¡Uno! chart performance

Requila

I'm thinking the iTunes charts are gross sales, and I'm also thinking not many are aware that Uno released this week and I also believe that to be related to it's lack of marketing. But, there are plenty of other factors in play and it's hard to say how many will sell in the long term. My guess is as the trilogy progresses, more people will become aware and sales will boost as a result, given advertising is AT LEAST on par with Uno

Yeah but that's a big assumption, because they wont' be on television as much - they are going to start doing touring and will have kicked off their full-blown US tour by the time Tré is released. (I'm personally hoping against my usual desire that that album does leak in its entirety as I will be seeing them two days before its official release).

The only reason i want it to do well is for the boys sake.

Yeah basically.We're all going to get the record anyway, just nice to see them do well.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but that's a big assumption, because they wont' be on television as much - they are going to start doing touring and will have kicked off their full-blown US tour by the time Tré is released. (I'm personally hoping against my usual desire that that album does leak in its entirety as I will be seeing them two days before its official release).

Yeah basically.We're all going to get the record anyway, just nice to see them do well.

OF course. I remember reading somewhere (in Kerrang, I think) that one of the higher-ups working with Green Day said that marketing with these albums is gonna be big. I'm personally just hoping that's followed through.

Dude Mumford and Sons are awesome

Not deserving-of-the-number-1-spot-when-there-is-a-new-Green-Day-album-out awesome.

Billboard predicts Uno to bow at #2, which isn't bad. Hopefully people will see it's a good album and the sales will increase. I don't know when Mumford and Sons got popular, but they can't keep selling 600,000 albums every week (that's what they are predicted to sell). I would never expect sales like that from that band.

On the other hand, Uno is number 1 on Amazon! Woo! It would be on iTunes if they advertised.

Even without advertising, they managed to crack the iTunes Top 10 for awhile. Probably would've helped to keep up awareness if all of their promo events for this week weren't cancelled.

Even without advertising, they managed to crack the iTunes Top 10 for awhile. Probably would've helped to keep up awareness if all of their promo events for this week weren't cancelled.

Very true. The promo appearances would have helped. But if Uno can get to #1 on Amazon with a few ads, it could have on iTunes too. It's not even under new releases.

Mumford and Sons is the new "cool band" to like. They're music is pretty good, at least there's a decent band taking the top spot rather than some autotuned pop artist.

Considering the lack of advertising on iTunes, the shitty first single choice, all the drama with the iHeart festival, they're doing 3 albums close together, the albun leaked like a week before, and the fact that they've been around for 20+ years, I'd say opening at #2 on iTunes is fucking fantastic.

Charting well in week 1 is easy for any band with a massive fanbase such as Green Day.

See if it's still top 10 in a month's time.

Very true. The promo appearances would have helped. But if Uno can get to #1 on Amazon with a few ads, it could have on iTunes too. It's not even under new releases.

Yeah, I found that to be particularly odd....Fair enough if Warner didn't want to pay for a big banner ad, but I expected it to at least be featured with the list of new material.

I never guessed that Uno would do super well so I am not surprised that it's just getting by. Mumford & Sons are the type of music that's cool these days so obviously they're gonna sell a buttload. There are plenty of worse artists out there so I'm cool with it.

Hopefully Dos will have successful first single to help it out... Uno's doing fine, but Dos and Tre aren't gonna have that first-CD buzz so they gotta ramp things up to make sure they succeed.

Mumford and Sons is the new "cool band" to like. They're music is pretty good, at least there's a decent band taking the top spot rather than some autotuned pop artist.

Considering the lack of advertising on iTunes, the shitty first single choice, all the drama with the iHeart festival, they're doing 3 albums close together, the albun leaked like a week before, and the fact that they've been around for 20+ years, I'd say opening at #2 on iTunes is fucking fantastic.

Everyone keeps mentioning "Oh Love" as a shitty first single, but it still managed to top the Rock charts for several weeks :P As for the iHeart drama, Uno actually got a spike in pre-orders after that first happened, so it actually had a positive impact in the beginning. The resulting fallout (canceling their promo events) is probably hurting them far more than the performance, itself, did. And the album leak was only like a day before the official stream went up on facebook, so I doubt it really had that big of an impact.

Also, I would like to point out that, just because Mumford and Sons steam-rollered everyone with their sales, that doesn't mean Uno is doing poorly. There have been hugely successful albums that didn't sell nearly as many copies in their first week as M&S's is. The one article mentioned that it's the highest first-week sales for a "rock" group (rock? really?) since 2008 :P

Uno may not be a super-duper-sized hit, but let's not go straight to calling it a flop either.

I'm honestly surprised it's doing as well as it is, not just because of the lack of iTunes advertising, but because there have been NO hit radio singles. Oh Love peaked at #97 in the U.S. Hot 100, which is not saying much. I only heard it on mainstream radio the first and second day it came out, and then after that only on alternative rock stations (which is ironic seeing as the song itself gives me zero alternative vibes :lol: ) None of the other singles have been released to radio, amirite? Just imagine how well it could have done if they had had a real hit single. Hopefully that is yet to come!

On that note, why the hell AREN'T they releasing any of these songs to radio?

