth from the light guitar to the more heavy sounding guitars and the layering vocals)

21 Century Breakdown - American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World) - An underrated song from an underrated album, I like the two parts, but Modern World is better than Mass Hysteria.

Uno - Let Yourself Go - I listen to this song when I want to get pumped, I especially love the part when Billie screams "Shut the fuck up!"

Dos - Lazy Bones - This song, Makeout Party, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, and Stray Heart are the only decent songs off of the album, I just think Lazy Bones is the best out of all of them because lyrics are pretty relatable.

Tre - Walk Away - I love the chorus to this song and the lyrics are pretty good (This was meant for the Cigarettes and Valentines along with Too Much Too Soon, Cigarettes and Valentines, and Olivia were meant for this)

Shenanigans (If this counts?) - Do Da Da - This song is great especially the vocals, I would've loved to see it on Insomniac, but I wouldn't sacrifice this for Stuck with Me.

I think there is a lot of love for walk away.

Archived