¡Uno! chart performance

Requila

But but... Lazy Bones is like Basket Case but better! It's the kind of song that should get an awesome video and constant exposure, IMO. It could totally carry Dos.

These things are so unpredictable, it's not really worth getting upset over. You'd think it would be easier to pick a single and promote, but it's not.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But but... Lazy Bones is like Basket Case but better! It's the kind of song that should get an awesome video and constant exposure, IMO. It could totally carry Dos.

These things are so unpredictable, it's not really worth getting upset over. You'd think it would be easier to pick a single and promote, but it's not.

Yeah I guess we should just be angry at the masses for not having better* taste in music D<.

*Better here meaning "Green Day" . Cause opinions other than mine don't matter D<.

I'm honestly surprised it's doing as well as it is, not just because of the lack of iTunes advertising, but because there have been NO hit radio singles. Oh Love peaked at #97 in the U.S. Hot 100, which is not saying much. I only heard it on mainstream radio the first and second day it came out, and then after that only on alternative rock stations (which is ironic seeing as the song itself gives me zero alternative vibes :lol: ) None of the other singles have been released to radio, amirite? Just imagine how well it could have done if they had had a real hit single. Hopefully that is yet to come!

On that note, why the hell AREN'T they releasing any of these songs to radio?

The album isn't listed in the new music section of iTunes because Uno's release date says September 18 instead of September 25. The album is #4 in cd sales (it was #2 two days ago) and #1 in mp3 album sales at Amazon. Nevertheless, the album probably could have sold 50,000-100,000 more copies in the first week if it was listed on the front page of iTunes.

Mumford and Sons are the Hootie and the Blowfish of the early ‘10s—a vanilla musical act that inexplicitly becomes popular for a period of time. I have never heard one of their songs on the radio. Their chart performance is largely driven by digital sales. In fact, it is estimated that more than 3/4 of the first week sales for their album will be digital. Mumford and Sons also recently performed at the iTunes festival, which can be viewed on the front page of the site. Make no mistake about it, Mumford and Sons are the ‘perfect’ iTunes band (i.e., a musical act tailor-made for vapid, affluent white kids). Moreover, the strong Christian and faith-based message in their lyrics is another reason why they are so popular right now. However, if they continue to produce the same straight-forward folk album over and over again, barely anyone will care about them in 5 years.

The album isn't listed in the new music section of iTunes because Uno's release date says September 18 instead of September 25. The album is #4 in cd sales (it was #2 two days ago) and #1 in mp3 album sales at Amazon. Nevertheless, the album probably could have sold 50,000-100,000 more copies in the first week if it was listed on the front page of iTunes.

Mumford and Sons are the Hootie and the Blowfish of the early ‘10s—a vanilla musical act that inexplicitly becomes popular for a short period of time. I have never heard one of their songs on the radio. Their chart performance is largely driven by digital sales. In fact, it is estimated that more than 3/4 of the first week sales for their album will be digital. Mumford and Sons also recently performed at the iTunes festival, which can be viewed on the front page of the site. Make no mistake about it, Mumford and Sons are the ‘perfect’ iTunes band (i.e., a musical act tailored made for vapid, affluent white kids). Moreover, the strong Christian and faith-based message in their lyrics is another reason why they are so popular right now. However, if they continue to produce the same straight-forward folk album over and over again, barely anyone will care about them in 5 years.

Well if "Short period of time" is longer than a few weeks, we're in trouble :/.

Why is Uno listed as being for September 18?!

On that note, why the hell AREN'T they releasing any of these songs to radio?

Let Yourself Go is doing pretty well on the local alternative station where I am (96.9 WRRV). It's been in the top five requested songs of the day (often at #1) for a little while now.

Green Day's popularity is declining. If they don't have a popularity boost sometime soon they'll be in Warning territory again. I'd like to see Green Day do some more modern music, rather then going back in time. There isn't a set definition for music, anything is possibe, thanks to programs such as Pro Tools. You can make the sound of rain sound just as epic as a 32 piece orchestra. Musicians that push forward will no longer be just musicans. They'll be composers of sound, almost like the people who work on sound for movies. I'd like Green Day to try to push forward, at least mainstream music, not as a whole. No one would expect that, and that's why they should head that way.

