Jason White official Green Day member?

melissastrong95

Well of all the quotes and article clippings that have been brought into the discussion, most didn't indicate the official status either. At first it seemed so, but on a second reading you realize that it was worded almost intentionally to deceive us. I often wonder if the group is almost playing a joke on us by not stating it clearly. It just seems like such a big thing to not publicize at all really. I'd be really amused if it was a joke ;)

Yeah I kind of think of it as maybe not going so far as being a joke, but just a thing where they don't care about labels so they don't care to label him even if fans want them to. Instead of making some big announcement or giving some kind of official definition they simply don't, his role in the band is what it is so there's no need. I like their subtle and relaxed way of going about it (especially if it irritates people desperate for him to be labelled as a bonus hehe :creep:) , it's cool.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I kind of think of it as maybe not going so far as being a joke, but just a thing where they don't care about labels so they don't care to label him even if fans want them to. Instead of making some big announcement or giving some kind of official definition they simply don't, his role in the band is what it is so there's no need. I like their subtle and relaxed way of going about it (especially if it irritates people desperate for him to be labelled as a bonus hehe :creep:) , it's cool.

I wonder if they even know O_O maybe they have no clue that people are wondering! XD That would be hilarious.

Wait so you dont even like Jason... oh that explains why you wont just see he is an official member

If I remember correctly BJ did say that Jason helped with the guitar tones on the trilogy, so I suppose that's where the confusion is coming from?

I'm not sure if Billie said that - I don't remember. All I know is that Jason played guitar on the albums, but it doesn't seem like he actually contributed any songwriting. ASCAP doesn't list him, so I'm going to accept that as true and assume he basically just played the guitar without changing things too much.

Now, responding to luvdgreen -

Whether any of us like or dislike Jason, and whether any of us want him to be in the band or not, should have NOTHING to do with looking at the evidence logically and objectively. Our own opinions should not come into our conclusions AT ALL; rather, we should be looking at ALL evidence equally in order to determine the facts.

In my opinion, most of the people here are being way too biased and a bit childish. Stop thinking with your hearts and use your brain instead. The evidence is contradictory - that can't be denied. It is not 100% obvious that Jason is an official member, nor is it 100% apparent that he's not a member of the band.

Everyone who does think Jason is an official member: You're being very biased and ignoring the following evidence: 1) No one has identified him as an official member, 2) They've only used the word "unofficial," 3) He's done no interviews, 4) He's not in most of the photo shoots and on no merch, 5) The official Green Day sites do not list him as an official member, 6) He's not credited on ASCAP (which means nothing in and of itself, though coupled with the "All music by Green Day" disclaimer in the trilogy booklets, could be telling), 7) He doesn't overall act in a way that is equal to the other members, etc. Consider all that when making your judgements.

Everyone who thinks Jason is not a member at all: You're being very biased as well, and ignoring the following evidence: 1) Jason is listed equally with the other 3 in the trilogy booklets, 2) They others in Green Day have mentioned that he's part of the band now, 3) They've been asked about it in interviews and have not denied that he's a member, 4) He is present in some photo shoots (namely, those for the trilogy album sleeves), etc. Consider all that when making your judgements.

As I have outlined above and previously mentioned, THE EVIDENCE IS CONTRADICTORY. There is no way around that fact. That said, we can NOT say for certain whether Jason is an official member or not a member of Green Day at all. The only thing we can say that is fair and addresses ALL evidence we have so far is to call him their official unofficial 4th member. That's exactly what Rob and Billie have said, in those words, and we should all accept that and refer to Jason thusly until future notice.

That is the last I'm going to say on the issue. People are being childish and biased and blinded by their own opinions, making it impossible for them to objectively and logically come to an accurate conclusion. What I'm saying here is about as accurate as we are able to be for now, so we should just stop with the arguing.

I wonder if they even know O_O maybe they have no clue that people are wondering! XD That would be hilarious.

Good point! They probably don't know :lol:. Although when there was that Idiot Club Q&A with Jason a few months ago about ten million people submitted questions about him being an official member, but strangely they didn't ask him about it. A deliberate move by Green Day's people because they don't wanna give him a label? Or just bad question picking? Hmm. Maybe once the band's back doing interviews we'll hear more from them on the subject. I kind of doubt it though, I get the vibe that they couldn't care less about defining his role and would rather just get on with doing what they do as a band.

When Pat Smear rejoined the Foo Fighters, there was no statement, there was no parade, he just appeared on recordings and in photos again after being a touring member. Similar to Mister White. But I'm not that fussed about what they call him, unofficial or not, Green Day will not play shows without additional musicians (Jason White being the main one). So to me, they are no longer a trio if they cannot perform as a trio.

Just my opinion on this, err, hot debate.

