Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

I enjoy this. I love the line people draw in the sand to declare what makes someone a band member. I also love the idea that people think promo photos and magazine interviews are more important than making music.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy this. I love the line people draw in the sand to declare what makes someone a band member. I also love the idea that people think promo photos and magazine interviews are more important than making music.

Do we know if he actually wrote the music? Or did he just perform it in the studio?

Do we know if he actually wrote the music? Or did he just perform it in the studio?

I don't know. The reason I'm fine with what we posted on GDA is because his name is not a smaller font, it's the same size the other 3. On other albums it's always been "additional musicians" in subtext of an album, and this time he's right up there.

Sure what we posted was more speculative than anything. I guess if Uno comes out and he's back to subtext and listed with Rob or any other musicians, then we can go back to saying official unofficial member. But at least for Oh Love he's being given the same amount of credit as Tre and Mike, so I think that's interesting.

What does it matter?

You'd consider Dave Grohl a member of Nirvana wouldnt you? But he only wrote 1 song in their catalog

What does it matter?

You'd consider Dave Grohl a member of Nirvana wouldnt you? But he only wrote 1 song in their catalog

He wrote the drums to Nevermind and In Utero?

I don't know. The reason I'm fine with what we posted on GDA is because his name is not a smaller font, it's the same size the other 3. On other albums it's always been "additional musicians" in subtext of an album, and this time he's right up there.

Sure what we posted was more speculative than anything. I guess if Uno comes out and he's back to subtext and listed with Rob or any other musicians, then we can go back to saying official unofficial member. But at least for Oh Love he's being given the same amount of credit as Tre and Mike, so I think that's interesting.

I'd call him an official band member if he contributes to the writing of the music. If Billie writes all the guitar parts and then Jason performs in the studio to record it, then Id call him a studio and touring musician. However, Billie is perfectly capable of recording all the guitar parts himself. So allowing Jason to record is showing they want him to be part of the record.

Its tricky. It's like painting a picture but you let someone else do the brush strokes. However, if Jason came up with some of those strokes, then he is definitely due some credit.

FUCK IT. CALL HIM OFFICIAL. However, I still like the idea of the trio more. The guitar solos havent quite grown on me. They are better suited for FBHT for now.

FUCK IT. CALL HIM OFFICIAL. However, I still like the idea of the trio more. The guitar solos havent quite grown on me. They are better suited for FBHT for now.

I think the fact that a lot of these guitar solos DO sound very Foxtubby is all the more reason to believe Jason is responsible for a good chunk of them.

I'm pretty sure no one implied that promo photos and interviews are more important than making music. We're just citing those as evidence.

But be logical - there's a LOT more evidence (much of it quite recent) to indicate Jason is not an official member of Green Day. There is just one piece of evidence to suggest he could be officially part of GD; conversely, there are the promo photos, the album trilogy featuring *each* of them members of Green Day on the album covers (according to one of the articles, I forget which), interviews where they describe themselves as a trio, and the article where Rob labeled Jason the "unofficial fourth member." The "Jason isn't an official member" side has a lot more evidential support; the "Jason is now an official member" side has only 1 (rather inconclusive and flimsy) example.

The Oh Love single doesn't even say "Green Day is..." - it just lists who played what. And it's just a single, not the album's liner notes (which will more than likely clear this up).

But you're just jumping to conclusions to, I don't know, satisfy fantasies or give Jason the validation you feel he deserves, or something. You shouldn't ignore all the evidence against this idea and just throw it out in favor of the one example you do like. That's unprofessional, at least for a source of news (as GDA is).

The smaller font argument is rather weak...

And since it "speculative than anything," you could have made sure the post clearly communicated that. The way it is makes it sound like confirmed official news, but it's not.

What does it matter?

Whether or not someone helps write songs isn't indicative of being a band member.

There are bands where all the songs are written by just one or two people, but the other band members aren't really songwriters. Kind of like Dave Grohl and Nirvana, as you mentioned. And No Doubt, for example: Their drummer is rarely credited as a songwriter (whereas the other 3 are), but he is an official member of No Doubt. Likewise, sometimes bands get songwriting help from other people who are not members of the band. Whether someone contributes in the writing process doesn't necessarily mean that person is or isn't a part of the band proper.

It is more complicated, but basically whatever the band says is it. Pretty much always, the official band members will all be in the promo pictures and interviews. That makes it clear to the consumers who these people are, so these are the most popular contexts for making that distinction.

He wrote the drums to Nevermind and In Utero?

Nope Kurt did Dave was a co writer for Scentless Apprentise thats why the booklets say "words and music by Kurt Cobain"

Nope Kurt did Dave was a co writer for Scentless Apprentise thats why the booklets say "words and music by Kurt Cobain"

Ive watched a documentary about the making of Nevermind and Dave Grohl said that on Smells Like Teen Spirt his goal was to not play anything too crazy. Just to keep it simple and that it worked amazing and he kept that attitude towards most of the drums on that album...

Sounds like he wrote the drums to me.

