Lady Cobra and Nightlife (feat. Lady Cobra)

iRun

Hmmm..... anyone notice? In Lady Cobra, the repeating lyric is "I just wanna be your friend". Then we get "my angel of death is my nightlife" in Nightlife....and then, to close out Dos, we get Amy -- with (if the lyrics haven't changed much since the song's secret show previews) the repeating lyric "Do you wanna be a friend of mine?" There's some deep, deep, DEEP shit going on here, where, I think Billie may be lyrically connecting himself, his past, or maybe even his future to Amy Winehouse's experiences. Gotta wait for the official lyric sheet and the full tracks to sort it out, but this sequence of Dos songs is gonna make for one hell of a SOTW thread.

I'm not sure it's as direct to Amy's particular experience as you're saying (but maybe you're not saying that, you're just also recognizing the thematic link between the three songs ;) ) But perhaps Billie sees a connection between Lady Cobra and Amy (or is creating one in his head) where Lady Cobra is the party that's still alive and well and has potential to keep on going, and he wants to be a part of it (Amy's past, his past, Lady Cobra's present, perhaps his present, or desired present/future) but he's sensing the danger of it all in Nightlife and obviously recognizes that danger in Amy. I don't know much about Lady Cobra (or Amy for that matter, but Billie Joe knew Amy just as well as I did, y'know?) but she probably does have some things in common with Amy.

Good on ya for always making me think deeply about songs that I was just prepared to rock out to and have fun with :thumbsup: Well, I always sensed there was something deeper about Nightlife, with the angel of death line, and I'll need to actually see the real Lady Cobra lyrics before figuring it out, but I had assumed that song was a pure FBHT characterization song, didn't really connect it with Amy. Cool. Even though, I maintain, we as fans think this through possibly more than the band does :lol:

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm..... anyone notice? In Lady Cobra, the repeating lyric is "I just wanna be your friend". Then we get "my angel of death is my nightlife" in Nightlife....and then, to close out Dos, we get Amy -- with (if the lyrics haven't changed much since the song's secret show previews) the repeating lyric "Do you wanna be a friend of mine?" There's some deep, deep, DEEP shit going on here, where, I think Billie may be lyrically connecting himself, his past, or maybe even his future to Amy Winehouse's experiences. Gotta wait for the official lyric sheet and the full tracks to sort it out, but this sequence of Dos songs is gonna make for one hell of a SOTW thread.

Can you please start your own thread where only you are allowed to post and you just give us these reflections of yours for us to read and enjoy? Haha

Are you talking about the microphone stand's shadow? :P

Haha! yes. It has a red tinge so I was like... wtf is that?! XD.

I love how he does lyrics that interweave from song to song like that. He skilfully illustrates all of the conflicting feelings and constant themes that happen in a person's mind, regardless of where they are or who they are with.

Can you please start your own thread where only you are allowed to post and you just give us these reflections of yours for us to read and enjoy? Haha

Haha ! I have thought the same thing!

Ha! Probably oughta start a blog here. :lol: Thanks!!

I love how he does lyrics that interweave from song to song like that. He skilfully illustrates all of the conflicting feelings and constant themes that happen in a person's mind, regardless of where they are or who they are with.

NO...You're forgetting that on these albums the lyrics are soooooo mundane and meaningless. Billie has taken a MAJOR step back with his lyrics and they don't have any depth anymore. His new style of writing just sucks. He is being lazy now. Blah...blah..more useless shit...blah...blah. **rolls eyes** LOL!!!

NO...You're forgetting that on these albums the lyrics are soooooo mundane and meaningless. Billie has taken a MAJOR step back with his lyrics and they don't have any depth anymore. His new style of writing just sucks. He is being lazy now. Blah...blah..more useless shit...blah...blah. **rolls eyes** LOL!!!

Oh right, I forgot. Simplicity = stupidity. :lol: We should tell that to minimalists.

Sometimes less is less... And sometimes, less is more. It's a difficult concept. Well, I'm glad that Billie Joe and co. have a firm grasp on it.

Except they are giving us way more music. Because sometimes, more is also more. :D .

I prefer simpler lyrics. You know, sometimes I like just understanding what I'm reading instead of having to come here and look for the song meaning. I was pretty sick of all those metaphores. They were beautiful, but I'd rather have his current writing style. I like how not he's using beatiful expressions like in AI and 21CB but they are still simple lyrics like in 90s. The best thing from both styles is in the trilogy. I'm pretty excited to listen to the songs now.

There is a lot of depth in simplicity, too, though. And there are so many ways to take something that is simple. Like a painting of a purple square. People can start takling about different meanings of the color purple, of the square as a shape, how it all relates to society or the individual or the world...

There is a lot of depth in simplicity, too, though. And there are so many ways to take something that is simple. Like a painting of a purple square. People can start takling about different meanings of the color purple, of the square as a shape, how it all relates to society or the individual or the world...

I love that. I love when different people have different interpretations because I really enjoy a good conversation where everyone gives their opinion and arguments. I really love knowing other people's points of view. That's why I'll become a psychologist. I hope we can have many of those conversations here on GDC when ¡Uno! is out :)

I love that. I love when different people have different interpretations because I really enjoy a good conversation where everyone gives their opinion and arguments. I really love knowing other people's points of view. That's why I'll become a psychologist. I hope we can have many of those conversations here on GDC when ¡Uno! is out :)

this forum will explode when everyone will be finally able to listen to the records ;-)

this forum will explode when everyone will be finally able to listen to the records ;-)

First, hello all. I'm back for the first time since 21st Century Breakdown came out (although I HIGHLY doubt anyone remembers me anyway.

