Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

Jason gets the best job out of all of them. He get to perform and go on tour with his friends and doesn't have to deal with interviews and all that shit.

I'd love to be in his shoes.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me Green Day is Billie, Mike and Tré. It has been from the beginning (even if Tré wasn't a founding member) so it would be weird seeing a forth member in, let's say, photoshoots or CD covers or promo interviews or anything like that. Of course it would be great for him and he deserves it more than anyone else, but hmm, don't know.

To me Green Day is Billie, Mike and Tré. It has been from the beginning (even if Tré wasn't a founding member) so it would be weird seeing a forth member in, let's say, photoshoots or CD covers or promo interviews or anything like that. Of course it would be great for him and he deserves it more than anyone else, but hmm, don't know.

This. I think that many people got used to trio. Green Trio, Punky Trio, Trio from Oakland and many others phrases containing words "trio" or "three" are well-known. I'm still not quite sure about my feelings about Jason. I know, he deserves it, but... I don't know. However, we've got photoshoots without him and he doesn't take part in interviews. For me it's the best option. Jason as the official member but without photoshoots.

I know I'm weird

The GDA post about this kinda annoyed me, tbh. Not because there's anything wrong with Jason being an official member if that is the case; but we certainly can't state that based on the back of the Oh Love single. It doesn't say anywhere that he's the fourth member, he's credited for playing the guitar - it's not the same. Whether people think of Jason as a member of GD or not is really up to each person, but when a big site like GDA pretty much states that he IS the fourth member, based on a credit on the backside of a single (people have been credited on albums before without being band members), it just irks me - I don't think that's a call you or any of us can make.

It's up to Green Day whether Jason is gonna be an 'official' member or not, but until they make an announcement saying so, I'll still consider him an unofficial member - an important part of Green Day, yes, but it doesn't make any sense for him to be a an actual member as long as he's not featured in photo shoots, interviews and so on. Not to mention the fact that there is a TRILOGY coming out with each of the band members faces on them - and where does that leave Jason? Pretty firm proof that he is, as of right now, NOT an official member (oh and Rob Cavallo calling him the UNofficial fourth member - what more do you really need? haha). And as far as I can see, Jason seems pretty content with the situation. As other have said, he's got the best of both worlds really - he gets to do all the fun stuff, without having to deal with the photo shoots/interviews/fame. I certainly envy him his job!

In the end it shouldn't really matter to anyone what Jason White's 'band status' is - we all know what he contributes, regardless. It just bothers me when GDA calls him an official member when in fact, it should be up to the band themselves to announce that, if/when it happens.

Peace :)

I don't really care if he's a member or not, but he actually is NOT an official member. The official members are Billie Joe, Mike and Tré. Rob Cavallo said it too, Jason is like the unofficial fourth member.. didn't Billie say that they asked Jason if he wanted to become a member, but that he said no?

Jason is more than a touring member, since he is on the albums and spends alot of time with BJ Mike and Tré, but still not official, so it's pretty wrong to write on GDA that he is an official member, when it's not even confirmed.

I love Jason though, and wouldnt care if he was a member, so don't get me wrong. :)

Additional musicans credits arent usually as big on credit tho...

Additional musicans credits arent usually as big on credit tho...

No, but since Rob Cavallo called Jason an unofficial member, I don't think GDA should say he is :)

Does it really matter?

As I said in my other post; I don't mind Jason being an official member, but since he actually isn't(from what we've heard so far), GDA shouldnt say he is, in my opinion xD

but I love Jason, so this argument makes me feel stupid haha

I guess im just in the dont care if GD is 3 people or 60 people long as they keep making great music

Jason is officially the unofficial 4th member. No one will be satisfied beyond that, so I rest my case. You people exhaust me.

naprighthere.gif

We also have NO idea how much input Jason has had on their songs. For all we know, he could have come up with half the guitar parts since American Idiot and, since he is part of the band, that would be covered in the "music by Green Day" credit. Just throwing that out there. Knowing how Jason White plays (and I think that he is a more technically sound guitar player than Billie), I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the really cool guitar stuff that we are hearing from this trilogy is due to Mr. White. I obviously can't say that for sure, but as long as we are speculating...

We also have NO idea how much input Jason has had on their songs. For all we know, he could have come up with half the guitar parts since American Idiot and, since he is part of the band, that would be covered in the "music by Green Day" credit. Just throwing that out there. Knowing how Jason White plays (and I think that he is a more technically sound guitar player than Billie), I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the really cool guitar stuff that we are hearing from this trilogy is due to Mr. White. I obviously can't say that for sure, but as long as we are speculating...

I don't know, just because this is the first time in a while that we're getting interesting guitar work doesn't mean that Billie isn't capable of doing it - just that he hasn't felt like it in a while. I don't doubt that Jason White has a big influence on them because they're friends and band mates so I imagine he did have some say on what is happening.

Jason is officially the unofficial 4th member.

I like this. Well said.

The GDA post about this kinda annoyed me, tbh. Not because there's anything wrong with Jason being an official member if that is the case; but we certainly can't state that based on the back of the Oh Love single. It doesn't say anywhere that he's the fourth member, he's credited for playing the guitar - it's not the same. Whether people think of Jason as a member of GD or not is really up to each person, but when a big site like GDA pretty much states that he IS the fourth member, based on a credit on the backside of a single (people have been credited on albums before without being band members), it just irks me - I don't think that's a call you or any of us can make.

