Why Do You Want Him?

pasalaska

loooook :)

There is some confusion as to what Green Day's first gig was. After the lyrics in the 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours booklet, it says they first played at Rod's Hickory Pitt where Billie Joe's mom worked as a waitress, but during a recent interview Billie Joe said their first gig was in Davis, California with other bands like Nasal Sex and Sewer Trout. Anyway, neither of those were as important as their fourth or fifth show.

Rod's Hickory pit was Billie, Mike and Sean's first gig, under one of their early band names. Then they became sweet children. Then they played davis, then they became green day.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rod's Hickory pit was Billie, Mike and Sean's first gig, under one of their early band names. Then they became sweet children. Then they played davis, then they became green day.

Yeah, i think you're right. Their first show as Green Day actually was the last one of Operation Ivy.. I don't remember if i read that in the "Nobody Likes You"-book. Too bad i can't find it right now (shame on me...). Also it's such a nice picture: The greatest band in the Gilman scene (Operation Ivy) hands the torch to the next greatest band of the Gilman scene (Green Day).

Back to WDYWH?:

I've always liked the song, and i always thought that is was written about a girl rather than about his mother. (I also think that "In The End" isn't about his mother, either...but well...)

The greatest band in the Gilman scene (Operation Ivy) hands the torch to the next greatest band of the Gilman scene (Green Day).

Omg i think im gonna cry.

Omg i think im gonna cry.

Sarcasm? I'm not good at recognising it.

And i actually DO believe that that show has some symbolic significance.

Sarcasm? I'm not good at recognising it.

And i actually DO believe that that show has some symbolic significance.

No sarcasm. that was beautifully stated. Best bands ever. and the ramones. Which brings up that question....Why did the Ramones play with Rancid on their last show ever....and Green Day wasnt there? Can you imagine "Ramones featuring Rancid and Green Day" That'd just be awesome. whatever other bands that were there that night can go screw themselves.

No sarcasm. that was beautifully stated. Best bands ever. and the ramones. Which brings up that question....Why did the Ramones play with Rancid on their last show ever....and Green Day wasnt there? Can you imagine "Ramones featuring Rancid and Green Day" That'd just be awesome. whatever other bands that were there that night can go screw themselves.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh, that would have been really awesome. I love the Clash as well. And i always thought of Rancid being more in the vein of the Clash, while Green Day are the modern Ramones.

Because you know, the Clash - like Rancid - like to play around with various styles of music where the Ramones and Green Day stayed more to "roots" of their genre.

So the perfect week would be: Monday: Rancid, Tuesday: Ramones, Wednesday: The Clash, Thursday: Operation Ivy and Green Day as Headliner on Friday, Saturday and Sunday :D

The bands are not particulary ordered.

By the way, the version of "53rd & 3rd" with Tim and Lars is one of the greatest live performances of any song i have ever seen.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh, that would have been really awesome. I love the Clash as well. And i always thought of Rancid being more in the vein of the Clash, while Green Day are the modern Ramones.

Because you know, the Clash - like Rancid - like to play around with various styles of music where the Ramones and Green Day stayed more to "roots" of their genre.

So the perfect week would be: Monday: Rancid, Tuesday: Ramones, Wednesday: The Clash, Thursday: Operation Ivy and Green Day as Headliner on Friday, Saturday and Sunday :D

The bands are not particulary ordered.

By the way, the version of "53rd & 3rd" with Tim and Lars is one of the greatest live performances of any song i have ever seen.

The only thing that makes it better is that 53rd and 3rd is my favorite Ramones song!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that makes it better is that 53rd and 3rd is my favorite Ramones song!!!!!!!!!

It's a great song and definitely a stand out on their debut.

My favourite song by them changes from time to time, but i have a relativly rigid top 5: Glad to See You Go, Rockaway Beach, 53rd & 3rd, Babysitter, Oh, oh, I Love Her So.

It's a great song and definitely a stand out on their debut.

My favourite song by them changes from time to time, but i have a relativly rigid top 5: Glad to See You Go, Rockaway Beach, 53rd & 3rd, Babysitter, Oh, oh, I Love Her So.

lol. This is so off topic, but this SotW isnt bombing with comments, but my top 5 are 53rd & 3rd, Rockaway Beach, Today Your Love-Tomorrow The World, Pinhead, and Commando. Of course, I also love their cover of the Who's "Substitute"

Yeah, must say i read that it was about his mom's relationship with his asshole stepdad.

First thoughts on hearing the song for the first time: what a cute little boy love song! Not bad for your first song, Billlie!

Thoughts on song after learning it was supposedly re:his mom: damn, he's got some Oedipus Complex. Still a good song, though.

Thoughts on song after learning it's just another song 'bout another girl: Oh. Well that's pretty normal. Like the solo.

I like Why Do You Want Him? I think this is a pretty good song for being written by someone so young.

The first time I ever heard this song I swear I played it back to back atleast 20x if not more its seriously infectious, simple as it is I find it perfect just the way it is :happy:

• 3 weeks later...

When I found out a couple years ago that it was not about his mother and stepfather, I was disappointed because that made such a good story. But I like the way it shows how even at the age of 14 Billie Joe had a lot of empathy for other people.

While watching the video I tried to think of what I was doing in June of 1989. I remembered that my boyfriend had just broken up with me and I was heartbroken, even though that turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because he was abusive.

Wow, almost spooky. I wish I could have heard this song then.

When I found out a couple years ago that it was not about his mother and stepfather, I was disappointed because that made such a good story. But I like the way it shows how even at the age of 14 Billie Joe had a lot of empathy for other people.

While watching the video I tried to think of what I was doing in June of 1989. I remembered that my boyfriend had just broken up with me and I was heartbroken, even though that turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because he was abusive.

Wow, almost spooky. I wish I could have heard this song then.

I'm sorry you ended up in an abusive relationship, but I'm glad you got out of it. What's the actual story behind the song? I always thought it was for his mother too...

Archived