Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

It doesn't say "Green Day is" but it places all four members together where it credits the members of the band known as "Green Day". If Jason was only an additional instrumentalist, then he would be listed with Tom Kitt as an additional musician on the back cover of the booklet.

Honestly, it's silly to think that someone from Green Day's organization needs to come forward and use the word "official" to integrate someone into the band when it's clear that he's been added as a fourth member. And it's not that big a deal, the guy has been playing with Billie, Mike, and Tre for the greater half of their entire career.

And for all we know Rob Cavallo was referring to Jason White in the past tense. "He has always been like their unofficial fourth member". He wasn't necessarily referring to Jason as still an unofficial member.

Exactly this. The band has a legal obligation to credit musicians at their status, because credits are essentially proof of contribution and they have to abide by whatever contract the band recorded the work under.

I'm not denying that he's part of the band. I'm simply pointing out the distinction in how he fulfills his role. It's different than how Billie, Mike, and Tré are. But the fact that they kept using "unofficial" in their descriptions is notable. (And it was present tense, in at least one of them. He said Jason *is* their unofficial 4th member, and Billie said the same using those very words.) We'll see how it goes. I'm just trying to look at the big picture and weigh all evidence fairly, rather than ignoring certain things that complicate one side or the other. Jason's listed in the album and DVD credits. He's also not involved in interviews or most photo shoots, is not credited as playing any role in the songwriting, and has not been listed as a member on official Green Day websites. The evidence is contradictory, and thus I'm going with the only suitable term for Jason's role, one which addresses both aspects of the contradicting evidence: Official unofficial member. It's the only one that works right now until we get more solid information that will clear it all up.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not denying that he's part of the band. I'm simply pointing out the distinction in how he fulfills his role. It's different than how Billie, Mike, and Tré are. But the fact that they kept using "unofficial" in their descriptions is notable. (And it was present tense, in at least one of them. He said Jason *is* their unofficial 4th member, and Billie said the same using those very words.) We'll see how it goes. I'm just trying to look at the big picture and weigh all evidence fairly, rather than ignoring certain things that complicate one side or the other. Jason's listed in the album and DVD credits. He's also not involved in interviews or most photo shoots, is not credited as playing any role in the songwriting, and has not been listed as a member on official Green Day websites. The evidence is contradictory, and thus I'm going with the only suitable term for Jason's role, one which addresses both aspects of the contradicting evidence: Official unofficial member. It's the only one that works right now until we get more solid information that will clear it all up.

That's clear, but I don't understand why you insist that he doesn't get writing credit or hasn't contributed to the writing process. He's credited as a member of Green Day and the trilogy albums are credited as "All music by Green Day, All lyrics by Billie Joe Armstrong".

that's definitely a good choice the guys made by making him an official member, because has Green Day really been a trio for the past 10 years?

Yes, and to many degrees they still are a trio, but it's not just black and white. What the future brings I don't know, but right now it's clear that Jason is still, to some extent, a secondary member to the rest of the band. To be credited as a studio musician is definitely a step up the ladder, and if you are as rigid as to say that as soon as you record in the studio, then you go from non-member to full-blown member, then yes Jason is now the fouth member, but so is Tom Kitt, Lady Cobra and the two guys from No Doubt.

Just to clear up on my end

I'm not arguing that Jason is on the same level as Billie Mike or Tre

By that I agree he doesn't

My argument is just that he is a official member to them and paperwork

But that doesnt mean he has the same say so as far as "i wrote this and thats what we are doing" and shit

By paperwork, do you insinuate that Jason most likely has been given legal rights to a 25 year long career worth of material?

Because I find that very unlikely, but that's what he should've been given to become as much of a legal part of the band and the music as Billie, Mike and Tré.

That's clear, but I don't understand why you insist that he doesn't get writing credit or hasn't contributed to the writing process. He's credited as a member of Green Day and the trilogy albums are credited as "All music by Green Day, All lyrics by Billie Joe Armstrong".