WHY DOES IT MATTER SO MUCH IF HE'S OFFICIAL OR NOT? He's more like this member of the band who is with them when he wants to. I mean, he's not in most interviews, but he's on the albums and plays with them on tour. Maybe he is official, maybe he's not. Doesn't really matter, 'cause he's still with the band

I've got to just say hat a few others are saying.. Ahem.

IT DOESN'T MATTER. AT ALL.

Some of you count him as an 'official' member, some of you don't. Nothing has been said by the band, we just know he does contribute on the albums & live shows, he's very good at what he does but other than that? We know nothing. The band has not saying whether he is or not so why the hell are we even sill arguing about this? [i say we, but it's the same 3 or 4 people].

I couldn't care either way. Green Day will always be Billie, Mike & Tre for me but if he was added as an 'official' member, whatever. I don't care & neither should you! We've been listening to him for so long now, why would it make a difference if his face was put on a few things? He gets the credit he deserves which is all that freaking matters.

Now please dear lord stop acting like little kids or I swear I will tuRN THIS CAR AROUND.

Guys, if it doesn't matter to YOU, then leave the thread. It in no way affects you, at all. Some of us actually enjoy talking about it a bit. I'm done with it really, but I'm still checking in on it occasionally to see if anything developed.

Seriously though, with no disrespect intended, if you don't care about it, then please leave the thread. Don't follow it, don't post on it, don't do anything. Just leave this one of MANY MANY threads on the forum alone. I myself post on about 5-6 frequently, but those 5-6 switch out every few days! It's not hard to stay busy on these forums.

I understand why you don't care about it, so try to understand why some of us do.

Again, no disrespect intended. I just don't enjoy people coming in here asking why we are discussing this in a forum meant for discussing things, no matter how trivial they are. :P

Guys, if it doesn't matter to YOU, then leave the thread. It in no way affects you, at all. Some of us actually enjoy talking about it a bit. I'm done with it really, but I'm still checking in on it occasionally to see if anything developed.

Seriously though, with no disrespect intended, if you don't care about it, then please leave the thread. Don't follow it, don't post on it, don't do anything. Just leave this one of MANY MANY threads on the forum alone. I myself post on about 5-6 frequently, but those 5-6 switch out every few days! It's not hard to stay busy on these forums.

I understand why you don't care about it, so try to understand why some of us do.

I've posted in here.. Twice, I think? The only reason being is that people were bitching each other out and it was pathetic. I'm all up for discussion, that's great that you are but people are taking this insanely seriously, as if it's a life or death situation to force everyone else to agree with them. Discussion is all good, but when it just turns into a childish fight? That's when people need to step in & remind us all that we're adults. I do find the topic interesting in some sense, but it's just complete insanity with how far people are taking this. One comment I read was someone calling someone else a fuckface or something similarly rude/childish? Myself & others wouldn't feel the need to make little reminders if people weren't being so daft about the whole thing.

Discussion = Good.

Bitching each other out = Bad.

I've posted in here.. Twice, I think? The only reason being is that people were bitching each other out and it was pathetic. I'm all up for discussion, that's great that you are but people are taking this insanely seriously, as if it's a life or death situation to force everyone else to agree with them. Discussion is all good, but when it just turns into a childish fight? That's when people need to step in & remind us all that we're adults. I do find the topic interesting in some sense, but it's just complete insanity with how far people are taking this. One comment I read was someone calling someone else a fuckface or something similarly rude/childish? Myself & others wouldn't feel the need to make little reminders if people weren't being so daft about the whole thing.

Discussion = Good.

I was being called the fuckface I believe and yes, that blew up out of nowhere. Needless to say, that shit got out of hand really quick. The other guy got really upset over my pointing something out and just blew up. He apologized later. I wasn't addressing that just to you either friend, several people have come in here saying that we shouldn't discuss it at all. But still, I'd rather have people bitching until the thread closes then have multiple people repeatedly say to not discuss it. Not you again I mean, but if you read over the past few pages you'll see like 4-5 different people say it.

I was being called the fuckface I believe and yes, that blew up out of nowhere. Needless to say, that shit got out of hand really quick. The other guy got really upset over my pointing something out and just blew up. He apologized later. I wasn't addressing that just to you either friend, several people have come in here saying that we shouldn't discuss it at all. But still, I'd rather have people bitching until the thread closes then have multiple people repeatedly say to not discuss it. Not you again I mean, but if you read over the past few pages you'll see like 4-5 different people say it.

