Green Day on Twilight soundtrack

bri1039

Im more offended at GD being featured in thay crappy ass freddy got fingered than i am at twilight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha this thread.

Muse made a great song for Twilight, I'm fine with this, they're joining good company.

That was my first thought, too :D. I love that song.

As much as I personally don't like Twlight or this marketing move I want Green Day to succeed with this trilogy. And if that means they have to do something like this to achieve it, then I am behind them 100%.

I am prepared to take shit for this comment but..... I like twilight! And i couldn't care less what you think!

Having said that, i can completly understand many peoples dissapointment, hell even im a little worried, Green Day fans will all get shit for this, but i think like we've had to do before with the "Green Day sold out man" argument, i think we just have to ignore bad comments and consider that maybe new fans will start enjoying and listening to Green Day and well if we love them and like the music etc, it really doesn't matter that they have a song on the Twilight soundtrack.

Thats just my view, i have a very neatrual stand point on it at the minute, but im sure that will change, will have to wait and see.

I didn't see the movies but i downloaded the soundtracks. And if you see the tracklists from this saga, the artists are mostly kinda indie (and good). So musically I don't see what's the problem. They aren't between crap commercial artists.

Com'on THE BLACK KEYS were in another of the soundtracks, for example.

So don't cut your veins... OK do it, your blood can lure some twilight vampire to you :D

Haha this thread.

Muse made a great song for Twilight, I'm fine with this, they're joining good company.

No way! That Neutron Star song was absolutely appalling. I'm glad Green Day are just giving them a song they'd have put out anyway.

Haha this thread.

One of Muse's worst songs.

Aw man, now I can't see Twilight's Breaking Dawn part 2 because I want to wait for ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! to hear any new songs. :(

And now seriously, I couldn't care less. It's cool I guess. I like what Mike had to say about this. A few years ago I saw the first Twilight movie in the cinema and thought it was great. After that I lost interest. What I said about not wanting to watch the movie yet is kinda true though. You know.. because of the first movie I can't listen to Super massive black hole without thinking of baseball..

Remember when Billie said "like Twilight, but good"? Hahaha :lol: I'm waiting for the moment when they're asked about this

Remember when Billie said "like Twilight, but good"? Hahaha :lol: I'm waiting for the moment when they're asked about this

They won't be. The guys make fun of things all the time, they make offhand comments all the time. It's hardly fair to take those offhand comments as gospel, and assume that it means that they never intend to have anything to do with something.

In spite of the quality of the movies, the Twilight soundtracks are actually very good and feature diverse, credible artists. It's interesting, because in 2008 I started listening to 3 new (not exactly new, but new to me) bands, and all three ended up on Twilight soundtracks soon after that. Muse and Paramore were the first two, both on the the first soundtrack. It was great to see them get exposure and gain a lot of new fans that otherwise may never have heard of them. I felt bad for Paramore for a while, because they were unfairly known as "that Twilight band," and were associated with the movie for so long. (Maybe they still are?) But despite their inclusion on the soundtrack, they are not Twilight. Their music is not changed because of the movie, nor are they as a band changed. The artistry goes one way: From the band to the soundtrack. However, the exposure and increased popularity goes both ways: The bands can gain new fans who bought the soundtrack and discovered them that way; also, the soundtrack gains more buyers who want the album if only for one band that they like.

It's interesting that Muse was on THREE of the soundtracks (I think they're the only ones featured more than once, but I may be wrong - I don't pay much attention to Twilight) and didn't receive this kind of backlash. Green Day shouldn't be treated like they sold their souls just for a few more dollars to deposit in their bank accounts. They don't have to like the movie to be on the soundtrack, and as I said, the soundtrack is much more reputable than the movies. Green Day should only gain better exposure through this and reach a younger audience who may not have any clue who they are yet. Everyone has to start somewhere. Hopefully some Twilight fan, or some guy who was really just interested in the Ellie Goulding song, or whatever will hear The Forgotten and think, "Hey, this is really good. I should check this band out. Oh, they have a trilogy? Awesome, I'll buy them all!"

And to be clear, this is a marketing strategy. You don't market to people who are already sold on the product. That's not the point of marketing. The idea is to reach those undecided potential customers, and that's what the Twilight soundtrack will do. They have a different target audience, and Green Day should only benefit from that. Hopefully this will result in another surge in popularity for Green Day, and they can be on top of the world like they have been a few times in the past.

This is nothing different from anything else Green Day has done. They've allowed their songs to be included on lots of movies, good and bad, but that didn't affect their music or them.

