¡Uno! chart performance

Requila

We need new music on the radio. Music that pushes forward.

Who cares if its manufactured ON computers? It isn't being manufactured BY computers. Electronic technology is important in this day and age, so music naturally will reflect that. Thanks to programs like Pro Tools, there is no shortage of musical creativity. Any sound that you can imagine can be created by you. People seem to think that if technology is involved there is no passion or anything involved. But that's false. With programs like this the only limit is your imagination, and that's how creating something should be.

Well, besides the fact that that sounds awful and requires no talent whatsoever, it's a bad idea. I mean, are you a fan of getting rid of all of the guitars and basses and drums in favor of computers? :ermm:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Corrie

It requires no talent? Are you a master of Pro Tools? Do you know how to work with the program with no trouble at all? No, you don't. You have to experiment and leanr it, just like an insturment. What is talent without creativity? Isn't being creative a talent? How do you know if it would sound awful? Are you saying any sound besides a guitar, bass, and drums sounds awful? Unlimited amounts of sound? Its progressive, its industrial, and you can still use organic sounds. And who says that you can't use instruments? You can create sounds that nobody has done on a guitar before thanks to technology. Music in its purest form is rhythm. Rhythm of sound.

Creativity has no boundaries, and if it has no boundaries than it can't cross any lines. Imagination and the ability to manipulate sounds is a much rarer trait to find in someone then the ability to play the guitar.

Open you're mind to new ideas, otherwise you'll be living for a future that strives for an end.

@ Corrie

It requires no talent? Are you a master of Pro Tools? Do you know how to work with the program with no trouble at all? No, you don't. You have to experiment and leanr it, just like an insturment. What is talent without creativity? Isn't being creative a talent? How do you know if it would sound awful? Are you saying any sound besides a guitar, bass, and drums sounds awful? Unlimited amounts of sound? Its progressive, its industrial, and you can still use organic sounds. And who says that you can't use instruments? You can create sounds that nobody has done on a guitar before thanks to technology. Music in its purest form is rhythm. Rhythm of sound.

Creativity has no boundaries, and if it has no boundaries than it can't cross any lines. Imagination and the ability to manipulate sounds is a much rarer trait to find in someone then the ability to play the guitar.

Open you're mind to new ideas, otherwise you'll be living for a future that strives for an end.

I read this as if it were a poem :mellow:

I read this as if it were a poem :mellow:

I do write poetry. I like to think that I'm a very quotable type person.

I like to say and type phrases that make people think, because people on the internet aren't used to that.

They're only used to reacting.

@ Corrie

Being able to manipulate sounds on a computer is a lot easier than writing music. I think the act of playing an instrument has character all it's own. Yeah, you can replicate most sounds on a computer, regardless of talent with an actual instrument, but in doing so, I think you lose some of the beauty of songwriting. I'm not saying it's impossible or that it's all terrible, only that hearing something real come from an instrument adds an intangible value in character. It's like the difference between saying "light is light, it's all the same", yet you're aware of the change in the mood of a room between a light bulb and candlelight.

Being able to manipulate sounds on a computer is a lot easier than writing music. I think the act of playing an instrument has character all it's own. Yeah, you can replicate most sounds on a computer, regardless of talent with an actual instrument, but in doing so, I think you lose some of the beauty of songwriting. I'm not saying it's impossible or that it's all terrible, only that hearing something real come from an instrument adds an intangible value in character. It's like the difference between saying "light is light, it's all the same", yet you're aware of the change between a light bulb and candlelight.

And that's why I said you can still use instruments, but create unique sounds with them.

Even without instruments, you can be smart when it comes to sound. If you're adding sound for the sake of adding it then that's pointless.

But if you manage to create an atmosphere with it, then that is smart, because thats part of what instruments do.

They create the atmosphere of the song. Bands like Radiohead, Pink Floyd and King Crimson are famous for this.

Some of their work isn't composed of just ordinary instruments. Listen to any tracks from the Silent Hill games.

That's industrial, which is composed of sound manipulation.

