Billie getting treatment for substance abuse.

Jaddedkitten

Regardless of why he's in treatment, I really hope he can make a full recovery and start fresh. It's a shame some dates were cancelled but in the end, that's honestly last on our list of things to worry about. I can only imagine how Mike, Tre and his family must be feeling right now and I wish them all the best. There's really not much else to say at this point, so I'm just going to stay positive and hope for recovery.

We love you Billie!! <3

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's my opinion that great artists are tortured souls and art is their way of sorting out those inner demons. Sometimes it is accompanied with other ways of compensating and I think that has alway been something Billie has struggled with. None of us know how bad it really is so speculating beyond official announcements is pretty pointless but I just wish Billie and his family the best and I hope he gets through this.

oh i miss thisss. :(

i don't know what mean of substance abuse?

like drugs or what?

i not really understand this word...

im not from US or europe... :(

Substance abuse doesn't necessarily mean "drug abuse". It's the overuse of anything that can alter your mind or body to the point where it can negatively affect your daily life or the people around you through the way someone acts or speaks.

Let's not jump to conclusions that it's common narcotics. Caffeine, even chocolate (this is a scientific fact :))can certainly be a substance that can be abused if not taken the correct way.

In my eyes all that's happened is he's overdoing it a bit and getting a little carried about. Like earlier this month he was dehydrated - most probably because of drinking and overworking.

This is just a publicity thing - the label would've ordered him to seek help because he's gotten drunk a couple of times.

They should've just ignored it and handled it in private to make sure that Billie isn't an alcoholic or anything but I suppose someone up top was pissed off about their performance at iHeartRadio Festival and complained..

Seriously, it's not like he's been arriving for interviews absolutely pissed or anything. This is just PR crap. We know for a FACT that their set was cut short and getting drunk in Vegas doesn't require 'treatment'

In my eyes all that's happened is he's overdoing it a bit and getting a little carried about. Like earlier this month he was dehydrated - most probably because of drinking and overworking.

This is just a publicity thing - the label would've ordered him to seek help because he's gotten drunk a couple of times.

They should've just ignored it and handled it in private to make sure that Billie isn't an alcoholic or anything but I suppose someone up top was pissed off about their performance at iHeartRadio Festival and complained..

What the hell do you know about it? You have no idea what issues Billie has or doesn't have in his private life, none of us do. They've said he has a substance abuse problem and is getting treatment for it, none of us know any more than that so your assumptions and guesses don't mean anything.

The world these days is so wussy.

Green Day in the 90's have done way crazier shit than this.

Jeez the whole internet is in uproar over nothing...just an excuse for haters to come along and get involved in something they don't even know.

Not sure how well you understand addiction or substance abuse, but when one is "overdoing it a bit and getting a little carried about," that more than likely means they have a substance abuse problem. Getting drunk every now and then is alright, but if you're overdoing it - if it becomes a regular occurrence - that's when it becomes a problem. Addiction and substance abuse means you're doing something too much. Billie is "overdoing" the drinking or whatever drug(s) he's been using.

There's no way this is a publicity thing. That's horrible timing to be postponing events, when they're meant to promote their new album. That'd be illogical and stupid.

I think the only reason Billie would be getting treatment is if he (and probably his family/friends) felt he actually had a problem and wanted to resolve it.

the world is so full of judgement and criticism, though that doesn't exactly do any good. Billie Joe is a strong and dedicated man, he'll get some rest, the help he needs and bounce back. nothing wrong with help, shows he's also an intelligent man

No fucking way in hell would they so glibly announce a breakup, JFC. That's "write a heartbreaking statement" stuff in this day and age. That's a bit of a stretch to make.

As a selfish fan I will absolutely admit that I'm terrified that I won't be able to see the band in the future, but again, that's jumping to so many conclusions that cannot be made (but just me as a paranoid person :lol:). But as a human, I'm relieved he's doing this, I'm glad he's doing this. Obviously this is being taken seriously and no matter who/what/why spawned this, there are people who care about him in his inner circle. And then add in the fans? He has a fantastic support system.

