Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Green Day Q&A Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7261 replies to this topic

Maicon Cassio

Maicon Cassio
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Joined Aug 08, 2006
  • 566 rep

The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink was on Short Music for Short People

thanks, this one I know

my doubt was that I was thinking that Life During Wartime had been realesed on Punk O' Rama or on Rock Against Bush.. but i checked out and it wasn't

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • "You bigot." - DookieLukie

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

Life During Wartime was originally released as track 1 of Pinhead Gunpowder's second album, Goodbye Ellston Avenue, in 1997 - http://en.wikipedia...._Ellston_Avenue

I'm guessing part of the reason Green Day have never released it is because the only Green Day members on it are Billie and Jason.

Tman684

Tman684
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 4,404 rep

The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink was on Short Music for Short People

That has nothing to do with anything dude

thanks, this one I know

my doubt was that I was thinking that Life During Wartime had been realesed on Punk O' Rama or on Rock Against Bush.. but i checked out and it wasn't

It was released on a KALX compilation, I can't recall the title though

Jon Benjamin

Jon Benjamin
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Joined Dec 21, 2006
  • 499 rep

That has nothing to do with anything dude
It was released on a KALX compilation, I can't recall the title though

just thought they might've thought it was that compilation, I used to confuse those

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • I swallow for Sarcasm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,311 rep

Are you sure? Cause that's not in the phone messages download. As far as I know, it was only played acoustically at KALX by Billie, not Green Day.

I got it from the phone messages download.

laly

laly
  • Moving Target

• 13,399 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 14,718 rep

What are the "multitracks"? -I'm not asking for them 'cause I remember seeing once a thread of 'no more multitracks' but I never knew exactly why they exist :lol: were they always out there?

Yesterday I listened to Letterbomb acapella on tumblr and even when there is a little noise is just way too wonderful.

Tman684

Tman684

• 10,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 4,404 rep

What are the "multitracks"? -I'm not asking for them 'cause I remember seeing once a thread of 'no more multitracks' but I never knew exactly why they exist :lol: were they always out there?

Yesterday I listened to Letterbomb acapella on tumblr and even when there is a little noise is just way too wonderful.

multi tracks are the basic units of a song - one is only vocals, one is only guitar, one is only bass, and then there are 2 or 3 for the drums. Sometimes there's "additional instruments" that have additional guitar to go behind the solo, or acoustic guitar, or whatever. but when they all are put together, they make up the song. I'll add an image in a minute for additional comprehension

mttt.png

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

To add to what Tman said, the Green Day ones became available when Rockband came out, as there was a way to extract each individual instrument track from the game. A lot of them got uploaded to YouTube but there are plenty of links to download the whole package if you know where to look.

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • I swallow for Sarcasm

• 2,809 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,311 rep

I'm so jealous that you have them. What song is that?

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Arse Doctor. PhD/Bloodqueef McOral (and Hitler)

• 14,452 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 8,826 rep

multi tracks are the basic units of a song - one is only vocals, one is only guitar, one is only bass, and then there are 2 or 3 for the drums. Sometimes there's "additional instruments" that have additional guitar to go behind the solo, or acoustic guitar, or whatever. but when they all are put together, they make up the song. I'll add an image in a minute for additional comprehension

fun fact, Welcome to the Black Parade had about 100 tracks. Also, lol audicity, I haven't used that in years! I'm surprised it still exists, it used to be the pinnacle of dung

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 466 rep

fun fact, Welcome to the Black Parade had about 100 tracks. Also, lol audicity, I haven't used that in years! I'm surprised it still exists, it used to be the pinnacle of dung

Yeah the rockband/guitar hero multis are pretty much the mixed down tracks lol

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • I swallow for Sarcasm

• 2,809 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,311 rep

100 tracks?! Wow.

I use Audacity and I like it lol.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

The multitracks are just separated into the grouped, mixed and mastered instrument tracks. Ie all the vocals are on one track, and all the guitars for the most part, etc. They're not true multitracks as all the mixing and mastering is still there. I imagine most of the newer Green Day stuff would have loads of tracks too when you account for all the layers of guitar, multitracked vocals, etc. There's usually at least two or three just for bass, and that's the simplest thing to record generally. I know Dookie is just two guitars, three vocals, two bass and 6 or 7 drums, but something like 21st Century Breakdown must be massive.

Tman684

Tman684

• 10,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 4,404 rep

I'm so jealous that you have them. What song is that?