@ Corrie

Sorry, maybe I came across as being rude, but I just feel like learning to use a computer program is easier than learning to play an instrument. At least for me it is. It's not that I'm not open to new ideas, either, but isn't music already moving in this direction? One of the things I love about Green Day is that they still use the old methods of using an instrument, they don't lipsync, and they don't use autotune. I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love for classic rock and disdain for most modern music. I'm also not saying that other sounds are awful. I'm saying the principle isn't something that I'm very fond of.

Oh, and never, ever, suggest that I am not open to new ideas. That is absolutely false. I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to music, that's all.

By the way, it's Cori. Not Corrie.

Sounds that blend seemlessly and compliment each other.

That takes talent.

I'm only quoting this post because it's your most recent one.

You make a lot of good points above. The most basic elements of music -- as you alluded to -- are rhythm and melody. Both of those can be created by acoustic, electric or electronic instruments. We should also remember than in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that long ago that electric guitars and basses and keys became widely accepted in music. People cannot reject the idea of music being created electronically forever, because that is simply how it's evolving.

I used to hold a differing opinion to yours. To me, music wasn't music unless it was created by people who picked up a guitar or a pair of drum sticks and worked at developing skills; that's a narrow viewpoint. I finally realized that that was just the kind of music I prefer to listen to.

The last wave of boy bands -- your Backstreet Boys, NSYNCs, etc. -- are incredibly talented men. They can dance, and they can sing like motherfuckers. But they are/were manufactured. Their backing music was created electronically, by someone else; their lyrics were written by someone else; their image was dreamed up and slapped on them by someone else. Those acts are a complete fabrication. That's the sort of thing I personally rail against. And I don't know anything about the current crop like One Direction or whomever, so I'm not using them in this example.

Anyway, the argument I'm trying to make is that we don't need more of that on the radio. It was all made to siphon money out of teenagers and their parents for....wait for it...

Someone else.

It's too easy to put 4 or 5 attractive guys together and call it a band. I blame that on electronic instruments. To me, acts like those wouldn't exist so easily if we were more limited in our means of creation. It is much harder to throw a guitar at somebody and say, "Go write a song." I respect the Lady Gagas and the Biebers because, although I still find their work intolerable, there is a real passion in what they do.

I had a point when I started writing this post, and my rambling might have led me astray from it. Sorry if this doesn't make more sense!

Just to steer this conversation back on topic (I think if you guys are interested, you might consider making a new thread for the "what is music" conversation, could be interesting) I wrote up a post on GDA today summarizing the news about the charts and compared it to 21CB and American Idiot

http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/3613/

I'm a little sad that this album didn't start as strongly as the other two, but I think #2 is still pretty damn good. I don't think they could've taken the #1 spot, but I think picking a stronger single/music video would have really helped pick this up and made it stronger.

Sorry, maybe I came across as being rude, but I just feel like learning to use a computer program is easier than learning to play an instrument. At least for me it is. It's not that I'm not open to new ideas, either, but isn't music already moving in this direction? One of the things I love about Green Day is that they still use the old methods of using an instrument, they don't lipsync, and they don't use autotune. I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love for classic rock and disdain for most modern music. I'm also not saying that other sounds are awful. I'm saying the principle isn't something that I'm very fond of.

Oh, and never, ever, suggest that I am not open to new ideas. That is absolutely false. I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to music, that's all.

By the way, it's Cori. Not Corrie.

Pro Tools is really used for just recording I know no big time producer rock rap pop or r&b using pro tools to MAKE music most use Reason or Logic for that....

Uno was recorded using pro tools 99% of all albums are recorded thru PT cause digital recording sadly has taken over analog recording is going away unfort cause it sound so much better analog (i will say for digital at least it faster to fix up mistakes than recording analog lol)

The last wave of boy bands -- your Backstreet Boys, NSYNCs, etc. -- are incredibly talented men. They can dance, and they can sing like motherfuckers. But they are/were manufactured. Their backing music was created electronically, by someone else; their lyrics were written by someone else; their image was dreamed up and slapped on them by someone else. Those acts are a complete fabrication. That's the sort of thing I personally rail against. And I don't know anything about the current crop like One Direction or whomever, so I'm not using them in this example.

Anyway, the argument I'm trying to make is that we don't need more of that on the radio. It was all made to siphon money out of teenagers and their parents for....wait for it...

Someone else.