He is credited for that only other song that was new during Dave's time was something in the way all others were done when Chad was in the group and Chad has said "Kurt wrote the drums" Kurt was a drummer before he played guitar im a die hard Nirvana fanatic

Dave/Krist co worte slts aneursym scentless apprentice Dave wrote the b side Marigold by himself all others are listed as kurt for music and lyrics

But be logical - there's a LOT more evidence (much of it quite recent) to indicate Jason is not an official member of Green Day. There is just one piece of evidence to suggest he could be officially part of GD; conversely, there are the promo photos, the album trilogy featuring *each* of them members of Green Day on the album covers (according to one of the articles, I forget which), interviews where they describe themselves as a trio, and the article where Rob labeled Jason the "unofficial fourth member." The "Jason isn't an official member" side has a lot more evidential support; the "Jason is now an official member" side has only 1 (rather inconclusive and flimsy) example.

And Jason still isn't claimed as band member on band's facebook.

This entire post is a massive overreaction. The dude's been playing with them for years. Who gives a fuck if it's officially official? He's a fourth member to us. Why are you so hell-bent on proving that Jason's not part of the band?

I think he is not an official member of Green Day, it's just that they just have to credit him. You know, he did some helps.

This could bother me just because I'd have to choose if it's more correct to say "the Green Day trio" or "the Green Day quartet", but I can stick to a general "band" and no problem :P

It'll just be interesting to see if he will be credited in the same way for all the three albums.

He's been with the band for such a long time that we don't even have to welcome him, if it's gonna be more "official" it'll be a natural, slow, silent- and not intrusive- change I think :happy:

Congratulations Jason White! You've unlocked the "Green Day Member badge" on 4-Sq, after 13 years of check-ins!

I'm surprised that so many seem so resistant to the thought of the band picking up a friend along the way on their 23+ year journey.

This entire post is a massive overreaction. The dude's been playing with them for years. Who gives a fuck if it's officially official? He's a fourth member to us. Why are you so hell-bent on proving that Jason's not part of the band?

I'm not saying that I'm against him being part of the band. I mean, I'm used to GD being a trio, but I'm by no means opposed to him joining the band. He's obviously a great guitarist and has been with them for years.

But it is important to weigh all the evidence fairly, and GDA's post did not do that. It took one very minor clue and ran with it, completely ignoring what the band as indicated in the last few months.

I don't care if he's a fourth member to you or anyone else and GDA. Go ahead and consider him that - you probably have been for years now anyway. But he's not an official member until proven otherwise.

I'm just annoyed at the extremely poor journalism and lack of regard for contrary evidence. The whole point of this thread and the GDA post was about whether it's "officially official," and that's why I care about it so much. It's not "officially official" until Green Day comes out and says it is. Until then it's exactly how it's been for the last decade - people personally thinking of him how they want.

Didn't mean to overreact. But it's not about Jason, it's about what we actually do and don't know. This thread was fine, with people stating their opinions. But to - as a news site - announce that he's listed as an official member of the band is misleading and poor analysis. I'm not trying to prove Jason is not a member of the band - I'm proving that we have no concrete reason to assume he is. All the evidence points to the contrary. If he ends up becoming a member of Green Day, that's great. But until then it sounds like he is not officially part of the band.

I'm surprised that so many seem so resistant to the thought of the band picking up a friend along the way on their 23+ year journey.

I don't think most of are resistant to him being in the band. He's been a very important part of the band for years now, so it'd be cool.

It's mostly just people explaining why they think this idea is not well-enough supported, given the large amount of contrary evidence. One picture with vaguely indicated musician credits should not outweigh all the promo photos, interviews, and direct quotes saying he's not a member of the band (at least not now). It's more about the news than whether he should be in the band. I'm personally not convinced by the Oh Love single. I think they other info we have is more direct and more worthy of our attention.

Can people please stop using the "he's not an official member because this is an album trilogy and all their faces are on it..." argument? They did not decide to do an album trilogy because there are 3 of them. If you remember, from the articles, they debated a dual album. The reason for not doing that wasn't that there are 3 band members. It was because of all the material they had. Regardless of what your thoughts are on the topic, don't make up stupid shit to support it. :-)

Can people please stop using the "he's not an official member because this is an album trilogy and all their faces are on it..." argument? They did not decide to do an album trilogy because there are 3 of them. If you remember, from the articles, they debated a dual album. The reason for not doing that wasn't that there are 3 band members. It was because of all the material they had. Regardless of what your thoughts are on the topic, don't make up stupid shit to support it. :-)

Maybe Jason will be on the cover of Cuatro?

I don't care if Jason is an official member or not, as i said. I think we all overreacted.. but i still think GDA should've said the truth; that we actually don't know if he's an official member or not.

Saying Jason isn't an "official member" doesn't mean we don't want him to be. It just means we're pointing out that he isn't. He and the band all seem happy for him to be a part of Green Day as an "unofficial member". Up until just now he's never played on OR written on a single Green Day song - all he's done is learn the songs they've written and helped play them live. When people say "he's been with them for 10 years, it's about time" they forget all he's actually done is play guitar live. Does that make him an awesome and extremely valuable part of Green Day? Yes. Does it make him an official member of Green Day? No.

