Most underrated/under appreciated Green Day song on each album

desecrator09

Don't know if there was another similar thread for this but I'm kind of curious to know what song from each album you might have always thought was underrated/under appreciated/overlooked in your opinion. Here comes mine:

1039: I Was There

Kerplunk!: Android

Dookie: Sassafras Roots

Insomniac: No Pride

Nimrod: Haushinka (why the hell does everyone hate this awesome song??!!)

Warning: Deadbeat Holiday

American Idiot: (hard to pick one from this album since everyone seems to love every song, but I'll go with "She's a Rebel")

21st Century Breakdown: See the Light (It's a fucking great ending song and it has a cool "sad" sound to it)

Uno!: It just came out but I'll just go with Angel Blue since it's my 2nd favorite behind Rusty James and it doesn't get as much attention as some of the other songs

Be sure to give a reason for your selections. Don't just list songs.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1039: Don't Leave Me (I say this one because it just happens to be one of my favorites! But I think it has a classic Green Day that everyone would love)

Kerplunk: One of my Lies

Dookie: Coming Clean (has one of my favorite opening lyrics..17 and strung out on confusion!)

Insomniac: Bab's Uvula who?

Nimrod: Scattered (I think it's super catchy!)

Warning: ALL OF THESE SONGS WERE! But if I had to pick one..Hold On..love me that harmonica ;)

American Idiot: Homecoming (everyone was so focused on Jesus of Suburbia)

21st century Breakdown: Peacemaker (has one of my favorite beats)

UNO: Carpe Diem

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.

1039: Green Day (Great stoner song, me and my brother used to play this for hours a few years back)

Kerplunk!: One For The Razorbacks (Very personal song to me)

Dookie: Having A Blast (Never played live, sadly)

Insomniac: Stuart And The Ave. or Westbound Sign, both are great songs, and neither get enough credit.

Nimrod: Prosthetic Head (Great track that I only got into recently)

Warning: Deadbeat Holiday (Like Prosthetic Head, I only really got into this song recently. Some of Billie's best lyrics are on Warning, and this song is no exception)

American Idiot: Homecoming (One of Green Day's best songs, and no one ever seems to consider it)

21st Century Breakdown: Horseshoes and Handgrenades (Would be amazing live, unfortunately never gets played)

Uno!: Too early to tell, really.

1039: Don't Leave Me (I say this one because it just happens to be one of my favorites! But I think it has a classic Green Day that everyone would love)

Dookie: Coming Clean (has one of my favorite opening lyrics..17 and strung out on confusion!)

Warning: ALL OF THESE SONGS WERE! But if I had to pick one..Hold On..love me that harmonica ;)

Yeah I'm with you on "One of My Lies" and I might have to switch Deadbeat Holiday with "Hold on", totally forgot about that one

1039: Green Day

Kerplunk: Android

Dookie: Emenius Sleepus

Insomniac: Panic Song

Nimrod: Worry Rock

Warning: Church on Sunday

American Idiot: Extraordinary Girl

21st Century Breakdown: See the Light

¡Uno!: Troublemaker

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Dry Ice

Kerplunk! - No One Knows

Dookie - In The End

Insomniac - Brat

Nimrod - Walking Alone

Warning - Hold On

American Idiot - Homecoming

21st Century Breakdown - Restless Heart Syndrome

¡Uno! - Angel Blue

39/Smooth: Disappearing Boy

Kerplunk: One for the Razorbacks

Dookie: Pulling Teeth

Insomniac: No Pride

Nimrod: Walking Alone

Warning: Hold On

American Idiot: Extraordinary Girl

21CB: See the Light

¡Uno!: Sweet 16

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Rest (a great melody)

Kerplunk! - No One Knows

Dookie - Pulling Teeth

Insomniac - Panic Song

Nimrod - Walking Alone

Warning - Jackass

American Idiot - Give Me Novocaine

21st Century Breakdown - Peacemaker

¡Uno! - Oh Love

1039: 16 - genuine pop punk ahead of its time

Kerplunk: One of My Lies - should be played more often, great rocker

Dookie: Coming Clean - beautiful lyrics really

Insomniac: Armatage Shanks - beast of a song

Nimrod: The Grouch - ultimate snotty nosed brattish song

Warning: Macy's Day Parade - best ending to any Green Day album and a beautiful song

American Idiot: Whatsername - not played as much as the others for some reason

21st Century Breakdown: Horseshoes and Handgrenades - my favourite on the album!

