Green Day Q&A Thread

Fuzz

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you win a contest on Idiot Nation, do you get notified by email/phone or what-have-you, or do you have to check the list of winners to see if you won?

If you win a contest on Idiot Nation, do you get notified by email/phone or what-have-you, or do you have to check the list of winners to see if you won?

they'll email you.

Are Billie and Joey the only father and son to play at Warped?

Are Billie and Joey the only father and son to play at Warped?

Yes!

Can someone tell me what year or age Billie wrote Good Riddance and what year he recorded the one on the Brain Stew single? And I don't know if this is so much a question but can I have like any articles or quotes or whatever from the band about Billies lyrics and meanings. They're my favorite part of the band :)

Can someone tell me what year or age Billie wrote Good Riddance and what year he recorded the one on the Brain Stew single? And I don't know if this is so much a question but can I have like any articles or quotes or whatever from the band about Billies lyrics and meanings. They're my favorite part of the band :)

Well,i know that Billie has written time of your life in 1990/1991. He named the song "good riddance" when he had fights or whatever with his ex,when the relationship got even worse,he called it time of your life. So there we get those two names. I read it somewhere that that girl was from Ecuador,or Columbia, i don't know exactly.

I don't know an answer from your 2nd question sadly :(

Sure,go to Green Day Authority, search up a little bit,and you'll find quotes,or whatever are you looking for!

Well,i know that Billie has written time of your life in 1990/1991. He named the song "good riddance" when he had fights or whatever with his ex,when the relationship got even worse,he called it time of your life. So there we get those two names. I read it somewhere that that girl was from Ecuador,or Columbia, i don't know exactly.

Nah it was when he was writing Dookie, around 1993. He was with a girl called Amanda for about a year at that time, and then they split up and she went to Ecuador (she was in college, she just went there to study for a bit) and apparently never really spoke again for many years after that. He's said a lot of songs are about her, as well as Good Riddance there's Chump, Sassafras Roots, She, Stuart & the Ave., Whatsername, Amanda (obviously), and probably a few others too.

Nah it was when he was writing Dookie, around 1993. He was with a girl called Amanda for about a year at that time, and then they split up and she went to Ecuador (she was in college, she just went there to study for a bit) and apparently never really spoke again for many years after that. He's said a lot of songs are about her, as well as Good Riddance there's Chump, Sassafras Roots, She, Stuart & the Ave., Whatsername, Amanda (obviously), and probably a few others too.

Except she was called Erica. He just gave the name Amanda to the "character" he made her into for his songs.

Did Billie really repaint his white hollow body or is it just a different guitar?

I don't know. I didn't saw white one for a while time. But he plays that wine red. It may be the same guitar!

That's not actually evidence though. He just put a name to the woman he has been writing about in quite a few songs, but that doesn't mean it's her real name. Maybe he gave her a "fake" name to respect her privacy or something like that. I've been thinking he might have called her Amanda to fit with that Amanda Jones line in Fuck Time which is probably a reference to the Rolling Stones song "Miss Amanda Jones". Didn't know her real name was Erica though, where is that from?

That's not actually evidence though. He just put a name to the woman he has been writing about in quite a few songs, but that doesn't mean it's her real name. Maybe he gave her a "fake" name to respect her privacy or something like that. I've been thinking he might have called her Amanda to fit with that Amanda Jones line in Fuck Time which is probably a reference to the Rolling Stones song "Miss Amanda Jones". Didn't know her real name was Erica though, where is that from?

If he name her Amanda it was a lot before Fuck Time was released

He name her Amanda a lot before Fuck Time was released

Really, when? I thought that video you posted was the first time.

Really, when? I thought that video you posted was the first time.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2438

Perhaps more surprising is the song “Amanda” on ¡Tré!. It references Armstrong’s brief relationship with a militant feminist punk-rock girl, actually named Amanda, during the Gilman Street days. She broke up with him and has haunted Green Day’s body of work ever since, although usually in veiled or fictionalized form. She was the inspiration for Green Day’s mega-hit “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” and also formed the basis for the character Whatsername in21st Century Breakdown.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-uno-dos-and-tre?page=0,1

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2438

Perhaps more surprising is the song “Amanda” on ¡Tré!. It references Armstrong’s brief relationship with a militant feminist punk-rock girl, actually named Amanda, during the Gilman Street days. She broke up with him and has haunted Green Day’s body of work ever since, although usually in veiled or fictionalized form. She was the inspiration for Green Day’s mega-hit “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” and also formed the basis for the character Whatsername in21st Century Breakdown.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-uno-dos-and-tre?page=0,1

But Fuck Time was, I think, already recorded when GD did all these interviews (including the one above) about the trilogy. And it was first played in April 2010 even though I don't know if it had that line then already. I don't want to argue with you, Amanda could be her name for all I know - I'm just saying there's a possibilty it isn't.

Who is the "Amanda Jones" in "Fuck Time" lyrics?

My guess is the name refers to this:

Except she was called Erica. He just gave the name Amanda to the "character" he made her into for his songs.

Except those are two different people

yeah i was under the impression amanda and erica are two different people. i thought erica was the one who moved to ecuador? i know she's talked about a lot and there's some quotes from her in nobody likes you by marc spitz. she's also mike pelino's sister and said something about how christie road was written for her lol.

Really? I gotta buy that one day. I wish I could have Billie alone sometime so he could clear all this stuff up. I thought Amanda moved to ecuador but who the hell knows? I'm much more interested in his songs about Adie. I wanna know more about her

yeah i was under the impression amanda and erica are two different people. i thought erica was the one who moved to ecuador? i know she's talked about a lot and there's some quotes from her in nobody likes you by marc spitz. she's also mike pelino's sister and said something about how christie road was written for her lol.

According to Wikipedia (source is apparently a VH1 interview with Billie Joe):

"She" is a song by the American punk rock band Green Day. It was released as the fifth and final single from their third album, Dookie. The song was written by frontman Billie Joe Armstrong about a former girlfriend who showed him a feminist poem with an identical title.[4] In return, Armstrong wrote the lyrics of "She" and showed them to her.[4] She later dumped him and moved to Ecuador, prompting Armstrong to put "She" on the album. The same ex-girlfriend is the topic of the songs "Sassafras Roots", "Chump", and "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)".

So if the girl who went to Ecuador is called Erica, Amanda and Erica have to be the same person according to this. Unless it's Amanda who went to Ecuador. This is confusing :lol:

But Fuck Time was, I think, already recorded when GD did all these interviews (including the one above) about the trilogy. And it was first played in April 2010 even though I don't know if it had that line then already. I don't want to argue with you, Amanda could be her name for all I know - I'm just saying there's a possibilty it isn't.

My guess is the name refers to this:

But it's says actually named Amanda

It's not complicated really :lol:, this is all about one woman, the only question is what her name is and I'm pretty certain it's Amanda. When Billie lived in the "Longview" house, he had a girlfriend called Amanda who lived in an apartment upstairs. For about a year, while he was writing Dookie, they were together. Then they split up and she went to Ecuador to study. She's the girl he wrote Good Riddance and a load of other songs about. Erica is just another girlfriend he had at some point who has nothing to do with any of this.

Archived