There's only one thing I'm not totally happy about with this: The song choice. Of course I'll want to listen to The Forgotten when the soundtrack comes out, but I want to wait until Tré too and not ruin the ending of the whole trilogy. Not sure what to do about that!

Man I'm tired of trying to justify all these contradictory actions from the band. You can't just rip on apple and then become an iPhone whore. You can't talk shit on countless acts then play a festival with them. You can't say how much you hate a movie and then put a song on the soundtrack. To those who think this is just good promotion, I hope you're right. I hope the guys get some new fans out of it but I just can't defend these moves anymore. How am I supposed to make something that is so obviously a sellout move look like its not? Ive defended these guys countless times but I just can't do it this time.

[stuff]

I hope it gives them a popularity surge! Although I could see it being like "Boulevard", "September", "21 Guns"; the sort of people who just love those songs, aren't really into the sort of thing that Green Day does in general. But that also means that it could indeed boost their popularity.

Man I'm tired of trying to justify all these contradictory actions from the band. You can't just rip on apple and then become an iPhone whore. You can't talk shit on countless acts then play a festival with them. You can't say how much you hate a movie and then put a song on the soundtrack. To those who think this is just good promotion, I hope you're right. I hope the guys get some new fans out of it but I just can't defend these moves anymore. How am I supposed to make something that is so obviously a sellout move look like its not? Ive defended these guys countless times but I just can't do it this time.

Pretty sure the ripping on apple thing was just giving a specific name to a general feeling; he had a blackberry but he might as well have ripped on blackberry, too. He was frustrated about people focusing on their phones rather than the band, which is definitely not specific to apple.

To everyone complaining and whining, here you go.

Ehh, I don't really care. I was a little surprised when I saw the news, but it's not a big deal. If the guys and the label think it's a good promotional and marketing strategy, I don't see why they can't try. As others have pointed out, their songs have been used in other movies and shows. It's Twilight, but it's still a movie. So what's the difference? I can understand that it seems a little out there to put a song towards this franchise, but it's what they want to do. You can't change it, nor are you forced to watch the movie.

Billie Joe also said that he would choose Robert Pattinson to play Christian if a movie were made of 21CB, soooo...

Pretty sure the ripping on apple thing was just giving a specific name to a general feeling; he had a blackberry but he might as well have ripped on blackberry, too. He was frustrated about people focusing on their phones rather than the band, which is definitely not specific to apple.

Well if that's the case I feel a little better regarding that particular grievance but I still have my reservations. I know the trilogy has to sell well in order for Warner to be happy with the band so I can see why this is all happening but there are so many great movies coming out this fall that probably could have used a nice song

There's already loads of crap films with Green Day songs in them so unless you complained about all the rest it's pretty silly to make a fuss about this. It's some good advertising for the new albums and I'll never see the film or listen to the soundtrack so it doesn't affect my life in any way. And it amuses me to think of it being on there :D. So it's all good.

http://movies.yahoo....2lSxM6bBWZO#_=_

Ok wtf people

LOL read Mike's quote in the link I posted. I don't believe that!!

Oh my god :lol:

"When we were asked to be part of the 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn - Part 2' soundtrack, we readily agreed because the films are an insane cultural phenomenon, and we have always been impressed with the way the 'Twilight' soundtracks are so carefully curated."

Those words really don't sound like they came from Mike's mouth, very dodgy indeed!

Im more offended at GD being featured in thay crappy ass freddy got fingered than i am at twilight

Lol exactly. If we listed every shitty film that features Green Day's music we'd be here all day, it's nothing new.

Well if that's the case I feel a little better regarding that particular grievance but I still have my reservations. I know the trilogy has to sell well in order for Warner to be happy with the band so I can see why this is all happening but there are so many great movies coming out this fall that probably could have used a nice song

Can't take off-hand comments out of context, it just doesn't work. May not like the movie choice, but there aren't actually that many popular movies with an audience Green Day might appeal to, which use pop songs in their soundtracks.

Aw feck. GD on Twilight? Really? Hope Twilight doesn't change Green Day like it changed Muse. lmao.

Aw feck. GD on Twilight? Really? Hope Twilight doesn't change Green Day like it changed Muse. lmao.

I don't think Twilight changed Muse. The band was already evolving. I don't see how a movie would change them that much anyway. It's not like they started writing a bunch songs about vampires. Muse has always done their own thing, both before and after their involvement with the soundtracks.

Archived