Lady Cobra and Nightlife (feat. Lady Cobra)

iRun

OMGGGGG Listened to Nightlife again and I liked it a lot more!! Totally love Lady Cobra's parts!!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Lady Cobra, I agree that it's sounding very Foxboro Hot Tubsy, just makes me wanna dance which is exactly what I did at the London gig.

Nightlife, however, is bizarre. My brain doesn't really allow me to think it's Green Day. Good for them trying something really different, but I'm not a massive fan.

didn't it say somewhere that bille said, uno will make you feel like to party, dos will make you feel like your at the party, and tre will make you feel after the party, something like that not good with memory :lol:

didn't it say somewhere that bille said, uno will make you feel like to party, dos will make you feel like your at the party, and tre will make you feel after the party, something like that not good with memory :lol:

Basically...yes. Uno is the "getting ready for the party." Dos is when you're finally at the party...which explains why is closes with the really trippy, stoned feeling Nightlife followed by Amy (which we all know was a victim of partying. BJA even said that it's kind of a reminder that partying can have its repercussions). And that leaves Tre as the "cleaning up after the party, somewhat of a hangover" album. Can't wait til January when I can listen to all 3 albums back-to-back-to-back and hear how they all flow together.

I really love both of these new songs - and all the other ones that they played in the interview. So far, there hasn't been a single song that I dislike. :)

When I first heard Lady Cobra, I was struck by just Foxboro-ish it sounds. The kind of early garage rock sound, the raw style of singing, the sheer energy and fun of the whole thing - it's not something I've ever heard Green Day do as Green Day. This song really showcases how they can blend their FHT musicality and lyricism with what has been established as "Green Day," and it works very well. It's not overdone, but it fully captures the excitement and novelty/nostalgia of FHT. And Lady Cobra has a kind of psychedelic vibe to it too, which I love.

Nightlife, however, is the one that really stands out to me. I admit, when it first started playing I almost laughed. The hip hop percussion seemed a little comical, just because of how different it is from anything else Green Day's done before. But after that initial reaction, I realized how incredible Nightlife is. It has a very grimy, gritty, unclean feeling. It feels icky, haunting, creepy, disturbing - all of those bad adjectives. And it works perfectly! Dos is supposed to really go into the hellish depths of the party, so it makes sense that this song would really capture that sound and perspective. A lot of people were complaining about the effects on Billie's voice, but considering the meaning of the lyrics and the song's contextual position on the record, the vocal effects actually just enhance that meaning. Billie's voice sounds grimy and haunting and icky, serving to fully drive home the rest of the song's hazy, wasted sound. Add Billie's zombie vocals to the devilish, honey-sweet yet sinister whisper-y vocals of Lady Cobra, and the whole picture becomes even clearer. The lyrics, instrumentation, vocals, and effects all work together perfectly on Nightlife. I can't wait to hear the whole song, particularly in the context of the trilogy - I think there's a lot of meaning hidden in each of the songs, and it will be fun to really get to know the songs and find meanings within them and relating to each other.

I was kind of skeptical about how Nightlife would turn out before, but after hearing it I've decided that I really love it. It's a standout out of all the songs I've heard so far.

Any doubts I ever had about the trilogy are totally gone now that I've heard all the song clips from the BBC interview. Everything sounds so good, and so different. I love that Green Day can stay true to themselves and at the same time really stretch their musical boundaries and experiment with different genres and styles.

Nightlife has grown on me quite a bit, as the guys said during the interview, that song represents a moment where you're deep within the party - so I think it's fitting that it sounds quite drawling and surreal.

And Lady Cobra is just pure amazingness. Very Tubbies :eyebrows:

I really love both of these new songs - and all the other ones that they played in the interview. So far, there hasn't been a single song that I dislike. :)

When I first heard Lady Cobra, I was struck by just Foxboro-ish it sounds. The kind of early garage rock sound, the raw style of singing, the sheer energy and fun of the whole thing - it's not something I've ever heard Green Day do as Green Day. This song really showcases how they can blend their FHT musicality and lyricism with what has been established as "Green Day," and it works very well. It's not overdone, but it fully captures the excitement and novelty/nostalgia of FHT. And Lady Cobra has a kind of psychedelic vibe to it too, which I love.

Nightlife, however, is the one that really stands out to me. I admit, when it first started playing I almost laughed. The hip hop percussion seemed a little comical, just because of how different it is from anything else Green Day's done before. But after that initial reaction, I realized how incredible Nightlife is. It has a very grimy, gritty, unclean feeling. It feels icky, haunting, creepy, disturbing - all of those bad adjectives. And it works perfectly! Dos is supposed to really go into the hellish depths of the party, so it makes sense that this song would really capture that sound and perspective. A lot of people were complaining about the effects on Billie's voice, but considering the meaning of the lyrics and the song's contextual position on the record, the vocal effects actually just enhance that meaning. Billie's voice sounds grimy and haunting and icky, serving to fully drive home the rest of the song's hazy, wasted sound. Add Billie's zombie vocals to the devilish, honey-sweet yet sinister whisper-y vocals of Lady Cobra, and the whole picture becomes even clearer. The lyrics, instrumentation, vocals, and effects all work together perfectly on Nightlife. I can't wait to hear the whole song, particularly in the context of the trilogy - I think there's a lot of meaning hidden in each of the songs, and it will be fun to really get to know the songs and find meanings within them and relating to each other.