Uno - Loss of Control - describes a feeling so well, like early Green Day

1039: 16 - genuine pop punk ahead of its time

Kerplunk: One of My Lies - should be played more often, great rocker

Dookie: Coming Clean - beautiful lyrics really

Insomniac: Armatage Shanks - beast of a song

Nimrod: The Grouch - ultimate snotty nosed brattish song

Warning: Macy's Day Parade - best ending to any Green Day album and a beautiful song

American Idiot: Whatsername - not played as much as the others for some reason

21st Century Breakdown: Horseshoes and Handgrenades - my favourite on the album!

Uno - Loss of Control - describes a feeling so well, like early Green Day

yes! have to quote because of Whatsername, which is truly awesome.

Oh gosh. Tough one.

1039: I Was There (The lyrics hit me hard.)

Kerplunk: Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? Or One of my Lies. (This is probably my favorite album so this is a tough one for me. )

Dookie: Coming Clean (There really aren't many underrated songs on this album but this one is more powerful than I think it gets credit for.)

Insomniac: Westbound Sign (Is this even considered underrated? Regardless, this song is one of the most lyrically powerful songs on the album IMO.)

Nimrod: Scattered (I'm also a fan of Haushinka.)

Warning: Hold On (It is probably the most underrated song on an underrated album.)

American Idiot: Homecoming (It has just as strong a message as JoS but never got the spotlight like JoS did. More specifically, the 'Death of St. Jimmy' and 'East 12th St.' parts blow me away.)

21st Century Breakdown: Viva La Gloria? [Little Girl]. (The words feel so sharp to me but not in a musically defined way because I wouldn't know sharp from flat if you slapped me in the face with them, but in a way that they metaphorically cut through my skin when he sings them.)

Uno!: I'll take a stab at this with Rusty James. (Can't consider any songs underrated when we haven't had the time to 'rate' them. There is not an official video for it but it is clearly one of the stronger songs IMO so I'll consider it underrated at this time.)

Please try and put some rationale for the songs you choose. Some of you are already doing this. Cool.

Please don't just list song titles. It contributes nothing to discussion.

1039/Smooth: 16

Kerplunk: One of My Lies

Dookie: Having a Blast

Insomniac: Bab's Ulva Who

Nimrod: Haushinka (do people really hate this song??) Also Redundant is pretty underrated I think even though it was a single it seems like most people don't talk about it

Warning: Blood Sex and Booze

American Idiot: Are we the Waiting

21 Century Breakdown: East Jesus Nowhere

Uno: Trouble Maker

I really don't have a reason for picking these songs besides that I fell in love with them when I first heard and they either get mixed reactions or are over shadowed by other songs.

1000 Hours-The One I Want-Underplayed

39/Smooth-16-adolescence!

Slappy-409 In Your Coffeemaker-Dropping out of school, yeah!

Sweet Children-Strangeland-How can you hate this?

Kerplunk-Private Ale-

Dookie- In The End

Insomniac-Tight Wad Hill-too dark for most people

Nimrod-Jinx-He fucked up again

Warning-Misery-Too experimental

Money Money 2020- Hammer of the Gods-Can you feel?

AI-Shes a Rebel- About that bitch that dumped Billie Amanda

21CB-See the Light- Whole album isn't maximum GD, but this one by far is Not GD

Uno-Sweet 16-Havent heard you guys talk about it much

Screw the discussion- I like lists

39 Smooth: Disappearing Boy

Kerplunk: No One Knows & Android

Dookie: Emenius Sleepus

Insomniac: Westbound Sign & 86

Nimrod: Prosthetic Head & Last Ride In

Warning: Jackass & Waiting

American Idiot: Homecoming & Whatsername

21st Century Breakdown: Restless Heart Syndrom & 21st Century Breakdown

Decided not to do UNO i think its too early to judge this still, also its kinda subjective and i've listed these songs for varies reasons!

I'm gonna be different and pick one off Shenanigans.

I would probably say Rotting or On the Wagon. Both songs deserve a lot more attention than they already get, given as how they have less in-your-face punch, yet are more gracefully powerful musically and lyrically.

1,039: The Judge's Daughter. I just love this song and I think it has one of Billie's best solos in it.

Kerplunk: Android. It deals with something I think we have all thought about at some point.

Dookie: In The End or F.O.D. They're great "fuck you" songs.

Insomniac: Bab's Uvula Who? I can just imagine how Billie was feeling when he wrote it. I feel the same way a lot. A lot of anger and energy built up from failing so much.