Ah yes, it was. That part is where I kind of got 'oh my god what the hell is going on here whyyyy' and posted. It was pointlessly rude. Apology is good, but shouldn't of happened in the first place.That's no problem, I totally wouldn't mind if it was at me because, I'll be honest, I can be a pain in the patooty sometimes but I felt I needed to get the annoyance outta me :P

As long as it's no bitching, this thread should stay open as it's an interesting to hear peoples different opinions but if it turns to bitching & cussing each other out again, it just needs to stop, even if that is closing the thread. Just my two cents. :)

Ah yes, it was. That part is where I kind of got 'oh my god what the hell is going on here whyyyy' and posted. It was pointlessly rude. Apology is good, but shouldn't of happened in the first place.That's no problem, I totally wouldn't mind if it was at me because, I'll be honest, I can be a pain in the patooty sometimes but I felt I needed to get the annoyance outta me :P

As long as it's no bitching, this thread should stay open as it's an interesting to hear peoples different opinions but if it turns to bitching & cussing each other out again, it just needs to stop, even if that is closing the thread. Just my two cents. :)

Yea I wasn't too hurt by it either, it's just the internet. I did mention on the previous page that the thread should be closed until more relevant information is released concerning Jason in any way. Up to now we have discussed every aspect of the argument, especially since we have very little information to work through!

Discussion = Good.

Yeah my anger got over me yesterday and I have apologized to sensei last night. I'm usually good at not taking my anger out on those who I'm not angry at but lately it's been hard. Sorry to those else read the posts and got upset by it too.

Yea I wasn't too hurt by it either, it's just the internet. I did mention on the previous page that the thread should be closed until more relevant information is released concerning Jason in any way. Up to now we have discussed every aspect of the argument, especially since we have very little information to work through!

Very good point. As the band hasn't really said anything on the subject, been very vague about it, it's hard to kind of push the conversation further without it kind of dwindling to such situations. Bit of a shame as many of you seem very eager to know whats going on with him.

Yeah my anger got over me yesterday and I have apologized to sensei last night. I'm usually good at not taking my anger out on those who I'm not angry at but lately it's been hard. Sorry to those else read the posts and got upset by it too.

I know those kind of days, they're the worst. As long as it doesn't happen again! :P

I would like to say that if Jason did become 'official' or whatever, I think he deserves it. Like I said before, Green Day will always mean Billie, Mike & Tre to me, simply because that's how it's always been just Jason, I think he'd be pretty cool to have on the occasional poster.. :lol:

Very good point. As the band hasn't really said anything on the subject, been very vague about it, it's hard to kind of push the conversation further without it kind of dwindling to such situations. Bit of a shame as many of you seem very eager to know whats going on with him.

I know those kind of days, they're the worst. As long as it doesn't happen again! :P

I would like to say that if Jason did become 'official' or whatever, I think he deserves it. Like I said before, Green Day will always mean Billie, Mike & Tre to me, simply because that's how it's always been just Jason, I think he'd be pretty cool to have on the occasional poster.. :lol:

A few years ago my step-brother told me that Jason had been asked to be an official member but declined. I have no idea if that's true (and I'm starting to suspect it's not) but it got me thinking. I don't know if Jason would necessarily want to be a member. Joining one of the most successful trio rock bands of this time would have quite a bit of pressure attached to it.

First of: he's credited in the trilogy booklets exactly the same as BJ, Mike and Tré...and not as a studio musician.

A lot of people made good points here, such as:

The band has not said, or released a statement saying, that he's official.

He's on the pictures on the album booklet, but not on the promotional one's.

He's on the videos but not on the interviews for TV.

He's on the cover of 'Cuatro'.

And so on.

I personally like Jason and consider him a official member of the band. I think he added a lot to their live sound and he's a great musician. I really enjoyed his single 'Hungover/I'm a Mess'.

Anyways...official...unnofficial...the fact is he's been playing with the band for over 10 years...and that's cool in my book!!!

Now this is getting ridiculous.

But it wouldn't be the first time that a GD related press release has false information in it.

There are still too many arguments speaking for Jason being a member. Like the Cuatro movie poster. Or the end credits of the VH1 cut where Jason clearly isn't listed as an additional musician.

tumblr_mi4i2hMrIs1rc6bcqo1_r1_1280.png

Well well well :lol:

Now this is getting ridiculous.
But it wouldn't be the first time that a GD related press release has false information in it.
There are still too many arguments speaking for Jason being a member. Like the Cuatro movie poster. Or the end credits of the VH1 cut where Jason clearly isn't listed as an additional musician.

Ahh yes, but is that more a list of Trilogy personnel? He's credited equally on the Trilogy because he contributed to and played on it enough that he deserved to be credited equally. That doesn't necessarily mean he's an "equal" member of the band as a whole. Not saying he is or isn't, just saying I don't think those credits tell us either way.

And neither does that post on GD.com where they get things wrong all the time :P. Amusing though.

Archived