If you look up the ASCAP and search the trilogy only Billie Mike and Tre are listed if Jason hadthe wrote any of the music he'd been listed as well no artist would not leave his name off of publishing cause that mean he gets no money off the royalties.

Only those listed on the publishing gets royalties for every album sold ir everytime a song is played on the radio or tv or movie and ASCAP site is 100% legit

By paperwork, do you insinuate that Jason most likely has been given legal rights to a 25 year long career worth of material?

Because I find that very unlikely, but that's what he should've been given to become as much of a legal part of the band and the music as Billie, Mike and Tré.

No paperwork means he simply was added to the bands contract when they re signed with Reprise

Does he gets paid for Dookie no it just means hes a member of the band and of they got in a fight Jason couldnt just walk away from the band typically labels and bands dont normally just add touring members to contracts

Oh man, looks like we'd need official proof to get over this topic. Jesus, guys, get over it.

If you look up the ASCAP and search the trilogy only Billie Mike and Tre are listed if Jason hadthe wrote any of the music he'd been listed as well no artist would not leave his name off of publishing cause that mean he gets no money off the royalties.

Only those listed on the publishing gets royalties for every album sold ir everytime a song is played on the radio or tv or movie and ASCAP site is 100% legit

No paperwork means he simply was added to the bands contract when they re signed with Reprise

Does he gets paid for Dookie no it just means hes a member of the band and of they got in a fight Jason couldnt just walk away from the band typically labels and bands dont normally just add touring members to contracts

Why do you keep mentioning this contract?? I've seen others as well, as if the public now has access to such things! I don't care if you "know a guy" or not, all we have is your word. As No Rhyme or Reason said, as what I HAVE SAID numerous times now, the evidence we have is completely contradictory in every way.

Oh man, looks like we'd need official proof to get over this topic. Jesus, guys, get over it.

Well it's not asking for much ;) as I've said, a simple "Attention fans! Jason white has been officially added as a member of the rock band Green Day! Let's give him a big round of applause!"

That's all, it took me 5 seconds to type.

Why do you keep mentioning this contract?? I've seen others as well, as if the public now has access to such things! I don't care if you "know a guy" or not, all we have is your word. As No Rhyme or Reason said, as what I HAVE SAID numerous times now, the evidence we have is completely contradictory in every way.

Well it's not asking for much ;) as I've said, a simple "Attention fans! Jason white has been officially added as a member of the rock band Green Day! Let's give him a big round of applause!"

That's all, it took me 5 seconds to type.

Look fuck head someone asked what it meant i simply answered now fuck off go do something useful in life instead of post here whining bout merch making you broke and making post to me when it wasnt directed nor concerned with your ass

Haven't read all the shit here but seriously, who the fuck cares? He's probably a member but he's not with the band in any interviews or such things. I seriously don't even care wether he's a member or not. He's been with them for such a long time now anyway, and many people already consider him as a member. I mean ,man, they haven't been a trio for years. So who the fuck cares if it's official or not, probably most of you but as a said, I personally don't. Act your age people, and be nice to each other :)

Look fuck head someone asked what it meant i simply answered now fuck off go do something useful in life instead of post here whining bout merch making you broke and making post to me when it wasnt directed nor concerned with your ass

ooh that seemed almost personal! I make a valid point and this is how you react? for a grown man who is of "high esteem" in your area of expertise you sure do have some temper! It concerned me mainly because you keep using the same bullshit excuse for no reason when others, not just me, have already called it out as useless in the discussion. Also man, you've posted on this thread at least twice as much as me. I'm a college kid with free time throughout the day and no responsibilities besides class and homework, what's your excuse?

I'm probably done replying to you not because of your fearsome might or reasoning, but simply because it's like dealing with a kid. You say the same thing over and over yet it never gets through. If you had actually read my post, you would have seen that it wasn't directed entirely at you either, just the first bit. The second half wasn't about you at all actually! You should really get that name calling under control, it's very immature. I'm not claiming to be mature, but I sure do know immaturity when I see it. Trust me, fresh out of high school, I know a lost cause when I see one. ;o

In fact, this whole thread should be closed until something official comes out, as in something from the label. Every valid point has been made for both sides, ending with the obvious, and I'm quoting, "officially unofficial" status of Jason. It fits perfectly and has even been said by the band themselves. If it's left open then fine, the debate will continue but I see very little debate occurring, as I myself am tired of saying the same thing and seeing others repeat that same thing to no avail, and I'm sure others are exhausted with this game as well.