Green Day's popularity is declining. If they don't have a popularity boost sometime soon they'll be in Warning territory again. I'd like to see Green Day do some more modern music, rather then going back in time. There isn't a set definition for music, anything is possibe, thanks to programs such as Pro Tools. You can make the sound of rain sound just as epic as a 32 piece orchestra. Musicians that push forward will no longer be just musicans. They'll be composers of sound, almost like the people who work on sound for movies. I'd like Green Day to try to push forward, at least mainstream music, not as a whole. No one would expect that, and that's why they should head that way.

The only thing is, Green Day aren't in the business of making music for other people. They have always released records that they themselves would want to go and buy. They have been the biggest band in the world TWICE, so what do they care about doing the unexpected? Ask any one of them what they think about a possible decline in popularity, and you might be surprised by the answer you get.

Edit: Come to think of it, these guys have been doing the unexpected for at least the last 9 years. It's just that they have been doing it on their own terms, rather than because somebody asked them to be different.

But but but... computers?!

That doesn't work so well live.

IDK.

Whatever they do that stays true to them, is great. Selling massive numbers is great but not if it comes at the cost of not producing the music they really want to produce. I don't see something like you suggest as being in their future, or in the near future anyway, but then again, I never imagined them to collaborate with a rapper of any form, so it is true one never really knows. Perhaps their next album will be nearer to the cutting edge; this time they seemed to want to pull back from what they had been doing which took a lot out of them. But the result is still really good and deserves to be acknowledged. I can only hope that whatever comes from this band it will be as timeless as the things they have always produced in the past. The trouble with being on the cutting edge is that it quickly dulls when the next new thing comes along.

Edit: Come to think of it, these guys have been doing the unexpected for at least the last 9 years. It's just that they have been doing it on their own terms, rather than because somebody asked them to be different.

12, if you count Warning.

Or 15, if you count Nimrod.

Wait a minute...

12, if you count Warning.

Or 15, if you count Nimrod.

Wait a minute...

No, you're right- you could easily go back that far. I just figured the Network album (and the concept of an alter-ego in general) would be a good benchmark.

I don't understand the appeal of Mumford and Sons, but whatever. 150-175k isn't bad at all with the state of the music industry nowadays.

i don't even know who they are lolz.

No, you're right- you could easily go back that far. I just figured the Network album (and the concept of an alter-ego in general) would be a good benchmark.

I wasn't taking issue with what you said, more like backing you up XD. But that's as good a place as any to start. The side projects. They've become comfortable with their fame (as in, not so overwhelmed and frightened by it as they might have been after Dookie) and decided to go back and do what the fuck they want, which would lead to The Network (though a clear answer on how that project came about is never going to come based off of their consistent refusal to acknowledge they are the same band XD.... I mean... Fuck the Network D< ), to American Idiot... Actually I think perhaps The Network and the Foxboro Hot Tubs were a way of blowing off steam when they had those big monsters of records coming out... No longer needed now that that purpose can be served under the Green Day proper name.

Green Day are certainly not as popular as they were, but pretty much all rock bands are going through similar motions, atm. Rock music had a massive resurgence around the time of American Idiot's release, and many of the artists who were popular then have had to deal with even harsher declines (or just plain fell apart) because they didn't have the solid background that Green Day does to fall back on.

We all knew that there was nowhere they could go but down after that, and it would be awesome (though extremely unprecedented) for a band as old as they are to make a 3rd massive comeback album. So relatively decent success is the best we can hope for at any point in time, but especially now when rock, on the whole, is on the decline. That is part of what makes this very different from the Warning era: Back then, Green Day's popularity was declining, *and* they were being overshadowed by newer artists in the same genre. And if they had stayed that way, they eventually would've landed pretty firmly in hasbeen territory. Now, they are still backsliding, but they are still outperforming the vast majority of artists in their own genre, while being overlooked in favor of an entirely new and different trend in sound. And, if and when their album sales do continue to decline, they no longer run the risk of being forgotten about entirely. They've made their place in history twice over, and a spot in the Hall of Fame is practically guaranteed, regardless of where they go from here. It would be perceived as legends gracefully bowing out, rather than the flavor-of-the-year becoming yesterday's news.