Nimrod: Worry Rock. Just a great love song.

Warning: Fashion Victim. I think this should've been a single.

American Idiot: Homecoming. Definitely the better of the two longer songs, even though I love JoS. It's just catchy, and I love the way some of the segments are disjointed from the rest of the album, like Rock N Roll Girlfriend.

21st: American Eulogy. Mike Dirnt's parts are just amazing.

¡Uno!: Probably Loss of Control. I know a lot of people don't like this song, but it sounds like classic Green Day to me. Angry songs are always fun.

1039: I Was There (It has better lyrics than any other song on the album.)

Kerplunk: One of My Lies (It has very deep lyrics for an early Green Day song, dealing with the fear of death and the loss of faith.)

Dookie: She (It's just as catchy as When I Come Around or Basket Case, and it has what I interpret as a feminist message.)

Insomniac: Stuart and the Ave. (In my opinion, it's the best song on the entire album. So catchy, and I love the riff!)

Nimrod: King for a Day (This song is such a departure from Green Day's usual sound, but it's amazing.)

Warning: Fashion Victim (I don't know why, but it's hands down my favorite song on Warning.)

American Idiot: Give Me Novacaine (It's beautiful and so emotional it can bring me to tears.)

21st Century Breakdown: Static Age (It sounds like classic Green Day on an album that did not.)

I don't know about Uno yet. It's too soon.

1039: I Was There

Kerplunk: Andriod

Dookie: Coming Clean

Insomniac: Bab's Uvula Who?

Nimrod: Worry Rock

Warning: Deadbeat Holiday

Shenanigans: Every Song

American Idiot: Give Me Novicane

21st Century Breakdown: Restless Heart syndrome

UNO: Angel Blue

1,039 smooth: i was there

Kerplunk: One of my lies (great song)

Dookie : Pulling Teeth, Sassafrass Roots

Insomniac: no pride (very catchy)

Nimrod: The Grouch (top 3 on the Album)

Warning: Macys day parade

American Idiot : Homecoming( in my opinion, its better than JoS)

21st Century Breakdown:American Eulogy, or the Static age

iUNO! : Angel Blue, Loss of control

iDos! : Wild One (Prediciton)

Other songs

Maria

J.A.R

Ha Ha You're Dead

1,039: Rest (something about this song is just relaxing to me. probably its slower pace.)

Kerplunk!: No One Knows (another instantly relatable and mellow tune for me.)

Dookie: Having a Blast (the lyrics "I'm taking it all out on you, and all the shit you put me through." just scream out to me, as well as the anger that's extremely evident throughout.)

Insomniac: Armatage Shanks (such a powerful opener with a blistering pace and a 'fuck the world' attitude with more lyrics that describe me to a t: "I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind. I'm getting pissed, I'm a worthless pessimist. I'm a loner in a claustrophobic mind.")

nimrod.: TIE - Haushinka ("This girl has flown far away. Now she's gone." reminds me of my ex.) / Last Ride In (possibly the most mellow and relaxing song in GD's arsenal, it always chills me the fuck out and makes me want to go to a small tropical island, get drunk and stoned and just hang out on the beach.)

Warning: Jackass (there are quite a few people who come to mind when this track is playing, namely people I'd like to see have their tongues ripped out.)

Shenanigans: On the Wagon (this has always been my favorite off this album. to be completely honest, I don't know why. again, it may be because it's a slower paced, mellowish tune drifting in a sea of breakneck-speed awesomeness.)

American Idiot: Whatsername (another one that makes me think of the ex-girlfriend, but in an even more heartbreaking way that still tears me up inside. "Did she ever marry ol' Whatshisface?" rings true right about now.)

21st Century Breakdown: See the Light (a much more optimistic ending compared to the endings of AI and Warning:. I love how it brings back the chords from the title track and has a hint of a 'seeing the light at the end of this nightmarish tunnel' vibe to it.)

¡Uno!: Kill the DJ (I always envision dubstep 'artists' and whatnot catching a bullet with their temples when this is blasting deep into my eardrums. also, DAT GUITAR.)

1,039 SOSH: Don't Leave Me, Really catchy song and always seems to be ignore next to Pasalacqua, Paper Lanterns and I Was There.

Kerplunk: Probably Android, it was the first song on Kerplunk I listened to and always seems to get ignored next to some others on Kerplunk.