Not sure how well you understand addiction or substance abuse, but when one is "overdoing it a bit and getting a little carried about," that more than likely means they have a substance abuse problem. Getting drunk every now and then is alright, but if you're overdoing it - if it becomes a regular occurrence - that's when it becomes a problem. Addiction and substance abuse means you're doing something too much. Billie is "overdoing" the drinking or whatever drug(s) he's been using.

There's no way this is a publicity thing. That's horrible timing to be postponing events, when they're meant to promote their new album. That'd be illogical and stupid.

I think the only reason Billie would be getting treatment is if he (and probably his family/friends) felt he actually had a problem and wanted to resolve it.

I know the effects of addiction because I've had friends who've fallen into alcoholism and have spent all their cash on booze and pot to the point that they can't afford to pay for rent.

This is just a PR thing - you can tell from them saying that their set wasn't cut short - it was, we were all witness to that. Usher went over so they reduced his time at the last second.

People getting angry at me should look at other celebrities that have been admitted into rehab of treatment for substance abuse - 99% of the time they'd only been drunk or stoned once in public and up top goes OH MY GOD BAD PRESS LETS PUT HIM IN REHAB.

Jesus, 'treatment for substance abuse' is a very broad thing to say. A close friend of mine was caught with a small amount or marijuana and had to get 'treatment for substance abuse' which was watching a video saying how bad it was and being told how bad it is by some woman for 25 minutes.

Anyway, I hope Billie is alright. I'm being optimistic that this is just PR shit because he hasn't exactly been going to interviews absolutely pissed or anything.

And another reason why it's silly: this actually can HURT the sales of their new album rather than help. They're postponing upcoming promotional appearances, which is BAD for sales. If this were a publicity stunt, it would surely be a really stupid one with no real logic, and I doubt that's the case.

This won't hurt sales, not at all. This will give them even more publicity than any promotional appearances, this will put Green Day in every newspaper, magazine and tv show in the world. There is no such thing as bad publicity, and if there's something musi history has taught us is that scandals, always help sales.

Having said that, I don't think this was planned, I think it is a real problem that blew up in a terrible moment for the band, but a great one to the record label.

I am actually pretty sure that this isn't about getting media attention for the new album, like some people here does according to some posts. I do think that this is more than the iHeart festival shit, and I do belive that this has been a problem (minor or big) for him and the band quite some time now. It's not a good thing, so why make it up? The one good thing about this though is Billie getting the help he obviously wants and needs. This doesn't have to mean that he's a hardcore alcoholic or smoking weed like fuck, it could simply just mean that he've realised he might drink a bit too much too often - if were talking about alcohol.

I don't drink. I've never tasted beer or wine (though I have taken some sips of a cider :P ) and I probably won't ever. My neighbour is a heavy drinker, my mom doesn't drink either and I've never had any close friends who've abused it. I definitely don't like alcohole in any way and I absolutely don't support it or what it makes people do. But I fucking care about Billie, and this is NOT a disappointment. I seriously can't understand the people who's bashing him now, after taking the courage to do something like this - realising his problems before they grow worse and asking for some help. Adie is a lovely woman, and I think she'll be his biggest support. Mike and Tré also, for sure.

And YES. People are making too much assumptions too soon. We know pretty much nothing yet. Go to bed and rest, I'll do that now, let's see what tomorrow gives us.

Rage and Love ♥

i was under the impression that billie joe had his use of narcotics under control. but i was wondering about this extensive tour and all the stress of these three albums coming out, and helping his sons band, and managing family. although im sad this happened im not completely suprised

Oh Billie. I'm sorry.

Now I feel seriously bad that I was laughing at the iheart drunken incident. I thought it was just a case of Vegas. :S

I know the effects of addiction because I've had friends who've fallen into alcoholism and have spent all their cash on booze and pot to the point that they can't afford to pay for rent.

This is just a PR thing - you can tell from them saying that their set wasn't cut short - it was, we were all witness to that. Usher went over so they reduced his time at the last second.