Well, I think we all know that ¡Uno! deserves to be number one on all the charts right now. Simple as that. It's sooooo good!

Well if uno is #2 at least they'll behind another group thats talented and not a nicki minaj type

I hope UNO gets high up in the charts...

wanna see heaps of UNO Music Videos on T.V

I wasn't taking issue with what you said, more like backing you up XD. But that's as good a place as any to start. The side projects. They've become comfortable with their fame (as in, not so overwhelmed and frightened by it as they might have been after Dookie) and decided to go back and do what the fuck they want, which would lead to The Network (though a clear answer on how that project came about is never going to come based off of their consistent refusal to acknowledge they are the same band XD.... I mean... Fuck the Network D< ), to American Idiot... Actually I think perhaps The Network and the Foxboro Hot Tubs were a way of blowing off steam when they had those big monsters of records coming out... No longer needed now that that purpose can be served under the Green Day proper name.

It's cool, I didn't take offense to it. Just agreeing with you! Although it seems like they did "admit" the whole Network thing by releasing those on in the vinyl box set, indirectly.

It's cool, I didn't take offense to it. Just agreeing with you! Although it seems like they did "admit" the whole Network thing by releasing those on in the vinyl box set, indirectly.

True although I'm sure it'll be at least another several years before we can get a straight answer from them... Hopefully that far down the line we will have so much material to keep track of in the meantime that it won't matter, though, it would just be fun to hear about it.

Hmmm... actually I think it would be great to see how well MM2020 sold if somehow the idea of it being Green Day was separated from the coverage... Like, "I just heard this song from this really retro band"

I bought both Uno and Babel, so I'm not helping things :lol: Mumford & Sons are great, to be honest I'd never expect Green Day to beat them in the UK, I have perhaps two friends who don't like Mumford, whereas only two friends who do like Green Day. Mumford's debut album is still in the charts, it has been for 156 weeks now and I'd say on Radio 1 they probably play Mumford twenty times for every one time they play Green Day.

Well done to them for reaching number two! That is a massive achievement considering all I hear is Green Day bashing, no advertising and very little radio play.

I bought both Uno and Babel, so I'm not helping things :lol: Mumford &amp; Sons are great, to be honest I'd never expect Green Day to beat them in the UK, I have perhaps two friends who don't like Mumford, whereas only two friends who do like Green Day. Mumford's debut album is still in the charts, it has been for 156 weeks now and I'd say on Radio 1 they probably play Mumford twenty times for every one time they play Green Day.

Well done to them for reaching number two! That is a massive achievement considering all I hear is Green Day bashing, no advertising and very little radio play.

I bought them both too! Although Babel was for my wire, so I haven't heard it yet. I do like Mumford, though; those are some excellent musicians.

Mumford and Sons is fueled by hipsters...and hopefully that whole fad dies out soon, because I don't like it one bit. Ha

Mumford and Sons is fueled by hipsters...and hopefully that whole fad dies out soon, because I don't like it one bit. Ha

I'm surprised the hipsters haven't all burned their Mumford albums at this point, with as popular as they are right now.

I'm surprised the hipsters haven't all burned their Mumford albums at this point, with as popular as they are right now.

Yeah...well hipsters aren't really the smartest bunch, they just think that they are. They just like the fact that the guys in M&S have beards.

We need new music on the radio. Music that pushes forward.

Who cares if its manufactured ON computers? It isn't being manufactured BY computers. Electronic technology is important in this day and age, so music naturally will reflect that. Thanks to programs like Pro Tools, there is no shortage of musical creativity. Any sound that you can imagine can be created by you. People seem to think that if technology is involved there is no passion or anything involved. But that's false. With programs like this the only limit is your imagination, and that's how creating something should be.

Archived