Nuclear Family

pasalaska

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a wonderful opening track to the first album from the triology, Green Day never fail to amaze me! :dance:

One of my favorites off the album. I agree that it's a great opener! And I love that Stay The Night is the second track; for me, it makes a nice transition.

I love this song and can't stop flipping between it and Troublemaker. It was definitely the best choice for the first track, and perhaps one of the best out of all the album openners. After I listened to the song a few times and read through the lyrics, I only get autobiographical vibes from this song.

Gonna ride the world like a merry-go-round

Like a ferris wheel that breaking down

Drinking angel’s piss, gonna crash and burn

I just want some action so gimme my turn

They're constantly touring all over the world, only to come back home, go back into the studio and the whole thing starts all over again. That sort of living has got to be on a marriage. Both Mike and Tre have been through several. Imagine being the only one bound by marriage while all the others that you're out with are free to pick up girls and do whatever they want with no repercussions. Along with enough alcohol in your system, your morals start to wear thin. Angel Piss is a drink: 1oz. whiskey and 1oz. peach schnapps.

It’s looking like another bad comedy

Just as long as it comes in hi-fidelity for me too

The media loves to draw everything out, particularly when a star is having problems. They're smeared all over television and turned into late night jokes.

Can you hear the sound coming over the hill?

Gotta move my feet, it’s coming in for the kill

Baby baby, baby it’s a blow out

Like a nuclear bomb and it won’t be long ’til I detonate

With increased age comes the anxiety that you might not have done all that you could or wanted to in life. When you're on your deathbed, will you look back and wish you'd done things differently? Or will throw all your cares and responsibilities to the wind and change your life now even if it means hurting those who love you? Perhaps the latter is better, because if you hold it in for to long, the results could be disasterous. (this makes me think of what happened at iheart and it's a bit eerie)

Because I know at least one person will say something...I'm in no way insinuating that Billie and Adrienne are having problems. They're an anomaly and have an amazing bond and understanding between them.

I love this song and can't stop flipping between it and Troublemaker. It was definitely the best choice for the first track, and perhaps one of the best out of all the album openners. After I listened to the song a few times and read through the lyrics, I only get autobiographical vibes from this song.

Gonna ride the world like a merry-go-round

Like a ferris wheel that breaking down

Drinking angel’s piss, gonna crash and burn

I just want some action so gimme my turn

They're constantly touring all over the world, only to come back home, go back into the studio and the whole thing starts all over again. That sort of living has got to be on a marriage. Both Mike and Tre have been through several. Imagine being the only one bound by marriage while all the others that you're out with are free to pick up girls and do whatever they want with no repercussions. Along with enough alcohol in your system, your morals start to wear thin. Angel Piss is a drink: 1oz. whiskey and 1oz. peach schnapps.

It’s looking like another bad comedy

Just as long as it comes in hi-fidelity for me too

The media loves to draw everything out, particularly when a star is having problems. They're smeared all over television and turned into late night jokes.

Can you hear the sound coming over the hill?

Gotta move my feet, it’s coming in for the kill

Baby baby, baby it’s a blow out

Like a nuclear bomb and it won’t be long ’til I detonate

With increased age comes the anxiety that you might not have done all that you could or wanted to in life. When you're on your deathbed, will you look back and wish you'd done things differently? Or will throw all your cares and responsibilities to the wind and change your life now even if it means hurting those who love you? Perhaps the latter is better, because if you hold it in for to long, the results could be disasterous. (this makes me think of what happened at iheart and it's a bit eerie)

Because I know at least one person will say something...I'm in no way insinuating that Billie and Adrienne are having problems. They're an anomaly and have an amazing bond and understanding between them.

Awesome interpretation and very well-said. That was how I saw the album as well when analyzing the tracks within the context of the whole.

What's up with everybody hearing the 'Mike Dirnt' part? :ermm: Since the first time I heard it, never sound that way for me :lol:

what I love about this song is that it is sucha great song to start out an album. It kicks in with a huge guitar and then goes into the main rift that explodes with the second guitar. Then the countdown at the end is a great way to transition into the rest of the album. Great song, and so powerful. "gonna ride the world like a meryy go round" as the first lines in the album gives you the felling that something great is about to happen, and that thing is called UNO! Great song, and best way to start the album!