Now on to more important matters, to the above: No, the Internet and perhaps the entire world will explode when these albums come out. At the very least my head will.

As for the topic at hand, I absolutely love these songs. Lady Cobra (the song (God this whole thing will be confusing)) is like nothing I have ever heard. The crashing of Tre's drumming, Mike's bass, and the guitar is just...jaw-dropping. As for Nightlife, I had faith that the band could pull it off and they did. Billie's vocals are just entrancing and the lyrics are fairly deep. Better than most pop-rap songs that talk

about "money and bitches," and the whatnot. And Lady Cobra's (the person) part adds to the whole trippy feel of the song. Their vocals together are just drugs to me. Dos! is going to be absolutely amazing. But seeing as "It's Fuck Time" is on it, we already knew that.

And here is the all famous "Green Day Rap Song"

sad. sad. sad. i don't like it. you're going a wrong direction green day :/ :(:cry: seriously this is the worst green day I've ever heard.

Ha! Probably oughta start a blog here. :lol: Thanks!!

Or you should puyt your posts in spoilers, damn it! you give mno time to over think these songs for myself! :lol:

Well, anyways, I just gave in to temptation and listened to this (because I was so terrified after hearing Kill the DJ!). This one I really, really liked! Very FBHT, as it's already been pointed out a million and one fucking times before in this thread (and everywhere else I've heard a Green Day fan make mention of this song).

This puts my mind at ease after the let down of Kill the DJ.

I love both songs. For me, lady cobra is very tubbies. It's fast, energetic, the guitar is amazing and I think it will make everyone go crazy when they play it live.

I'm so glad green day have experimented with a different genre of music, and in my opinion they have pulled it off brilliantly. Nightlife is dark, sexy and alluring. When I listen I feel like I'm being wound in along the sinuous road of the song. I think Mike's baseline is the sexiest thing I've ever heard in a GD song. I like the distortion of Billie's voice, for me, it fits in well with the song, it adds a trippy, zoned out sort of feel. I know a lot of people are upset with GD for doing this, but I reckon nightlife is going to fit well into the context of the album as a whole, I can't wait to hear it in full. I personally would be very happy to hear more experimentation from GD in the future.

Nightlife... it's like zombie punk rap. Also the kind of song that perhaps I should get high and listen to. You sort of go into a trance listening to Billie's parts, and Lady Cobra's parts bring you out of it.

Perfect description of it! I'm addicted to the clip of that song. It's sexy and fabulous.

And yes, Lady Cobra was fantastic live. Really can't wait to have the full version of it now.

DOS will be the best of the 3 CDs

Yeah, I think ¡Dos! will be the best for me. I will have to wait to decide between ¡Uno! and ¡Tré! though but I think ¡Uno! wins as of now.

Yeah, I think ¡Dos! will be the best for me. I will have to wait to decide between ¡Uno! and ¡Tré! though but I think ¡Uno! wins as of now.

For me it's Tré! or Uno! as of right now.

I fell in love with the live version of Lady Cobra. At first, this song sounded pretty good to me - but nothing special. I listened to the snippet once and then didn't think about it again. Now that I've watched a video from the London show, I think it's an amazing song.

Who is Lady Cobra?!!!??!

Lady Cobra is a great song!! Nightlife is a little... Meh. I don't dislike it. It'll grow on me :D

I think Nightlife is very interesting song, I love Lady Cobra's vocals on it. I've never been a fan of this kind of music, but I like how the band is trying something different. On their last few records there's that one song which is completely different from the others. Peacemaker on last record, Extraordinary Girl on AI, Warning got Misery. Nimrod got Last Ride In. Now they have Nightlife. I think this song will take place of "that one odd song on the album(s)". But after all, I really like this song. :) It's sexy! Not too rappish, I also think that it's hard to describe it as a rap-song. Zombie-punk-rap was the best description for it (thanks to Heather). It's really unnecessary to blame the band for going the wrong direction. They're not going any wrong direction with their music. The band just want to try something different and share it with their fans, I don't find that as a bad thing, not at all.

Who is Lady Cobra?!!!??!

She's one of two singers for the Mystic Knights of the Cobra, a band from the Bay Area. They toured with the Foxboro Hot Tubs last year so they're friends with the band.

Hmmm..... I heard Lady Cobra at the London gig, and I have to say it was a real "stand out" song. Really fun and it has a great rock n' roll vibe, but Nightlife....

I think I'm starting to understand where my sister is coming from. She keeps saying to me Green Day have changed alot and she's not sure if she likes it. Ok, Kill The DJ I didn't like on the first listen, but now I find it really catchy and I'm looking forwad to hearing it live. Nightlife though, for me anyway, is a little too different.

It's not that I want Green Day to be doing the same thing all the time, but I think most of the other new stuff is an awful lot better.

So ya, this is the first "dud" (imo) I've heard out of the new stuff. Hopefully there won't be many other duds on the trilogy :)

Lady Cobra sounds really great, very Foxboro Hottubs. Nightlife is okey but having a rapper on a Green Day track isn't something that I wanted.

Archived