Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Neil Armstrong dead at 82

News

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

mechanicalman

mechanicalman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts
  • Joined Oct 07, 2006
  • 1,525 rep

The space program is amazing in general- but check out the documentaries on the mercury/gemini/apollo programs. Those guys were literally guinea pigs for it all and put their lives on the line. It's amazing the things we accomplished at that period of time- before computers and modern "stuff." Also- if you are ever in the area (Florida) take a tour of Kennedy Space Center. It's fucking awe inspiring. I could go on and on.

I tried watching my personal favourite In the Shadow of the Moon last night but it's been taken down from YouTube. :( Although thankfully the brilliant NASA:Triumph and Tragedy is still up. It was immense bravery. Think Armstrong himself later said he thought it was 50-50 that himself and Aldrin would make it back, and there's also that slightly unnerving statement prepared for Nixon to read should the astronauts have been stranded there. It saddens me that all the effort and sacrifice by all those people in the 60s to fulfil Kennedy's ambition wouldn't happen today, it would be deemed too risky or too expensive. I'm gonna be seriously pissed off if we don't go to Mars or at the very least back to the Moon in my lifetime.

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,742 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,305 rep
Posted Image

yet again, the young uns give me a reason to despair for humanity
but also, :lol: :lol:

RIP Neil. What a legend.

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider
  • Who-ligan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2010
  • 515 rep
R.I.P. Neil

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 525 rep

I tried watching my personal favourite In the Shadow of the Moon last night but it's been taken down from YouTube. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... Although thankfully the brilliant NASA:Triumph and Tragedy is still up. It was immense bravery. Think Armstrong himself later said he thought it was 50-50 that himself and Aldrin would make it back, and there's also that slightly unnerving statement prepared for Nixon to read should the astronauts have been stranded there. It saddens me that all the effort and sacrifice by all those people in the 60s to fulfil Kennedy's ambition wouldn't happen today, it would be deemed too risky or too expensive. I'm gonna be seriously pissed off if we don't go to Mars or at the very least back to the Moon in my lifetime.

Even the space shuttle was only questionably safe. Going to "space" is inherently dangerous. Basically- a few really tiny people are sitting on the business end of a giant missile. Then they hurl themselves around the earth at thousands of miles per hour (not hundreds, thousands ), and when it's time to come home, they better hope their heat shield didn't get damaged, or they will burn alive.

Did you know that at a space shuttle launch, no people (other than the crew aboard the ship) were allowed within a 3 mile radius of the launch pad? That's because the shock wave the launch explosion creates would RUPTURE YOUR INTERNAL ORGANS AND YOU'D BLEED TO DEATH. Yeah. The astronauts were riding on top of that. (Unmanned launches have similar restrictions. There's still a hell of a shock wave, even if it's not quite as big.)

Seriously, the explosive power behind a launch is insane. The size of these rockets is insane. They're bloody fucking huge and are massively powerful and any time an astronaut leaves the earth on one they're putting their life at risk. And that's something to be applauded. It's not for everyone.

also, i am not sure how i feel about going back to the moon (other than practice runs for when we go to mars eventually.) but i do want to see us go to mars and maybe an asteroid. I think it would be worthwhile to land on an asteroid. I am endlessly fascinated with the outer planets as well- the gas giants and their moons, but it would take lifetimes to get people out there (given current rocket technology.)

yet again, the young uns give me a reason to despair for humanity
but also, http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

RIP Neil. What a legend.

HAHAHA. oh man. *facepalm*

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • feel the boogie all night long

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,252 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,330 rep
I was so shocked to hear that.
That's so very sad, RIP Neil.

Holly

Holly
  • I Still Believe.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2005
  • 480 rep
So that's why Kasabian made everyone stare at the moon at Leeds Festival last night and dedicated a song to Neil Armstrong, I thought it was just some weird tradition.
Such sad news, RIP

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep
"This is a small step to a man, but a giant leap to a mankind." That's one of the best quotes ever, and it also describes his awesome attitude of being a celebrity. But it's still amazing that a man has walked on a moon. RIP Neil.

Cre Tool.

Cre Tool.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2011
  • 458 rep
Sad to see such a historic man pass away, but he lived for a good 82 years!
R.I.P Neil Armstrong.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,703 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 935 rep
It's sad that these guys will die of old age before we send anyone back to the Moon.

R.I.P. Niel, what a legend.

CameronM.

CameronM.
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined May 10, 2012
  • 6 rep
RIP Neil Armstrong

Sleeper Agent.

Sleeper Agent.
  • Forever Intern

• 4,654 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 2,423 rep
Posted Image

Very sad, the man did a thing that people won't forget for several hundred years at least, unless someone lands on mars or another planet. =/

littlegirl-of-suburbia

littlegirl-of-suburbia
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Joined Feb 23, 2011
  • 36 rep
43 years later he is still a legend. His name will live on in history books.
RIP Neil

greendaygal89

greendaygal89
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,733 posts
  • Joined Aug 10, 2007
  • 59 rep
i knew i came on this place for a reason, didnt even no Neil Armstrong had died. But to be fair i was at Reading Fest when it happened

cant believe he has gone so sad :(

GreenDayisAmazing

GreenDayisAmazing
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Joined Mar 22, 2010
  • 108 rep
RIP :ermm:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users