Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

I'm pretty sure the answer to this should've been way back when Billie clearly said Jason is the fourth member of Green Day. I don't know how people still don't get it

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was referring to the Guitar World interview, but I had the quote wrong.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guitarworld.com%2Finterview-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-uno-dos-and-tre%3Fpage%3D0%2C1&ei=WStfUYiSE8OQ2AWim4GgBQ&usg=AFQjCNE-8PfxqAjMa-uIE0xB6EYwrAz1SQ&sig2=1dg8-QfttZdBaOyBFSPhIA

Still, that's not really my point. Whether or not Jason has a contract with the band and the label should be the irrefutable evidence one way or the other, I would think.

Well he's been added to GD's contract according to my source (an executive at Access Industries which owns WMG) but i will admit that i havent seen the contract so cant say with 100% fact

For outsiders, it would be difficult to verify that information. But if it's true, I think it puts the argument to rest.

Guys, in ¡Cuatro! There's a part where Billie says '' In this recording we have a fourth member'' and they focus Jason

also:

His been 10 years with us, so with not Jason become ¡CUATRO!

How is this still a topic?! Guys come on! Head over to greenday.com and you will see "Follow Green Day on Instagram"...and a giant image of Jason followed by details of all FOUR instagram names. People have seriously gotta stop second guessing/assuming everything Billie, Tre or Mike say (in relation to Jason and indeed in relation to a lot of things lol) is taken out of context or them being frivolous. Billie has said Jason is a fourth member...does he have to carve it into stone before it can be taken seriously? He is part of the band...and I for one am very pleased.

How is this still a topic?! Guys come on! Head over to greenday.com and you will see "Follow Green Day on Instagram"...and a giant image of Jason followed by details of all FOUR instagram names. People have seriously gotta stop second guessing/assuming everything Billie, Tre or Mike say (in relation to Jason and indeed in relation to a lot of things lol) is taken out of context or them being frivolous. Billie has said Jason is a fourth member...does he have to carve it into stone before it can be taken seriously? He is part of the band...and I for one am very pleased.

I think the first evidence we got was when Oh Love single was released on Japan and it listed Jason as a member, but people continued arguing about it, so why should we stop with this?

Is anyone really claiming he isn't part of the band though? It seems to be more a desire to (accurately) point out that there's still a difference between Billie, Mike and Tre's roles in the band and Jason's role in the band. No biggie, it's just that that combined with the fact that there's never been a big announcement or anything means there's still a bit of disagreement over whether he's "official" or not - not least because not everyone necessarily has the same definition of "official". Part of the band - certainly. Exactly the same equal role in the band with Billie Mike and Tre - as yet I'd still say no. Just because someone wants to point that out it doesn't mean they're dissing Jason, it's just interesting to observe and discuss his role in the band (especially as that role changes/grows).

I think the first evidence we got was when Oh Love single was released on Japan and it listed Jason as a member, but people continued arguing about it, so why should we stop with this?

Because it is pointless and a little insulting to ignore Billie who happens to actually be a member of the band and therefore his words should on the issue should be taken as THE last word. All this crap about proof? We aren't talking about a scientific experiment here it's a bunch of friends who play together...only Billie, Mike and Tre can decide if Jason is now part of the band and Billie has said he is. That really is all there is to it...no lab coat required.

Is anyone really claiming he isn't part of the band though? It seems to be more a desire to (accurately) point out that there's still a difference between Billie, Mike and Tre's roles in the band and Jason's role in the band. No biggie, it's just that that combined with the fact that there's never been a big announcement or anything means there's still a bit of disagreement over whether he's "official" or not - not least because not everyone necessarily has the same definition of "official". Part of the band - certainly. Exactly the same equal role in the band with Billie Mike and Tre - as yet I'd still say no. Just because someone wants to point that out it doesn't mean they're dissing Jason, it's just interesting to observe and discuss his role in the band (especially as that role changes/grows).

Not really directed at you but since your post is the most recently to bring up input

Let me ask

Would you consider Smashing Pumpkins (the original line up) Billy Corgan James Iha Darcy Jame Chamberlion?

If so may I ask why when James Darcy and James did not write nor recorded on any parts of Siamese Dreams and only recorded less than half of Mellon Collie? Siamese Dreams was all Billy writing him recording all guitar bass and drums (Billy hated the others playing and re did it himself) and Mellon Collie they only performed on 12-13 of the final 28 tracks

So if they are to be considered members who had no input or hell recorded parts

Then why downplay Jason's role?

Not really directed at you but since your post is the most recently to bring up input

Let me ask

Would you consider Smashing Pumpkins (the original line up) Billy Corgan James Iha Darcy Jame Chamberlion?

If so may I ask why when James Darcy and James did not write nor recorded on any parts of Siamese Dreams and only recorded less than half of Mellon Collie? Siamese Dreams was all Billy writing him recording all guitar bass and drums (Billy hated the others playing and re did it himself) and Mellon Collie they only performed on 12-13 of the final 28 tracks

So if they are to be considered members who had no input or hell recorded parts

Then why downplay Jason's role?

It's not so much about how much he contributes, it's that the band themselves still choose to present him differently. The way he's presented in promotional material and interviews etc, and also in many artistic aspects of the band such as music videos and live on stage, isn't currently on the same level as Billie Mike and Tre. But that's fine! And it doesn't mean I'm saying he's not a member of the band. Making that observation about his role isn't downplaying it imo. Pretending everything has to be black and white and that the only acceptable thing to say is "THEY'RE ALL OFFICIALLY IN THE BAND THEY'RE ALL THE SAME" seems a less accurate and rational way of looking at it than acknowledging the differences to me.