Now he's playing on the songs and may or may not have helped write them. That's great! But it's not up to us to decide he's suddenly an official member based on that, it's up to him. So far he's decided to remain no more than an unofficial member, and until he or the band say otherwise I see no reason to insist on labeling him otherwise.

How can you legitimately say that he has no input in Green Day songs? I can't say that he does, but I think it's HIGHLY likely that he has put his two cents into things. He is an incredible guitar player and I would be shocked if he wasn't responsible for some of the cool guitar stuff that we've heard since AI. Again, I have no proof of this...just as you have no concrete proof that he hasn't had input in their writing :-)

If Jason had contributed to writing songs Green Day would have credited him for it. They'd have to be massive wankers to let him contribute but NEVER credit him for it or mention it, or to use some loophole where they just say "Green Day" wrote it so they never have to admit he helped. And they're not massive wankers. Since he's now playing guitar on songs they're crediting him fairly for it, and if he's contributed to writing the songs they'll credit him on the album for it and probably mention it in interviews too since they're decent people.

Think about how Billie introduces "Green Day" when they play live. They list themselves and all the extra musicians completely equally, because as far as playing the show is concerned they're all equal, and they're not petty egotists who need to put themselves higher up. Same goes for this single - they all played on it so they've listed Jason equally for his contribution to the single like the fair people they are. Does that mean anything more? That he's now an official member? Who knows! We don't, so we shouldn't assume :)

Interrupting the debate/discussion to post a Jason White's dancing appreciation post.

Saying Jason isn't an "official member" doesn't mean we don't want him to be. It just means we're pointing out that he isn't. He and the band all seem happy for him to be a part of Green Day as an "unofficial member". Up until just now he's never played on OR written on a single Green Day song - all he's done is learn the songs they've written and helped play them live. When people say "he's been with them for 10 years, it's about time" they forget all he's actually done is play guitar live. Does that make him an awesome and extremely valuable part of Green Day? Yes. Does it make him an official member of Green Day? No.

Now he's playing on the songs and may or may not have helped write them. That's great! But it's not up to us to decide he's suddenly an official member based on that, it's up to him. So far he's decided to remain no more than an unofficial member, and until he or the band say otherwise I see no reason to insist on labeling him otherwise.

If Jason had contributed to writing songs Green Day would have credited him for it. They'd have to be massive wankers to let him contribute but NEVER credit him for it or mention it, or to use some loophole where they just say "Green Day" wrote it so they never have to admit he helped. And they're not massive wankers. Since he's now playing guitar on songs they're crediting him fairly for it, and if he's contributed to writing the songs they'll credit him on the album for it and probably mention it in interviews too since they're decent people.

Think about how Billie introduces "Green Day" when they play live. They list themselves and all the extra musicians completely equally, because as far as playing the show is concerned they're all equal, and they're not petty egotists who need to put themselves higher up. Same goes for this single - they all played on it so they've listed Jason equally for his contribution to the single like the fair people they are. Does that mean anything more? That he's now an official member? Who knows! We don't, so we shouldn't assume :)

I don't think it's using a loophole, but if everybody is saying that Jason doesn't want the spotlight, then what's to say that they have offered him writing credit and he says something to the affect of, "we're a band and we all have input, so just credit Green Day." Again, I have no proof of this, but I think it would fit very well with the Jason White being low-key thing.

I don't think it's using a loophole, but if everybody is saying that Jason doesn't want the spotlight, then what's to say that they have offered him writing credit and he says something to the affect of, "we're a band and we all have input, so just credit Green Day." Again, I have no proof of this, but I think it would fit very well with the Jason White being low-key thing.

I still think they'd credit him. He's credited equally with the rest of the band on the Foxboro Hot Tubs album and happy to be known as a member of that band. And he mentioned in an interview last year that the band "let him" write the guitar solo for Mother Mary and he was really pleased. To me that pretty much confirms that he hadn't written stuff for Green Day before. I totally get that he likes to keep things low key but I don't think that would extend to not being given fair credit for his work, a little credit in an album booklet wouldn't have to raise his profile or change his role in the band unless he wanted it to.

I guess the test of that will be seeing if he's credited for helping write songs on the new albums, which seems like a strong possibility. If he is, does that mean he's automatically an official member of the band? I don't think so. I think that's still entirely up to him and the band. He can be an official band member or he can remain an unofficial one who now contributes to writing and playing on albums as well as playing live. Their choice not ours!

Maybe Jason will be on the cover of Cuatro?

THAT.

When I first heard of ¡Cuatro!, I automatically thought that it's possible that Jason will be on the cover.

THAT.

When I first heard of ¡Cuatro!, I automatically thought that it's possible that Jason will be on the cover.

If it was a fourth album with B-sides I could see it... but for a movie... I highly doubt it. It'll probably have the three guys on the cover.

Archived