It's too easy to put 4 or 5 attractive guys together and call it a band. I blame that on electronic instruments. To me, acts like those wouldn't exist so easily if we were more limited in our means of creation. It is much harder to throw a guitar at somebody and say, "Go write a song." I respect the Lady Gagas and the Biebers because, although I still find their work intolerable, there is a real passion in what they do.

I had a point when I started writing this post, and my rambling might have led me astray from it. Sorry if this doesn't make more sense!

Dunno bout bsb but nsync wrote their own music well at least Justin Lance and AJ wrote songs and there was made by a mix of electronic music and live instruments

not that I was a fan but they recorded some of the last album at the studio I worked at

I think this album had a lot of potential. Oh Love isn't doing that bad out there but I believe if KTDJ had a better video and was released worldwide from the beginning and STN had a real music video and was a single The Album could do much better.And If BJ wasn't seeking treatment and they didn't have canceled shows like ellen and Jimmi Kimmel It could also do much better. By the way, I'm really missing a performance on The Late Show too.

Uno hasn't cracked the top 40 albums here nor any of the singles here have made it into the top 40 :lol: kinda disappointed really

I think Kill The DJ would be a great follow up single after Oh Love, especially in this indie-pop-dance-music atmosphere that's populating the radio right now. Let Yourself Go would probably do well, get a lot of older Green Day fans interested (and it's just a fun song). And then either Stay The Night or Fell For You to close out the radio promotion for ¡Uno!. They're both great love songs that I think people would enjoy.

I don't think these albums were ever going to match AI or 21CB and it's not really fair to compare them. AI was a massive and surprise success, and 21CB was the awkward but massively awaited follow up, not to mention there had been such a long wait in between. Whereas this time, there's no pressure there and not as many people care, and it's not been that long really since their last album. Like Billie said, they've sort of gone back to where they were before AI, which inevitably means sales will too.

Not that hitting number 2 in the album charts is a bad thing in these times! It's a very good thing.

I don't think these albums were ever going to match AI or 21CB and it's not really fair to compare them. AI was a massive and surprise success, and 21CB was the awkward but massively awaited follow up, not to mention there had been such a long wait in between. Whereas this time, there's no pressure there and not as many people care, and it's not been that long really since their last album. Like Billie said, they've sort of gone back to where they were before AI, which inevitably means sales will too.

Not that hitting number 2 in the album charts is a bad thing in these times! It's a very good thing.

As long as they sell well enough to be able to continue to experiment and be "Green Day", I'm gold, really.

Pro Tools is really used for just recording I know no big time producer rock rap pop or r&b using pro tools to MAKE music most use Reason or Logic for that....

Uno was recorded using pro tools 99% of all albums are recorded thru PT cause digital recording sadly has taken over analog recording is going away unfort cause it sound so much better analog (i will say for digital at least it faster to fix up mistakes than recording analog lol)

Dunno bout bsb but nsync wrote their own music well at least Justin Lance and AJ wrote songs and there was made by a mix of electronic music and live instruments

not that I was a fan but they recorded some of the last album at the studio I worked at

A little research might have done some good instead of just spouting off. You're right about all that, sorry! Thanks for setting me straight.

A little research might have done some good instead of just spouting off. You're right about all that, sorry! Thanks for setting me straight.

Lol no biggie at all

In a way you're right as well i just looked first album they wrote none of the songs 2nd album they wrote 4 of em the last album wrote all cept for 2 so you're right in some parts

They have two more chances in the next few months to get a #1 debut. But the new Soundgarden comes out on the same day as ¡Dos! I wonder if my box set purchase counts toward the first week sales or what....

They have two more chances in the next few months to get a #1 debut. But the new Soundgarden comes out on the same day as ¡Dos! I wonder if my box set purchase counts toward the first week sales or what....

Soundgarden is what you're worried about Dos competing with? November 13 is also One Direction and Christina Aguilera, 50 Cent...

Soundgarden is what you're worried about Dos competing with? November 13 is also One Direction and Christina Aguilera, 50 Cent...

Lol 50 wont chart jn the top 5 maybe top 10 but thatd be pushin it (his last 2 albums charted very low)

So Nov 13th is Dos Soundgarden Aaron Lewis of Staind's solo One Direction Christina and 50 busy tuesday

Archived