But his pictures are on promotional items the media has even started mentioning him as a member. Music videos he's been featured him Billie is in Cautro calling him a member I don't see why this thread is still open

But his pictures are on promotional items the media has even started mentioning him as a member. Music videos he's been featured him Billie is in Cautro calling him a member I don't see why this thread is still open

This thread is for the people who are interested in discussing Jason's changing role in the band to do so. Just because his current role meets your definition of "official" it doesn't mean the thread's going to be closed. I agree with you that his role is becoming bigger and bigger in those areas - exactly why some people find it interesting to talk about it.

If and when there's truly nothing to discuss, people will stop discussing it and this thread will drop off the front page and go away on its own. Posting in it to say "why is this thread still open?" won't help it do that :P

It might still be confusing for some people. As Hermione pointed out, it's not black and white, and it doesn't have to be. I, for one, cannot really imagine Green Day without him anymore. However, I can't properly wrap my head around the concept of "Green Day, a four member band". It's been a trio for far too long, people are used to it, and yes, even if Billie Joe says he's a member of the band in ¡Cuatro!, people who have known Green Day for long are too used to the idea of it being Billie Mike and Tré. And while he might appear in some music videos and the cover of ¡Cuatro! (and artwork of the whole trilogy), he's not yet seen interviews and press conferences and that type of events.

And certainly I think that Jason is a member of Green Day, but, also as Hermione pointed out, not in the same way that Billie, Mike and Tré are. I haven't watched ¡Cuatro! myself, but if the JIGD13 quoted Billie correctly in his post above, he said "In this recording we have a fourth member", and I think that reflects that they see him as a member, but perhaps not an equal member? (for lack of a better word! please don't jump on me! I'm NOT meaning he's less, but simply not equal, not in the same way), I mean, he doesn't go around saying "I'm the first member of the band, he's the second and that other one is the third!" (even if the covers of the trilogy say otherwise :lol: ).

It's only natural that people want to discuss this thing. Why shouldn't they?

i think he is an official member :) Cuz well, he was there with them before the band even started, he was there from the beginning! And when the band got together, he himself didn't want to be an official member cuz he knew that GD are 3 not 4, he accepted the fact and kept helping them the whole time with everything, even if he didn't appear in the early live shows :) he never left their side and he stuck with them the whole time without nagging and bitching about them not appreciating what he did! So the band thought that they wanted to give back to what he's done to them by making him an official, which is so fucking cool of them xD i hope he is an official, he deserves it! and its not gonna change anything, for all those who say they should stick with being 3..... I LOVE JASON WHITE! I LOVE GREEN DAY!!!

I don't see Jason as a real official Green Day member, because it's a little bit weird for me

I always see Green Day as 3 members

I'm unnaccustomed to Jason

I don't want to say, that I don't like him, he's really awesome

But for me Green Day were and still are 3 people

• 1 month later...

Jason is definitely the fourth member. He plays with Billie, Mike, and Tre in the studio and onstage. I read somewhere (sorry, I forget where, can't link) that he has a poor self-image, and that's why he doesn't want to be featured on merchandise and most promotional stuff.

I've heard that BJ and co. have asked him to join them officially in the past, but he always declined... maybe he just got fed up with them asking and just said "OK"?

I've heard that BJ and co. have asked him to join them officially in the past, but he always declined... maybe he just got fed up with them asking and just said "OK"?

I can see why he'd be reluctant to call himself an "official member" of the band: there are 17 pages of people discussing whether he is or isn't, or should or shouldn't be just on here. They made their name as a trio so that's just what people think of as Green Day, I'm sure he'd probably be happy to just be the "fourth guy", official member or not. I can think of worse things than playing and touring with Green Day...

All I would say is that I think they sound better with him than they did without him. :toocool:

Is Jason Freese the 5th member? :P

Yeah and Jeff the 6th

Btw, I don't consider him as a official member

Here's the REAL controversial question.

Is Jason a better guitar player than Billie?..... In my opinion no he's Not better than Billie and again in my opinion Billie belongs right up there with the greats including, Slash, CeCe Deville and Hendrix but that's just my opinion!

(I honestly have no idea, but I'd believe it.)

Jason White deserve to be fourth member just because he has the "kill me, please" face most of the time x)! I think that it's impossible not to have emotions in front of thousands of people! Just kidding, Jason is a great guitar player and also great singer and my personal opinion is that Green Day wouldn't be Green Day without him. <3 Jason :P

i think he is an official member :) Cuz well, he was there with them before the band even started, he was there from the beginning! And when the band got together, he himself didn't want to be an official member cuz he knew that GD are 3 not 4, he accepted the fact and kept helping them the whole time with everything, even if he didn't appear in the early live shows :) he never left their side and he stuck with them the whole time without nagging and bitching about them not appreciating what he did! So the band thought that they wanted to give back to what he's done to them by making him an official, which is so fucking cool of them xD i hope he is an official, he deserves it! and its not gonna change anything, for all those who say they should stick with being 3..... I LOVE JASON WHITE! I LOVE GREEN DAY!!!

I'm sorry but everything you said was wrong, it was billie, mike, and Al Sobrante then it was Billie, Mike, and Tre, now it's Billie Mike Tre and Jason

I'm sorry but everything you said was wrong, it was billie, mike, and Al Sobrante then it was Billie, Mike, and Tre, now it's Billie Mike Tre and Jason

Hes had his head in the window since 94 (pinhead gunpowder, WICA video) and has been a touring member since 2000, not the very beginning but not recent.

Hes had his head in the window since 94 (pinhead gunpowder, WICA video) and has been a touring member since 2000, not the very beginning but not recent.

Oh ok, I thought he meant he'd been with green day since 87, but I totally agree Jason is a member

• 1 year later...

Archived