Dookie: In The End! It never gets played live and just about everyone knows "In The End" as the Linkin Park song. In The End is a great song but everyones always too busy with Having a Blast, Burnout, Coming Clean etc.

Insomniac: Walking Contradiction: Yeah I know it was a single and stuff but seriously, this song deserves so much more than it gets it is such a great song.

Nimrod: All The Time! I love that song, I would have made a single but from Nimrod everyone just seems to love King For A Day and Scattered and stuff.

Warning: (I said Deadbeat Holiday because I forgot about) Fashion Victim! Good song, never played live, hardly ever mentioned, Mike said it was one of the hardest songs to play on bass.

Shenanigans: Do Da Da: Yeah I know it gets a bit of attention, but its a really good song and people always seem to like Suffocate, Desensitized and Ha Ha You're Dead more.

American Idiot: Homecoming, the last 2 minutes was WAAAAAAYY to repetitive repetitive repetitive repetitive repetitive repetitive but the first 7 minutes are really good but it always get shoved aside next to Jesus Of Suburbia.

21st Century Breakdown: I don't care a whole lot for this album but, I don't know, maybe Peacemaker? I only found it recently because my sister had it on her iTunes, people seem to give more attention to Static Age, Murder City, Horseshoes and Handgrenades and Restless Heart Syndrome.

iUno! Tough, because the whole thing is getting attention at the moment, maybe Loss Of Control? its got pretty cheesy lyrics and the riff kinda sounds like F.O.D but it does seem to get less attention than Stay The Night, Angel Blue, Rusty James, and Nuclear Family etc.

iDos! (Lady Cobra, Nightlife, Stray Heart, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones, Fuck Time, Makeout Party) Probably Nightlife, I know it sounds shit through Billies iPhone and people don't like the rapping, but when i first heard the chorus I thought it sounded pretty good, it kind of had a mysterious feeling to it similar to The Offspring's Dirty Magic which I really like, the rapping by Lady Cobra kind of ruins though, I swear I heard something about sugar-coated balls lol IDK. I probably won't end up liking it, but you have to keep an open mind to it.

Ooh, this is fun.

1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours: Rest - this song is sad and dreamy.... I don't know. It's just perfect. And so different from everything else on the album. Everyone should love this.

Kerplunk: No One Knows - kind of like rest, it's sad and mature and really unique compared to the other songs on the record.

Dookie: Having A Blast - this is my favorite song on Dookie, second only to When I Come Around. It should have been a single. And they should play it live!

Insomniac: Tight Wad Hill - I often forget how much I like this song, but it's actually really good. I should listen to it more.

Nimrod: Haushinka - one of the best songs ever!! How can anyone not like Haushinka?? It's different but passionate and fun.

Warning: Misery - their most experimental song, and among their very best. I never get sick of this song.

American Idiot: Extraordinary Girl - this has always been a favorite from AI. It's so pretty and kind of Spanish-y, and it's like a love song, so I love it.

21st Century Breakdown: Christian's Inferno - why does everyone hate this song?????? I love it. It's so creepy and lyrically flawless.

I'm also going to add Restless Heart Syndrome, Peacemaker, and Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl) - all perfect (among my favorites) and never played in concerts!! Same with Horseshoes & Handgrenades....

Uno: OH LOVE!! - HOW CAN ANYONE NOT LOVE THIS SONG? It's still my favorite. Everything about it is perfect. :wub:

Is there an overrated thread? I have a few songs I would put there...... :ninja:

1039: Dry Ice - When I first started listening to Green Day it was almost purely live version, not knowing which song came from what album, and became obsessed with this song. One of my reasons for becoming a. GD fan.

Kerplunk - One of my Lies - My favourite Green Day song, simple.

Dookie - In the End

Insomniac - Stuart and the Avenue - Not a massive fan of the darker harder side of Green Day. This feels like a faster lighter sound with the exception of the lyrics! (instrumentally better)

Nimrod - Haushinka - Used to skip the song, however developed a recent love for this

Warning - Macy's Day Parade - Although a single and quite popular, I think this is one of their best songs ever. Lyrically love this song!

American Idiot - Whatshername - Ober rated album so difficult to find an under-rated song. So went with my favourite

21st Century Breakdown - Murder City - Although popular and now played live quite often, in my opinion, clearly the best song on the album by a country mile!

Uno - Sweet 16 - Think it's a great song, popular choices seem to be singles/video songs, rusty James and stay the night. However sweet 16 is my fav

That's was fun!

Archived