Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

People are getting confused more and more. After putting out a DVD with Jason on the cover, it's pretty stupid to release a press statement where he isn't listed as a member. It doesn't really matter whether he's a member or not, but it should be consistent at least.

I kind of like that they haven't made an official statement or made any attempt to clear up the confusion :lol:. That's how they've always done things with Jason, he and the band have just got on with making music and playing shows and the rest of it, he does what he does with them and they don't seem to be bothered about labeling him. No reason to change that really, I like their style :D

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of like that they haven't made an official statement or made any attempt to clear up the confusion :lol:. That's how they've always done things with Jason, he and the band have just got on with making music and playing shows and the rest of it, he does what he does with them and they don't seem to be bothered about labeling him. No reason to change that really, I like their style :D

That's the thing though...I think the band HAS lebeled him. In all of their most recent interveiws and in the release of Cuatro, they have said on many occasions that he is an official member :-D

I think the only thing that changed about Jason White status is the way he was credited on the trilogy booklets. He didn't come up on stage with the trio when they introduced the Cuatro and Broadway Idiot documentaries at SXSW.

Whenever they refer to him as a member I think it's a term of endearment since he's been their touring guitarist for so long but they never get asked about Jason Freeze and I bet if they did they will refer to him as member as well.

That's the thing though...I think the band HAS lebeled him. In all of their most recent interveiws and in the release of Cuatro, they have said on many occasions that he is an official member :-D

If you try and find a quote from the band, you'll find they've never actually used the word official ;) . They've said he's the "fourth member" in an off hand way and part of the band etc but "official" is just a word fans have come up with to describe him. Hence this thread haha.

still it doesn't really matter that much wheither he is official or not

That sounded funny to me for some reason. :lol:

If you try and find a quote from the band, you'll find they've never actually used the word official ;) . They've said he's the "fourth member" in an off hand way and part of the band etc but "official" is just a word fans have come up with to describe him. Hence this thread haha.

Pfft! Semantics! :-P

Well, let's recap, on VH1's CUATRO! Highlights Jason is listed as a member, In ¡UNO! ¡DOS! and ¡TRÉ! hes listed as a member too, in ¡Cuatro! he appears on the cover and in the main menu, Mike in a recent interview, said that they're just 4 GUYS in a band. The recent press release doesn't lists Jason as a member, Idiot Nation neither.

So for me the evidence says that he is a member

Well, let's recap, on VH1's CUATRO! Highlights Jason is listed as a member, In ¡UNO! ¡DOS! and ¡TRÉ! hes listed as a member too, in ¡Cuatro! he appears on the cover and in the main menu, Mike in a recent interview, said that they're just 4 GUYS in a band. The recent press release doesn't lists Jason as a member, Idiot Nation neither.

So for me the evidence says that he is a member

From that body of evidence, it seems like the only issue here is media ignorance.

From that body of evidence, it seems like the only issue here is media ignorance.

mmm.. Thanks

Still what's the problem with Jason being a member he performs live with Green Day and being a member won't change how he plays

mmm.. Thanks

Still what's the problem with Jason being a member he performs live with Green Day and being a member won't change how he plays

Does Jason contribute to the writing process in the same way as BJ, Mike, and Tre? That might be a make or break for some people.

Does Jason contribute to the writing process in the same way as BJ, Mike, and Tre? That might be a make or break for some people.

No he's not listed as writer in any of the albums

That might be the issue. I suppose it's the difference between Shakespeare and the most talented actor in his troupe.

Mike made a weird comment about Jason in one article (I don't remember which one). He said something about how Jason was cool because even when he did speak his mind, he knew that it might not be considered at all and he was okay with that. I think that he is now an official member of Green Day, but he does not bring as much to the table as the others may. Billie brings the most to the table, and Mike and Tre flesh out / add ideas to what Billie brings in (most of the time). And I think Jason may be helping with some of the guitar parts, but more perfecting them than writing them. But I believe him to be the fourth member of Green Day. And I'm okay with it. As long as no one leaves (in a coffin or otherwise).

One of the best things Green Day has ever done. The guy is such a HUGE asset, but unfortunately he often gets overlooked.

He may seem shy, but the guy can sure play a guitar!

Mike made a weird comment about Jason in one article (I don't remember which one). He said something about how Jason was cool because even when he did speak his mind, he knew that it might not be considered at all and he was okay with that. I think that he is now an official member of Green Day, but he does not bring as much to the table as the others may. Billie brings the most to the table, and Mike and Tre flesh out / add ideas to what Billie brings in (most of the time). And I think Jason may be helping with some of the guitar parts, but more perfecting them than writing them. But I believe him to be the fourth member of Green Day. And I'm okay with it. As long as no one leaves (in a coffin or otherwise).

He said that Jason's is "grounded but arbitrary". As in Jason is a really simple guy who has realistic and reasonable ideas but he still manages to contribute unique suggestions. While the other three are firing off crazy ideas he's keeping them in a straight mind and making sure they don't get too crazy, although he's open to go along with them on their wild adventures :lol:

It's always "Green Day". But as far as I know he wasn't part of the writing process (they probably decided to put him in afterwards).

But this doesn't matter, being "official" means that he's not paid only once as a studio musician but getting part of the earnings of the trilogy (in Jason's case only for playing, not writing).

It's the same with concerts, addtional members are getting paid, official members not.

Jason is not only with the other 3 on the cover of ¡Cuatro!, but he is also listed (in the same font size) with the other 3 on the inside.

I don't see why anyone would try to deny this. I mean, the guy has been with them since, what, '99? If he wasn't an official member at this point I think that would be an insult quite honestly.

His Instagram account can't be considered as a proof that he is a official member of the band. If he wanted a Instagram account, he could have get it without being a Green Day's member. However, he is the fourth member because he is credited in the trilogy. He participated in the recording process. To be honest, it almost sounds like Billie Joe, Mike and Tré decided that Jason was the fourth member no matter what the record label thinks.

Maybe that's why BJ called him the 'unofficial' fourth member? Could be Jason's not necessarily under contract to Warner/Reprise. Does he collect royalties from sales of the trilogy albums? That would probably be a bigger factor in determining his true status more than social media accounts or his name printed in the liner notes.

Maybe that's why BJ called him the 'unofficial' fourth member? Could be Jason's not necessarily under contract to Warner/Reprise. Does he collect royalties from sales of the trilogy albums? That would probably be a bigger factor in determining his true status more than social media accounts or his name printed in the liner notes.

Where did Billie ever call him unofficial??

Where did Billie ever call him unofficial??

I was referring to the Guitar World interview, but I had the quote wrong.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guitarworld.com%2Finterview-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-uno-dos-and-tre%3Fpage%3D0%2C1&ei=WStfUYiSE8OQ2AWim4GgBQ&usg=AFQjCNE-8PfxqAjMa-uIE0xB6EYwrAz1SQ&sig2=1dg8-QfttZdBaOyBFSPhIA

Still, that's not really my point. Whether or not Jason has a contract with the band and the label should be the irrefutable evidence one way or the other, I would think.

Archived