I was kind of skeptical about how Nightlife would turn out before, but after hearing it I've decided that I really love it. It's a standout out of all the songs I've heard so far.

Any doubts I ever had about the trilogy are totally gone now that I've heard all the song clips from the BBC interview. Everything sounds so good, and so different. I love that Green Day can stay true to themselves and at the same time really stretch their musical boundaries and experiment with different genres and styles.

What a great post! Brilliant descriptions of two brilliant songs.

What a great post! Brilliant descriptions of two brilliant songs.

Thank you :)

I think Nightlife is very interesting song, I love Lady Cobra's vocals on it. I've never been a fan of this kind of music, but I like how the band is trying something different. On their last few records there's that one song which is completely different from the others. Peacemaker on last record, Extraordinary Girl on AI, Warning got Misery. Nimrod got Last Ride In. Now they have Nightlife. I think this song will take place of "that one odd song on the album(s)". But after all, I really like this song. :) It's sexy! Not too rappish, I also think that it's hard to describe it as a rap-song. Zombie-punk-rap was the best description for it (thanks to Heather). It's really unnecessary to blame the band for going the wrong direction. They're not going any wrong direction with their music. The band just want to try something different and share it with their fans, I don't find that as a bad thing, not at all.

Nimrod had king for a day. Those horns just catch attention fast

Is it just me or does "Lady Cobra" have a Wolfmother sound and/or "Nightlife" have a Cage the Elephant sound?

Lady Cobra is seriously one of my all time favorite Green Day songs already. I'm so glad they've decided to embrace their Foxboro alter ego and integrate it within Green Day. Too good

Is it just me or does "Lady Cobra" have a Wolfmother sound and/or "Nightlife" have a Cage the Elephant sound?

I think that Nightlife have Gorillaz sound! Even a little bit.

Nimrod had king for a day. Those horns just catch attention fast

True that!

10 pages is too much for me. Sorry :)

I listened to those songs on my camp. Lady Cobra is great. It's rock'n'roll and I wanna dance when I'm listening to it.

I don't say that I don't like Nightlife, but this song is one of my least favorite songs. I can't say that I like it even less then Last Ride In, cos I didn't hear the whole song, but I can say only one thing. It's catchy. When I was hiking in mountains, I was singing it and it was easy to come down form the mountain.

I love Nightlife, the more I listen to it. It's starting to sound like Foxboro collided with Gorillaz and BJA beat up Damon Albarn for the right to make vocals. Love it.

Here is a higher quality version of Lady Cobra without the talking!

Awesome, thanks!

Same as most, I like Lady Cobra. Nightlife is odd. Not sure if I like it or not.

The first time i heard lady cobra i was like "FOXBORO HOT TUBS :)"

I am looking forward for iDOS!

Basically...yes. Uno is the "getting ready for the party." Dos is when you're finally at the party...which explains why is closes with the really trippy, stoned feeling Nightlife followed by Amy (which we all know was a victim of partying. BJA even said that it's kind of a reminder that partying can have its repercussions). And that leaves Tre as the "cleaning up after the party, somewhat of a hangover" album. Can't wait til January when I can listen to all 3 albums back-to-back-to-back and hear how they all flow together.

alright thanks for clearing that up :lol:

Honestly, Nightlife is my favorite of all the songs from the trilogy that have been heard so far. It's so cool, managing to stay fresh and youthful without looking like 40 year olds trying to be young. The difference in the voice sound (Billie Joe's voice is made to sound like it's through a megaphone (i think) and pretty sure its layered while her voice is cleaner) makes me sort of see it as the old(er) talking to the young. Like the lyric "taking a ride through my old haunt" implies someone reflecting on a time from long ago, while Lady Cobra is living the moments she'll reflect on later in life and is just having fun and being flirty.

It's an odd one for me. I really like Lady Cobra, just love the sound. Nightlife is weird. Can't imagine it's gonna be one of my favourites but then again it's better than a lot of music. It beats nicki minaj or Beiber any day

I'm wondering if the nightlife version we've heard is the final one, I mean, the vocals to start the song are a little too loud for me - maybe it wasn't the final mix.

I'm wondering if the nightlife version we've heard is the final one, I mean, the vocals to start the song are a little too loud for me - maybe it wasn't the final mix.

I'm pretty sure it was the final mix. It was on Billie's iPhone and there's no reason to think that he would play anything other than the final product, especially when it's the very first time the public is hearing the new material :).

My favorite lyric from Lady Cobra is the one about the dirty old man and the babysitter...but overall I think I actually slightly prefer Nightlife. They're both great though.

Archived