Seriously, both of you need to fucking chill out. This isn't even that important. There's a line where it stops being debate and it starts being shitheadedness.

I'm telling the mods.

I'm telling the mods.

Shit just got real...

Stop acting like babies, do you even realize what you're actually arguing about?

If you keep the personal argument up in this thread, well, we'll do stuff. So one of you can start a PM, and you can bitch all you want there.

Yes, and to many degrees they still are a trio, but it's not just black and white. What the future brings I don't know, but right now it's clear that Jason is still, to some extent, a secondary member to the rest of the band. To be credited as a studio musician is definitely a step up the ladder, and if you are as rigid as to say that as soon as you record in the studio, then you go from non-member to full-blown member, then yes Jason is now the fouth member, but so is Tom Kitt, Lady Cobra and the two guys from No Doubt.

Yes, you're absolutely right but Tom Kitt, Lady Cobra and the 2 guys from No Doubt do not play live with the guys! :P

about the people bitching that other people should stop their discussion whether jason is a new member and all this stuff...isnt a forum supposed to be a place where you can share your thoughts and discuss such things?..

i dont see jason as a 'full' member..but still he belongs to Green Day in many ways..

about the people bitching that other people should stop their discussion whether jason is a new member and all this stuff...isnt a forum supposed to be a place where you can share your thoughts and discuss such things?..

i dont see jason as a 'full' member..but still he belongs to Green Day in many ways..

Yeah, discuss things, right. But to start to get personal against a person you never even met, then it's not discussing we're talking about. It would be like if I called you a retarded motherfucker now because you said that me among others were "bitchinng". You wouldn't mind if that was the case? I just think there's no need to begin to fight on a forum over such a shitty little thing.

Anyways ontopic: If you don't see him as a sort of a full member then how could he still belong to Green Day? Because he's playing shows with them, then he belongs to Green Day?

White Tim just answered the question, but yeah, I was referring to the official writing credits listed on ASCAP. Those are 100% legit because the band or their manager has to send them the information on who wrote songs, and legally, they must be accurate. All the new songs only list Billie, Mike, and Tré. Except Nightlife - that was only written by Billie and Lady Cobra.

Yeah, discuss things, right. But to start to get personal against a person you never even met, then it's not discussing we're talking about. It would be like if I called you a retarded motherfucker now because you said that me among others were "bitchinng". You wouldn't mind if that was the case? I just think there's no need to begin to fight on a forum over such a shitty little thing.

Anyways ontopic: If you don't see him as a sort of a full member then how could he still belong to Green Day? Because he's playing shows with them, then he belongs to Green Day?

he plays shows with them for a long time now..he helps them with the albums and recordings and their creative work..hard to explain yeah..but in the end its not that important for me whether he is a full member or not, as long as GD write music and play shows and share their music with the fans :)

I'll be on the next flight out!

Right,whatever.

Jesus man, grow up. Sorry not everyone worships the fucking ground you walk on. I gave a very simple demand; the label issue something definitive and I'll take that. A small little statement, not unlike the dozens they release on Idiot Club for much smaller things. A small 2 sentence statement and I'm happy. Just a little something OFFICIAL, the key word to the whole discussion.

Why do you need an official statement what does that do for you... It has come from the horses mouth so to speak with Billie and at the end of the day its Billies Mikes and Tres decsion if Jason is an official member do we really need paper work.. its fucking stupid.. anyway JASON IS AN OFFICIAL MEMBER Y'ALL DEAL WITH IT (JESSE PINKMAN STYLE ) BITCH! :P

XD HAHA man, I agree with you, but I've been saying that exact thing this whole time. I don't know about the contract of course, as it's confidential.