It's up to Green Day whether Jason is gonna be an 'official' member or not, but until they make an announcement saying so, I'll still consider him an unofficial member - an important part of Green Day, yes, but it doesn't make any sense for him to be a an actual member as long as he's not featured in photo shoots, interviews and so on. Not to mention the fact that there is a TRILOGY coming out with each of the band members faces on them - and where does that leave Jason? Pretty firm proof that he is, as of right now, NOT an official member (oh and Rob Cavallo calling him the UNofficial fourth member - what more do you really need? haha). And as far as I can see, Jason seems pretty content with the situation. As other have said, he's got the best of both worlds really - he gets to do all the fun stuff, without having to deal with the photo shoots/interviews/fame. I certainly envy him his job!

In the end it shouldn't really matter to anyone what Jason White's 'band status' is - we all know what he contributes, regardless. It just bothered me when GDA called him an official member when in fact, it should be up to the band themselves to announce that, if/when it happens.

Peace :)

THIS. You said exactly what I was thinking :)

I don't really care if he's a member or not, but he actually is NOT an official member. The official members are Billie Joe, Mike and Tré. Rob Cavallo said it too, Jason is like the unofficial fourth member.. didn't Billie say that they asked Jason if he wanted to become a member, but that he said no?

Jason is more than a touring member, since he is on the albums and spends alot of time with BJ Mike and Tré, but still not official, so it's pretty wrong to write on GDA that he is an official member, when it's not even confirmed.

I love Jason though, and wouldnt care if he was a member, so don't get me wrong. :)

Yeah, that's what I was going to mention - I'm sure Billie said in interviews that they've asked Jason to be an official member of Green Day, but he declined. He just doesn't want that kind of fame and everything I think, and that's fine. He can still do what he's doing, and be their unofficial fourth member (as Rob Cavallo described it recently).

I personally think of GD as a trio - it just seems right to me. I wouldn't mind of Jason does become an official member, but I don't see that ever happening. It's just not what he seems to want.

But until there is some official announcement, Jason is not an official member of Green Day. If he was, he'd be in photo shoots and do interviews, and GD would have made that clear. Everything they've stated recently indicates that he's still not officially part of Green Day.

GDA shouldn't have posted this - it's misleading and unconfirmed. It's speculation stated as if it's fact.

I really don't know what this means. I personally have considered him an official member since 21CB (since he was in like every video off that album except "KYE" and "21CB"). Though with this, I think that if he wasn't official, his credit would be with the "Produced by Rob Cavallo" or whatever and not with the other band in the bold and bigger font.

THIS. You said exactly what I was thinking :)

Yeah, that's what I was going to mention - I'm sure Billie said in interviews that they've asked Jason to be an official member of Green Day, but he declined. He just doesn't want that kind of fame and everything I think, and that's fine. He can still do what he's doing, and be their unofficial fourth member (as Rob Cavallo described it recently).

I personally think of GD as a trio - it just seems right to me. I wouldn't mind of Jason does become an official member, but I don't see that ever happening. It's just not what he seems to want.

But until there is some official announcement, Jason is not an official member of Green Day. If he was, he'd be in photo shoots and do interviews, and GD would have made that clear. Everything they've stated recently indicates that he's still not officially part of Green Day.

GDA shouldn't have posted this - it's misleading and unconfirmed. It's speculation stated as if it's fact.

GDA usually are pretty good to tell people what's confirmed and not.. not this time.

When exactly did he start ti tour i was just eatching a tv appetence (assuming since it was professjonally filmed) of going to pasalaca and while i dont see Jason someone was playing backup cause of notes during a section billie hand was nowhere near to strum the notes

GDA usually are pretty good to tell people what's confirmed and not.. not this time.

Yep, I agree. They're pretty much always wonderful at getting news and reporting it quickly, and they're great at getting things confirmed. GDA is awesome.

But this time it was just poor journalism based on speculation instead of verified fact.

My two cents say he's not a member. In a recent interview the band said "we're the Green Day Trio". Like they've been saying ever since the possibility of Jason being in the band sprouted up. Until they stop saying that BJA MD and TC are the Green Day Trio in every/most televised interview, that's how I'll think. As far as we know, Jason White is a touring member and a session artist, and nothing more professionally. He has no input in Green Day songs yet. I'd welcome him, but he's just not there yet, and he's proud of it.

My two cents say he's not a member. In a recent interview the band said "we're the Green Day Trio". Like they've been saying ever since the possibility of Jason being in the band sprouted up. Until they stop saying that BJA MD and TC are the Green Day Trio in every/most televised interview, that's how I'll think. As far as we know, Jason White is a touring member and a session artist, and nothing more professionally. He has no input in Green Day songs yet. I'd welcome him, but he's just not there yet, and he's proud of it.

How can you legitimately say that he has no input in Green Day songs? I can't say that he does, but I think it's HIGHLY likely that he has put his two cents into things. He is an incredible guitar player and I would be shocked if he wasn't responsible for some of the cool guitar stuff that we've heard since AI. Again, I have no proof of this...just as you have no concrete proof that he hasn't had input in their writing :-)

They've also referred to themselves as the Green Day quartet once, I think at one of last year's secret shows. Honestly, the attempts to label Jason's role in the band is as stupid and petty as attempts to define what punk is and whether Green Day is punk or not. Why the fuck should it matter, the "label" of what Jason is?

They've also referred to themselves as the Green Day quartet once, I think at one of last year's secret shows. Honestly, the attempts to label Jason's role in the band is as stupid and petty as attempts to define what punk is and whether Green Day is punk or not. Why the fuck should it matter, the "label" of what Jason is?

I completely agree! I personally love that he is a member of the band...officially or unofficially. I'm only trying to play devil's advocate to people that say "he's had no say in their song writing" when, in fact, he could have had a HUGE influence and everybody is just assuming that he hasn't. Haha

Archived