Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaymee!!

'Pregnancy Begins 2 Weeks Before Conception' Now Law In Arizona

Jaymee!!

http://thenewcivilri...012/04/13/37993

In Arizona, women are now legally pregnant 2 weeks before coneption (named the 'Woman's Health and Safety Act'), signed by Republican Governor Jan Brewer. It's designed to reduce the amount of time a woman is allowed to have a legal abortion.

Basically, nobody move to Arizona. This is definitely one of the most fucked-up things I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

Malleus

I'm really sad this isn't a spam/troll thread. That's just fucking ridiculous.

GreenRanger

Congratulations to all the female GDCers who are currently in this phase of your cycle.

It wasn't me.

Okay yeah, this law is pretty awful and wrong and a couple of biological levels. Pretty sure science decided when pregnancy started back in the day, not the government.

Undómiel

Is that supposed to be Conception? Not contraception? :P

BringMoreKnives
25543031.jpg

solongfromthestars

At first I thought it was saying that pregnancy began as soon as the baby was conceived, as in the exact night, seeing as a lot of people don't agree with that... then I thought it was a joke.

How fucking ridiculous. I don't even understand why or how this is acceptable to anybody, there's absolutely no sense in it.

Jaymee!!

Is that supposed to be Conception? Not contraception? :P

Thank you :P

Undómiel

IT's just ridiculous.

As someone said, this now means women are in a perpetual state of pregnancy.

Jack [DF]

Wait, there were people that didn't know this? The very possibility of fucking automatically means you're with child. It's SCIENCE, folks.

spark in the night

The War on Women continues....

Amanda

Jesus wept, how I wish I was born a cat and didn't have to identify with moronic humans like this.

Trotsky

Pretty much anything stupid in America that doesn't originate in the deep South comes from Arizona. These are the same people responsible for the "if you're brown and don't have your birth certificate with you at all times, any random ass cop can assume you're an illegal and detain you" law, the same state with Joe Arpaio and his birther nonsense.

The radical right isn't even trying to disguise itself anymore. Todd Akin truthfully spoke the misogynist sentiment of the entire anti-choice movement. States are proudly trying to force absolutely unnecessary transvaginal ultrasounds on any woman who wants an abortion, they are trying to make abortion functionally impossible for women even though Roe v. Wade decided they have the right to one.

If America still wants to choose Romney and the GOP this year despite the obvious authoritarian agenda which isn't even hidden from plain sight, well then hell, I guess this country will get what it deserves.

CristhyneS

This is so wrong.

So now there's a law to tell you when you're pregnant?

No offense to Americans, but sometimes it's a wonder for me how the same country where these laws exhist is a developed country and such a strong economy power.

Nemo.

this is stupid.

IS THIS THE WORLD I KNOW?

Amanda

No offense to Americans, but sometimes it's a wonder for me how the same country where these laws exhist is a developed country and such a strong economy power.

Indeed, I blame the demise of the British Empire.

Gwen Stacy

What the... ? I don't even... How does this make sense? Much less is legal? That's like saying you're guilty before you've even committed a crime. Between Todd Akin and this it's like logic and common sense don't even matter in this country anymore. Can we kick Arizona out of the United States? Please?

Hedwig

Eh, I'm not sure I understood it right. Can someone please explain?

Sleeper Agent.

Really? Wow, you could just claim pregnancy leave forever :ninja: if that does happen in the US, if you really wanted to somehow exploit a loop-hole in the system.

But, it is also one of the stupidest laws I've ever heard of on my lifetime.

beejeezee

Basically, nobody move to Arizona. This is definitely one of the most fucked-up things I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

Well know Im really dissapointed at Arizona and the fact that I live here.

tabbycat1596

So someone can be pregnant two weeks before they even have sex?

That's ridiculous. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Who the hell came up with and approved this?

signed by Republican Governor Jan Brewer.

And it's a woman that signed this?!?

Hermione

Some nutjob coming up with the idea I can understand. But it then going any further than that, and going so far that it's actually made law without it having to be justified by any kind of scientific knowledge or reasoning? Baffling.

CristhyneS

So someone can be pregnant two weeks before they even have sex?

Yes. Virgins can now be pregnant.

Maybe there was a law like this in the place where Jesus was concieved, thus explaining why he was born from a "virgin". She was a virgin 2 weeks before he was conceived, thus, she was a virgin when she got pregnant.

Well that's a mystery solved, explains a lot.

Malleus

Eh, I'm not sure I understood it right. Can someone please explain?

A girl is now legally considered pregnant in the state of Arizona two weeks before conception of the baby. Basically, she's pregnant before she has sex. It makes no sense at all.

Penguin Puffball

Well since according to this I'm technically pregnant, I guess I can now start choosing names. Any suggestions?

CristhyneS

Well since according to this I'm technically pregnant, I guess I can now start choosing names. Any suggestions?

Jesus! Because you were pregnant with him before you had sex. :P