Regardless of legalities, I don't like Jason either, what we've seen of him.

Wait so you dont even like Jason... oh that explains why you wont just see he is an official member

The movie has been delayed multiple times, so therefore the credits are wrong, and Jason White is not a member of Green Day.

Some of you people's arguments are just hilarious.

Umm yes he is...

Yes, you're absolutely right but Tom Kitt, Lady Cobra and the 2 guys from No Doubt do not play live with the guys! :P

No, but other people do

Neither Billie, Mike, Tre nor Jason has ever used the word "official" to describe Jason's position in the band (probably because they couldn't care less what he's labelled as). What's the obsession with this fan-invented term? I challenge everyone to stop saying the band has called him an "official" member and to quote their actual words instead :D

Umm yes he is...

Sarcasm :thumbsup:

Why do you need an official statement what does that do for you... It has come from the horses mouth so to speak with Billie and at the end of the day its Billies Mikes and Tres decsion if Jason is an official member do we really need paper work.. its fucking stupid.. anyway JASON IS AN OFFICIAL MEMBER Y'ALL DEAL WITH IT (JESSE PINKMAN STYLE ) BITCH! :P

Wait so you dont even like Jason... oh that explains why you wont just see he is an official member

Umm yes he is...

What it does for me is explain exactly what's going on with the inner workings of my favorite group. By definition, we do need paperwork to make it official. I don't like Jason, but that isn't why I don't see him being a full member. No, why I don't see him as a full member has been clearly stated throughout this thread with facts, evidence, and others input on the subject. As of right now, Jason is NOT an official member. At least not to the public, which is how we are discussing it. What he is to BJ, Mike, and Tre? I don't know, as I don't know them personally. They might consider him an equal of sorts, but nothing we have indicates that he is on their level.

I'm pretty much done with this discussion, because people like you keep joining in at random trying to make a point that has already been disproved. You can't debate something with someone who doesn't allow any room for the opposing views. I've tried to be really understanding of both sides the whole time, but the facts have been laid out and gone over by everyone, arriving at the "official unofficial" title of Jason.

Neither Billie, Mike, Tre nor Jason has ever used the word "official" to describe Jason's position in the band (probably because they couldn't care less what he's labelled as). What's the obsession with this fan-invented term? I challenge everyone to stop saying the band has called him an "official" member and to quote their actual words instead :D

Sarcasm :thumbsup:

Maybe the official thing came from some article that slapped the title on it? That's what I was thinking because so many seem to feel it was said. Of all the posts and interviews about Jason I never saw the word official used by anyone, or anything they said that might indicate "official".

White Tim just answered the question, but yeah, I was referring to the official writing credits listed on ASCAP. Those are 100% legit because the band or their manager has to send them the information on who wrote songs, and legally, they must be accurate. All the new songs only list Billie, Mike, and Tré. Except Nightlife - that was only written by Billie and Lady Cobra.

If I remember correctly BJ did say that Jason helped with the guitar tones on the trilogy, so I suppose that's where the confusion is coming from?

Maybe the official thing came from some article that slapped the title on it? That's what I was thinking because so many seem to feel it was said. Of all the posts and interviews about Jason I never saw the word official used by anyone, or anything they said that might indicate "official".

Well whether they've said/done anything to indicate it is another matter. It's just the arguing over a term the band hasn't even used that amuses me slightly :lol:

Well whether they've said/done anything to indicate it is another matter. It's just the arguing over a term the band hasn't even used that amuses me slightly :lol:

Well of all the quotes and article clippings that have been brought into the discussion, most didn't indicate the official status either. At first it seemed so, but on a second reading you realize that it was worded almost intentionally to deceive us. I often wonder if the group is almost playing a joke on us by not stating it clearly. It just seems like such a big thing to not publicize at all really. I'd be really amused if it was a joke ;)

Nobody from Green Day has OFFICIALLY said Jason is an official member.End of discussion.We still love him though and always will.

Archived