People getting angry at me should look at other celebrities that have been admitted into rehab of treatment for substance abuse - 99% of the time they'd only been drunk or stoned once in public and up top goes OH MY GOD BAD PRESS LETS PUT HIM IN REHAB.

Jesus, 'treatment for substance abuse' is a very broad thing to say. A close friend of mine was caught with a small amount or marijuana and had to get 'treatment for substance abuse' which was watching a video saying how bad it was and being told how bad it is by some woman for 25 minutes.

Anyway, I hope Billie is alright. I'm being optimistic that this is just PR shit because he hasn't exactly been going to interviews absolutely pissed or anything.

Because he's a celebrity it MUST be that then. No possible way he could really have a problem. We only see Billie a tiny percentage of his life, there's no way of knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Making the assumption that it's just a PR stunt when we have no idea what's going on in his life or his head or what kind of problems he has is pretty stupid tbh.

I'm really sad and shocked that this happened, but the only thing I can say is that i hope he'll be okay soon.

I don't get why people bash him for it. We don't know him in person.. we don't know his life or what he's going through.

It's actually really strong of him to go and get help for his problems.

All my thoughts goes to him, his family and the band. ♥

Oh Billie. I'm sorry.

Now I feel seriously bad that I was laughing at the iheart drunken incident. I thought it was just a case of Vegas. :S

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing at "Case of Vegas" :lol:

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing at "Case of Vegas" :lol:

A bad case of Vegas happens to everyone at some point :) .....I wish this all was nothing more than just that.

Oops. I thought I was in the thread to find out about Billie Joe's treatment for substance abuse. Must've clicked "Tell everybody about your personal views on substance abuse, because that's totally related to Billie Joe, because he probably asked you before he checked in, right?" instead.

Ok, so i just watched the vid. I really don't see him being under the influence of anything. This is just Billie pissed off (and rightly so) like he used to at concerts in the good ole days. Yeah, i'm betting Clear channel or whoever organized the festival just wasn't too happy with his dissent so it's just being wrote off as Billie being a junkie who needs help. Pffft.

That's to say i don't think any problems he might have were related to him getting angry at iHeart for being dickwads.

Anyway, maybe Billie has got an addiction going on but tbh, i don't see any of it in that clip. That's to say i don't think any problems he might have were related to him getting angry at iHeart for being dickwads.

Hope he won't have to be in too long.

Because he's a celebrity it MUST be that then. No possible way he could really have a problem. We only see Billie a tiny percentage of his life, there's no way of knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Making the assumption that it's just a PR stunt when we have no idea what's going on in his life or his head or what kind of problems he has is pretty stupid tbh.

I didn't say PR stunt. It's PR covering their asses. If a celebrity goes on stage drunk they go into overdrive mode trying to cover themselves from negative press. It happens everytime a popular celebrity is drunk in public.

Yes we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I'm just working off of past observations and experience.

Anyway, if Billie does have a problem I hope he gets through it.

Actually I didn't laugh at the video, it was really impressive 'cause I've never seen him like that, though he's always crazy and loud at concerts. But I did laugh at his "iheart radio" pic, I thought it was just an incident and he moved on. And I've been thinking about the video all day, he was so mad... then I saw this news and felt terribly guilty of laughing at the photo in the first place.

I will always support Green Day with all my heart.

This is actually really sad to hear about. I did enjoy his rant but after watching the full video I could something was up, Billie's a professional and even though he has a drink or 2 before a show I think he'd know when to stop. The substance abuse could be either drugs or alcohol or even both.

Depending on how serious it is will determine how many dates they cancel. They pretty much had 1 week left of dates before having a month off and doing another show. I think these next week shows will be canceled and possibly the one next month. I'm sure/hope Billie will be well by the time the tour actually starts. For everyone who was going to see them soon, its not your only chance. I'm sure Green Day will do what they can to make up to those fans missing the shows in those areas.

I think the best we can do now is not judge and send our love to the Armstrongs and the band to show we support him through the struggles.

Archived