Such a great opening to the trilogy. So much to like about this song.

I love how it's structured similar to American Idiot, with guitar riffs coming after each line of the verses. Favourite line? Too many, although I love singing "Ba-ba-ba-baby......"

I love love love that too :D

This song is totally awesome

Without further ado, this week’s Song of the Week, in celebration of OMFG NEW ALBUM is Nuclear Family, the opening track of Green Day’s 9th studio album Uno, released this week!

The term ‘Nuclear Family’ refers to the social unit of a couple (stereotypically a married mother and father) and their kids – the conservative, traditional idea of a family household. This song, then, describes the death of this social construct (something which is currently lamented by many a politician), death bought on, in this instance, by the self-destructive behaviour of a parent going through some sort of identity or mid-life crisis. The first verse is a yearning for action and excitement; drinking and taking risks, but also going in the same old circles at the same time, just like merry-go-rounds and ferris wheels do. The second verse then describes the build-up of emotions and anxieties (“the sound coming over the hill”), an internal mixture of unstable feelings that are ready to “detonate” into some sort of explosive mid-life crisis. The chorus gets slightly political with its first line, which is possibly a reference to the hyped-up perceived thread of communism (from China’s growing global status) on the traditional western family. The imminent death of this nuclear family however, is simply brushed off as just “another bad comedy” about a dysfunctional family, and as long as this parent still gets the material, “hi-fidelity”, comfortable life that they currently have then no moves are going to be made to change for the better. Finally, the song ends in a count-down, cutting off just before the detonation.

Apologies for being late to the game here -- out of town visitors for my daughter's birthday this past weekend, and coming back from being a tad burned out by all the obsession over Billie's now famous iHeart Radio fest meltdown.

Anyway, on to the music.....several folks have already picked up on some of the same themes that were apparent to me right away when I first heard Nuclear Family -- the destruction of the "Leave it to Beaver" 1950s-era typical middle-class American family model; the personal effects of an aging parent experiencing a mid-life crisis; and the "I don't care if it's bad for me so long as I get a thrill out of it" concepts that resonate throughout the song. I won't spend any more time than just mentioning them here since the rest of y'all already did a great job of unearthing them. I will add just a few thoughts that I haven't seen shared here yet.

First, "Can you hear the sound coming over the hill...coming in for the kill" -- there's that mid-life crisis rearing its ugly head, "over the hill" being a common cliche or catchphrase that's often used to describe someone who passes from youth into middle age. "It's coming in for the kill" indicates the fear that our nameless narrator has for aging. He's got to let loose and enjoy all the things he thinks he's missed out on so far, otherwise, he believes, life's going to pass him by (making for a nice tie-in there to Oh Love at the other end of the album, by the way).

And second - I'm still trying to figure out what the hell China has to do with anything in this record. The only thing I can think of is what's been going on in world news insofar as the Chinese are concerned. Currently there's a power consolidation occurring in Chinese politics, with the former Secretary (governor?) of Chonquing, Bo Xilai, having recently been purged from the Communist Party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Xilai) to make way for the next generation of leaders. This exploded in quite the dramatic scandal that's well known in the West (including murder charges having been brought against Bo's wife) but that the Chinese of course wanted to keep as low to their vests as possible. Applied within the context of the song, perhaps the narrator views the destruction of the traditional 1950s-esque "safe, happy place" concept of family as occurring in a similar way -- below the radar -- so it's nearly invisible to those directly caught up in it but blatantly obvious to anyone who looks at it from the outside.

Highlights for me are the intro, the quality of the production, Mike's bass being so prominent in the mix again, Tre's great drum fills, and the kick-ass rhythm that backs up the very dark themes contained in the lyrics. The only negative is the countdown at the end -- although I've become used to it now it strikes me as going on for too long.

Overall impression: A- and a lot of :wub:

• 4 months later...

Archived