Letterbomb

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,910 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 466 rep

The multitracks are just separated into the grouped, mixed and mastered instrument tracks. Ie all the vocals are on one track, and all the guitars for the most part, etc. They're not true multitracks as all the mixing and mastering is still there. I imagine most of the newer Green Day stuff would have loads of tracks too when you account for all the layers of guitar, multitracked vocals, etc. There's usually at least two or three just for bass, and that's the simplest thing to record generally. I know Dookie is just two guitars, three vocals, two bass and 6 or 7 drums, but something like 21st Century Breakdown must be massive.

In the GW one of Billie's tech said the trilogy had an average of 60-70 tracks if I remember right

Advertising

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

In the GW one of Billie's tech said the trilogy had an average of 60-70 tracks if I remember right

The TRILOGY?! Jesusing fuck. So much for sounding live and being a very simple setup, right?

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,910 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 466 rep

The TRILOGY?! Jesusing fuck. So much for sounding live and being a very simple setup, right?

Lol this is why I doubt Billie will EVER follow thru with his "Id like GD next album to be lo fi live album" talk of the last 10 years I think he likes the theory of a live studio album more than doing it..

I wouldnt be surprised if they attempted a song or two live and didn't like the result so they pulled a faux live production

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

Lol this is why I doubt Billie will EVER follow thru with his "Id like GD next album to be lo fi live album" talk of the last 10 years I think he likes the theory of a live studio album more than doing it..

I wouldnt be surprised if they attempted a song or two live and didn't like the result so they pulled a faux live production

Yeah, it sounds unlikely at this point. I get the impression after how much better American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown sound than previous albums that they don't really want to go back to a simpler setup, even if it would be easier to record. Honestly though, on a song like Nuclear Family or Let Yourself Go, I can't even begin to imagine how that could be split into 60 tracks.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• 4,910 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 466 rep

Yeah, it sounds unlikely at this point. I get the impression after how much better American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown sound than previous albums that they don't really want to go back to a simpler setup, even if it would be easier to record. Honestly though, on a song like Nuclear Family or Let Yourself Go, I can't even begin to imagine how that could be split into 60 tracks.

I don't think they are that many tracks per say I think they used a lot of room mics which could explain so many tracks as each mic would have it own track section

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

I don't think they are that many tracks per say I think they used a lot of room mics which could explain so many tracks

Ah ok, that would explain a lot. Especially since there aren't many overdubs by the sound of it. 

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,891 rep

Also, lol audicity, I haven't used that in years! I'm surprised it still exists, it used to be the pinnacle of dung

Really? It's always worked great for me.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

Really? It's always worked great for me.

For what it can do it's amazing to say it's free. Certain releases of it were very buggy though, and if you want to get into doing anything serious you can be pretty limited. It has got some very, very useful features though. 

laly

laly
  • Moving Target

• 13,399 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 14,718 rep

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600...

To add to what Tman said, the Green Day ones became available when Rockband came out, as there was a way to extract each individual instrument track from the game. A lot of them got uploaded to YouTube but there are plenty of links to download the whole package if you know where to look.

Thank you very much, both of you :)

I guess I should start looking for them somewhere... specially the ones from American Idiot <3 :ninja:

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • I swallow for Sarcasm

• 2,809 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,311 rep

guess I should start looking for them somewhere... specially the ones from American Idiot <3 :ninja:

Good luck.

laly

laly
  • Moving Target

• 13,399 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 14,718 rep

Good luck.

really? I won't need it :P

Tman684

Tman684

• 10,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 4,404 rep

Personally, I think Warning has the best sound. all of my albums are ripped from the CDs at 320 kbps, and Warning tracks always sound the clearest and most defined

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 7,331 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,134 rep

Personally, I think Warning has the best sound. all of my albums are ripped from the CDs at 320 kbps, and Warning tracks always sound the clearest and most defined

I have to agree with this. That and Nimrod are by far the clearest sounding. I do prefer the overall sound of 21st Century Breakdown, but it's a lot more crushed than Warning and Nimrod. I guess it's like that because it helps it sound bigger, which wouldn't suit Warning/Nimrod so much.

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,891 rep

My problem with Warning is that some tracks are really tinny. The cymbals in "Castaway" in particular hurt my ears, which is a shame as it's my favorite song from that album. So I have to give the gold standard to Nimrod.

Tman684

Tman684

• 10,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 4,404 rep

Does Jason White have kids? Didn't he have one recently?

AnxiousShrink

AnxiousShrink
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2013
  • 115 rep

I think playing like that is uncomfortable.  :lol:

Oh god, it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users