I second this. Although I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed "Oh Love" :P

Everyone keeps mentioning "Oh Love" as a shitty first single, but it still managed to top the Rock charts for several weeks :P As for the iHeart drama, Uno actually got a spike in pre-orders after that first happened, so it actually had a positive impact in the beginning. The resulting fallout (canceling their promo events) is probably hurting them far more than the performance, itself, did. And the album leak was only like a day before the official stream went up on facebook, so I doubt it really had that big of an impact.

Also, I would like to point out that, just because Mumford and Sons steam-rollered everyone with their sales, that doesn't mean Uno is doing poorly. There have been hugely successful albums that didn't sell nearly as many copies in their first week as M&S's is. The one article mentioned that it's the highest first-week sales for a "rock" group (rock? really?) since 2008 :P

Uno may not be a super-duper-sized hit, but let's not go straight to calling it a flop either.

"Rock" is now the blanket term for anything that isn't R&B, hip hop, or seriously poppy pop.

I'm honestly surprised it's doing as well as it is, not just because of the lack of iTunes advertising, but because there have been NO hit radio singles. Oh Love peaked at #97 in the U.S. Hot 100, which is not saying much. I only heard it on mainstream radio the first and second day it came out, and then after that only on alternative rock stations (which is ironic seeing as the song itself gives me zero alternative vibes :lol: ) None of the other singles have been released to radio, amirite? Just imagine how well it could have done if they had had a real hit single. Hopefully that is yet to come!

Yeah I really wish that "Kill The DJ" and... I dunno, "Fell For You" would be radio releases.

Radio is pathetically complicated now. You either get airplay because the song is selling a shitload or has some kind of viral power... or if the label dishes out a shitload of money to get it on the playlist.

Hopefully Dos will have another shot at a radio single.

Radio is pathetically complicated now. You either get airplay because the song is selling a shitload or has some kind of viral power... or if the label dishes out a shitload of money to get it on the playlist.

Hopefully Dos will have another shot at a radio single.

Well that's it. We need a viral video for Green Day (and don't talk to me about iheartradio... -_-)

I enjoyed the hell out of it...but as the album closer, I thought it made a piss-poor choice as the lead single.

Here are some stats for Belgium:

The most popular radio station that plays rock has two lists.

In the list for MOST PLAYED songs, Kill the DJ is at 13. Oh Love used to be in there, but the newer single obviously replaced it.

In the list for MOST POPULAR songs (voted by the listeners) Kill the DJ is currently at 11. Oh Love is still in there at 16.

For album sales, ¡Uno! entered the list at 12.

I like Oh Love in the context of the album :lol: I think it was a bad single choice because I think it doesn't represent the album at all.

Good question! Fair enough that they wanted to put "Kill the DJ" out in the UK, and I suppose "Let Yourself Go" would've just sounded ridiculous with all the fucks edited out, but Stay the Night or Nuclear Family (as the other two vids they put out) should've been perfectly fine for radio play.

Unfortunately, rock music in general is getting majorly shafted on radio these days, as far as Top 40 stations go. The fact that songs can hold on to top positions on rock and alternative charts for weeks on end, yet never see the light of day on a mainstream station, is just plain depressing.

Not the only one ;)

Unfortunately, rock music in general is getting majorly shafted on radio these days, as far as Top 40 stations go. The fact that songs can hold on to top positions on rock and alternative charts for weeks on end, yet never see the light of day on a mainstream station, is just plain depressing.

Right? It's like, how could Oh Love be #1 for 8 weeks on Rock charts, and barely scraping itself into the pop 100? Mind blowing, and somewhat counter intuitive. As if it appeals ONLY to rock listeners?

Right? It's like, how could Oh Love be #1 for 8 weeks on Rock charts, and barely scraping itself into the pop 100? Mind blowing, and somewhat counter intuitive. As if it appeals ONLY to rock listeners?

It's a very "rock" song, it's true, but that sort of disparity is mindblowing.

UNO was much better then Babel. I'm speaking from an unbiased point of view cause I equally like both bands. But Babel felt like one big boring ballad with I Will Wait in the middle. I'm suprised how much better it did then UNO on the canadian charts.

It's a very "rock" song, it's true, but that sort of disparity is mindblowing.

it is, but the Hot 100 is supposed to encompass all genres. So it doesn't matter what "Oh Love" is categorized as. It just matters that it isn't getting much play on stations that aren't formatted specifically around rock and/or alternative music. For whatever reason.

I really hope that "Lazy Bones" ends up being a legit single for Dos, at this point. Not only because it's awesome and catchy, but I think it has enough of a crossover appeal to help combat some of the current genre-bias.

it is, but the Hot 100 is supposed to encompass all genres. So it doesn't matter what "Oh Love" is categorized as. It just matters that it isn't getting much play on stations that aren't formatted specifically around rock and/or alternative music. For whatever reason.

I really hope that "Lazy Bones" ends up being a legit single for Dos, at this point. Not only because it's awesome and catchy, but I think it has enough of a crossover appeal to help combat some of the current genre-bias.

Yes I understood that it is meant to encompass all genres which is why the disparity is disappointing, because as you say it isn't getting much love on anything that isn't alternative or rock specifically.

I still haven't listened to Lazy Bones but if the other preview is a precedent it probably won't be. Which is... weird, I guess. But from what I am reading about the other two albums they're certainly capable of fighting into crossover territory.

Archived